Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363748 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F1-75 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    https://www.f1technical.net/forum/vi...30249#p1034019

interesting view around the sidepod and "tubs" area. Looks like that approach alone reduces drag and improves downforce.

Fluid dynamics is an extremely complex and complicated subject. It requires Wind Tunnels, CFD's and other state of the art tools to simulate. All those "experts" opinions of whether a design is worse or whether the sidepods are draggy should always be ignored, unless they're backed up concrete data points like the CFD models.

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/vi...30249#p1034019

interesting view around the sidepod and "tubs" area. Looks like that approach alone reduces drag and improves downforce.
    Imo not even close to what we have on real car.

Nice try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JacKy View Post

Nice try anyway.
    Well I found it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post

Fluid dynamics is an extremely complex and complicated subject. It requires Wind Tunnels, CFD's and other state of the art tools to simulate. All those "experts" opinions of whether a design is worse or whether the sidepods are draggy should always be ignored, unless they're backed up concrete data points like the CFD models.
    speaking of fluid dynamics and CFD, i found this on another site of someone that actually did a CFD model o the F1-75....quite inetersting

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/vi...b22f852e6a2d0c
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Hmm
    I also work with tools capable of doing this and even if I would not want to denigrate the quality of the work carried out, I would be careful
    I agree that it is possible to use it to try to understand what SF does with the sidepods, but if it is already interesting, I also think that it is rather limited. Limited by the quality of the tool itself, by the accuracy of the 3d model, the nature of the air masses, etc. Better understand the flows, ok, but I would be careful at least with the numbers.
    But again, aero is not my profession
    Last edited by Gilles; 20th February 2022 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by JacKy View Post

Nice try anyway.
    Well I found it interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    speaking of fluid dynamics and CFD, i found this on another site of someone that actually did a CFD model o the F1-75....quite inetersting

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/vi...b22f852e6a2d0c
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Hmm
    I also work with tools capable of doing this and even if I would not want to denigrate the quality of the work carried out, I would be careful
    I agree that it is possible to use it to try to understand what SF does with the sidepods, but if it is already interesting, I also think that it is rather limited. Limited by the quality of the tool itself, by the accuracy of the 3d model, the nature of the air masses, etc. Better understand the flows, ok, but I would be careful with the numbers.
    From an aerodynamicist from Mercedes in 2016. He breaks down the F1-75 aerodynamically. He also did the W13.

Enjoy.

Ferrari F1-75 - Aerodynamics Analysis and Initial Thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_pVuaNkx0o
    It's not how start but how you finish.

First upgrades of the F1-75 just leaked! ... eh, just kidding I just wanted to see how would the car look with some other concepts. Shorter nose with the bottom part of the wing not connected, even slimmer sidepod inlets (the size bothered me as this is how I imagined it to look after seeing the leaked side shot), floating sidepods, but mainly... as the rear wing is without any sponsor, how about slapping big yellow Ferrari on it? And as we are all waiting for the season to start I figured I'll share it for fun if anyone is interested to see that too. Hopefully I didn't desecrate the work of art the F1-75 is, nor am I saying I know anything about aerodynamics and so on

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    First upgrades of the F1-75 just leaked! ... eh, just kidding I just wanted to see how would the car look with some other concepts. Shorter nose with the bottom part of the wing not connected, even slimmer sidepod inlets (the size bothered me as this is how I imagined it to look after seeing the leaked side shot), floating sidepods, but mainly... as the rear wing is without any sponsor, how about slapping big yellow Ferrari on it? And as we are all waiting for the season to start I figured I'll share it for fun if anyone is interested to see that too. Hopefully I didn't desecrate the work of art the F1-75 is, nor am I saying I know anything about aerodynamics and so on

http://www.spector.wz.cz/f175.jpg
    I would like to see Ferrari change their nose to attach to the second element, but this might be harder to accomplish than it seems. Firstly, the structural loads on the front wing would have to be carried through almost entirely through the 2nd element, where as right now it's likely the majority of loads are on the 1st element. Secondly, I know that Ferrari's nose design is modular and they have some freedom to play around without affecting the crash test results, however I am not sure if that includes all tip of the nose. Of course, the small gain in efficiency in making this change may hurt something else downstream, so who knows if it's even a good idea to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I would like to see Ferrari change their nose to attach to the second element, but this might be harder to accomplish than it seems. Firstly, the structural loads on the front wing would have to be carried through almost entirely through the 2nd element, where as right now it's likely the majority of loads are on the 1st element. Secondly, I know that Ferrari's nose design is modular and they have some freedom to play around without affecting the crash test results, however I am not sure if that includes all tip of the nose. Of course, the small gain in efficiency in making this change may hurt something else downstream, so who knows if it's even a good idea to change it.
    Ferrari could potentially use a different style nose depending on the circuit.

