Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix - Race Thread

Is there anything coming from the team or otherwise that suggests this season isn't another write-off?

Race pace:

Stint 1 (all softs):
    VER, 38.196
    LEC, +0.656
    PER, +0.700 (more laps)
    SAI, +1.414
    HAM, +1.610
    ALO, +1.834
    RUS, +1.849

Stint 3: (all hards)
    VER, 36.804 (less laps)
    PER, +0.233
    ALO, +0.276
    RUS, +0.791
    SAI, +0.831
    HAM, +0.885

Vasseur says that the tyre deg is a set-up issue. Big question is, will they be able to fix it this season? At the end of the day, nothing has changed since France 22. Why should we be able to fix it in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post
    Vasseur says that the tyre deg is a set-up issue. Big question is, will they be able to fix it this season? At the end of the day, nothing has changed since France 22. Why should we be able to fix it in the first place?
    They had 3 days of testing, FP1, FP2, and FP3 to get the car setup right.

They had 3 days testing in this track last week.
    They had the whole FP1, FP2, FP3 this week
    I have no idea what the **** they'd done with the set-up in those days lol

Quote Originally Posted by elnano14 View Post
    They had 3 days testing in this track last week.
    They had the whole FP1, FP2, FP3 this week
    I have no idea what the **** they'd done with the set-up in those days lol

they tried the wobbling rear wing.

but its difficult to believe its all are related to set-up. according to what our drivers said, for example, leclerc said something like: we knew during the tests that we were behind AM and RB in the race pace. during the practice, we thought it might be not true, but in the race, we understood that all our predictions in the tests were right.

Quote Originally Posted by stasera View Post
    [/B]

they tried the wobbling rear wing.

but its difficult to believe its all are related to set-up. according to what our drivers said, for example, leclerc said something like: we knew during the tests that we were behind AM and RB in the race pace. during the practice, we thought it might be not true, but in the race, we understood that all our predictions in the tests were right.
    Where did he say that we are behind Aston Martin?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    With Charles we are the second fastest team. With Sainz we aren’t.

dude, everyone says like that

https://twitter.com/marcamotor/statu...QUgX78Nmg&s=19

After the test I think we were hoping that we were wrong in predicting things. (rumours about the race pace better than Ferrari during the testing) But we were right. We are very far from them in race pace, and that was unfortunately unexpected

Charles Leclerc

After the test I think we were hoping that we were wrong in predicting things. (rumours about the race pace better than Ferrari during the testing) But we were right. We are very far from them in race pace, and that was unfortunately unexpected

Charles Leclerc
    Thats about Red Bull.
    Forza Ferrari

So during qualifying, they shut down Leclerc to "save the tires."

Then Ferrari decided to change the ERS and CE on Leclerc's car......to include Sainz's car whom had the CE(?) changed as well.

So did Ferrari stop Leclerc during qualifying to just "save the tires" or did they see something regarding the ERS or CE and stopped him early so they could change it later.

hmmmmm....something to think about it.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

I am fundamentally optimistic when tackling those types of questions, so I apologise if I sound too naïve to some. France 2022 was a special event with a front-limited track, where Ferrari was not ready for the challenge. In Bahrain, a race-winner car is a car with excellent motricity out of corners. This characteristic was a defining factor of our previous car but was surprisingly gone since. But if we step back, we must recognise that Bahrain is a pretty unique track in what it demands and that teams have spent countless kilometres trying to set up their cars on this non-representative race. I can see two types of teams: The ones that have used these thousands of km to optimise their car for this unique race as much as they can but will probably struggle when they have to discover their cars in a totally different environment. On the other hand, some teams might have tried to use this track to test many different options, not necessarily adapted for this particular race track but anticipating the need for a broader range of setups for other and different tracks.

I think Ferrari is in the latter category, and I hope this explains why the performance was relatively poor today. As described, we have spent much of our testing time trying setups, different wings, and low downforce configurations. But it is possible that we were a bit carried away by those different tests and did not dedicate enough time to prepare for this event compared to other teams. As such, despite these thousands of km done on this track, we did not come up with the right set-up. Mercedes seems to also be in that situation since they were still comparing different rear wings during FP3.

I hope teams like AM or RB have focused so much on preparing this first event (hence their good results) that they will be a bit lost with their cars when it is about preparing them for other tracks. Although, to be honest, this does not sound like RB, but I would not be surprised if that were the case for Aston Martin or Williams.

*sigh*

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaronrouge View Post
    I am fundamentally optimistic when tackling those types of questions, so I apologise if I sound too naïve to some. France 2022 was a special event with a front-limited track, where Ferrari was not ready for the challenge. In Bahrain, a race-winner car is a car with excellent motricity out of corners. This characteristic was a defining factor of our previous car but was surprisingly gone since. But if we step back, we must recognise that Bahrain is a pretty unique track in what it demands and that teams have spent countless kilometres trying to set up their cars on this non-representative race. I can see two types of teams: The ones that have used these thousands of km to optimise their car for this unique race as much as they can but will probably struggle when they have to discover their cars in a totally different environment. On the other hand, some teams might have tried to use this track to test many different options, not necessarily adapted for this particular race track but anticipating the need for a broader range of setups for other and different tracks.

I think Ferrari is in the latter category, and I hope this explains why the performance was relatively poor today. As described, we have spent much of our testing time trying setups, different wings, and low downforce configurations. But it is possible that we were a bit carried away by those different tests and did not dedicate enough time to prepare for this event compared to other teams. As such, despite these thousands of km done on this track, we did not come up with the right set-up. Mercedes seems to also be in that situation since they were still comparing different rear wings during FP3.

