Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: SF-24 Challenger Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Τhat one changed at Monaco has no real issue (just a light was on and replaced so it was changed, and nothing was really wrong).
    That one at Imola too had pretty much the same issue (precaution cause a thermo light turned on , changed to check , nothing wrong)

So both engines are deemed just fine, and ready to be used , no mileage really on them.
    Thanks for the info Aroutis what a relief!!!!

Forza Jules

I believe these engines(ICE portion) can now go to 8000km rather than the usual 6000km to 7000km.

I read that somewhere.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Ferrari: the aerodynamic development package introduced at Imola did not require cross-checking by comparing it in the simulator with the solutions adopted until the previous race. In practice, the evolved version of the Ferrari SF-24 was brilliantly promoted.

In Canada, the car will adopt a much more relaxed aerodynamic configuration than at Imola and Monaco. It is therefore the ground effect base which will have to support the majority of the load. Starting from a basic aerodynamic configuration at medium and low load, the Maranello engineers also tried to use the engine in a way to avoid "clipping" at the end of the straight (i.e. falling of top speed due to depletion of electrical charge).

Saw the weather forecast for all 3 days at the CanadianGP and it looks very wet for all 3 days.

Could be a lottery qualifying and lottery race.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Saw the weather forecast for all 3 days at the CanadianGP and it looks very wet for all 3 days.

Could be a lottery qualifying and lottery race.
    hopefully that lottery will benefit us more so than others

It will rain tomorrow, it's been very hot and humid the last 5 days. After it rains, we'll have a better idea of what the weather will be like for the weekend. Hopefully it will be a dry race. I wish this hot and humid weather would have lasted into the weekend, RB would have struggled with tyre temperatures...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It will rain tomorrow, it's been very hot and humid the last 5 days. After it rains, we'll have a better idea of what the weather will be like for the weekend. Hopefully it will be a dry race. I wish this hot and humid weather would have lasted into the weekend, RB would have struggled with tyre temperatures...
    yeah, i too wished it was hot and humid throughout the weekend, as we tend to do better when the tarmac really hot as well as hot temperatures....but maybe the sf24 EVO will be better when temps are NOT so hot the way it was in teh past...we'll see

one thing's for sure i'll come prepared with ponchos and umbrellas JUST in case.....LOL

We have some kind of an rear suspension upgrade in Montreal, which should give the car even better traction out of slow corners. I have no more info, but that's what I'm hearing.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    We have some kind of an rear suspension upgrade in Montreal, which should give the car even better traction out of slow corners. I have no more info, but that's what I'm hearing.
    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...ione/10620445/

