Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Baku GP: Race

Result: our strategy sucks again. If Seb stayed 3 more laps and put ultrasoft he could have been first and not in such a pressure. Its not his foult at all.

Quote Originally Posted by alfa84 View Post
    Result: our strategy sucks again. If Seb stayed 3 more laps and put ultrasoft he could have been first and not in such a pressure. Its not his foult at all.
    My guess is Seb's tyres were almost gone.. You could see the front wasn't in good shape.. wen HAM's tyres were gone he lost a lot on 1 lap.. also no one knows for sure if the US would have worked and how long
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

With regards to strategy it is easier to judge with hindsight but i believe that the pitwall should have waited for hamilton to be like 4 or 5 seconds behind after the stop then pit seb or just mirror what bottas did. It was pretty obvious the softs were horrbile with ham and kimis pace

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    0.4mm should not change the tires behavior that much
    This is F1. Everything counts. And those 0.4mm could very well make all the difference.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    Kimi sleeping again during the race, from when I see he seemed to make no progression at all in what is supposed to be one of the best cars if not the best.
    He started 6th, found himself because of Ocon collision and resulted pitstop on 14th place or so and ended finally on podium.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

I cant believe that the last two races seb started on pole. Controlling the race superbly like his old red bull days opening a 3-4 second lead in the first few laps. And then we finish 8th and 4th. Lol can u believe it?

Quote Originally Posted by Otakukim View Post
    I cant believe that the last two races seb started on pole. Controlling the race superbly like his old red bull days opening a 3-4 second lead in the first few laps. And then we finish 8th and 4th. Lol can u believe it?
    That's safety car for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Deephouse View Post
    That's safety car for you.
    Hope Seb and Kimi used all the bad luck for this season. All I want guys its a boring 1-2 for Ferrari in Spain. It hurts what happened today, but there are still 425 points remaining, I am confident that the luck will equal out in this season, maybe we will have more it at the end of season, which is more important. Seb is 4 points behind, but without safety car in Australia he should be 24 points down, with the better luck though in last 2 races we could be at least 15 points ahead od Lewis. But at least we look the fastest car, looks like in terms of points the season is starting brand new in Barcelona, so the fifth race of the season it is looking like it is the first one. I will never stop believing in my team.

Forza Ferrari, Vettel, Kimi.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEK View Post
    LOL, and Max is so proud

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    This is F1. Everything counts. And those 0.4mm could very well make all the difference.
    How did it change things when they done the same change at races in 2011 and 2012? Oh yeah nobody noticed lol
    Forza Ferrari

it was a crazy race really. RB self-destructing, everything going hamilton's way, and Grosjean reminding us why he is an F1 legend.

To many ifs and buts exept it for what it was and lets move on dont worry mercedes know they got lucky.

Maurizio Arrivabene: “As we had already seen yesterday, today our car proved to be very competitive and capable of doing well on any kind of circuit. We were controlling the race with Sebastian, but the double intervention of the Safety Car cancelled the gap we had built up. As for Kimi, after the accident on Lap 1, he charged back to second place. All weekend long, the team reacted strongly and calmly and now we’re looking ahead to the next race in Spain.”

Kimi Raikkonen: “It was not the easiest or most enjoyable race. After the accident with Esteban on the first lap, I had to come in to change the nose and switch to Soft tires. I don’t know if my car was damaged, but overall the feeling was ok. The tires were not consistent, a bit on-and-off; I was struggling to keep them warm enough and had some difficult moments. Some laps they felt good and some others it was more tricky. After that, things went back to normal. I tried to stay out of trouble, pushing when it felt right to do so and do my own race. I was expecting something to happen sooner or later. It’s never too late; you need to be ready, because you never know what can happen until the race is finished. We are pretty confident for the future, because we have the speed, and this is the main thing. We just need to minimize all the mistakes and the issues to be up there all the time. Today obviously feels better than yesterday, it worked out pretty ok. I will happily take this second place, considering the tricky race we had.”

Sebastian Vettel: “We are not entirely happy, because we could have won. In fact, I am very upset about losing the position at the restart, because I didn’t want that to happen, but there are also so many positive aspects to take from this race. When the safety car pulled away, I saw a gap and I went for it, but obviously it didn’t work. So, now it’s easy for everyone to say that it was too big a risk, but I was driving at 330 kph on the straight, there was no reference on the left and I didn’t really have many options. Lewis was on the right, while Valtteri was ahead, but I couldn’t really go to the right. I also wanted to go for the inside, but once I locked up, it was tough luck. After that, with the flat spot, it was a shame that I had to give the position to Sergio. Apart from that, I think it was a very good race; we had a good pace and were in control. Anyway, this is how it goes sometimes. I had a chance to win and I tried. It just didn’t work. It was a quick decision, so there was a chance it wouldn’t be right. Now I think we need to look ahead because we had a strong car today. We’ll see what the other races will bring, but we need to stay hungry and keep working.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Here's my analysis:

Ferrari is the team to beat. I think that is indisputable at this stage of the game.

After today, the pit should be closed during safety car, unless a driver has a blowout or his wing is scraping the ground.

Ocon should have left more room for Kimi in the beginning.

Anyone still want Verstappen in a Ferrari? Leclerc is the one who drove like an ace! If anyone should replace Kimi, it should be Leclerc. Verstappen needs a race ban or two. I've had enough of his nonsense, even though it helped Kimi.

If Vettel pulled off that pass, it would have been the move of the season. That said, I think he should have been calculating and tried to pass Bottas with his superior motor on the straight.