I hope teams like AM or RB have focused so much on preparing this first event (hence their good results) that they will be a bit lost with their cars when it is about preparing them for other tracks. Although, to be honest, this does not sound like RB, but I would not be surprised if that were the case for Aston Martin or Williams.
    Don't hope for that, mate. You'll be bitterly disappointed. Red Bull are not fools. They won at 15 venues last season. Setting up a car for the venue at hand is among the basic requirements of F1 racing.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

This is too optimistic. Even if that’s the case, RB has an advantage of +1 second, even if it’s just 0.5 seconds on other tracks, the difference is too great to overcome.

Ferrari need to bring on the developments and transform the SF23 as the best car of 2023. They did it last year with the F1-75, before TD39 kicked in, they can do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaronrouge View Post

AM is not a concern. Charles had them covered and would've finished P3 easily. He had no threats from anyone behind, until his retirement.

But the RB19 is a perfect car. It doesn't have any weakness. In an abrasive track surface of Bahrain, it literally had zero tyre drop off. We only show a glimpse of its pace when Perez was pushing hard in his pursuit of Charles. Max on the other hand was in a cruse mode. It is scary to thing what he could've done if he actually had to push.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    AM is not a concern. Charles had them covered and would've finished P3 easily. He had no threats from anyone behind, until his retirement.

But the RB19 is a perfect car. It doesn't have any weakness. In an abrasive track surface of Bahrain, it literally had zero tyre drop off. We only show a glimpse of its pace when Perez was pushing hard in his pursuit of Charles. Max on the other hand was in a cruse mode. It is scary to thing what he could've done if he actually had to push.
    so as rational guys here, should we give up our hopes from this year? actually i gave up but i need to find some particles of a hope

so as rational guys here, should we give up our hopes from this year? actually i gave up but i need to find some particles of a hope
    If the gap is the same at Jeddah then I would say we have very little chance of beating Red Bull. Hopefully we are a lot closer.
    Forza Ferrari

I'm stunned the kind of leap AM has taken. When was the last time a team improved this much between two seasons under same regulations? And how good is Dan Fallows?

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    I'm stunned the kind of leap AM has taken. When was the last time a team improved this much between two seasons under same regulations? And how good is Dan Fallows?
    2020 - Pink Mercedes
    2023 - Green Red Bull

They took the easiest approach - copy the best and have moderate success.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I have suggested that very same ideology here on this forum to move the F1 department to the U.K. and I get that it has been tried before and it didn't work. (Barnard with the GTO).

(all I do is throw my hands up in the air............)
    to my knowledge Ferrari did this twice with Barnard: once in the late 80ies (paid him away from McLaren) (build him a developmentcenter called Guildford Technical Office (GTO)) and then again in the mid 90ies (again new company Ferrari Design and Development center in Shalford, Surrey, the 94 Hockenheim winner was a Barnard car). But the success was ... we know all.
    Todt was the man back then who brought everything together again in '96 where then Brawn and Bryne took over in Maranello. The rest is history.

the most memorable from the Ferrari - Barnard relationship was the sem-automatic gear

Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    2020 - Pink Mercedes
    2023 - Green Red Bull

They took the easiest approach - copy the best and have moderate success.
    First yes because it was a Pink Mercedes with Mercedes PU etc. in it ... easy
    but now the interesting thing you are playing down so easy: its a RB Copy designed for a exclusive HONDA PU that seems working not that bad with a completely different Mercedes PU an back (different engine layout, cooling, suspension geo, etc. etc.) ...

but as it seems all so easy ... your application in Maranello is welcome
    Last edited by Senna4Ever; 6th March 2023 at 08:51.
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
    to my knowledge Ferrari did this twice with Barnard: once in the late 80ies (paid him away from McLaren) (build him a developmentcenter called Guildford Technical Office (GTO)) and then again in the mid 90ies (again new company Ferrari Design and Development Entwicklungszentrum in Shalford, Surrey, the 94 Hockenheim winner was a Barnard car). But the success was ... we know all. Todt was the man back then who brought everything together again in '96 where then Brawn and Bryne took over in Maranello. The rest is history.
    Maybe we need to throw money to the best engineers, I don’t know. We are already facing a penalty with one of our drivers, and it’s only the second race. Two clear weaknesses which we weren’t able to solve for the first race, we looked unprepared and overwhelmed. What were they doing last year, after they decided to concentrate for 2023?

We shouldn't be focusing on the titles right now. The focus should be on solving the reliability and tyre wear issues. Both can be fixed quickly.

I still think that the SF23 is a very good car and it will win more races than the F1-75. Hopefully, starting from Jeddah, we will see some massive improvements. Ferrari must bring the new front and rear wings there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Budget cap + more time on the wind tunnel + recent hires from the Red Bull.

Plus Charles's retirement, yet another sunday driver from Carlos and Mercedes woes made them look good.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    We shouldn't be focusing on the titles right now. The focus should be on solving the reliability and tyre wear issues. Both can be fixed quickly.

I still think that the SF23 is a very good car and it will win more races than the F1-75. Hopefully, starting from Jeddah, we will see some massive improvements. Ferrari must bring the new front and rear wings there.
    It seems we will already have the first penalty for Charles in Jeddah. It’s a disgrace and shame. Brutal. If we continue like this, we won’t be in the Top 3 in the WCC.

Why will Charles have a penalty?
    Forza Ferrari

Why will Charles have a penalty?
    No confirmation, but according to following source it was a battery pack problem. My understanding is that it’s the part they changed before the race. Maybe they can still use the first pack.

https://t.co/dqPd4WIPFV

Taking small positives (because what else can we do!) at least there was no mistakes on the wall, good double stack and the car can defend in a straight line even against DRS.

I just don't see how we solve the tyre issue when we had the whole winter to solve a problem we knew a lot about and clearly didn't prioritise or did think we solved because the simulation said we did when in reality it didn't correlate to what happened on track.