Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: AustrianGP 2020: Race

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    so season OVER for Ferrari then......
    Perhaps not, if they can improve the whole package (but based on history, it can hardly happen)

We could say that P2 was a miracle, great driving skills from Charles and very lucky with all that mess in race, I don`t think that will happen again this weekend. Hopefully I am wrong.

1 Valtteri Bottas FIN MERCEDES 25
    2 Charles Leclerc MON FERRARI 18
    3 Lando Norris GBR MCLAREN RENAULT 16
    4 Lewis Hamilton GBR MERCEDES 12
    5 Carlos Sainz ESP MCLAREN RENAULT 10
    6 Sergio Perez MEX RACING POINT BWT MERCEDES 8
    7 Pierre Gasly FRA ALPHATAURI HONDA 6
    8 Esteban Ocon FRA RENAULT 4
    9 Antonio Giovinazzi ITA ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 2
    10 Sebastian Vettel GER FERRARI 1
    11 Nicholas Latifi CAN WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
    12 Daniil Kvyat RUS ALPHATAURI HONDA 0
    13 Alexander Albon THA RED BULL RACING HONDA 0

1 MERCEDES 37
    2 MCLAREN RENAULT 26
    3 FERRARI 19
    4 RACING POINT BWT MERCEDES 8
    5 ALPHATAURI HONDA 6
    6 RENAULT 4
    7 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 2
    8 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
    9 RED BULL RACING HONDA 0

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post

Ferrari drivers have won the vote plenty of times, Charles was brilliant but let's be honest without the SC periods and others falling apart he would be nowhere near 2nd.
    Forza Ferrari

Well, Mclaren and Racing Point are faster than last year and Bottas set a new lap record during quali.
    We need to keep in mind that those teams had pace to find and they did. So did Williams as well.

However RBR and Mercedes indeed didn't produce something spectacular and they did bring changes from their introduced 2020 cars.
    That speaks volumes.
    It's our car that is hampered with issues.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    We need to keep in mind that those teams had pace to find and they did. So did Williams as well.

However RBR and Mercedes indeed didn't produce something spectacular and they did bring changes from their introduced 2020 cars.
    That speaks volumes.
    It's our car that is hampered with issues.
    Mercedes gained 3 tenths from last year which is a significant gap on such a track. Red Bull would be faster too if not for the bad setup.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    1 MERCEDES 37
    2 MCLAREN RENAULT 26
    3 FERRARI 19
    4 RACING POINT BWT MERCEDES 8
    5 ALPHATAURI HONDA 6
    6 RENAULT 4
    7 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 2
    8 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
    9 RED BULL RACING HONDA 0
    Interesting reliability issues which could once again come into play this weekend.

'Driver of the Day' as voted by F1 fans on F1.com was a bit of a joke (to say the least):

How the votes were cast
    Alex Albon – 15%
    Lando Norris – 13.9%
    Valtteri Bottas - 12.7%
    Sergio Perez - 12.2%
    Charles Leclerc – 11.6%

Charles Leclerc only placed 5TH for DoD?!!!

So, let me get this straight: Charles comes an astounding 2nd with a sub-par car that was definitely slower than both the McLaren of Norris and the Racing Point of Perez, both of whom he beat fair and square, and yet he somehow gets less votes than them??

Bottas may have won the race but - let's face it - that car is a rocket and it was hardly hard work for him to do so. Winning in the fastest car doesn't mean you should automatically be DoD, as we all know.

Which leaves Albon. Little boy blue is now going around saying he's convinced he could've won the race had Lewis not punted him out. Yeah, sure thing, Alex. Would he have passed Bottas? Was the RBR even up for it reliability-wise? Hmmm. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Uh huh.

Bottom line is that Charles stayed out of trouble, picked his battles intelligently and somehow finished 2nd - all in an inferior car to those around him. THAT takes ability, THAT takes class, THAT should make him DoD.

What the F1.com vote does show are the levels of anti-Ferrari bias that permeate the F1 fan world. Alas, that shouldn't surprise any of us.

Hell, we even have anti-Ferrari bias right here on this forum! : -P

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Interesting reliability issues which could once again come into play this weekend.
    Possibly. Almost half the field dropped out.

