Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rory Byrne back full time for Ferrari?

Rory Byrne back full time for Ferrari?

From Autosport plus, just the free section as I don't subscribe:

Over the Mexican Grand Prix weekend, word reached Autosport via a senior Ferrari team insider that Rory Byrne is back at Maranello on a full-time basis and hard at work on the 2017 car.

not these rumours again....we hear them every time late in the year that Rory will be working on the next challenger and that the car will be super fast out of the box...blah, blah, blah....

just like the suposedly floor that Rory was working on teh 2012 car made of special materials....where did taht get us??? OK, because of the awesomeness ALO was pulling that year along with his consistancy, we ALMOST won the WDC...but as far as Rory being the saviour taht year....WAY far from it...

so unless we have some concrete news on a reliable site...until then is JUST that....rumours

Is there any chance someone could post full article there? It would be much appreciated!

Please.be.true.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    not these rumours again....we hear them every time late in the year that Rory will be working on the next challenger and that the car will be super fast out of the box...blah, blah, blah....

just like the suposedly floor that Rory was working on teh 2012 car made of special materials....where did taht get us??? OK, because of the awesomeness ALO was pulling that year along with his consistancy, we ALMOST won the WDC...but as far as Rory being the saviour taht year....WAY far from it...

so unless we have some concrete news on a reliable site...until then is JUST that....rumours
    Thank you for saying this! Just saved me for typing exactly the same!

Full Article:

Over the Mexican Grand Prix weekend, word reached Autosport via a senior Ferrari team insider that Rory Byrne is back at Maranello on a full-time basis and hard at work on the 2017 car.

It's fair to say that we became quite excited by this tidbit of knowledge. And then we thought, "Hang on a second - haven't we been here before?"

Byrne was one of the principal architects of Ferrari's unprecedented run of success between 1999 and 2007, a skilled and creative designer brought in by team principal Jean Todt, star driver Michael Schumacher and technical director Ross Brawn in 1996.

Although he has had an office in Maranello since he went into semi-retirement at the end of 2006, for a long time his involvement with Ferrari ran to no more than a third of the year and was chiefly confined to the road car division.

He became, to some extent, a totem.

At the turn of this decade he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, but after being declared free of it in 2012 - he attributes his clean bill of health to a radical detox therapy he underwent in his adopted home of Thailand - he has become increasingly involved with the team again, popping back up as a sort of engineer-without-portfolio. Quite how deeply he has been involved, though, remains quite obscure.

He has been called back in three times to consult on the design of Ferrari's F1 machinery, first in 2012 when the car was initially troublesome, then again in '13 and '15 under different senior management regimes.

In 2013, Ferrari described him as "an extra pair of hands and eyes, if you like", part of the team working on the new hybrid car for '14, but with no official job title.

Two changes of team principal and a new technical director later, he was back working on the 2015 car, albeit in the capacity of 'mentor' to chief designer Simone Resta.

In the interim, Ferrari had not only burned through figureheads such as Stefano Domenicali and Marco Mattiacci, but also seasoned engineers with a significant track record of success, including ex-McLaren man Pat Fry, designer Nikolas Tombazis and engine guru Luca Marmorini, all of whom paid the price for the failure of the 2014 car.

Since then, the team's vehicular offerings have continued to disappoint, resulting in further scalps - chiefly technical director James Allison, a highly rated aerodynamicist and manager who will not be out of work for long after his gardening leave elapses next year.

And herein lies the real problem, one that pulling Byrne back into the fold cannot address: Ferrari has slid back into its toxic old habit of infighting.

In an interview with this author for a future issue of F1 Racing magazine, Ross Brawn adumbrated many of the reasons for that fertile period of Ferrari dominance, along with the bad habits that had to be driven out to build a winning culture.

"[By 2001] There wasn't a fear of failure because we were afraid of our jobs, there was a fear of failure because we liked winning so much," he said. "Everyone was driving each other - there was no higher force saying 'you will succeed or you'll be in trouble'.

"What I was able to get rid of was the blame culture that existed when I arrived. That was the most damaging thing.

