Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: F1 2022 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    I think they just took the simplest approach to their car.

Mercedes: “We don't have time to test new ideas. Let’s just focus on low drag streamlining because that’s a concept that 100% works. Make the car look like a fish, and work out the bugs as we go along.”

Streamline works of course, but it’s far from guaranteeing fast lap times. They just went with a simple approach and trying to make the best of it.
    Very surprising to hear that from such a strong team. We know that they have had less time in wind tunnel than others, but this cannot explain this focus. Sounds unreal to me

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    giving Leclerc a fast car
    Is here somoene who knows the context of this statement?
    Last edited by Gilles; 13th March 2022 at 21:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Is here somoene who know the context of this statement?
    Not sure, i read it here lol
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Not sure, i read it here lol
    Thanks. I read it somewhere, i think it was reported that Binotto was saying that to some media but i wonder if it wasn't a kind of "off" talk

Binotto has not been one to mince words over the last 3 years. He's stated, quite factually, when his team was not going to be competitive. With that in mind, I'm baffled by, what appears to be, his contradictory statements. I cannot reconcile his comments about being an outsider with his comments about giving Leclerc a fast car. Unless he's referring to giving him a faster car later in the season.

So in my head, Binotto is signalling, at the very least, that the Ferrari wont be on the front row for the first few races, but is expecting to be competing for the top spot at some point later in the season.
    Actually he said that we will be competitive and we will be in the fight, but he (correctly) what's to decline the title of favorites . The way " read" it is that they are not 100% that we will have the fastest car right now but he believes that we will do very well in the first races because we are more read then the others with better reliability and a more all around car.And then (I hope) we will find more speed with the updates.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Thanks. I read it somewhere, i think it was reported that Binotto was saying that to some media but i wonder if it wasn't a kind of "off" talk
    Yes he was talking to an Italian media (Corriere??) And he said : Well you kept saying to me "Give Lec a winning car , well let's see now what he will do "
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Yes he was talking to an Italian media (Corriere??) And he said : Well you kept saying to me "Give Lec a winning car , well let's see now what he will do "
    Thanks you mate. Strangely i found it nowhere, maybe he was joking a bit.

with the budget cap in place, there is no way Red Bull and Merc can continue this rate of development though, right?

Thanks you mate. Strangely i found it nowhere, maybe he was joking a bit.
    I found the tweet
    Mattia Binotto to Carlo Vanzini (Sky Italia):

"You always tell me 'just give Charles a car' - well, now let's see what he will do."

������
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Pierre Gasly : This year going to be duel between Verstappen Vs. Ferrari

Imo This suggest also RB thinking same way as him. (gasly must ve some little inside info)

And of course Gasly implying that Perez is not as good as Verstappen , Leclerc and Sainz. ( Like come on guys gimme another chance )

Quote Originally Posted by JacKy View Post
    And of course Gasly implying that Perez is not as good as Verstappen , Leclerc and Sainz. ( Like come on guys gimme another chance )
    To be honest, I believe that as well, atleast when compared to Charles & Max

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    To be honest, I believe that as well, atleast when compared to Charles & Max
    Yeah i aggre with that too.

David Sanchez (Ferrari): "We will bring a new fund that will allow us to take full advantage of the F1-75"

The pre-season tests will not be useful to elaborate a real scale of values ​​at the entrance to the first seasonal GP as each team has carried out different programs and this week of data analysis will be very important to extract further performance. However, they certainly provided a lot of food for thought given the various concepts that were proposed by the teams. Those who feared a Formula 1 with double cars have been denied for the moment, waiting for a normal convergence of ideas and solutions that will take place over the months. Ferrari certainly amazed everyone with a project that Mattia Binotto immediately defined as "courageous",with an approach to work more open to extreme and innovative solutions, defined as “open minded” , without the fear of daring.

A definition - that of open minded - which is also taken up by David Sanchez, Head of Vehicle Concept. Interviewed by the F1TV Formula 1 TV , the Ferrari engineer replied about the sidepods project that had been analyzed by some enthusiasts through CFD analyzes ( to find out more ) which showed how the concept chosen for the F1-75 with large but hollow bellies produced slightly more downforce than a basic conformation , with significantly less drag and therefore better efficiency.

