Thread: Ferrari F1-75 Discussion Thread

Alonso thinks the F1-75 is the fastest car?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...rrari-fastest/

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Alonso thinks the F1-75 is the fastest car?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...rrari-fastest/

can you post the full article, can not read it

Heavy updates early in the year is a bit like using your battery and tyres up at the start of a lap. More money spent early and more wind tunnel time gone. Ferrari have far more wind tunnel and cfd time than RB and Merc. Strange if Merc and RB spent money and time producing a physical car that won't race. May help at the start but with so many races I like the sound of Ferrari racing with the car they launched, verify data so have solid grounding for future updates and more money and wind tunnel/ CFD time to realise future development ideas.

Could be they also realize they have a lot more potential in the car. If they were heavily sandbagging (sorry.... running programs), and not pushing, maybe they know it is going to be very quick. Guess we find out at the next test when some qualy sims are done or race sims

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Could be they also realize they have a lot more potential in the car. If they were heavily sandbagging (sorry.... running programs), and not pushing, maybe they know it is going to be very quick. Guess we find out at the next test when some qualy sims are done or race sims
    or maybe, it;s like when they were testing the F2004 when they thought it was something wrong with the stop watch cause it was a full second faster then the F2003.....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

At Ferrari - and beyond - they expected the various teams to introduce concepts that were not so different from each other. The F1-75 is particularly deviant in the sidepod area and that is why there is expectation for the test and for the Bahrain Grand Prix , where it will finally be understood if the path taken was the correct one. What transpires from Italy, in any case, is that the area on the sides of the power unit is not the only crucial part in terms of performance research . There are some “hidden” components that have been worked on in a maniacal way and which, apparently, will have a more decisive impact on the car's chronometric performance.
    Ferrari was able to test the new "material" available in the three Spanish days. Interesting findings arrived without the hassle of the stopwatch. On a very varied track in terms of the technical challenges offered, the F1-75 managed well. In the absence of truthful data on competitors' test programs, in Maranello they preferred to analyze what they saw on their car without being carried away by easy enthusiasm.
    Adrian Newey surprises again with the RB18
    On the other hand, however, given our presence directly on the track, we were able to properly pay attention to the characteristics expressed by the Modena car. The F1-75 brought out a well-defined quality. We are talking about cornering, a positive element found in the various types of curves that make up the very technical layout of the Catalan track. Just as, observing the Rossa closely , the braking “depth” emerged in the straight line leading to the Caixa .
    In this area of ​​the track, in fact, Leclerc and Sainz delayed the braking and then managed to easily take the apex of the curve. Situation that was easily repeated at each lap, even during the high fuel simulations despite the deterioration of the tires.
    Keeping in mind the above considerations, the further interesting aspect concerns the use of the engine. “Listening” meticulously to the sound produced by the Italian engine, therefore, it was easy to see how rarely the revolutions of the Italian V6 were pushed. He spent only in certain areas of the track in order not to give real chronometric points of reference to the opponents. Same thing considering the charging mechanism related to the hybrid system, much more efficient than last season's one.
    According to some information collected by FormulaUnoAnalisiTecnica , the particular layout of the cooling system seems to be a strength of the red. As well as the performance of some components related to the engine already tested during the last rounds of the 2021 championship. Another positive result of the three-day Catalan was that attributable to the reliability that the car has shown to possess. A decisive element with a completely new regulatory environment.
    So much so that the drivers were able to accumulate an excellent number of km which served to increase the driving feeling with the 18-inch wheels, another of those unknowns that they feared at the factory. We understand that Sainz and Leclerc 's feeling is that the weaning of the car is going in the right direction. Also on the understanding of the tires that have not suffered or long runs .
    In line with the declarations made during the winter, in Ferrari they avoid proclamations and triumphalisms. He is sure that a certain optimism is leaking from the men in red, but that does not mean that the primary objective is the fight for the title. The intention is to progressively grow and to return to fight steadily for the top. And this F1-75 , therefore, seems to be the right weapon to start this journey ...

From Funo
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phsyklone View Post
    Can you paste the article, we have to join the group to see the information!
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    or maybe, it;s like when they were testing the F2004 when they thought it was something wrong with the stop watch cause it was a full second faster then the F2003.....
    How that would be nice

i don't believe that....prolly just rumors

LINK: https://scuderiafans.com/f1-ferrari-...r-3000-4000km/

Total race distance info: https://motorsporttickets.com/blog/h...a-1-race-have/

In short, we have a reliable PU.

