Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Buildup, Practice & Qualifying Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    i'm giving Binotto the benefit of the doubt (at least for now). Towards the end of let's call it the Arrivabene regime, we were having frequent reliability issues, and not only that, we would bolt updates onto the car, and they would make us slower.

Since Binotto took over, we've seen updates that actually make the car go better, ( the PU update last season, and the Spain update this season ), and we've haven't seen mechanical failures for over a year until Spain.

Now, once that isn't true anymore, then we have serious problems. ( also, i think this race is going to be the litmus test for our updates so far )

As for the weather, the point I was trying to make was, yes, Ferrari could have done better given that the rain came. But the point I'm making is the mere fact it decided to rain exactly at 3pm. If it didn't rain, I think every member on this forum knows how that race would have played out.
    Binotto should be praised when he does something good, just as he should be criticized when he does something bad. One does not preclude the other. For instance, I praise him for getting the team to build a great car, at the same time, I can chastise him for failing to improve the group responsible for strategic calls during the race. I will praise him for the team developing upgrades that work, but I can also say that delaying their introduction was wrong and cost team points.

You can have both here.

We don't know how the race would have played out without rain, because we can't say, with any degree of certainty, that Ferrari would not have fallen into a similar trap and made similar mistakes. All we know is they did fall for the trap, and they did make the mistake and as far as I can tell that mistake has gone unpunished. This means that there no mechanism in place to prevent the same mistake happening again. I an sure they had a debrief and someone typed up an AAR, but the person responsible is still there as we have not heard otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post

We don't know how the race would have played out without rain, because we can't say, with any degree of certainty, that Ferrari would not have fallen into a similar trap and made similar mistakes. All we know is they did fall for the trap, and they did make the mistake and as far as I can tell that mistake has gone unpunished.
    Ferrari made 2 mistakes during the MonacoGP 2022:

First mistake was with Perez.

Second mistake was the double stack know the gap to Max was nearly impossible.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Ignominy will be enough in this case and heads don't need to roll? They must learn from their mistakes, reset
    and move on towards better?

Binotto should be praised when he does something good, just as he should be criticized when he does something bad. One does not preclude the other. For instance, I praise him for getting the team to build a great car, at the same time, I can chastise him for failing to improve the group responsible for strategic calls during the race. I will praise him for the team developing upgrades that work, but I can also say that delaying their introduction was wrong and cost team points.

You can have both here.

We don't know how the race would have played out without rain, because we can't say, with any degree of certainty, that Ferrari would not have fallen into a similar trap and made similar mistakes. All we know is they did fall for the trap, and they did make the mistake and as far as I can tell that mistake has gone unpunished. This means that there no mechanism in place to prevent the same mistake happening again. I an sure they had a debrief and someone typed up an AAR, but the person responsible is still there as we have not heard otherwise.
    yeah, delaying upgrades and then still having a reliability issue when you first bring those upgrades, that looks bad. Our reliability has to be impeccable going forward.

meanwhile the Fizzy Drink company continues to make a farce out of the budget cap, with their 9th sidepod design.

meanwhile the Fizzy Drink company continues to make a farce out of the budget cap, with their 9th sidepod design.
    I never expected them to adhere to the cap.

So then why the fruck should we????

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    The top 3 teams are not going to adhere to the cap. AMuS came out with an article about the logistics of Baku and Montreal. 2 races in 8 time zones. That's an additional budget cap issue.

Mick's crashes have made HAAS go over the budget cap.

There are teams, to include the top 3, that will go over the budget cap.

I asked that before as well and was just told off by a mod.

Because Greig thinks we should
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Because Greig thinks we should
    ha, ha.....ROTFL

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Agreed.

Given the track, the changing weather inclement.....requires a team to be HYPER alert instead of being "passive and reactive."

RedBull reacted with Perez because of Gasly and Seb changing to inters and the lap time difference between both drivers.

Ferrari reacted because of RedBull with Perez......2 laps later. Ferrari fell asleep.

Every team has the same data with regards to what other drivers are doing in lap times.
    Agreed. As I said. As long as they learn.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

You don't learn anything from human error if you don't take corrective action to ensure the same error doesn't happen again. Otherwise you keep effing up the same thing over and over and over and over. That is not improvement, that is stagnation. Have you seen Ferrari do anything to eliminate the same strategic errors they have been making for a decade? Have you seen anyone fired? No. There has been no improvement on the part of the strategists.

I am not saying "oh frack, human error" That is what you say about luck. You can't control that. You CAN control human error by eliminating the humans that make those errors and replacing them with those who don't. Or at the very least punishing those who made the error, let alone repeatedly make the same or similar errors.

There is zero room for error in this sport. ZERO. No error is acceptable. Remember how everyone got on Seb for constantly spinning the car? The pit walls keeps screwing up and it's okay, as long as we learn from it? Come on.

