Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: F1 2022 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by elnano14 View Post
    Lol just one glory run on C5 by Redbull and some "FERRARI" fans here are already losing their mind and hope. Do all of you really believe the RBR is actually 0.4s faster and 10-15 kph quicker than our car in SECTOR 1 ALONE ???
    Redull was faster than us almost every single year the last decade. It was superior in aero every year (except 2015 and 2017)and last two years they were in front of us even in engine power... So this is a fact... Its not something unusual Redbull being in front.

Quote Originally Posted by faloupas View Post
    Redull was faster than us almost every single year the last decade. It was superior in aero every year (except 2015 and 2017)and last two years they were in front of us even in engine power... So this is a fact... Its not something unusual Redbull being in front.
    They were faster than us in 2020 and 2021 because of our engine is handicapped. Since the hybrid era, 2014 RBR > FER, 2015 FER > RBR, 2016 RBR >= FER, 2017 FER > RBR, 2018 FER > RBR, 2019 FER >= RBR (the RBR only became fast at the late of the season), 2020+2021 RBR > FER with a f***ed engine . So I don't know what you're saying about "Redull was faster than us almost every single year"...

What about 09, 2010,11,12,13..... It's all pinky in your head

Can either Ferrari or Redbull lodge a complaint to the FIA regarding the W13's mirrors attached to a wing as an aero device going into the Bahrain GP weekend!!!
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    What about 09, 2010,11,12,13..... It's all pinky in your head
    They are from V8 - a whole different era, I don't know what's the point of this comparison . Heck 09 is not even from the last decade...

Quote Originally Posted by elnano14 View Post
    They are from V8 - a whole different era, I don't know what's the point of this comparison . Heck 09 is not even from the last decade...
    Yeah but you can see the pattern of RB being in front of us even when our V8 was probably the best in class

I think the performance order may change as the season progress.
    I doubt that 6 days of limited winter testing is sufficient for the teams to fully optimize the car setup for such a major design change. And with in season development, this season could be about who develop and optimize their car the fastest.

Come on, let’s still fight ourself a little :
    According to Auto Motor und Sport, a Mercedes insider claimed that “Red Bull and us are in the same boat, we are not in our normal form. If there was a race on Sunday, Ferrari would win by a clear margin. And the alarming thing is that the other teams are right behind us.”
    https://scuderiafans.com/mattia-bino...022-f1-season/

Mick Schumacher 1:33.151 witch C3 , very good lap.

Oh boy no one see this coming

Mazepin will kick himself

“Happy faces at Ferrari? We are aware of the value of our opponents. They’re strong and they’re proving it today. They say we are the favourites but we’re not. Last year’s champions are Red Bull and today they brought developments and show that they are strong. The competition will be strong. There are smiles from us, even from our drivers but for a car that can be taken to the limit. It’s a good base. We arrived prepared and collected a lot of data. We did a lot of laps and gathering information was our objective. What grade would I give us? 8 for the preparation.” – the Ferrari boss said.
    “We are more ready to fight than last year. We always said that 2022 was an opportunity. Today we are at the top, but then we have to explain and tell the story of this day, with the tyres and the performance of others. But we are not far off. We will need three – four races to understand the potential of everyone and next weekend’s results will not be definitive. It’s difficult to judge at the moment, but I can say that there will be three teams close together. And they are the favourites, we’re the outsiders. Don’t read too much into these lap times. Everyone is trying to hide their true potential. Our feeling is that everything will be very close. The road will be long and not only the starting point but the whole development will count. But the premise of a spectacular race is there!” – Scuderia Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto concluded on the final day of pre-season testing in Bahrain.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Can either Ferrari or Redbull lodge a complaint to the FIA regarding the W13's mirrors attached to a wing as an aero device going into the Bahrain GP weekend!!!
    I don't think so. Kylesengineers did an analysis of the W13's sidepods and he believes Mercedes have a clever interpretation of the rules which make it all legal.

When George Russell ran his 1:32.888 he was setting the fastest mini sectors out of all the corners, the acceleration phase onto the straights. Then he must have shut the batteries off shortly after because the Mercedes was several kph slower by the end of the straight than the likes of Ferrari or Red Bull, sometimes 5 or 6 kph slower. So either the Mercedes is unbelievably draggy, or they are heavily sandbagging. I saw a telemetry overlay between Ferrari and Mercedes, and the Merc was massively slower on the straights, all the way from the point of accel to the Vmax. This is not drag, that's power modes. I think Mercedes has loads of power left.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I don't think so. Kylesengineers did an analysis of the W13's sidepods and he believes Mercedes have a clever interpretation of the rules which make it all legal.
    That's his belief.....he's not 100% certain.

From what I've learned in the past, any mirror attached to a wing and uses it as an aero device is against the rules. Ferrari tried it on the F60 and also on the halo not too long ago....all were banned. That's my interpretation of the rules. I'm not directing this towards you SS454.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Come on, let’s still fight ourself a little :
    According to Auto Motor und Sport, a Mercedes insider claimed that “Red Bull and us are in the same boat, we are not in our normal form. If there was a race on Sunday, Ferrari would win by a clear margin. And the alarming thing is that the other teams are right behind us.”
    https://scuderiafans.com/mattia-bino...022-f1-season/
    Are you tired of fighting or you don’t like my jokes?