Good articles from two fairly reliable sources:

AMUS: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...se-bestzeiten/

Formu1a.uno: https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-f1-7...aggiornamenti/

Few bits:

* Charles did his best time on day-2 in a 18-lap stint
    * Ferrari already solved the "bouncing on the straight" problem with the floor they tried on day-3. A "definitive" version will be debuted at the official Bahrain pre-season test.
    * Reliability is good.
    * The car is behaving well.
    * It's better to understand and optimize the current package, rather than bolting new parts. Mercedes did the same last year. But that doesn't mean there will be no new parts at the Bahrain test, because there will be.
    * First major upgrade is planned between the Aus GP and Imola.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Good articles from two fairly reliable ...

i wasted time in posting the same things instead of reading your post
    Last edited by Gilles; 5th March 2022 at 07:00.

From AMuS
    Ferrari can set up their car softer and thus gain time in the slow corners.
    Ferrari is the star of the slow corners
    It's no surprise that Ferrari also comes out on top when you break down the Barcelona circuit into its component parts. The F1-75 doesn't seem to show any weaknesses. In terms of top speed, he is in the middle of the field, in the top 4 in the first and second sectors and in 2nd place in the slowest part of the track. Since the environment was consistently on softer tyres, Ferrari's sector times are even higher.
    Especially in the final section. Charles Leclerc was twice the star in Sector 3 before Mercedes spoiled the picture with their extra soft C5 tires on day three. The Ferrari can run with more suspension travel than the competition without losing significant downforce in the fast corners. That helps with traction.
    And it gives an idea of ​​the tactics Ferrari is pursuing. You want to excel in the slow corners because you get more lap times there than in the fast ones. That's not so easy with ground effect cars. They actually only work if you drive low and hard.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

British motorsport commentator and columnist Jolyon Palmer, who covers the Formula One World Championship on BBC Radio 5 and the official F1 app, analyzed a the data which was available after the testing session in Barcelona and what happened at Montmelō, starting with the Maranello team:

“The Barcelona tests could not have gone better than this for Ferrari – admitted Jolyon Palmer, as reported by the official website of Formula 1 – “Carlos Sainz did more laps than any other driver, while Charles Leclerc was not too far away. The car seems to have no mechanical problems: its innovative design, with these unusual sidepods seems to be a risk, but positive signs are coming from Maranello and what has been seen in Spain has confirmed this. The two drivers have different styles: Carlos Sainz very clean, while Charles Leclerc decidedly more aggressive, demanding a lot from the rear. The Monegasque has been pushing from the start without the fear of sudden problems with oversteer, something with which Ferrari has suffered in recent years.” – Jolyon Palmer
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

AMUS: Top Speed and Sector Time Analysis

As much as I like to read positive news about Ferrari, I think the above analysis by AMUS is pretty pointless.

These cars were, at the very least, 3 seconds slower than their absolute best lap time. And they were far from their optimal operating window. So analyzing sector times, when the cars were clearly heavy with fuel and not running in maximum power mode, is a futile effort.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    AMUS: Top Speed and Sector Time Analysis

As much as I like to read positive news about Ferrari, I think the above analysis by AMUS is pretty pointless.

These cars were, at the very least, 3 seconds slower than their absolute best lap time. And they were far from their optimal operating window. So analyzing sector times, when the cars were clearly heavy with fuel and not running in maximum power mode, is a futile effort.
    Link is in German with a popup. Can you post the top speeds analysis or snap a screenshot? I agree about lap times meaning nothing. Sector times might have more meaning, but I wouldn't trust that data as fact.

Did you seen this video, saying Ferrari have a split turbo this year? (Split turbo, lowered and moved forward, more compact arrangement of the PU components)
    Seems to be reliable
    In italian
    https://youtu.be/LHQi-Cqn7V8
    Last edited by Gilles; 5th March 2022 at 20:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Did you seen this video, saying Ferrari have a split turbo this year? (Split turbo, lowered and moved forward, more compact arrangement of the PU components)
    Seems to be reliable
    In italian
    Ferrari is the only team and engine manufacturer that has NOT adopted the split-turbo design. Renault just started this year(2022).

I believe the video is misunderstood.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Seems to be reliable
    In italian
    I saw a different video that suggested Ferrari has finally gone with the split turbo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Ferrari is the only team and engine manufacturer that has NOT adopted the split-turbo design. Renault just started this year(2022).

