Thread: Ferrari F1-75 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Keeping the supercharger independent of the turbo helps to prevent the heat from lowering the air density in the power feeding system, providing a little more power.
    What is expected from the new combustion technology is rather a better combustion allowed by a better propagation of the flame in the combustion chambers, thanks to work on a pre-combustion system which completes or replaces the classic spark ignition. That would be why it's called superfast, because the spread would be faster and more efficient (Binotto says turbulence). I think all manufacturers are playing in this area (Ferrari is working on it since 2015), but maybe Ferrari have found something special, or is ahead on a particular solution

https://www.f1technical.net/news/20316
    I've seen on Mercedes production cars with regards to twin turbo production models is that they have intercoolers betfore the turbo(intake portion) to cool the air coming into the intake plenum and into the engine. Cooler air coming into the air intake does have an increase in power with regards to air density.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 28th March 2022 at 11:55.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

The compression of the air increases its temperature and therefore decreases its density. After the compressor (and not before), the intercooler cools the compressed air to have a higher density and therefore more O2 in the same volume (the combustion chambers), for more power (higher F in the formula F=P×S). The increase in F can be done by increasing the amount of oxygen in the combustion chambers, thanks to a higher air density or an increase in air pressure (but limited by auto -ignition)
    Last edited by Gilles; 29th March 2022 at 07:21.

The Ferrari F1-75 is the most complete car. To equalize performance, Red Bull must take risks. Less petrol in Bahrain, the unloading set-up in Arabia. Ferrari remains conservative, preferring points to risks

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-f1-7...he-aggressive/

More complete Ferrari F1-75? Red Bull responds with aggressive technical choices

The race in Jeddah gave another intense battle, almost to the thousandth, between Leclerc and Verstappen . The two are the real stars of this start of the 2022 World Cup, with Sainz and Perez in the role of supporting actors. This time the Dutchman prevailed, taking advantage of some small 'key' episodes in his favor , such as the possible 'unsafe release' against Carlos Sainz's F1-75 and above all the useful yellow flag in the final laps for the contact between Albon (in Australia he will serve three positions on the grid) and Stroll. It was a growing race for the Dutch world champion, who went from a painful first stint on medium to a very competitive second and final on the toughest Pirellis.

Ferrari opted for the lighter wing of the two courses in Arabia

The fastest car won , not in terms of pace (equivalent to Ferrari) or wear (better Ferrari), but in the true sense of the word speed , that is the speed with which a car moves on the asphalt . Unlike Red Bull, which tested a medium-low load set-up with Perez on Friday , which was also used by Verstappen during the rest of the weekend, Ferrari has never questioned whether it wants to race with a greater downforce .

However, between FP1 and FP2, the Italian team also wanted to test two specific rear wings on its two cars. In addition to the medium-high load one already seen in Bahrain and used in Arabia during the first free practice sessions, when the track was rather dirty and with little grip, a slightly lighter specification mounted on both F1-75s was brought in in the second. hour of free.

Of course, nothing to do with the choice made in Milton Keynes or by Alpine. “We were fast in the corners, but rather slow in the straights because we opted for more downforce,” said Leclerc. A choice emerging from the many simulations carried out in Maranello and considered as the best compromise between pure performance and tire management . The Italian team was focusing a lot on this last technical factor. “Max had a slightly higher downforce level on Friday, then he reduced it. We instead decided to stay on a higher downforce level, because we believed it was important for tire degradation.. But in the end, in the race, the degradation of the tires was minimal ” said Mattia Binotto after the race.

Clearly, in retrospect, we can say that the choice did not pay off. However , the engineers did not regret it , the lack of data with the long run had an impact, making the choice on the set-up more conservative, also with regard to the heights from the ground. In this phase, the important thing is to collect as many points as possible , without risking aggression that could lead to more counterproductive effects than useful. It is no coincidence that before the race, Binotto even mentioned the importance "of bringing both cars to the finish" . Jeddah was treacherous from this point of the trail.

Red Bull knows something about aggression that can lead to unpleasant surprises when looking at Bahrain. However, in the Anglo-Austrian team they have to be if they want to limit the extra weight of their car and match the performance of a more complete F1-75 to date. Precisely with regard to the weight of the Anglo-Austrian car, Marko announced that a second lightening package will arrive in Imola , after the one brought between tests and the first race. Ten kilograms, on average, are worth two tenths. Not a little, Ferrari will have to respond.