Regardless, good points today and we lead the WCC. Can't remember the last time that happened...

Disappointed Since 2010

Its really a shame that Kimi didnt manage to get a lap together yesterday, of course we will never know what would it happen. But I think we would be 1-2 today, because we could protect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    How did it change things when they done the same change at races in 2011 and 2012? Oh yeah nobody noticed lol
    As far as I remember back then pirelli changed the spec of the entire tire

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    As far as I remember back then pirelli changed the spec of the entire tire
    No they took 0.4mm off the tread, just the same. Nobody cared
    Forza Ferrari

Ferrari's strategy is once again in doubt. Are we gonna lose this year because of security car ???? I want Leclerk to be in the future in the Ferrari.Forza Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    No they took 0.4mm off the tread, just the same. Nobody cared
    Really??? Didn't they change the rim alloy from steel to smg else

I think I am the only one on this forum who likes the track

Also, it seems that if you want to manage well in Azerbaijan, you have to keep calm and see what happens and not take any unnecessary risk. That is how to get a decent result. Another thing is that there was an worst unwritten rule wrongdoing incident in racing when Max break tested Daniel, totally unacceptable and should have a race ban for at least next race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Here's my analysis:

Ferrari is the team to beat. I think that is indisputable at this stage of the game.

After today, the pit should be closed during safety car, unless a driver has a blowout or his wing is scraping the ground.

Ocon should have left more room for Kimi in the beginning.

Anyone still want Verstappen in a Ferrari? Leclerc is the one who drove like an ace! If anyone should replace Kimi, it should be Leclerc. Verstappen needs a race ban or two. I've had enough of his nonsense, even though it helped Kimi.

If Vettel pulled off that pass, it would have been the move of the season. That said, I think he should have been calculating and tried to pass Bottas with his superior motor on the straight.

Regardless, good points today and we lead the WCC. Can't remember the last time that happened...

So I was browsing the F1 reddit website. One of the posts mentioned that according to Sky Italy, Liberty Media asked Charlie Whiting to use a Safety Car instead of a VSC because it would "improve the show".

If anyone had access to Sky Italy, can you confirm whether this is true or not before I get too off because if this is in fact true I can safely say that this race and the one in China had some tampering from Whiting to "improve the show". This would mean that Ferrari were robbed of two more race wins.

Regarding the Red Bull incident, I think a VSC would have sufficed because the two cars had already slid of the track. An even better decision would have been to stop the race and clean the entire track.

Hopefully this is all just a theory and Charlie Whiting has not succumbed to the demands of Liberty Media.

I like it too, mini monza with Walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

VSC does not work when trying to clear a track of debris as the car's are not all grouped together, and they needed to put cars down the pitlane so needs to be SC. Not quite sure why this sort of paranoia is rife on here...did we win in Aus cause Liberty told Charlie? LOL seriously.
    Forza Ferrari

I actually think it's a very exciting track...

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Also, it seems that if you want to manage well in Azerbaijan, you have to keep calm and see what happens and not take any unnecessary risk. That is how to get a decent result. Another thing is that there was an worst unwritten rule wrongdoing incident in racing when Max break tested Daniel, totally unacceptable and should have a race ban for at least next race.
    Excellent point about the track. I agree. Was that actually a brake check? It looked like he defended one more times than he should have and threw Ricciardo off.
    Last edited by Giallo 550; 29th April 2018 at 22:03.

Disappointed Since 2010

Leclerc needs to replace Seb as #1 driver, he's doing great! He will gladly take a #1 spot, no questions asked , and he looks like he's really adjusting to F1. 6th place !!! Pole used to be when Seb was unbeatable before Ferrari. Meanwhile "Sleeping is where it's at! " Kimi again on the podium!!! Wake up Kimi!! You came in 2nd!! Your on the podium, open your eyes!!! Please don't retire , Ferrari needs more WCCs !
    Dan seems to be just as overly aggressive as Max, perhaps more so , knowing Max and how he wants to win , he still took the shot fought him, rewarding his team and there hard work with DNF ! Put a match to Seb's contract , pay him off and get Leclerc in there with Kimi and maybe we can again see Ferrari with 2 drivers on the podium ! Pole used to be Seb's forte, before he go too old. The final race results are what counts, 2nd place on the podium for Ferrari really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Leclerc needs to replace Seb as #1 driver, he's doing great! He will gladly take a #1 spot, no questions asked , and he looks like he's really adjusting to F1. 6th place !!! Put a match to Seb's contract , pay him off and get Leclerc in there with Kimi and maybe we can again see Ferrari with 2 drivers on the podium!
    If the big man wants Kimi out, Leclerc would be a great replacement. He drives clean, is fast, and hasn't crashed his Sauber like Gio did. I am content with Kimi, and think he's probably good for one more season.

Disappointed Since 2010

So I was browsing the F1 reddit website. One of the posts mentioned that according to Sky Italy, Liberty Media asked Charlie Whiting to use a Safety Car instead of a VSC because it would "improve the show".

If anyone had access to Sky Italy, can you confirm whether this is true or not before I get too off because if this is in fact true I can safely say that this race and the one in China had some tampering from Whiting to "improve the show". This would mean that Ferrari were robbed of two more race wins.

Regarding the Red Bull incident, I think a VSC would have sufficed because the two cars had already slid of the track. An even better decision would have been to stop the race and clean the entire track.

Hopefully this is all just a theory and Charlie Whiting has not succumbed to the demands of Liberty Media.
    Safety car was needed today but i think the race should have been red flagged when grosjeans car was being taken