“I don't think it was exactly accurate, but I was impressed by the details these guys managed to get” - he says with a relaxed smile - “If I look at the type of bellies that are on the grid, I see a lot of variety. That is one of the few areas where enough freedom has been left in the forms and volumes of the new regulations. On our side we did a lot of exploration with a very open minded approach because it was too easy to fall into the trap of thinking that anything we have learned in the last 10 years with the concept of ' size zero bodywork'should also be used on these machines. We tried to keep an open approach, explore various solutions, see what we liked and what we didn't and in the end we chose this ".
    A hint with these words may have been made to what Mercedes has decided to do with the W13 which, as opposed to Ferrari, features very tapered bellies in a version renamed 'no sidepods'. A configuration also tested in Maranello in the preliminary stages of the 674 project, but later discarded in favor of the one that was then brought to the track in the F1-75. New cars, new aerodynamics, new concepts.
    The 2022 regulations are revolutionary and have updated aerodynamics, the concepts related to it, and developed with the previous generation of machines. Having passed to the ground effect, not a real passage, however, has also entailed several side effects, with the background having taken on even greater importance and it, together with other factors introduced in the 2022 cars, have also placed the accent on the driveability theme. “The game changer of these machines is the ground effect . In the past we were used to an aerodynamics dominated by having to control the turbulence of the front and rear wheels. With these new bottoms an extra dimension has been added to aerodynamics. All concepts are trying to extract performance from these new funds, while maintaining the knowledge we have acquired in the past. I think we have been developing the machines for some time and we can say that the fund itself is dominant in what we are doing ”.
    This radical change in aerodynamics, however, also had other consequences that David Sanchez and his team - but not only - had to face in the study and development phases of the 2022 cars.
    “Aerodynamically these cars have to run low and stiff and this has consequences on other aspects (mechanical and structural). The concept relies heavily on extracting the potential of the new fund and making sure the downforce is “good” and above all usable. Plus we have new tires, simplified suspension and heavier machines. All of this could have an impact on driveability, if you are not aware of these aspects. Together with the aerodynamics , we therefore pushed to ensure that this generation of car can be driven at least as much as the previous one “.
    The porpoising? A “rookie” mistake that Ferrari is solving
    Finally, having mastered the dialogues and analyzes of these tests , the theme of porpoising also had its space in this interview. According to Sam Collins, an analyst at F1TV, the phenomenon of aerodynamic hopping was a big problem for Ferrari in the first tests in Barcelona , ​​making it one of the cars that was initially most affected by this problem (especially on filming day), but which he was then able to react to correct it, albeit not definitively.
    “Porpoising in Barcelona took everyone a little by surprise. It didn't take long to figure out what were causing this problem. When we look back in a few months, we consider it a rookie mistake, from an inexperienced team (from that point of view) . Now looking at it it is easy to say that we could have thought about it before ”.
    In both Spain and Bahrain, Ferrari has worked with the introduction of funds of different specifications to mitigate this phenomenon. David Sanchez explained what the work has been done to make the car more stable and thus allow the mechanics to work better, revealing how the solution found is not definitive:
    “ The cuts in the bottom serve to stop the rocking and allow us to run the car in the optimal window so that we can work on the car with the set up, make the drivers feel more comfortable. We lost a bit of performance in this way , but in the medium term the goal is to design a new fund that can solve all these problems and allow the car to express itself at its peak without problems of this kind ”.
    Of the top teams, Ferrari and Red Bull are the teams that have managed to best manage the phenomenon of aerodynamic rebound, albeit having to concede something in terms of performance. On the other hand, Mercedes is the one that is suffering the most. The W13 showed a rather short deck in tests which did not allow it to perform like the two rival cars .
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

The "mirror war" will be fought tomorrow

Tomorrow in the meeting of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) the technical disputes that emerged during the F1 tests will be discussed: the main topic will be the legality of the mirror supports of the Mercedes W13-mini, given that Binotto wants a regulatory clarification, believing that the solutions of the silver arrow have an aerodynamic function.

The "mirror war" has already been called. Tomorrow at the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meeting the topic will be on the agenda: the Mercedes W13-mini showed up on the track last Thursday in Bahrain with a very narrow belly and an airfoil that contained the upper anti-intrusion cone . Above this unprecedented structure the rear-view mirror with its questionable supports found a place that ignited the discussion in the paddock.

Christian Horner, Red Bull team principal, had defined them "against the spirit of the regulation" as soon as he saw the imaginative realization of Brackley's aerodynamics, only to later deny the confidences made to Michael Schmidt, authoritative journalist of Auto Motor und Sport, in a climbing on… mirrors worthy of a professional actor.

Mattia Binotto, on the other hand, did not hide: the Ferrari driver has taken on the responsibility of making it clear that the mirrors of the W13 perform an aerodynamic function that is prohibited by article 3.2.2 of the F1 technical regulations.

Some teams, therefore, would have submitted to the FIA ​​some requests for clarification that will be discussed in the Technical Advisory Committee tomorrow. The intention is to try to settle the dubious issues before the start of the season, to avoid that a world full of contents can be immediately conditioned by ferocious controversies.

The intention would be to resolve the cases before the start of the Bahrain GP weekend to ensure that the pending issues do not end up in the hands of the college of stewards.

It must be said that Mercedes had made the CAD data of the W13-mini available to the FIA ​​and the fact that the evolution of the silver arrow has not received any dispute from the federal commissioners, highlights how Brackley's car for Nikolas Tombazis respect the technical regulation 2022.

"We always evaluate the rules also according to the following years and we evaluate if things are clear and if the new rules can sometimes contain things that may not have been written as we had foreseen them - said Tombazis -. I think that overall the level of discrepancy is quite low, although there are some small areas that we have discussed with the teams. I believe we will have another TAC meeting on Tuesday to settle these issues. "

https://it-motorsport-com.translate....n&_x_tr_pto=sc
    It's not how start but how you finish.

