Thread: Ferrari F1-75 Discussion Thread

Complete and accurate article, like they usualy do :
    https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-cred...l-regolamento/

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Complete and accurate article, like they usualy do :
    https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-cred...l-regolamento/
    I wish I could read it, but it does show that Ferrari brought a couple little updates.

Our engine is on song solid testing so far,no hiccups car is fast in all corners and well planted.Ferrari have started well and our design is stunning,not extreme but stunning voted by f1 pundits globally as the most beautiful car on the grid,will it be fast iam sure of it.There will not be a mercedes or redbull domination this year no chance,ferrari will be in the thick of the action and at the very pointy end of the race day business.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Our engine is on song solid testing so far,no hiccups car is fast in all corners and well planted.Ferrari have started well and our design is stunning,not extreme but stunning voted by f1 pundits globally as the most beautiful car on the grid,will it be fast iam sure of it.There will not be a mercedes or redbull domination this year no chance,ferrari will be in the thick of the action and at the very pointy end of the race day business.
    Pretty much how I see it, too.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Pretty much how I see it, too.
    Count me in, as well

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I wish I could read it, but it does show that Ferrari brought a couple little updates.
    Here's a google translation:

Ferrari believes that Mercedes mirrors go against the spirit of the regulations

"The F1-75 is the same as in Barcelona" Mattia Binotto said during the short press conference organized by Liberty Media. Not a novelty compared to what was expected.

In Bahrain to confirm the good correlation found at Montmelo

The Italian team wants to reach the first race , managing to extract the maximum potential of the F1-75 in all conditions. But not only. There is a question that at first glance could be less important, because it is less directly linked to the track, but which in reality is: the correlation between the track and the simulation tools present in Maranello, such as the wind tunnel and computational fluid dynamics. In order to correlate the behavior of a car, it is good to keep the aerodynamic platform as stable as possible, hence (also) the unwillingness to introduce an important package of updates on the F1-75 in tests or even in next week's race.

The data analyzed in the post Barcelona test gave the first positive answers . However, those coming out of this second three days of testing in Bahrain will now also be needed. A very different track from the Catalan one, especially as regards the management and correct functioning of the tires. In between the characteristics not only technical but also environmental. « The asphalt of Sakhir is the most abrasive of the year. This, coupled with track temperatures that can exceed 45 ° C, will put a lot of stress, especially on the rear, in terms of thermal degradation . Let us remember that we are on a stop & go track, with many traction sections » Pirelli told us.

One of the most important limitations, even of modern simulators, is related to the thermal degradation of tires. Pirelli provides teams with an encrypted virtual model that works in harmony with the main and far more important model developed by the teams. These are connected to the simulators to reproduce all the main variables related to the tires, especially grip and temperatures. Thanks to the data coming out of the virtual model provided by the Milanese company, the teams are able to simulate the thermal degradation of the tires. And it is precisely in this moment that the difference between the stables tends to widen in an important way; who is good makes the difference, who is less good uses very basic modelsto avoid taking the wrong path in the development of the car.

However, this means constantly simulating in conditions similar to, or very close to, those of new rubber without knowing the behavior of the car, especially in the second parts of the race stints, that is when degradation comes into play. In this respect, Mercedes and Red Bull are at the top, however, Ferrari has made significant progress over the past 24 months.

Ferrari believes that the mirrors of the W13 go "against the spirit of the regulations"

The topic of the day is certainly the important development that Mercedes has brought to the track in the central part of its W13 .

Mattia Binotto also talked about it during today's press conference. “It wasn't a surprise to us. The W13 looks like a very good machine, a good concept, quite different from ours, even in terms of the cooling layout. Then there are the bellies, something that looks quite interesting. '

A clearly extreme concept , according to what Formu1a.uno collected , which even in Maranello they had evaluated in the many hours spent to understand which was the best. However, it was later discarded, preferring that of the F1-75 for the potential shown and for potential developments.

Binotto then moved on to the thorniest issue , namely the legality of the solutions seen so far, after Red Bull expressed some perplexity. Ferrari's TP does not believe the W13 is using any illegal solution: «I would be surprised if Mercedes were doing something illegal. I don't think that's the point. " Instead, the question of mirrors is, or better still, their support which has become a real wing.

« On the mirrors, on the other hand, I am more surprised as the solution is rather surprising, something we do not expect. They found a very interesting solution but it is something that needs to be tackled, we need to discuss it together, " said the Ferrari team principal.

Which then continued. «We have already said in the past that mirrors should not have an aerodynamic purpose but only to look behind. This is not the case with some solutions seen, especially on Mercedes. There is a risk that all teams will start designing mirrors that look like spaceships . I don't think that's what we're looking for as Formula 1 ».

A small flow diverter has been added at the bottom start
    Today, at Ferrari, a job very similar to that carried out in Barcelona continued to be carried out. Rather short runs, mostly between 4 and 7 laps, with continuous setup changes to be able to map the behavior of the F1-75 on the C2, C3 and C4 compounds, in addition to the C2 PROTO (produced in Turkey).