This was done in the past, the F310-B had major variations and the F300 till F1-2000 had some subtle variations from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Hmm
    I agree that it is possible to use it to try to understand what SF does with the sidepods, but if it is already interesting, I also think that it is rather limited. Limited by the quality of the tool itself, by the accuracy of the 3d model, the nature of the air masses, etc. Better understand the flows, ok, but I would be careful with the numbers.
    Of course it's not entirely accurate. Only Ferrari knows the true geometry of the F1-75, so other peoples analysis will never be perfect. But sill, we can always get a general idea, like why Ferrari choose these route over other solutions.

Also we haven't seen the true floor yet. Ferrari have been hiding the venturi tunnel floor for now, but I think it will be present on the car from the first day of the preseason testing.

After all the relevant introductions of the cars I have strange feeling that Ferrari is beautiful, but they have chosen wrong concept and it will be slow. We will see, but my tip is, that Ferrari will be 5th fastest behind RB, MB, McL, AT and AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honzus View Post
    After all the relevant introductions of the cars I have strange feeling that Ferrari is beautiful, but they have chosen wrong concept and it will be slow. We will see, but my tip is, that Ferrari will be 5th fastest behind RB, MB, McL, AT and AM.
    So add Alfa and surely Alpine
    Last edited by Gilles; 20th February 2022 at 20:42.

I am scared about that too. But that happened way too many times in a row for Ferrari... basically since 2009. In that year, they have gotten the rules wrong, then we have chosen the wrong way with the coanda effect after the blown diffuser fiasco, Then in 2014 we did not manage to get right the new engine and even the nose formule after that. And in 2019 the direction of the new front wing regulations we've taken was not the right one. We need to be right this time. We can't be beaten by Red Bull or Mercedes or anybody else again. Not when they were fighting for the title while we were focusing on our new car 100% with our resources. It has to work out. It just has to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    I am scared about that too. But that happened way too many times in a row for Ferrari... basically since 2009. In that year, they have gotten the rules wrong, then we have chosen the wrong way with the coanda effect after the blown diffuser fiasco, Then in 2014 we did not manage to get right the new engine and even the nose formule after that. And in 2019 the direction of the new front wing regulations we've taken was not the right one. We need to be right this time. We can't be beaten by Red Bull or Mercedes or anybody else again. Not when they were fighting for the title while we were focusing on our new car 100% with our resources. It has to work out. It just has to.
    Let's be prepared for the worst, let's hope for the best.

Great picture. The red almost looks like silk or satin. However I am not digging the number. The font, the overhang on the nose, and mostly being black. At least use a white stroke (outline) around it.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    Great picture. The red almost looks like silk or satin. However I am not digging the number. The font, the overhang on the nose, and mostly being black. At least use a white stroke (outline) around it.
    Number should be in white. Visibility wise.

If this car is slow im going to shot my self in both legs

I've been using this Chinese caution saying for years, but frankly, in this case, I can't bring myself to. If Ferrari were to be as poor as that, it would be a huge disaster. Ok, the Fiat group is disappearing, so everything happens, but please!

Thanks for the picture.

It kinda replies to one of my questions : why does the Ferrari front wing keep element at the center ?
    Mercedes type front wind seems more logical considering how important it is the get clean air underneath the car.

But we can see that plane are flat at the center. I suppose that Ferrari is trying to clean the air arround the nose.

Don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Wind tunnels use 1/6 scale or 60% scale of the actual full size car as regulated by the FIA......fyi.
    1/6 would be 16.7% not 60% and scales are usually shown as 1:6 meaning 1 unit of measure in model size is 6 in real world.

Is 1/6 a European thing like using a period instead of a comma after the thousand place?

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    1/6 would be 16.7% not 60% and scales are usually shown as 1:6 meaning 1 unit of measure in model size is 6 in real world.

Is 1/6 a European thing like using a period instead of a comma after the thousand place?
    Apologies.....symantics error. I should have typed 1:6 scale instead of 1/6 scale.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I still want the racing numbers 16/55 in white so that we can see them more easily!

Another point of view regarding our car sidepods and Gill design and it's intended use... Quite interesting, too...

IMG_20220221_180827.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I still want the racing numbers 16/55 in white so that we can see them more easily!
    You and Stefa are absolutely right that numbers should be WHITE!

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    You and Stefa are absolutely right that numbers should be WHITE!
    Can I join you? It's so obvious.
    I really hope they were technically smarter

Although it looks like more of the cars are utilizing some sort of sidepods like Ferrari. If we look at the early Haas car its.obvious they tested a Merc like almost pod less design and.still went with the larger sidepods. So there must be some.merit to them.

I hope I will be proven wrong. In terms of look, F1-75 is the champion by far.

Now, Arnoux and Capelli say Ferrari is not capable of building a competitive car. With these technical choices aside, we haven't finished hearing these comments which, added to the bad last cars, do not reassure anyone, that's true. For the moment, my only certainty is that these two drivers were really bad, which does not help us, ok. Let's keep calm, the list of Cassandras whose opinion is not worth much is potentially long. Courage mates, it's still too early for a collective suicide