So glad we are challenging Mercedes solution!

hello ive read someware that ferrari is showing up this race weekend with a new fund.what is that on a f1 car thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djmorin27 View Post
    hello ive read someware that ferrari is showing up this race weekend with a new fund.what is that on a f1 car thanks
    Saw that. I believe the OP meant to say a "new floor" but don't quote me on it. I believe it was a typo on the OP's part.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    So glad we are challenging Mercedes solution!
    Nothing will come of it. It will be the same as DAS, Mercedes will get to run the mirrors this year, gain an advantage from them. Then they will be banned next year so that no one else can do it. Typical FIA behaviour…

While it is unlikely that TAC will push for the Mercedes mirror design to be outlawed, what could happen is that the rules are reworded for 2023 to ensure that designs do not become even more extreme

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...r-war/8982143/
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Nothing will come of it. It will be the same as DAS, Mercedes will get to run the mirrors this year, gain an advantage from them. Then they will be banned next year so that no one else can do it. Typical FIA behaviour…

While it is unlikely that TAC will push for the Mercedes mirror design to be outlawed, what could happen is that the rules are reworded for 2023 to ensure that designs do not become even more extreme

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...r-war/8982143/
    Well that means everyone can do it as well right? Let's push the mirrors to the extreme then, show Merc how it's done.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Saw that. I believe the OP meant to say a "new floor" but don't quote me on it. I believe it was a typo on the OP's part.
    I think that is an italian article that has been translated. In italian the word for the floor of an F1 car is FONDO, however the same word is also used for a FUND, as in "investment fund". So this is simply a case of a bad translation, so whenever you see the word FUND simply replace it with FLOOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Well that means everyone can do it as well right? Let's push the mirrors to the extreme then, show Merc how it's done.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by scudieros View Post
    I think that is an italian article that has been translated. In italian the word for the floor of an F1 car is FONDO, however the same word is also used for a FUND, as in "investment fund". So this is simply a case of a bad translation, so whenever you see the word FUND simply replace it with FLOOR.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scudieros View Post
    Yessir.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

@PURE PASSION

Thank you for that post. A good read.

https://racingnews365.com/palmer-its...-the-back-foot

Jolyon Palmer reckons that Mercedes are set for a tricky start to the 2022 Formula 1 campaign, after enduring a "tough" pre-season test in Bahrain.

Mercedes ended the Bahrain test a second off the pace set by Red Bull's Max Verstappen on the Soft C5 tyres, as both Lewis Hamilton and George Russell struggled with excessive porpoising and understeer during all three days.

"Between Mercedes, Red Bull, and Ferrari, it's Mercedes that are on the back foot at this stage," Palmer said in a testing analysis video published by the official Formula 1 YouTube account.

"They came out with a really innovative design, the 'zeropods', basically no sidepods on the car, which caught everyone's attention on day one.

"But they're struggling a little bit more to get the car into a proper working window. The car is porpoising a huge amount. George Russell was in it as testing finished and probably is struggling with a headache he was bouncing so much.

"That's a real problem for the Mercedes team to balance putting the downforce on the car and not putting it into the ground as they're going down the straights."

Palmer confident Mercedes can recover strongly
    But Palmer said he's confident that the team can bounce back quickly from their issues.

"I think Mercedes, [as] last year's Constructors Champions, they've won eight years in a row, they can win it again," he said.

"But they've probably been the team of the top three that have had the toughest test.

"I don't doubt they will bounce back, they always seem to. I'm sure they're probably sandbagging a little bit as well, but I think they may be a bit upstaged so far, by Ferrari and by Red Bull."

VIEWED BY OTHERS:
    Hamilton W13 Bahrain
    LEWIS HAMILTON
    Busy week ahead for Hamilton and Mercedes with 'a lot of work to do'
    Mattia Binotto
    FERRARI
    Binotto disagrees with Hamilton: Mercedes will fight at the front
    Verstappen Bahrain
    ANALYSIS
    BAHRAIN PRE-SEASON TEST 2022
    Five things we learned from the Bahrain test
    Palmer earmarks Ferrari for 2022 successes
    Palmer went on to say that he believes Ferrari could prove to be one of the most successful packages of the 2022 season, following their positive tests in Barcelona and Bahrain.

"Ferrari – what a test they've had. Absolutely brilliant, reliably ran, looks quick, everyone's smiling. They're ticking all the boxes," he commented.

"For a team that has been in the midfield, or even below the midfield, for the last couple of years, they are back towards the front, no doubt about it.

"Can they win races? I think they can. Can they win the championship? That's going to be a tough ask. I think they're right there.

"They've got two good drivers that will push each other and they're really harmonious as well. So I think if you're a Ferrari fan, there's cause for some cautious, or even more than cautious optimism for this year!"

Red bull have been declared favourites for this year's championship, it will be great when ferrari steals there thunder we as fans live with hope.

Brundle predicting close fight between Rad Bull & Ferrari, while he has put RB ahead for the moment

I'm waiting to see if Russell can do what Charles did to Seb.

I found an old article relating to Ferrari's mirrors being deemed illegal because of winglets... https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ho...20415/5320415/

hopefully fia will maintain impartiality with merc's ones.... but, I am not holding my breath.