Good times, less consistency especially on the C3 and C4, the latter however not suitable for the savero Sahkir track, the C3 instead more suitable but not in the central hours of the day, with the track rather hot.

"We have made some adjustments with porpoising problems and we are optimizing the package to try to extract the maximum potential ," said Binotto at the press conference. The new born in Maranello has not suffered much from the now known phenomenon of porpoising, something not so obvious as on each track the teams will have to quickly find countermeasures. Especially in Sahkir, given the particularly bumpy ground.

On the F1-75 a new specification tie rod has appeared in the terminal part of a bottom (yellow arrow in the previous image). A useful solution to remove the trigger of the phenomenon thanks to a greater rigidity. A solution also brought to the track by Mercedes, Alfa Romeo and Williams.

Again with regard to porpoising, the novelty brought to the track on the last day of testing in Barcelona has been confirmed with the cut created precisely where the Venturi tunnels have their minimum section at high speeds; this helps to vent the air externally and to limit the aerodynamic blocking. Below the cut was a small aerodynamic profile, also confirmed on the new bottom specification used today.

In addition to this, a small flow diverter appeared on the front at the beginning of the bottom (yellow arrow appears in the previous one), which instead has little to do with porposing.

« They are so different machines that right now the best thing is to learn them and understand how to extract their potential. We still have a lot to exploit, before bringing about developments » said Mattia Binotto. «We are finding very different conditions compared to Montmeló, both environmental (it's warmer) and technical as the track is different, with fewer corners at low speed. We are here to learn how to get the most out of the car in all conditions “concluded the Italian-Swiss technician.

@JPZ Thanks!

@JPZ Thanks!
    Sorry i haven't really realize you couldn't read it
    Last edited by Gilles; 12th March 2022 at 20:45.

It's good that Binotto is not buying into Mercedes being "the underdog". They ran the entire test with a detuned engine, not as detuned as ours, but more than Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    It's good that Binotto is not buying into Mercedes being "the underdog". They ran the entire test with a detuned engine, not as detuned as ours, but more than Honda.
    On what basis do you say that Mercedes was running detuned PU's more than Ferrari?

I think we have to be careful at this point, let's wait a few more days and it will finally be clear, at least for the start of the season

On what basis do you say that Mercedes was running detuned PU's more than Ferrari?
    That's exactly what he's not saying though.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Limited testing.
    What would be the point of sandbagging? If you are not testing the "real" car, then you are really not testing, no?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    That's exactly what he's not saying though.
    Sorry, wording error.

Correction: What evidence does Tifosi1993 have to say Mercedes have not been running on a very detuned engine, and that Ferrari have been more detuned than Red Bull or Mercedes?

Sorry, wording error.

Correction: What evidence does Tifosi1993 have to say Mercedes have not been running on a very detuned engine, and that Ferrari have been more detuned than Red Bull or Mercedes?
    I think Carlos Sainz made a similar observation when discussing GPS data, that's how Ferrari's engine was "caught" 2 years ago by Mercedes and Red Bull. So I'm assuming they are monitoring every second of every lap and watching variations in acceleration and speed at each data point.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think Carlos Sainz made a similar observation when discussing GPS data, that's how Ferrari's engine was "caught" 2 years ago by Mercedes and Red Bull. So I'm assuming they are monitoring every second of every lap and watching variations in acceleration and speed at each data point.
    Sainz suggested that Mercedes have been sandbagging based on the GPS data.

Tifosi1993 suggests that Mercedes has not been sandbagging that much, but Ferrari has. I've asked based on what, and still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I don’t think ferrari was caught based on GPS datas 2 years ago.

I’m %100 sure it was inside info delivered to Redbull or even Mercedes.. Then they hand in that to Redbull.

You can not pin point what is excatly going on in a combustion engine by looking GPS datas.

Even FIA couldnt understand what is going on by literally looking into it in the first place.

It's true, but as they knew illegally that Ferrari was doing something special, after sharing it between teams, they chose to argue the datas were anormal to the Fia so as not to expose themselves. It was illegal possession and sharing of intellectual preperties
    Last edited by Gilles; 15th March 2022 at 20:37.

Binotto:

The predominant part in terms of performance. From the floor comes 80-90% of the performance, the last tenths from the rest.

In Barcelona we saw in the third sector that our car is a good car and behaves well in slow corners.

At the end of last season, we were 20-25 horses away. For the little we have seen, we are at the level of the others. Definitely not less, maybe a little more. But it's not a conclusion.
    https://www.formu1a.uno/binotto-ferr...e-piu-potente/

Binotto always sells short, I wouldn't call him optimistic, he's more pessimistic. So him being optimistic is a very good sign.

And as I've said before, Ferrari ran the whole test with a massively detuned engine. For example, Mick was 9 tenths faster than Charles on the straights, when both had set their fastest lap time.

Binotto:

Binotto always sells short, I wouldn't call him optimistic, he's more pessimistic. So him being optimistic is a very good sign.