I believe most of the reliability issues were caused by the drivers running wide on the kerbs.....agitation and vibration. Heck, even Mercedes team radio were warning their drivers of gearbox sensors and to take care of the car several times.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Charles on-board team radio coming in P2

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1280051356435243009

3 tenths improvement on a 63 seconds track is big , but when sector times taken into consideration, it doesn't look that substantial. The main difference is in sector 1, where Mercedes gained 2-3 tenths compared to last years car. The time in sector 2 and 3, pretty much equal to Lelcerc's last years pole time.

Mercedes (2020) vs Ferrari (2019):

Sector 1: Hamilton 15.898 vs Leclerc 15.952​ (-0.054)

Sector 2: Bottas 27.905 vs Leclerc 27.961 (-0.056)

Sector 3: Bottas 18.984 vs Leclerc 19.050 (-0.066)

So it's an improvement, but not that substantial. Ferrari on the other hand lost 9 tenths in qualifying, which is a substantial lose. And according to Binotto, we are losing 7 tenths on the straights.
    So overall, SF1000 even with the winter-test spec aero, is much better than SF90 around corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    'Driver of the Day' as voted by F1 fans on F1.com was a bit of a joke (to say the least):

How the votes were cast
    Alex Albon – 15%
    Lando Norris – 13.9%
    Valtteri Bottas - 12.7%
    Sergio Perez - 12.2%
    Charles Leclerc – 11.6%

Charles Leclerc only placed 5TH for DoD?!!!

So, let me get this straight: Charles comes an astounding 2nd with a sub-par car that was definitely slower than both the McLaren of Norris and the Racing Point of Perez, both of whom he beat fair and square, and yet he somehow gets less votes than them??

Bottas may have won the race but - let's face it - that car is a rocket and it was hardly hard work for him to do so. Winning in the fastest car doesn't mean you should automatically be DoD, as we all know.

Which leaves Albon. Little boy blue is now going around saying he's convinced he could've won the race had Lewis not punted him out. Yeah, sure thing, Alex. Would he have passed Bottas? Was the RBR even up for it reliability-wise? Hmmm. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Uh huh.

Bottom line is that Charles stayed out of trouble, picked his battles intelligently and somehow finished 2nd - all in an inferior car to those around him. THAT takes ability, THAT takes class, THAT should make him DoD.

What the F1.com vote does show are the levels of anti-Ferrari bias that permeate the F1 fan world. Alas, that shouldn't surprise any of us.

Hell, we even have anti-Ferrari bias right here on this forum! : -P
    Sergio Perez 12.2 & lec 11.6%

Lec took the worst car to podium finish. Wt did Perez do? Squeezing everyone ? With the 3rd best car he wasn’t able to make it to podium.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Ferrari drivers have won the vote plenty of times, Charles was brilliant but let's be honest without the SC periods and others falling apart he would be nowhere near 2nd.
    Even Lec says that .

I say again that Lec & SC saved Binotto to some extent.

Those masks of Ferrari ... looks stylish. I’m trying to check, from where can I get those....

Charles was the driver of the day for me yesterday.

I have a hard time beleiving that Ferrari screwed up it's aero that badly that it's the cause of their low top speeds. Their car still looks aero efficient and it's pretty good in the corners. I"m betting the FIA has hampered Ferrari's ability to use it's PU's full power. Maybe in exchange for no punishment for the fuel issue fiasco, and to keep everything under wraps, FIA is making Ferrari detune it's engine. Ferrari is being too gracious in agreeing to these new rules. Bringing no PU updates for the race when they knew they were down on power? No way. Something's up and the fact the whole Ferrari camp is silent and keeping low key says there is something going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I have a hard time beleiving that Ferrari screwed up it's aero that badly that it's the cause of their low top speeds. Their car still looks aero efficient and it's pretty good in the corners. I"m betting the FIA has hampered Ferrari's ability to use it's PU's full power. Maybe in exchange for no punishment for the fuel issue fiasco, and to keep everything under wraps, FIA is making Ferrari detune it's engine. Ferrari is being too gracious in agreeing to these new rules. Bringing no PU updates for the race when they knew they were down on power? No way. Something's up and the fact the whole Ferrari camp is silent and keeping low key says there is something going on.

Ever since the FIA installed the 2nd fuel flow sensor(last year mid summer), Ferrari's power has diminished. Binotto knows this and has stated it.....along with new aero bits hopefully coming this weekend.

