Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: F1 2022 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Haas is allowed extra one hour of testing today and Magnussen has just gone fastest. 1:33.207, fastest in the sector 1 with a 29.578, PB in the sector 2 with a 40.303 and fastest in the sector 3 with a 23.326.

Again highlighting why the times are meaningless in testing.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Haas is allowed extra one hour of testing today and Magnussen has just gone fastest. 1:33.207, fastest in the sector 1 with a 29.578, PB in the sector 2 with a 40.303 and fastest in the sector 3 with a 23.326.

Again highlighting why the times are meaningless in testing.
    Maybe Haas have just built a rocketship? :D

Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    Maybe Haas have just built a rocketship? :D
    Maybe the SF donk is a rocket engine

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    That is how I understud it
    hats off to Carlos for calling these jokers out for what they are

I think the 2022 cars are several seconds slower than the 2021 cars. With the increase to near 800 kg and the reduced mechanical grip of the tires, that's probably worth 2 seconds a lap alone. The race pace being around 1:40 is slow, and if the cars are fueled up heavy, the qual pace is typically upwards of 7-8 seconds faster.

Another promising day but tyre wear looks like it may be an issue for us, the drop-off in the lap times is pretty sharp for both Charles and Carlos. Any comparisons with other teams been drawn?

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Hats off to Mercedes.
    They have succeeded to twist our mindsets into believing they 're unable to flop.
    This is what I say.
    I don't believe in their concept. I

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Carlos' comments are interesting however. He says Ferrari sees what they are doing on the GPS and he prefaced that by saying they show up every year, make comments that others are in front and then proceed to destroy the field. Is he implying that Ferrari can already see that the Mercedes is faster?
    He implies that they are faster than they show.
    How faster, is a different question.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Another promising day but tyre wear looks like it may be an issue for us, the drop-off in the lap times is pretty sharp for both Charles and Carlos. Any comparisons with other teams been drawn?
    Many had that drop. If someone was consistent has was also slow. So no real comparisons and conclusions
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

The F1-75 lives up to the Ferrari's expectations, there Is a lot of positivity between the engineers.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Pirelli tyre has fast drop of rates looks like pipeline have gone back to the days of fast tyre degradation. All teams suffered drop off,tyre management will be crucial to winning races.I think this has been done by pirelli to keep the race interesting with the unexpected occurring during the race with tyres and wear.Another solid test for ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Pirelli tyre has fast drop of rates looks like pipeline have gone back to the days of fast tyre degradation. All teams suffered drop off,tyre management will be crucial to winning races.I think this has been done by pirelli to keep the race interesting with the unexpected occurring during the race with tyres and wear.Another solid test for ferrari.
    Tyre management is only boring!
    What about driver's talent?
    If races will again be about tyres management, i will go fishing !
    Thinking that again last year, no one took the start with a full tank to not immediatly destroy the tyres, then to find themselves managing the fuel in addition to the tyres...
    Pirelli is definitively bad, just able to offer illegal tests to Mercedes or change their construction during the season when this same team fails to make them work. This new year was claimed as different on this side, if it does not change, it's a shame!
    Last edited by Gilles; 11th March 2022 at 21:19.

I remember a press conference where Alonso said he wanted cars that were light weight and you could push every lap on a set of tires. All the drivers agreed with him. The FIA has given us the opposite.

Seriously, what is the goal of this stupid game?

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I remember a press conference where Alonso said he wanted cars that were light weight and you could push every lap on a set of tires. All the drivers agreed with him. The FIA has given us the opposite.
    I'm sure drivers would want that, sounds pretty easy being able to push every lap with zero consequence. I'd rather see a formula where it's incredibly difficult to master a car to extract the full performance.

Look at Vettel with red bull, he could set a fastest lap on the last lap. Hamilton could do the same with part of a front wing end plate missing, that's the car doing all the work, I want to see the drivers being held more accountable. They've had it easy for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    I'm sure drivers would want that, sounds pretty easy being able to push every lap with zero consequence. I'd rather see a formula where it's incredibly difficult to master a car to extract the full performance.