And as I've said before, Ferrari ran the whole test with a massively detuned engine. For example, Mick was 9 tenths faster than Charles on the straights, when both had set their fastest lap time.
    Bodes well for majority of tracks & also seems CFD correlations seem to be working well, only correlation left to be seen is in Binotto's words and track performance

Binotto:

Binnoto has always been very cautious in his interviews, right?

He always played it safe rather than be confident just to make sure that he doesn't fall flat on his face in front of the management and public.

I think Binnoto should have a right-hand man? Who can deal with the aggressive Team Leaders?

As with cars; being in neutral gets you no where .

But being cautious can save face. Nothing worse than bragging about how good you are and then falling flat. Remember BAR and how they were going to win their first race?

Here is the full article from AUtosport. I like Binotto's approach. He is very data driven and seems to like to have his thoughts confirmed before making a defining statement. Seems to be the right way so far.

Ferrari thinks 25bhp gap to Mercedes, Honda F1 engines has gone
    Ferrari is optimistic it has slashed a 25bhp engine deficit to Formula 1 rivals Mercedes and Honda this winter, and thinks there is even a chance it could be ahead.
    Jonathan Noble
    By:
    Jonathan Noble
    Co-author:
    Roberto Chinchero
    Mar 16, 2022, 5:15 AM
    Ferrari thinks 25bhp gap to Mercedes, Honda F1 engines has gone

The Maranello based squad has been tipped for a strong start to the season, after some consistently good performances throughout the two pre-season tests.

As well as a degree of confidence about its F1-75 chassis, team principal Mattia Binotto suggests that its analysis of winter testing has delivered some encouraging feedback on its power unit performance too.

Although a final verdict will not be possible until all the engines are run in anger in qualifying, as teams disguise their potential in testing, Binotto says his team’s feedback from testing data was positive.

Speaking about the new engine for 2022, Binotto said: “Knowing that from this year the engines will be frozen for the next four seasons, it was obviously important to start with a power unit that had no performance gap to the competition.

“At the end of last season we had a gap of 20-25 horsepower, so the first goal was to cancel this margin.

“At the moment we are not yet able to understand what the values on track are, as the measurements that we take using the GPS system have a certain accuracy, but they are not super precise. They are also influenced by the weight of the car, and without this data the estimate is difficult.

“When we are at a race weekend, there are moments, like in qualifying and at the start of the race, where we know the weight of the opponents' cars. But during the tests, this data is obviously not available.

“Then, there is also the slipstream effect, so you have to find laps without external influences.

“We usually wait three to four races to compile a statistic, because the more data that is available, the more a correct average emerges.

“In the tests, from the little we saw, we conducted an exercise and according to this initial analysis, we are at the level of the others. We are certainly not behind them, and perhaps we have a little more.

“But that is not a firm conclusion. We can only be satisfied for now in having confirmed the progress seen on the test bench.”

As well as being more upbeat about its engine, Ferrari’s new F1-75 appears to be delivering consistent and quick lap times as well.

And although Ferrari is remaining cautious about what is possible for the Bahrain Grand Prix – especially with Max Verstappen having been so fast on the final day of the test – Binotto does concede that it can be in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by djmorin27 View Post
    like i said r design department is so far behind in the thought process so old school that needs to change quick,did we bring a new floor front suspention and raised front end.the amount of drag that the car has compared to the other is monumental.we definitly have a bulldozer now
    Your ignorance causes me pain.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    You are right. So many talents, and yet world is in a mess!
    Copyright material !
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Your ignorance causes me pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Copyright material !

You're tough on our unwarranted pessimism experts !

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    You're tough on our unwarranted pessimism experts !
    What can I say, pessimism triggers me ;)

Okay guys, I did a little research on the SPLIT-TURBO debate on the Ferrari F1-75 some of us had on page 27 and page 28 of this thread and found some interesting things going forward.

First and foremost, the head guy at Maranello for the whole PU department is Enrico Gualtieri and his right hand man whom takes credit for the design of the "Superfast" PU is Wolff Zimmerman (German technician). Apparently, the 2022 does have the split-turbo design thereby coping the Mercedes/Honda split turbo.

So this article was 9 months ago: https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-dec...nd-effect-car/

here are excerpts from the article regarding the split-turbo:

The new Ferrari engine adopts the architecture of the supercharging system that will see the separation of turbine and compressor, taking up the concept introduced by Mercedes and then adopted by Honda.

The… copying is aimed at introducing the compressor inside the intake box to give a very low and compact 6-cylinder in favor of more extreme aerodynamics. The name “Superfast” would be justified by a combustion chamber capable of an explosion phase with very fast ignition times.

So the video that was posted in Italian and the member who translated the video was correct. I find it interesting that some of the articles like AMus, Motorsport(Italian), or Autosport have not published "Ferrari's Split-Turbo" design.

I guess Ferrari wanted to keep it low-key.....maybe???
    It's not how start but how you finish.

I’ve read this morning that Haas have already tested the exact same merc zero side pod design in the tunnel over a year ago and decided to go in a different direction. This would surely suggest that we were aware of the concept and didn't find any benefit. This could explain the unstable nature of the merc, fingers crossed…
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/haas-t...depod-concept/