"I recall a meeting in the early days when we'd had a glitch, and Luca di Montezemolo was about to launch a witch hunt, and I said, 'We're not going to have a witch hunt. I'm responsible for everyone so if you want to blame anybody, blame me.' The [Italian] media was very prolific over there, and there was a tendency to want to hang someone out to dry if anything went wrong.

"Jean [Todt, then the team principal] was already that way and I think some of the senior management team had started to recognise that it was the right way to operate, to protect the people below you, because they could then do a much better job."

Brawn goes into further detail on the management's media obsession in his new book Total Competition, co-written with former Williams CEO Adam Parr. You would think, to read it, that the editor of La Gazzetta dello Sport and his ilk were dictating Ferrari policy:

"When I joined, there was a view that every senior manager should know what the papers were writing about the team. There was a folio of newspaper cuttings on your desk each day.

"It would be an inch thick, and if it was a race weekend, two inches thick, and if it was an especially controversial weekend, three inches thick. You wouldn't see much done in the first hour or two of the morning, because everyone would have their coffee and read the cuttings.

"I said this was ridiculous, it's crazy filling our people's heads with all the media, so I stopped it."

Judging by the way Ferrari assiduously courts the favour of the Italian media in 2016 while pretty much slamming the shutters on everyone else, trial-by-media is back in vogue once more. The amount of engineering blood on the carpet is damning evidence of the return of the blame culture.

You can understand, therefore, the urge for quick fixes to stave off the torrent of criticism. And what better quick fix than the rehiring of a designer with as illustrious a pedigree as Byrne's?

Except that this tactic didn't work before, and it's no guarantee of success in 2017 either.

It shouldn't be this way. Ferrari builds its chassis and engines under the same roof, more or less, so it has no excuses for not being as integrated in design terms as Mercedes, where delegates from the Mercedes-Benz High Performance Powertrains facility in Brixworth are fully embedded in the meetings to determine car layout and packaging.

"I saw this great opportunity of designing a car - not an engine, not a chassis, but a complete car - and that's what Ferrari's strength should have been," said Brawn of the situation that greeted him in 1996. "But that strength wasn't really being harnessed or utilised.

"Paulo Martinelli was running the engine shop and he was very receptive to the principle of 'one car', so we put the new chassis design office next to the engine office, and we often had people working in each department crossing over. Paulo and I shared quite a few disciplines so the metallurgy department, for instance, served both of us and we would loan each other staff as needed.

"It was a nicely integrated process that meant the chassis and engine were designed as one car. And they're still like that, one entity; Mattia Binotto was head of engines and now he's the technical director.

"So they're still one group but why it's not gelling at the moment, I'm not sure."

Lack of confidence could be one of those factors. Having hired Allison (no stranger to the Maranello environment, having spent five years there as a head of aerodynamics) from Lotus as technical director, Ferrari put his nose out of joint by trying to recruit Adrian Newey from Red Bull.

Allison finally walked when Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne took it upon himself to restructure the operational practices of the team, a clear vote of no-confidence in his technical director. Ferrari has become a team that desperately buys in talent but then handles it appallingly.

Since Allison's departure, Ferrari has announced a new chief aerodynamicist, David Sanchez, but has declined to comment on what has happened to the previous holder of that post, Dirk de Beer, a prominent Allison hire. To all intents and purposes, he has disappeared.

The overall impression is one of operational chaos and savage infighting that make the Machiavellian machinations portrayed in Wolf Hall seem tame.

Rumours are now circulating the F1 paddock that Ferrari has made a big-money offer - double-your-money, even - to Mercedes' Paddy Lowe, whose contract is believed to be coming to an end. But even if he did choose to leave Brackley for Maranello, he would have to serve a period of gardening leave and would not be able to report for work until nearly the start of the 2018 season - and, therefore, have no influence on the car until the '19 design cycle.

In the interim, there would be more desperate hirings and arbitrary firings, and - who knows? - possibly even the presence of Rory Byrne might lose its lustre.

As Brawn says in his book, "The programmes are too long to start hopping around with engineers. You need consistency."

Perhaps Ferrari should pay more attention to the wisdom of its former technical director. After all, it's already tried to hire him back - and he's said no.