Ferrari: the reasons why the SF-24 struggled badly over the weekend in Canada and possible improvements to combat this.
    - Leclerc and Sainz had a good start to the weekend in mixed conditions with stable track temperatures, providing positive feedback. On Saturday everything changed, the temperatures, combined with a slightly abrasive asphalt, which complicated the running index of the car and made it very unstable.
    - In fact, the usage window remained closed and the drivers were unable to push on the tires properly. This is an element which had already appeared in China and which partially limited the performance of the SF-24. Here the car dramatically lost its way to the correct settings, but the engineers' task was not easy because there was a defect that cannot yet be fixed without updates.
    - As we know, engineers can only change very few things in the parc ferme, and one of them concerns the pressures. Pirelli transmits minimum requirements to be respected which guarantee the integrity of the carcass, minimum values ​​below which it is not possible to go down, while reasonably higher starting pressures can be used. It is not necessary to have a maximum index simply because it is dictated by the significant drop in grip beyond certain values, which the teams know very well. The tire pressure at a standstill is about 10 psi lower than the stabilized pressure at which the car is running.
    - The SF-24 was born not to consume tires and it has proven it. On long stints with high temperatures, it is the most consistent car until the last lap in the event of strong degradation, while it is too soft if the tire is new. In Montreal, Leclerc and Sainz's problems prevented further scrutiny, but the main problem was hitting the usage window during qualifying. This failure forced the Ferraris to leave Q3 by a few thousandths.
    - How to resolve this? More aerodynamic load is needed to push the tire down and produce more energy, which should indirectly improve the quality and preference of pressure use when grip conditions are low, as has been the case in Canada. This is why Ferrari is making a major effort to bring new parts to Spain, a new floor which should increase the load-bearing force, and also to respond to the competition.
    A question to everybody who might knows/ undestend better then me. (for real ,just for conversation)
    1st what the imola upgrade (witch was huge and consume 25% of the budget) supposed to bring to the car ? Why it looks that all the weeknesses remains ? Is it a total performance gain ?? why i see not such increase because for example in Miami ( before upgrade) we where not that bad in race pace / degradation etc. The qualy problems is the same before and after upgrade. Overall problems in temperature /surface changes ,even the smallest is the same . So i wonder what all that big package really gave us. To me it looks as the same car bafore and after. The same weeknesses AND the same advantages.
    The only thing that i read in before Imola analyst's about what the package could bring, is that it opens a new door for further upgrades. That it changes the whole platform and the next upgrades (that can be interpreted only to this new design ( new sidepods ) ) will bring the performance leap we want .
    This is understandable, but it hasnt confirmed yet ( so we dont actually know that it will work) and 2nly i thought ( and a lot of others even "experts") that even in the 1st spec ( Imola) the new package would bring something new (better) to the performance ( wider window , better race pace , better tire activation / usage in lower temperatures etc) and this didnt happened.
    Another thing ( hope im not boring you) is that IF these new upgrades actually increase the overall load and start put more energy to the tires ( thing that supposedly will fix ( more or less) our weaknesses) , doesn't it might mess our good degradation? Wil it might be a case to move to a more last years concept with good 1 lap ( and just the 1st in the race) performance and bad race pace ( tire management) ?
    If you want , your thoughts ?
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    A question to everybody who might knows/ undestend better then me. (for real ,just for conversation)
    1st what the imola upgrade (witch was huge and consume 25% of the budget) supposed to bring to the car ? Why it looks that all the weeknesses remains ? Is it a total performance gain ?? why i see not such increase because for example in Miami ( before upgrade) we where not that bad in race pace / degradation etc. The qualy problems is the same before and after upgrade. Overall problems in temperature /surface changes ,even the smallest is the same . So i wonder what all that big package really gave us. To me it looks as the same car bafore and after. The same weeknesses AND the same advantages.
    The only thing that i read in before Imola analyst's about what the package could bring, is that it opens a new door for further upgrades. That it changes the whole platform and the next upgrades (that can be interpreted only to this new design ( new sidepods ) ) will bring the performance leap we want .
    This is understandable, but it hasnt confirmed yet ( so we dont actually know that it will work) and 2nly i thought ( and a lot of others even "experts") that even in the 1st spec ( Imola) the new package would bring something new (better) to the performance ( wider window , better race pace , better tire activation / usage in lower temperatures etc) and this didnt happened.
    Another thing ( hope im not boring you) is that IF these new upgrades actually increase the overall load and start put more energy to the tires ( thing that supposedly will fix ( more or less) our weaknesses) , doesn't it might mess our good degradation? Wil it might be a case to move to a more last years concept with good 1 lap ( and just the 1st in the race) performance and bad race pace ( tire management) ?
    I can understand the questions but here's the thing. We had Imola to put the upgrade on, race the car, fully aware it would take at least 3 races to fully understand it.
    Then came Monaco which is an one off (meaning you can't really understand something from it), then came Canada which it was wet and cold, so now we need to scrap that, specially if we have to take into consideration the engine issues for Leclerc.
    So , we now head to the next race. See where I go with this?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    I can understand the questions but here's the thing. We had Imola to put the upgrade on, race the car, fully aware it would take at least 3 races to fully understand it.
    Then came Monaco which is an one off (meaning you can't really understand something from it), then came Canada which it was wet and cold, so now we need to scrap that, specially if we have to take into consideration the engine issues for Leclerc.
    So , we now head to the next race. See where I go with this?
    Ok!! That if Monaco/ Canada where "normal" races where the engineers could "read"/understand better the car, we could extract more from this package and even more with the next upgrades?
    Yehh , i see it. and you have a (very good ) point
    The only frustrating thing ,is that Mcl happened to find gold with their upgrades in Miami. Even themselves cant really understand how good/stable/all around their car had become
    Lets hope our turn will come soon enough!
    Last edited by PURE PASSION; 12th June 2024 at 11:02.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Ok!! That if Monaco/ Canada where "normal" races where the engineers could "read"/understand better the car, we could extract more from this package and even more with the next upgrades?
    Yehh , i see it. and you have a (very good ) point
    The only frustrating thing ,is that Mcl happened to find gold with their upgrades in Miami. Even themselves cant really understand how good/stable/all around their car had become
    Lets hope our turn will come soon enough!
    Keep in mind they started their upgrade installation a race earlier so they had more time to tune it than us ;)
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Anyone come across what happened to Leclerc's engine at the CanadianGP? I haven't come across anything. Ferrari is keeping tight lipped about it at the moment.