From what I've learned in the past, any mirror attached to a wing and uses it as an aero device is against the rules. Ferrari tried it on the F60 and also on the halo not too long ago....all were banned. That's my interpretation of the rules. I'm not directing this towards you SS454.
    I agree with both of you :
    Sidepods would be legal, mirrors a lot less

When George Russell ran his 1:32.888 he was setting the fastest mini sectors out of all the corners, the acceleration phase onto the straights. Then he must have shut the batteries off shortly after because the Mercedes was several kph slower by the end of the straight than the likes of Ferrari or Red Bull, sometimes 5 or 6 kph slower. So either the Mercedes is unbelievably draggy, or they are heavily sandbagging. I saw a telemetry overlay between Ferrari and Mercedes, and the Merc was massively slower on the straights, all the way from the point of accel to the Vmax. This is not drag, that's power modes. I think Mercedes has loads of power left.
    I looked into mercs onboards to understand.

Imo they were using speed limitor. Max speed was either 280 or 290 time to time ( even with drs )

Of course they have more than this. But they are not going to strong as they were in the past 8 years.

Shame that some of us are too ready to criticise the team even as the testing performance has been pretty positive for the Scuderia. Let's see what happens next weekend before we write off another year and be thankful that we appear to be back in the game! Seeing Max on top at the end of testing was frustrating but hardly a surprise, was Charles trying to have another go before the red flag was shown, I wonder? Good job from the team so far.

I think Mercedes and Rb could be a bit faster than us, our card is maybe on drivebality, at least for this first race
    Complete answer on sunday, not saturday

His belief is pretty credible since he was an aerodynamisist at Mercedes F1 and he went through the rule book and gave explanation. But you are correct, not 100% positive. I do recall the rule not allowing the mirrors to be used as aero devices, which they pretty much all are now anyways. We'll see if any protests get lodged, but I suspect it will be deemed legal. Worst case for Mercedes is they have to make some minor changes which likely don't make a big impact on the car anyways.

I think Mercedes and Rb could be a bit faster than us, our card is maybe on drivebality, at least for this first race
    Complete answer on sunday, not saturday
    Absolutely. Even if Mercedes is faster over 1 lap, it doesn't mean the car will be good over an entire grand prix.

So Mick has gone 2nd fastest. He has the fastest sector 2 time, 0.5 seconds faster than his 2021 qualifying time in that aforementioned sector.

I do recall the rule not allowing the mirrors to be used as aero devices, which they pretty much all are now anyways. We'll see if any protests get lodged, but I suspect it will be deemed legal. Worst case for Mercedes is they have to make some minor changes which likely don't make a big impact on the car anyways.
    I have yet to see any other car with their mirrors attached to a winglet for 2022 other than Mercedes....and the W13 winglet is huge (with mirror attached).

Absolutely. Even if Mercedes is faster over 1 lap, it doesn't mean the car will be good over an entire grand prix.
    Porpoising, understeer, cooling, brakes
    Last edited by Gilles; 12th March 2022 at 17:44.

Well there is also this point of view. (Not that i believe it, just saying that it could be a scenario, like many other even worsen for us)
    According to some opponents, Red Bull used the power unit in a mode very close to the qualifying one, taking on a slightly higher amount of fuel than is used in the fast lap.
    Even Leclerc in his fastest lap simulation did not take to the track with the qualifying 'power unit-petrol load configuration' combination, uncovering only part of the cards
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Porpoising, understeer
    No kidding on the porpoising with the W13....actually several teams were still experiencing this effect. I have'nt seen Mercedes this combobulated....ever. Yeah they had tire issues (degradation) within the first 2 races but they fixed that issue (before 2022).

Mercedes needs a new floor come the BahrainGP.

I have yet to see any other car with their mirrors attached to a winglet for 2022 other than Mercedes....and the W13 winglet is huge (with mirror attached).
    Now days all teams have a aero shaped mirror with a hollow shape. Aero device, who knows.

As for how the mirror is attached, I guess the rules state that there needs to be a cross bar that attaches the mirror to the chassis. Apparently Mercedes has this but it's built into the bodywork that surrounds the upper crash bar. This crash bar has to be there, and it has to be covered in body work. Mercedes has done this according to the rules. By interpretation, Mercedes has body work over the crash bar, which the mirrors are attached to. They are allowed to have rear stabilizers so to speak to keep the mirror from shaking or falling off. Rules do not state how many are allowed.

As of right now, I can only tip my cap at the innovated design Mercedes came up with. I just hope it's a turd.

No kidding on the porpoising with the W13....actually several teams were still experiencing this effect. I have'nt seen Mercedes this combobulated....ever. Yeah they had tire issues (degradation) within the first 2 races but they fixed that issue (before 2022).

Mercedes needs a new floor come the BahrainGP.
    Sorry, i can't be sure to well understand your answer, and then your opinion about Mercedes porpoising
    On my side i think they maybe still have porpoising, a least it's what i read in their forums
    If you mean that they should be able to solve it as they are quick to react, i agree with you. But i hope they wont for this race
    Last edited by Gilles; 12th March 2022 at 18:43.

Lots of people (even ones that should know better) are saying it's Red Bull - Ferrari - Merc.
    Seriously? after all these years and people still fall for the Merc lies. You can guarantee once we hit Q3 the sandbags will come off and all of a sudden it'll be faster.

I'm amazed people still believe the lies and Lewis today saying they won't be fighting for wins, utter nonsense. They should really stop all this BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    Lots of people (even ones that should know better) are saying it's Red Bull - Ferrari - Merc.
    Seriously? after all these years and people still fall for the Merc lies. You can guarantee once we hit Q3 the sandbags will come off and all of a sudden it'll be faster.

I'm amazed people still believe the lies and Lewis today saying they won't be fighting for wins, utter nonsense. They should really stop all this BS.
    Can’t stand the guy, but I can’t recall Lewis not being up and up during the preseason. Maybe he has slightly downplayed his chances (modesty?-highly doubt it), but not to this extent. We’ll see.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Mattia Binotto to Carlo Vanzini (Sky Italia):

"You always tell me 'just give Charles a car' - well, now let's see what he will do."