I cant believe how we have gone full cycle, goin back 2 the way we were in the 80s. All Italian team, hardly any talent, nothing to look forward to, no real plan 4 the future, just making do day by day is our moto atm. Its really sad.
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    I cant believe how we have gone full cycle, goin back 2 the way we were in the 80s. All Italian team, hardly any talent, nothing to look forward to, no real plan 4 the future, just making do day by day is our moto atm. Its really sad.
    All Italian team, hardly any talent, it could get worse! Imagine Ricciardo comming to Ferrari! Another Italian! Disaster in the making!

Have they moved Perth on the map?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Very funny, Ed, but I get the impression that Ricciardo doesn't make a big thing of his Italian heritage, and after all he is born and bred Aussie. I would welcome him at Ferrari, though. As for Ferrari being too Italian, there is no reason why that should work against them, but it's been proved time and again that consistency and stability is what gets results, so the 'sack 'em all' antics of recent years will not work, and neither does Marchionne jumping up and down and making statements which undermine those people trying their best to do their job. The Italians are just as capable of being innovative and technically gifted as anyone else, it just needs someone very much like Brawn to guide them, no matter what nationality. I don't believe that Rory Byrne's current back-stage involvement, if indeed it exists, will make that much difference unless the new 2017 regs have already allowed his input to be felt.

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    How can you possibly know if there is talent or not? In order to have talent deliver, you need leadership, you need guidance and you need the aforementioned to enable you.
    While there is a climate that terrorize you, of course there are not going to be results.

So if you judge by the results, you need to look deeper.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

1) Rory Byrne: is this one of the "in house grown up" talents whereas Ferrari responsibilities told the media to focus on in terms of restructuring the team after Allison (was) quit?
    2) I guess if behind this rumor would be something serious a lot of more reports would show up as this would not be something that does not matter. I mean everytime when Brawn takes Ferrari in his mouth the media talks about a comeback. And I would assume the same for a man like Byrne coming back to Maranello would blow up a little bit of dust in the F1-related media. But maybe they prepare for winter sleep ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

LOL!
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Are we sure this isn't just the media making a big deal about nothing? What if all this restructuring was caused not by in-fighting but because the people were not getting results. People on this forum were calling for someone to get sacked every year that Ferrari didn't do well. The infamous Sack Domenicali thread? Well, Ferrari gave that group many years to try and figure out how to be competitve and they couldn't do it.. so a change was definitely needed. In 2015 they said they were on a 3 year program to get back to winning. The only change so far since then has been Allison leaving, and seeing as how his wife passed and his kids are left in Britain, I can understand his decision to leave. So not sure if this 'turmoil' is real or a good chance to make a story.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Very funny, Ed, but I get the impression that Ricciardo doesn't make a big thing of his Italian heritage, and after all he is born and bred Aussie. I would welcome him at Ferrari, though. As for Ferrari being too Italian, there is no reason why that should work against them, but it's been proved time and again that consistency and stability is what gets results, so the 'sack 'em all' antics of recent years will not work, and neither does Marchionne jumping up and down and making statements which undermine those people trying their best to do their job. The Italians are just as capable of being innovative and technically gifted as anyone else, it just needs someone very much like Brawn to guide them, no matter what nationality. I don't believe that Rory Byrne's current back-stage involvement, if indeed it exists, will make that much difference unless the new 2017 regs have already allowed his input to be felt.
    I too would welcome Ricciardo - maybe if he drove for an Italian team they would pronounce his name correctly: Ree-cheear-do. Also Sergio Perez probably gets his name pronounced properly only in Spain and Mexico (maybe Brazil too?): Sehr-hio Pe'-res (he isn't Italian/ French) ?

Great post! Parlato molto bene!

I too would welcome Riccardo any day of the week. With Italian parents he has a lot more Italian in his blood than our present drivers.
    Felipe with Italian grandparents (I think) fitted the bill and looked the part so I cannot see Riccardo selling us short.
    I would also be happy with Perez or Sainz in the future.....ok they are Spanish but then so was Alonso.
    I agree with Wisepie we need someone with the managerial skills of Ross Brawn to draw all departments within Ferrari together to help make a more cohesive unit.
    I do think Arrivabene has been great for the team but maybe he needs a strong character alongside him with a sound technical brain.
    I also think that Marchionne's desire for instant success has undermined the team and left certain key players feeling nervous.