1) What was the issue as to why his car dropped 80hp according to a source?
    2) Will he have to take a new engine or component due to the mishap?
    3) Can it be salvaged instead of having to take a new engine or component?

Hopefully we here something before Catalunya.

Anyone come across what happened to Leclerc's engine at the CanadianGP? I haven't come across anything. Ferrari is keeping tight lipped about it at the moment.

1) I think it's some kind of protecting mechanism so we can use that enigne again when the problem is fixed
    Look like a dream team is coming

The engine is fine and is reusable. It was a misfire problem (Lec is haunted by this problem since his 2nd race with Ferrari). Sources say that it's not something special ,just something that couldn't solve at the moment. Lec on the other hand said that it's something that might cause a problem later in the season (don't know what that might be or what he ment)

Quote Originally Posted by Aviamata View Post
    1) I think it's some kind of protecting mechanism so we can use that enigne again when the problem is fixed
    The engine is fine and is reusable. It was a misfire problem (Lec is haunted by this problem since his 2nd race with Ferrari). Sources say that it's not something special ,just something that couldn't solve at the moment. Lec on the other hand said that it's something that might cause a problem later in the season (don't know what that might be or what he ment)
    Hopefully it's a software issue.

Possibly the reboot in the pit when Leclerc had to shut off then turn back on gave the system a re-set.

Leclerc mentioned it earlier, but the update package for Imola was designed prior to knowing the defects of the current car. If you recall, they were talking about this update at launch. Anything learned since the beginning of the season will be addressed in a future update.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

you have to remember other teams are upgrading too.

look at how far we were to red bull before imola, compared to with those updates, and they weren't even dialed in yet

the imola updates were planned before the qualifying weakness was identified, it was identified during pre season testing, this is the typical turn around time required

but yes, it would seem Mclaren had a better upgrade than we, but i suspect this will stop, or, we have a lot to gain by switching to that suspension concept. but again, we haven't had as many races to dial in as Mclaren, so there's still more to see. Spain is the ultimate test track, assuming no weather.

Hopefully it's a software issue.

Possibly the reboot in the pit when Leclerc had to shut off then turn back on gave the system a re-set.
    it reminds me of that scary moment during last year's le mans race.

he said the reset made it better, but it was still weird. the fact that the reset made it better makes me think it's something that will just go away. but they need to add some other way to check to make sure they don't need to do this again.

the silver lining is, if you can call it that, is that it happened on a weekend we were screwed anyways. who knows, without that issue, leclerc may have been able to get atleast some points.