Red Bull even worse in terms of tire wear, however in Arabia it was not a relevant factor

While in Bahrain, the more exhausted set-up of the RB18s had caused him significant tire wear, in Arabia it was not such a determining factor , although it still suffered from it again. On lap 13, Checo Perez reported that his right front tire was starting to wear quickly , giving it a click to increase the incidence of his front wing by a click during the pit stop. This, after he had managed to stretch up to 2.8 seconds ahead of Charles Leclerc . Verstappen also suffered on the same compound, always on the front. “I didn't really feel that happy in middleweight ,” said the world champion."When I pushed harder to try and get closer to Sainz, the tires seemed to 'die' . " They tended to overheat, resulting in a loss of grip and performance.

With hard rubber, everything was less accentuated. However, Verstappen was able to count on an important cooling phase of its tires due to the Virtual Safety Car, due to the problem at Daniel Ricciardo's McLaren. The new generation of Pirelli is not only very sensitive to the heating phases, but also to the cooling phases . Overheated tires, if subjected to a few slow laps, come back to life again offering the right grip. What happened to the world champion under the VSC regime, who was then able to guarantee a faster warm-up of the front tires, thanks to the greater slip of his RB18 compared to the F1-75.

In addition, the lead of more than one second before the start of the VSC was reduced to just half a second during the VSC phase . "I was a little surprised too ," said Verstappen, "I don't know how close Charles was to zero on delta time ." In this case, it was not a matter of Verstappen's cunning but rather of a rather concersative approach by Leclerc, coupled with a communication problem between the engineer from the Monegasque and the pilot himself. Lost precious tenths, which would have protected him from the continuous use of the DRS by the Dutch, on a track where the FIA ​​should reconsider the areas where it is possible to open the mobile wing. Especially the double zone between the central part (from turns 20 to 22) and the final part of the circuit (from turns 25 to 27), makes the approach too easy. An even more accentuated effect considering the speed delta that existed in Arabia between the RB18 and the F1-75.

Ferrari's pit call, a trap for Red Bull?

On lap 15, with Perez in difficulty due to a more pronounced wear of the front right above all, Ferrari made the call to attempt the undercut with Charles Leclerc . Red Bull immediately responded by bringing Perez to the pits, with the Monegasque who thus managed to take the leadership of the Grand Prix. "Stay out, push for the overcut" they let him know via radio a few meters from the entrance to the pit lane. Not a danger, since fortunately he had already understood by himself that the order was to do the opposite of what Perez would have done.

However, Red Bull denied having taken the Ferrari trap. “Checo entered the pits exactly on the lap we talked about before the race ,” explained Christian Horner after the race. At Red Bull, however, they could not have known that in a few minutes Latifi would crash. Called the Safety Car, it was immediately clear that Perez would at least be in third position. This is because Leclerc, Sainz and Verstappen could make a halve stop in terms of timing. “These are things that can happen, especially on a track like this. Latifi put it in the wall at the wrong time for me. Those are the races, ” the Mexican later said. Perez's stop was still a correct call because if he hadn't stopped , Leclerc would have tried the undercut: “We were ready for the stop. We did the opposite of what Checo did, it was a right decision, even more correct in retrospect ” said Leclerc at the end of the race.

Was Verstappen punished for unsafe release?

It was a very subtle fight between Ferrari and Red Bull, favored by the possibility of pushing for most of the laps, thanks to tires that did not show significant signs of overheating, at least compared to what we were used to seeing in past seasons. The number of overtaking has increased by 20% , but the most important thing is the ease with which the drivers are now able to follow each other.

Thanks to the Pirelli product and the new aerodynamics, the battles in Bahrain and even more in Arabia have shown that the regulations are working: an overtaken driver is not entirely beaten . Charles Leclerc was also about to show it when, once overtaken by Verstappen, he was able to stay glued to attempt the counter-overtake. However, the incident between Alex Albon and Lance Stroll has deprived us of the latter two long-standing 'friends'. A lucky episode for the world champion and not even the only one if you also think about the risk of an unsafe releasewho raced when he made the only pit stop of his race, with Carlos Sainz having to slow down slightly to avoid contact. As Mattia Binotto also explained, "the telemetry showed it clearly" , however, the commissioners decided not to punish the Dutchman. "When you are this close, the races are decided by the details" rightly said the TP of the Italian team . In Jeddah, in the details, Red Bull was better. Also in terms of luck?
    Last edited by nani_s23; 28th March 2022 at 20:51.

After some research and in particular reading the link below, I do not believe that Ferrari has opted for an axial compressor. It is unlikely to achieve the necessary level of compression and its lenght would be problematic. As the diameter of the compressor would be limited in the case of a short split turbo (eary Honda's solution), if Ferrari adopted the splitted solution, the compressor could only be at the front of the cylinder banks, outside the V. It is likely that the 4 engine manufacturers now have a similar configuration, with some distinctions in packaging, combustion chambers and maby pre-chambers, timing valves and management of the air flow upstream of these chambers
    https://www.as-web.jp/f1/796738?all

I saw on another forum that the remaining flap of the Ferrari rear wing is much bigger than the RB. Looks like we might get some gains here

Found this.