Forza Jules

My opinion over matter of drivers is that it is not necessary to have top class drivers, but to have top class car. Best example of that is Brawn car in 2009. With two decent drivers, to be politically correct, that won both championships easy! So, my point is, build best possible car, and than every one can lead it to CWC and WDC hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Please.be.true.
    Meh, Rory has never left Ferrari, been on the payroll all along. Maybe he is putting in more time on this design, hopefully.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    I too would welcome Riccardo any day of the week. With Italian parents he has a lot more Italian in his blood than our present drivers.
    Felipe with Italian grandparents (I think) fitted the bill and looked the part so I cannot see Riccardo selling us short.
    I would also be happy with Perez or Sainz in the future.....ok they are Spanish but then so was Alonso.
    I agree with Wisepie we need someone with the managerial skills of Ross Brawn to draw all departments within Ferrari together to help make a more cohesive unit.
    I do think Arrivabene has been great for the team but maybe he needs a strong character alongside him with a sound technical brain.
    I also think that Marchionne's desire for instant success has undermined the team and left certain key players feeling nervous.
    I am being predantic, but racingbradley you have sinned by spelling Daniel Ricciardo's name in the same incorrect way as it's pronounced by most people!! Liscia and Brembo are on my wavelength in that regard!! And stefa is also on my wavelength, we need a decent car first and foremost and then most top class drivers would shine, even those who are not assumed to be the very best.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    My opinion over matter of drivers is that it is not necessary to have top class drivers, but to have top class car. Best example of that is Brawn car in 2009. With two decent drivers, to be politically correct, that won both championships easy! So, my point is, build best possible car, and than every one can lead it to CWC and WDC hopefully.
    They never won it that easy, which shows even with the best car you need top class drivers.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    They never won it that easy, which shows even with the best car you need top class drivers.
    If 2009 was not easy with average drivers I don't know which one was?!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    If 2009 was not easy with average drivers I don't know which one was?!
    Maybe you should go watch it again, Seb nearly won the title.....
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Maybe you should go watch it again, Seb nearly won the title.....
    I remember it quite well... Rather disappointing one for Ferrari although. Start of the season was very strong and EASY for Brawn, later on JB need just to finish races...
    Attachment 6802

[QUOTE=wisepie;924761]I am being predantic, but racingbradley you have sinned by spelling Daniel Ricciardo's name in the same incorrect way as it's pronounced by most people!! Liscia and Brembo are on my wavelength in that regard!!

Wisepie, R Bradley has not sinned! She is checking to see if we are paying attention!

[QUOTE=Brembo;924768]
    I am being predantic, but racingbradley you have sinned by spelling Daniel Ricciardo's name in the same incorrect way as it's pronounced by most people!! Liscia and Brembo are on my wavelength in that regard!!

Wisepie, R Bradley has not sinned! She is checking to see if we are paying attention!
    Very diplomatic of you, Brembo, racingbradley knows she's in the dog-house and only because I'm nit-picking.......she had possibly been wine-tasting at the time.

[QUOTE=wisepie;924772]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post

Very diplomatic of you, Brembo, racingbradley knows she's in the dog-house and only because I'm nit-picking.......she had possibly been wine-tasting at the time thumb
    Thank you Brembo and this time you got it right. I was testing because everyone was posting how Ricciardo's name should be spelt/pronounced, even spelling it phonetically..............Ree-cheear-do. Thank you Liscia
    Sorry but I couldn't help it but in fairness to Wisepie I'm not known for my spelling.

Forza Jules

[QUOTE=racingbradley;924773]

Thank you Brembo and this time you got it right. I was testing because everyone was posting how Ricciardo's name should be spelt/pronounced, even spelling it phonetically..............Ree-cheear-do. Thank you Liscia
    Sorry but I couldn't help it but in fairness to Wisepie I'm not known for my spelling.
    You got it! Anytime dude

[QUOTE=racingbradley;924773]

I remember once asking for you, RB, R U OK ? Spelling at it's .....

wisepie is obviously in the casa del cane for being pedantic....and racingbradley's spelling is usually top notch. Grovel.