It was a sensor issue. The control system fed the sensor wrong data and the computer system acted on that. Hard reboot fixed the issue but it was already too late.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    It was a sensor issue. The control system fed the sensor wrong data and the computer system acted on that. Hard reboot fixed the issue but it was already too late.
    was that the same sensor as in Monaco though

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    was that the same sensor as in Monaco though
    it may have been something different in Monaco, as they installed a different power unit as a precautionary measure
    hopefully they'll sort ALL that stuff out before spain

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    it reminds me of that scary moment during last year's le mans race.

he said the reset made it better, but it was still weird. the fact that the reset made it better makes me think it's something that will just go away. but they need to add some other way to check to make sure they don't need to do this again.

the silver lining is, if you can call it that, is that it happened on a weekend we were screwed anyways. who knows, without that issue, leclerc may have been able to get atleast some points.
    From what I read, almost everybody planning new updates for next 2-3 races. So let's see who will settle on top after this 2nd round of upgrades.

From what I read, almost everybody planning new updates for next 2-3 races. So let's see who will settle on top after this 2nd round of upgrades.
    Mclaren isn't going to bring anything major like we've seen before.

Red Bull's won't be big either, everyone is converging.

if we fix the qualifying, we can race.

i'm curious to see HOW our package will work in Barcelona, as it is a track that we've seen in the past that can highlight the aerodynamics weaknesses of a car quite well

we still have to have a proper race weekend to fully extract the maximum from our new package as imola was the only proper race we had to try and test our EVO package.

time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    i'm curious to see HOW our package will work in Barcelona, as it is a track that we've seen in the past that can highlight the aerodynamics weaknesses of a car quite well

we still have to have a proper race weekend to fully extract the maximum from our new package as imola was the only proper race we had to try and test our EVO package.

time will tell.
    From what i have read (dont konw if i missed something) it might be a chance to not have the parts in Spain. I read that we must ( want?) to have 3 parts read to bring them to Spain . Otherwise it postponed to Silverstone. Havent read the hall post wehre it mentioned, but something like they want to be sure both drivers can have it+ spare .If thats the case its quite odd since we dont have such obligation to Sainz (unless its because its Spain ) and not much of a trouble and lots of teams do it(to bring an update for 1 driver) .McL did it Miami and Merc propably more the 1 time.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

From what i have read (dont konw if i missed something) it might be a chance to not have the parts in Spain. I read that we must ( want?) to have 3 parts read to bring them to Spain . Otherwise it postponed to Silverstone. Havent read the hall post wehre it mentioned, but something like they want to be sure both drivers can have it+ spare .If thats the case its quite odd since we dont have such obligation to Sainz (unless its because its Spain ) and not much of a trouble and lots of teams do it(to bring an update for 1 driver) .McL did it Miami and Merc propably more the 1 time.
    exactly, just bring ONE set + spare for Charles, as he's the #1 driver....Sainz is gone at the end of the year (thanks for your services)....who cares if it's his HOME race....

there SHOULD be MAXIMUM concentration on our lead/#1 driver, which we ALL know it's Charles.

Sorry to post it here. I was watcing LeMan hyperpole. We and up 4-5 .Dont know what would have happen , but 7min to the end Fuoco was having a very good lap with good S1 and purlple S2 .End then A BMW caused a redflag and ruined his lap !!
    On the restart he abandoned his try and went to pit (ended 5th) , PIER GUIDI couldnt do much (4th) and on their final lap 1st a Cadillac and then a Porsche took the pole.
    So once again something must heve to happen to ruin our result. This year our hypercar team have a lot of misfortune. dont talk about the BoP that hurt us a lot of times.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Sorry to post it here. I was watcing LeMan hyperpole. We and up 4-5 .Dont know what would have happen , but 7min to the end Fuoco was having a very good lap with good S1 and purlple S2 .End then A BMW caused a redflag and ruined his lap !!
    On the restart he abandoned his try and went to pit (ended 5th) , PIER GUIDI couldnt do much (4th) and on their final lap 1st a Cadillac and then a Porsche took the pole.
    So once again something must heve to happen to ruin our result. This year our hypercar team have a lot of misfortune. dont talk about the BoP that hurt us a lot of times.
    why exactly can't we talk about BoP? That's the first thing i thought of. It's going to be VERY hard to go back to back.