Attached Images Attached Images

So Binotto stated they will have to be cautious with their own development program because of the budget cap.
    Basically the car is the same since Barcelona test.
    On the other side Mercedes and Red Bull planned two big step since Bahreïn GP.
    At Imola the two teams will have completed 4 stages of development since the Barcelona tests..
    It’s strange, isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    So Binotto stated they will have to be cautious with their own development program because of the budget cap.
    Basically the car is the same since Barcelona test.
    On the other side Mercedes and Red Bull planned two big step since Bahreïn GP.
    At Imola the two teams will have completed 4 stages of development since the Barcelona tests..
    It’s strange, isn’t it?
    I guess if RB didn't do that, they'd have been very far behind. They were playing catchup and already ate away a portion of their cap. I don't think they were expecting to be this close to Ferrari after these updates (eg they were expecting to be up a few tenths). This could indicate Ferrari has an advantage, although we don't know where they really are cap wise, with possibly more room under the cap to develop the car.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I guess if RB didn't do that, they'd have been very far behind. They were playing catchup and already ate away a portion of their cap. I don't think they were expecting to be this close to Ferrari after these updates (eg they were expecting to be up a few tenths). This could indicate Ferrari has an advantage, although we don't know where they really are cap wise, with possibly more room under the cap to develop the car.
    that's exactly what I said on another thread.

why would you waste budget on updates without having the car on track if you're red bull?

my other question is, what good is it to have more CFD tokens as Ferrari has, if you aren't allowed to use them because of the budget cap??

i agree there are reasons to be suspicious of the engine freeze and the budget cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    that's exactly what I said on another thread.

why would you waste budget on updates without having the car on track if you're red bull?

my other question is, what good is it to have more CFD tokens as Ferrari has, if you aren't allowed to use them because of the budget cap??

i agree there are reasons to be suspicious of the engine freeze and the budget cap.
    It's bit hard to know, so it's all speculation, but it could also be that they arrived at the first test wanting to ensure the results of on track testing correlated with their simulator and once that was done, they concluded development of their upgrades knowing they would work.

I don't think Ferrari is behind from that perspective, I think it may simply mean they had more confidence in their simulators.

But what do I know lol, I'm not qualified to talk about this. Auditing on the other hand, that I'm qualified to talk about. But no one cares about that unfortunately lol...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

I love how we're not in a hurry to bring upgrades while everyone around us is scrambling.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Ferrari's drivers have developed into two of the best drivers on the track! Just look how there making do with what they have to drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Ferrari's drivers have developed into two of the best drivers on the track! Just look how there making do with what they have to drive!
    Absolutely. Much like the well-developed George Russell finishing 5th in that scrap of a car while his undeveloped teammate languished in 10th.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

This is not the Ferrari of old where emotions dictated the outcome. This is a completely different team. They're calm, methodical and data-driven.

I'd say trust the team and let them handle the development of the F1-75. They know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    This is not the Ferrari of old where emotions dictated the outcome. This is a completely different team. They're calm, methodical and data-driven.

I'd say trust the team and let them handle the development of the F1-75. They know what to do.
    I tend to agree with you, so far this season the team look to be more organised and proactive as well as having produced a very competitive car, the drivers are doing the business, especially Charles. My only hope is that they don't drop the ball as the season progresses or run out of steam, it's a long season and they will need to keep on top of every aspect. So far, I'm impressed but never under-estimate RB or Merc to give us a headache.

With the new wind tunnel and simulator I think they are better armed for the in season development this year!
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Found in f1tech. Deepl translate.

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-al-l...a-della-f1-75/

Ferrari working to improve the F1-75's aerodynamic efficiency

While Red Bull will be extracting more performance by lightening the RB18, Ferrari is working on a number of fronts with the important aim of improving the F1-75's efficiency. A car born from the minds that also gave birth to the SF70H, also the first car in a new set of regulations, which shares the F1-75's less-than-excellent aerodynamic efficiency but excellent slow-moving, traction and tyre management skills.

As David Sanchez mentioned earlier, Maranello is working on a new underbody that will solve the problems of aerodynamic lift. This would allow the Italian car to express itself to its full potential. At Ferrari, they haven't yet managed to manage the porpoising as well as on the RB18. "There was a lot of talk about Mclaren during the first tests, but Red Bull is the team that had the least problems with porpoising," an Alfa Romeo engineer told us. "I'm sure Newey foresaw it in the design phase and worked on the mechanics as well as the aerodynamics to solve it.

Ferrari uses slightly higher ride heights than the RB18 to avoid deleterious wheelspin at high speeds and when braking, especially hard braking, as well as a tie rod at the rear of the bottom. This component avoids excessive bending of the outer parts that run closer to the ground, allowing a greater load to be generated at the bottom, but with an important limitation: a minimum height that generates flow separation, thus activating porpoising. Eliminating the tie rod would mean strengthening the bottom, with losses in terms of both budget and weight. Hence the Fia concession of a component otherwise considered illegal.

The particular aerodynamic concept of the F1-75 manages, however, to limit the small percentage loss of load on the lower part of the car, generating it with the upper part, which, however, costs something more in terms of drag. Tyres and rear wing are the macro components that, on this new generation of cars, generate the highest percentage of aerodynamic resistance.

Bringing to the track a surface that would allow Ferrari to run the F1-75 even closer to the ground would allow the rear wing to be unloaded and consequently improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the Italian car, making an important step forward in terms of performance. Ferrari has also left itself some room for manoeuvre when it comes to the belly pods in order to reduce their size.

"The developments we are working on, we will only introduce them when we are sure they are mature enough to allow us to take a proper step forward." Waiting for further confirmation, not before Imola.

Some are expecting new floor and an electric power upgrade in Imola. We were expecting the floor (if they see enough progress in the simulation tools), for the electrical upgrade, it's a surprise
    https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-pla...re-porpoising/
    Last edited by Gilles; 31st March 2022 at 18:28.

Hello to everyone!
    New here.
    Some news say that Red Bull will reduce their weight by 8-10 kg which means gains 0,3-0,4 per lap... considering that we are already behind about 1-2 tenths...isnt it really early to be so much behind.We all know that Ferrari has evolution problems...lets see what we can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Schumi View Post
    Hello to everyone!
    New here.
    Some news say that Red Bull will reduce their weight by 8-10 kg which means gains 0,3-0,4 per lap... considering that we are already behind about 1-2 tenths...isnt it really early to be so much behind.We all know that Ferrari has evolution problems...lets see what we can manage.
    Welcome!!!
    Where did you see that we are already 1,2 behind??
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Hello to everyone!
    New here.
    actually we are faster thats why they are running with significant less wing to keep up with us by being faster on top speed on the straights.

Hello to everyone!
    New here.
    Welcome
    No more "evolution problems" expected since we are on par with other teams' simulation tools
    Wait and see Imola

Hello to everyone!
    New here.
    Hi again......
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Welcome
    No more "evolution problems" expected since we are on par with other teams' simulation tools
    Wait and see Imola
    Old Imola was my favorite track despite Ayrton died there.
    Why all tracks change with all these straights?I mean we had Tilke tracks with huge downforce demands the past years and now they put straights everywhere!
    I don t know ...im confused as evolution goes with budget cap etc etc...we will see
    Happy with the performance of the car and Charles until now.

Tracks like Imola are lovely but belong to a difefrent era.
    In order to have a proper race they have to adapt. Like being wider for example.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Welcome!!!
    Where did you see that we are already 1,2 behind??
    If we are not behind 1-2 tenths..then we are infront 1-2 tenths...we are so close with Red Bull.
    It is not completely clear which car is the fastest.But Ferrari and RB are clearly infront of everyone.Probably Mercs will close the gap but they wont be upthere soon.
    As for RB weihgt reduce is not that all advantage for them as they have to use lighter and more expensive materials.
    If Charles can expand the gap with Max in Australia i ll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Tracks like Imola are lovely but belong to a difefrent era.
    In order to have a proper race they have to adapt. Like being wider for example.
    Yeah!!That track was to narrow even in PC games.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I tend to agree with you, so far this season the team look to be more organised and proactive as well as having produced a very competitive car, the drivers are doing the business, especially Charles. My only hope is that they don't drop the ball as the season progresses or run out of steam, it's a long season and they will need to keep on top of every aspect. So far, I'm impressed but never under-estimate RB or Merc to give us a headache.
    How about we start have faith to the team and let them do their thing ?
    I know that in years past they dropped the ball; then again they dropped the ball big time in years before the Jean Todt/Michael years , so quite honestly, I don't care to think about the past.

To me, this is a new era, the team works like a new team prepared for this, the management is doing their best to deflect pressure from the team (finally) and the drivers so far are doing what they're supposed to be doing which is work in tandem as a team and getting maximum points.

So , let's puth faith to the team (I am not saying we don't but let's stop worrying bout the days past).
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Hello to everyone!
    New here.
    We have evolution problems? lol
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    We have evolution problems? lol
    We don t know yet my friend.Lets say iitin different words...Ferrari wasn t capable of upgrading the car enough past years.We don t know yet about this year.Red Bull s evolution was tremendous...they gained surely some tenths from Barcelona Test to Bahrain..but they spend surely money of their budget...so lets hope when Ferrari bring am update it will be an update that is working.
    There is no going back if bring an update that is not working.