Like I said in other posts; "The reward for excellence is no punishment" Do you want to be go "okay" at something you do? Acceptable? Good? Excellent? or Elite? Excellent is the least acceptable level and the first one deserving of no punishment. Errors are to be punished because excellence does not allow for error.
    Of course I have seen things happening and if you tell me you have not, you must be blind.
    Everyone is bitter of how things went down at Monaco, but to reverse your question, is this team the same team to the one back in 2018-2019 quality wise?
    No it is not.
    This is why we 're erfed , because we simply did not expect that.
    So now we expect this to be rectified.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

You CAN control human error by eliminating the humans that make those errors and replacing them with those who don't. Or at the very least punishing those who made the error, let alone repeatedly make the same or similar errors.
    And that goes to show you have zero experience on crisis management.
    This will happen only if this repeats (THIS YEAR) again and again.
    And this is the first time we had this kind of screw up so no, this is not the way to do this.

It feels its the old Ferrari team again, starts off great but then starts to do mistakes, stops wining races and then looses the season.

This means that there no mechanism in place to prevent the same mistake happening again
    Wrong.
    You can fix things without sacking people. There is what is called "lessons learned" in project management.

You check what happens , good and bad. Keep the good things, learn from the bad things and make procedures in order to make sure that bad things don't repeat.
    Sacking occurs when errors keep happening.

Again, we're talking bout repetition in the SAME period.

Mick's crashes have made HAAS go over the budget cap.
    Says who? AMUS?
    Do they have people in their books?

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Says who? AMUS?
    Do they have people in their books?
    Gunther Steiner. There are articles, not just from AMuS, and YouTube videos regarding Micks crashes for 2022 and how those crashes are at issue with the budget cap.

New engine for Max Verstappen and Sergio Pérez in Baku. Same spec, their first change of the season.

Pérez already switched the turbo and MGU-H earlier. Verstappen still nothing, except replacement exhaust at the end of April.

AMuS

Alpine runs a big upgrade in AzerbaijanGP with new wings, different sidepods and new beam wing.

Bild - Not vaccinated - Rosberg is no longer allowed in the paddock of Formula 1.

RacingNews365

Binotto plays down Ferrari title ambitions: That is not our aim

https://racingnews365.com/binotto-pl...is-not-our-aim

RacingNews365

Binotto plays down Ferrari title ambitions: That is not our aim

https://racingnews365.com/binotto-pl...is-not-our-aim
    Then why we have given away 2years of development? Either he is try to ease of title pressure or something is wrong. Let’s see.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Then why we have given away 2years of development? Either he is try to ease of title pressure or something is wrong. Let’s see.
    Lack of confidence??? He's lost that winning attitude???? What the heck is he here for????

Not a good attitude with just 7 races in......and he's the TP!!!! I wonder what the sponsors will say to this.

Tech Upgrades Baku

Mercedes: Front Wing Flaps, Mirrors, Rear Wing Flap
    Red Bull: Front Brake Cooling, Floor Stay, Floor Edge
    Ferrari: Rear Wing, Mirrors
    McLaren: Rear Wing, Bodywork (Cooling), Front Wing Flaps
    Alpine: Sidepod Inlets, Rear Wing Flap, Beam Wing, Front Wing Flap
    Alpha Tauri: Front Wing Flaps, Beam Wing
    Aston Martin: ---
    Williams: ---
    Alfa Romeo: Front Wing Flaps, Rear Wing
    Haas: ---

Lack of confidence??? He's lost that winning attitude???? What the heck is he here for????

Not a good attitude with just 7 races in......and he's the TP!!!! I wonder what the sponsors will say to this.
    Yup my point is the same …. If we are not fighting for titles, then why are we in the sport?
    I don’t see ruthlessness/aggressiveness in MB compared to Toto or CH.
    wait & see approach doesn’t work every time.

He only mentioned at some point RB will stop developing their car. How can you count on your rivals development path? You should be doing your job. There is one driver giving his best & keeping the car on pole position, you give him more performance from the car that’s what you should focus on.

Now he comes up, there is budget constraint we need raise it a little bit. I’m confused with his statements.

I’m just doing wait & watch how the season progresses. For me Ferrari is in the sport fighting for title. not just to display themselves they are in the sport.

Charles Leclerc on Ferrari pace this weekend:

“We will lack a bit of straight-line speed in Baku compared to Red Bull so we have to see where we go with the setup.”

“We have a more competitive car than last year and I hope to keep first place if we take pole on Saturday!"

Charles Leclerc on Monaco GP

“We have analysed a lot. And we found the reasons why we made these mistakes. We got the answers we were looking for.”

“I am confident that we will not make these mistakes again. If we do everything perfectly, we should look good here in Baku."

RB with no bouncing on straights

We are bouncing a lot on that straight

"We have no porpoising" and "We solved our porpoising problem" who here kept saying that to me when I said we are still bouncing? Look at that, LOOK AT THAT! We didn't solve porposing at all and are losing more than half a second on the straight to Red Bull. This could get painful and I am actually worried that one of our guys could lose it in the final corner, as we are bouncing through all the way through it.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees