Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2024 Hungarian GP Race Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Yes, it's a speed circuit but also, tire deg. and pit strategy plays a factor as well. Mclarens look pretty much the team to beat.
    Verstappen is favourite to win at Spa. Red Bull are very good at straightline speed through low aerodynamic resistance and the Mercedes engine will not be as strong up the Eau Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Last year 2nd half of the season was good. Even 2021 to some extent was better. Other seasons, not much improvement.
    So the majority of the time, it's been lackluster.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

In my view it’s a right call from McLaren. Infact Piastri was leading the race & P2 driver got the strategy preference. Thats not right.
    Neither of their driver is capable to take fight with Max.hence the call is justified.
    McLaren made the wrong call on the pit stops and then heaped all the pressure on Lando to correct their mistake. In the end Lando did the right thing by obeying the team instructions but he should never have been placed in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Piastri deserved the win, only the pitwall call gave Lando the lead, Lando should have switched early to give him a chance to race for the win. He was stupid to wait so long.
    Agreed.

It was encouraging to see we had some pace to stay close to Lewis. I think a better qualifying result would have allowed Charles to take P3

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Verstappen is favourite to win at Spa. Red Bull are very good at straightline speed through low aerodynamic resistance and the Mercedes engine will not be as strong up the Eau Rouge.
    That's a possibility. Just 5 months ago, Ferrari looked to take the WCC standings title in 2nd place. Ferrari is now currently 3rd place in the WCC standings. 5 months ago, Checo looked good but he has diminished quite considerably and quite possibly looks to lose his seat after Spa. RedBull is a one man show against a 2 man show with Mclaren.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    It was encouraging to see we had some pace to stay close to Lewis. I think a better qualifying result would have allowed Charles to take P3
    A better qualifying result is not possible at the moment.

I don't understand why Leclerc followed Lewis into the pint and cut his stint so short. It always stumps me how we can build a positive tyre offset in one stint and then totally nullify it in the next. This is not the first time. The only acceptable explanation in my view is that he had cooked his tyres chasing down Max and Lewis and genuinely needed to stop. If this is not the case then it makes absolute no sense to me. That stop easily cost us a fight for the podium. Whether we would have won that fight is unknown, but we definitely would have been in the fight.

Apart from this, Leclerc drove a really good race and should be acknowledged for it. Well done to him.

Lec:
    “if this race can be the turning point of the season? i think the fact we came with specific goals was the only positive thing. last year we had the solution in our hands to fix things quickly… the situation now is unfortunately different.

it will take more to fix it and i don’t think there’s anything in the car to help us with our current problems. i’m sorry to say this but we have to wait before we see improvements.”

No further action on the Max-Lewis incident.

Lewis said post race interview that he thought it was a racing incident.

Max overshoots T1 and Lewis is "moving under braking" (Austria anyone??).

https://twitter.com/433_marc/status/1815066197836136888

Was just a racing incident, both late on brakes Lewis already turning in for the apex (not moving under breaking). I imagine if he took Lewis out the race then it would be a penalty.
    Forza Ferrari

Another Liberty Media boring production disguised as F1 racing. Even the ridiculous DRS could not create any excitement on this track. If it wasn’t for prima dona drivers whining on their radios, the commentators would have had nothing to say during the broadcast.

Next race - Spa…!! I assume we might struggle there, expecting P5/P6 finish. Then it’s upto 2nd half of the season, how much Ferrari will improve.
    Going by previous seasons, I don’t have much faith in this LOST team we so call Ferrari…most likely they’ll bring more useless downgrad3s and we’ll fight with Merc for the 3rd spot….will we get that 3rd place at the end of the year? Time will tell

Just out of curiousity, how has Ferrari been in "improving" in the 2nd half of the season in this turbo-hybrid era?
    Exactly my point, or ever since the unlimited track testing stopped in 2009….again, exactly my point

Yes, it's a speed circuit but also, tire deg. and pit strategy plays a factor as well. Mclarens look pretty much the team to beat.
    They look? They ARE the team to beat. Red bull are kind of lost with the their updates as of late as well, Max is pretty rattled when things are NOT “simply lovely” as he was flapping his gums about every time he won a race without any challenge or competition….

so I think it’s McLarens season to lose the championships this year if they’re not careful, cause we could very well see a good fight between Norris and piastry for the rest of the season

Was just a racing incident, both late on brakes Lewis already turning in for the apex (not moving under breaking). I imagine if he took Lewis out the race then it would be a penalty.
    It's interesting that Max avoided Lando's "dive bombs" in Austria 2x but Lando didn't avoid Max's dive bomb in Austria......and now Lewis in Hungary. Seems Max is more aware of the people around him and makes the necessary adjustments to avoid them as opposed to Lando and Lewis in these 2 races.

It's interesting that Max avoided Lando's "dive bombs" in Austria 2x but Lando didn't avoid Max's dive bomb in Austria......and now Lewis in Hungary. Seems Max is more aware of the people around him and makes the necessary adjustments to avoid them as opposed to Lando and Lewis in these 2 races.
    Max did not divebomb Lando in Austria though. Seems like Max is maybe the problem when that's 2 races and 2 cars he has hit....but yeah Max is super aware......
    Forza Ferrari

it's the passing car's responsibliity

but he can't dive bomb, say he's along side you, and say he's entitled to that space

no

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    it's the passing car's responsibliity

but he can't dive bomb, say he's along side you, and say he's entitled to that space

no
    So who said "If you no longer go for the gap that exists, you're no longer racing."

So who said "If you no longer go for the gap that exists, you're no longer racing."
    you're changing the debate like you always do

if we want to throw out the current sporting regulations for this stuff, i'd be the first one to agree with you

if max is going to do those divebombs, then Lewis is 100% allowed to turn on him, with the intention of taking him out of the race

senna was ruthless, but when michael was that way, he was criticized, i can go on and on about my opinions on this matter, but that's not the topic at hand

edit: and in the age of drs, on fresher tyres, if max can't get around cleanly, then maybe he isn't the driver everyone thinks he is
    also, that Merc was mighty in that third sector, i'll concede htis

Senna said it in his defence of taking out Prost pre-mediated, which he later admitted.
    Forza Ferrari

Senna said it in his defence of taking out Prost pre-mediated, which he later admitted.
    100% accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    you're changing the debate like you always do

if we want to throw out the current sporting regulations for this stuff, i'd be the first one to agree with you

if max is going to do those divebombs, then Lewis is 100% allowed to turn on him, with the intention of taking him out of the race

senna was ruthless, but when michael was that way, he was criticized, i can go on and on about my opinions on this matter, but that's not the topic at hand

edit: and in the age of drs, on fresher tyres, if max can't get around cleanly, then maybe he isn't the driver everyone thinks he is
    also, that Merc was mighty in that third sector, i'll concede htis
    Look, Max avoided Norris's dive bombs in Austria 2x without colliding into Norris. Max even went off the track. So avoiding someone who is dive bombing can be done.

And yet some of the top F1 drivers follow this mindset.

I would rather see drivers taking each other out by being aggressive than suffer through “tire management” processions.
    Bring back refueling and get rid of the two compound rule. Having cars on much different strategies would create better racing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hajj View Post
    I would rather see drivers taking each other out by being aggressive than suffer through “tire management” processions.
    Bring back refueling and get rid of the two compound rule. Having cars on much different strategies would create better racing.
    sadly refueling is NOT part of F1's plan and will NEVER be again.....i am glad i've lived through that as well as the tire wars.....the GOOD 'ol days

Look, Max avoided Norris's dive bombs in Austria 2x without colliding into Norris. Max even went off the track. So avoiding someone who is dive bombing can be done.
    i didn't say it can't be done, you should be able to do the over under and get that position back, or let them out brake themselves and wind up in the gravel. ( that's the other thing, bring back gravel )

but are we referring to the move in austria where they made contact or the one before where max just goes off track and floors it to keep position instead of racing?