Look at Vettel with red bull, he could set a fastest lap on the last lap. Hamilton could do the same with part of a front wing end plate missing, that's the car doing all the work, I want to see the drivers being held more accountable. They've had it easy for too long.
    I think it's much more difficult to know the car is at or near the limit each and every lap. Chances for mistakes are much higher than deliberately driving 2 seconds off the pace. It sucks when the leader goes into cruise mode to save fuel and tires, and the 2nd place guy can't even try to overtake because it will damage his own tires.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Hats off to Mercedes.
    They have succeeded to twist our mindsets into believing they 're unable to flop.
    Merc’s dominance (through secret engine development then lobbying FIA, secret tire testing with Pirelli, etc) has definitely afftected some minds. I agree with you 2022 has significant new changes, plus the new Ben Sulayem’s era, and I hope we can again go back to the top

It sucks when the leader goes into cruise mode to save fuel and tires, and the 2nd place guy can't even try to overtake because it will damage his own tires.
    yes........AND

What sucks is:

1. The weight of the cars. Cars are 100kg heavier.
    2. Component allocation allotment for the season i.e. 3 ICE units per season
    3. The length of the cars. They're about the size of an RV.
    4. The width of the cars.
    5. RPM's are aound 11.5k to 12k due to component allocation allotment---> raise it to 18k and increase the component allocation allotment per season.
    6. Yeah, get rid of the MGU-H....2026 can't come soon enough. More engine suppliers enter F1 like Porsche/Audi.
    7. I dislike this "green" era of F1.

With regards to rules, I have an issue when they penalize the driver for a TC (turbo charger) change or ICE unit change or ERS (energy recovery system) change due to reliability. Why not penalize the constructor (WCC points)??? It's not the dirvers fault that those components fail reliability!!!
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Will we see some quali Sim today

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    Will we see some quali Sim today
    maybe....but late in the evening.

RedBull comes out late on Day 3. It has new sidepods.

Not winning the 2021 WDC is for sure a flop for Merc regardless of who caused it. Fans by the millions will be at the 2022 races hoping it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    RedBull comes out late on Day 3. It has new sidepods.
    And it's flying. Faster than everyone else on C3 tyres... no, please no.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

RB doesn't just have new sidepods, thir floor is new, connected to the sidepods at the back. They are going totally different direction that anyone else, with almost no visible floor next to rear wheels as they maximize the bodywork there. I wish I was a aerodynamics expert to know what they're doing, but it seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    RB doesn't just have new sidepods, thir floor is new, connected to the sidepods at the back. They are going totally different direction that anyone else, with almost no visible floor next to rear wheels as they maximize the bodywork there. I wish I was a aerodynamics expert to know what they're doing, but it seems to be working.
    I think they are using the vortecies along the edge of the floor to seal off the diffuser inside the rear wheels. Every team tries to seal the floor along the edge, but there is probably some spillage into the diffuser from the rear tires, while Red Bulls solution could mean a better seal and cleaner air through the diffuser.

the oddsmakers say Lewis is the favourite for the title this year, but I think it's Max. I just hope our car is quick enough to fight for something significant, not just podiums

I was watching a live timing on youtube that focuses on Perez, and he is leaving so much on the table on the straights. His first flier 1:34.7 he left off or even hit the brakes before the start finish line. The second lap 1:34.1 he was slower than his first lap down the final 2 straights and final corner, but didn't left off crossing the line. That was on medium tires too. Whatever fuel and engine mode they are running, the car easily has a mid 1:33 in it as is.

I was watching a live timing on youtube that focuses on Perez, and he is leaving so much on the table on the straights. His first flier 1:34.7 he left off or even hit the brakes before the start finish line. The second lap 1:34.1 he was slower than his first lap down the final 2 straights and final corner, but didn't left off crossing the line. That was on medium tires too. Whatever fuel and engine mode they are running, the car easily has a mid 1:33 in it as is.
    On Perez's 3rd run, he was slow all the way down the main straight to start his lap, then was rippin through his lap and then slowed down out of the last corner and still ran a 1:33.1.

No porpoising on the redbull at all

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    No porpoising on the redbull at all
    Absolutely none