FYI....rain looks to be in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday....which would equalize the playing field....can't wait for it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Anyone noticed the different driving style from Charles?

When he brakes he still in softly on the throttle for about 10 - 30% all the times.

Wonder what the benefit is from this technique?
    Left foot braking technique allows a driver to control the brake balance by applying some throttle while braking.
    Though not the first driver to do it, Schumi was the first F1 driver who took full advantage of it.

In the Formula 1, left foot braking was introduced at the beginning of the 1970's. A new breed of young and talented drivers were learning their trade in karting, often before reaching the age that permitted them to drive a car on the road. With only two pedals, distributed one to each side of steering column, only the left foot could be used for braking. With no preconceived idea on how to drive fast, these young drivers, discovered that, by using the throttle and brakes at the same time, it was possible to tune the brake balance, and so alter the balance of the kart as they braked and turned into a corner. By applying power to the rear axle, the front tires do more of the braking than the rear. This stabilized the kart under braking, and prevented it from wanting to oversteer during the critical turn-in.

During nineties, certain Michael Schumacher enters in F1 world. He was the first of Formula 1 drivers to use full potential of left foot braking. During his first and second year in F1, all engineers and drivers of other teams where surprised to hear his car passing trough corners with full throttle applied. He was controlling the speed and brake bias of the car using the only the brakes.
    http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/l...t_braking.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Left foot braking technique allows a driver to control the brake balance by applying some throttle while braking.
    Though not the first driver to do it, Schumi was the first F1 driver who took full advantage of it.

Senna was.....he would "rabbit" the throttle while braking.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Senna was.....he would "rabbit" the throttle while braking.
    That is true, he was blipping the throttle to keep the turbo spun up.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    3 tenths improvement on a 63 seconds track is big , but when sector times taken into consideration, it doesn't look that substantial. The main difference is in sector 1, where Mercedes gained 2-3 tenths compared to last years car. The time in sector 2 and 3, pretty much equal to Lelcerc's last years pole time.

So it's an improvement, but not that substantial. Ferrari on the other hand lost 9 tenths in qualifying, which is a substantial lose. And according to Binotto, we are losing 7 tenths on the straights.
    So overall, SF1000 even with the winter-test spec aero, is much better than SF90 around corners.
    Hopefully the update improves efficiency without sacrificing cornering, or atleast is a better comprimise.

Ever since the FIA installed the 2nd fuel flow sensor(last year mid summer), Ferrari's power has diminished. Binotto knows this and has stated it.....along with new aero bits hopefully coming this weekend.

FYI....rain looks to be in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday....which would equalize the playing field....can't wait for it to happen.
    Yeah, I was looking at the 10 day forecast yesterday. It would mean Ferrari got really lucky with damage control these first 2 races. Now, they just need a b-spec that can find a second a lap. If it IS indeed just aero, they should be able to find it because the SF90 was that fast.

Since i 1st heard it from Binotto,i'm wondering .if we are 9tenths slower then last year and from that the 7 are from the straights,isnt there another 2 tenths remaining that we must lose from the corners ????? So the SF1000 is slightly worse even in the corners ??!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Since i 1st heard it from Binotto,i'm wondering .if we are 9tenths slower then last year and from that the 7 are from the straights,isnt there another 2 tenths remaining that we must lose from the corners ????? So the SF1000 is slightly worse even in the corners ??!!!
    I take that to mean it's still slower than Merc there. Not necessarily slower than SF90.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    I take that to mean it's still slower than Merc there. Not necessarily slower than SF90.
    ok,i got it!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Yeah so we just need to dig deep and get some HP back and we’ll be in good shape...clearly the new car has more downforce and is much better round corners compared to the sf90....maybe it has too much dirty downforce and once they’ll figure that out maybe our car won’t be so draggy

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    Charles was the driver of the day for me yesterday.

Where was your idol??. That right once again practicing on his ballerina skills doing what he does best.....pirouettes....LOl

Fia made it clear last year that they would be checking engines. By now, Ferrari should have had time to develop a decent engine that didn't rely so much on little fuel tricks. 2018 our engine was already pretty good. Only reason I can think of why our engine is so slow this year has to do with FIA mandated restrictions. And we agreed to freeze these units. Unbelievable. I can't think if Ferrari knew they had such a dog of an engine the would agree to a freeze and only 2 tokens. They must be under pressure to toe the line or FIA goes public.