I am very confused.

As far as i know there were 2 project on the table

1-) to develop current engine (2021 engine) and improve on some areas
    2-) Brand New engine with Split turbo.

And i’ve read so many news/articles that we stick with current engine due to reliablety issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JacKy View Post
    I am very confused.

As far as i know there were 2 project on the table

1-) to develop current engine (2021 engine) and improve on some areas
    2-) Brand New engine with Split turbo.

And i’ve read so many news/articles that we stick with current engine due to reliablety issues.
    I 'm pretty sure Binotto said they have opted for the new one

We haven't gone split turbo. We evaluated it but didn't go that direction due to finding considerably gains with the ICE. At least that's what I read.

I do not share your certainty. If i'm far from to be sure that the engine numerical model is accurate, in my memory, none of Ferrari's statements said that, only some "journalists"...
    Ferrari said the new engine would be very different, I think they didn't want to say too much, which is understandable on the engineering side
    Also, if they have finally adopted the Mercedes configuration, it is logical that they do not say it too loudly for a question of image.
    As for aerodynamics, people put too much weight on visible things only
    If they win, many "journalists" will say it's because, after years of making mistakes, they follow Mercedes technology, and people will think the same, even if not totaly right
    Last edited by Gilles; 6th March 2022 at 11:18.

My remember is that if, in a first statement, Binotto said he chose Galtieri's conventional engine project for reliability reasons, later, in 2021, he said the opposite (September?). Zimmermann, on the other hand, worked for AMG in the V8's area and, if he was not directly involved in the V6 turbo project, was certainly familiar with this one.
    Knowing that his project has been cited as innovative in terms of architecture, the gains that allows in packaging and thermal air feeding the split solution, the choice made by Honda and Renault, I would not be surprised if Ferrari choose it too. Maybe in a specific way, like Honda did
    Last edited by Gilles; 6th March 2022 at 11:19.

I do not share your certainty. If i'm far from to be sure that the engine numerical model is accurate, in my memory, none of Ferrari's statements said that, only some "journalists"...
    Ferrari said the new engine would be very different, I think they didn't want to say too much, which is understandable on the engineering side
    Also, if they have finally adopted the Mercedes configuration, it is logical that they do not say it too loudly for a question of image.
    As for aerodynamics, people put too much weight on visible things only
    If they win, many "journalists" will say it's because, after years of making mistakes, they follow Mercedes technology, and people will think the same, even if not totaly right
    I don't share your sentiment.

[Bolded area]

Redbull was'nt winning in this turbo-hybrid era because it was lacking a powerful and reliable PU. RedBull was using Renault's PU. Honda changed their turbo design to a split-turbo(copying Mercedes design) in 2017. When Honda joined RedBull, Mercedes finally had competition in 2021.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

I don't share your sentiment.

[Bolded area]

Redbull was'nt winning in this turbo-hybrid era because it was lacking a powerful and reliable PU. RedBull was using Renault's PU. Honda changed their turbo design to a split-turbo(copying Mercedes design) in 2017. When Honda joined RedBull, Mercedes finally had competition in 2021.
    And how would it not be generally perceived that the split turbo would a key to this success? To be honest, I think that was part of it as well. It is necessary, in addition to split the turbo, to reach the level of what Mercedes has developed during all these years. Honda broke a hundred engines to develop its 2021 PU, which, among other things, may have allowed them to catch up on this technology (with the help of Honda airplanes department).
    As for the opinion of "journalists" (I mean the bad ones), I remember all those people (not the well informed one) who explained to me that Ferrari's return to the top, in 90 or 91, was due to the arrival of Prost , with tv saying the same. Since this time, i use to follow races without the sound
    So, if the Ferrari PU show a huge progress this year (wich is very possible), and if SF show a top pace, why would it be different, knowing it would be directly following the change ?
    Also mate, i know my english is far from perfect, i'm sorry, it might not transcribe well what i'm trying to say
    Last edited by Gilles; 6th March 2022 at 18:18.

I haven't posted here in a while, so welcome back everyone :)

So far so good in this pre-season, but I don't want to get carried away and think we can genuinely fight for the championship. I remember 2019 too well. Nonetheless, at worst it's gonna be a repeat of 2021, not 2020.

I'm italian. The video states:
    -split turbo, also gained -4cm in lenght
    -new floor in Bahrain
    -new front sospension more rigid and higher front-end
    -no other updates. Rbr and Mb will both bring b spec car

Kind regards