Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Spa-Francorchamps GP Race thread

Max reminds me of Maldonado, never admits a mistake. I only hope atleast he learns from his mistakes even if he doesn't want to admit in public. Even Hamilton said that Kimi doesn't speak much but when he does it makes sense.

I also have to add this inconsistency of the stewards.
    Some drivers get nailed for almost nothing while
    others are walking all over the track while the
    stewards dont notice. 2 races now we've had max
    doing things that other drivers would get reprimanded for
    really brings this to question. Do we have the fia really telling the stewards
    what to call/not call?

Answer this: If Kimi pulled the moves that max has gotten away with,
    would Kimi have gotten the same treatment?

Yes really surprised Max was let off. They are setting bad example for young drivers like Ocon etc.

Kimi Raikkonen believes Max Verstappen will have a "massive accident sooner or later" if he doesn't change his behaviour in on track battles in Formula 1.

The Ferrari driver was furious with Verstappen for the way he defended on the Kemmel Straight in the Belgian Grand Prix, feeling the teenager moved too late to cover the inside line.

"The problem is when I came with DRS I am 15-20kph faster than him and once I turn he waits and waits and turns after me," said Raikkonen.

The speed difference is quite high so I have to brake and slow down to avoid him.

It's not what should happen at full speed, but for whatever reasons the stewards say it is OK.

If I would not have braked we would have had a massive accident and I'm sure it will happen sooner or later if this doesn't change.

It seems to be OK [because Verstappen was not penalised], so it's interesting to see once something happens who is to blame.

Maybe it needs an accident before things get more clear to everybody, but hopefully not because it can be bad for somebody and nobody wants to see something like that happen.

Fighting hard is fine but something like that should not be correct."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-massive-crash

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Answer this: If Kimi pulled the moves that max has gotten away with,
    would Kimi have gotten the same treatment?
    Max is the media darling has the verstappen hype and red bull media machine telling the world he is the best driver ever. Fans leaving in droves because of no up-front competition. He is the cure they believe, a way to get youg fans into the sport. He breaks some records for being the youngest. He is in a very prtected position as no one can punish the golden boy.

I think he is a big talent but don't see him as being any better than say Carlos Sainz just had the break at a top team which was probably driven by RB seeing dollar signs in their eyes at the kid's marketing potential especially with a brand that wants to identify with youth and risk taking. This filters down so even comentators talk him up talk down his mistakes. e.g. horner saying max was losing 1.5s a lap due to damage this was reapeated several times during and after the race. I doubt it was 1.5s per lap but notice the difference: kimi's car had worse damage but no one said his trouble getting past the haas and failing the first time was due to any damage no that was "kimi had the momentum but doesnt have the confidence"

I know he is a young lad and will make mistakes as he learns his craft but this protection has the potential to bite him in the future when a new star takes his golden boy status. If he doesnt have the mentality to drive within himself and not go for dumb gaps at the expense of others or even show respect for the lives of other drivers then no matter how fast he is he is not ready for F1 never mind a top team.

I believe the problem with Max is that he's exploiting a grey area.

The rules are very clear in stating that drivers can only make one move. 1st move is to force the overtaking driver into a less ideal line, but sometimes drivers make a 2nd move after the attacking driver has committed to a line, in order to block the attacking driver. It is this sudden blocking part that becomes a problem, hence the FIA had to rule that you can only make one defensive move.

Max knows this, and he only make one defensive move. Problem is, he is trying to use this as a sudden blocking move, like what we saw with Kimi. He waited until Kimi has commit to a line, then he use his defensive move to block Kimi.

This is a dangerous thing to do. But I think from a technical regulation standpoint, it's still a grey area as the rules define you can only change your line once, which is what Max is doing. It doesn't define how late you can make your 1 move, which is what Max is exploiting.

It's a dangerous grey area that needs to be address.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I believe the problem with Max is that he's exploiting a grey area.

The rules are very clear in stating that drivers can only make one move. 1st move is to force the overtaking driver into a less ideal line, but sometimes drivers make a 2nd move after the attacking driver has committed to a line, in order to block the attacking driver. It is this sudden blocking part that becomes a problem, hence the FIA had to rule that you can only make one defensive move.

Max knows this, and he only make one defensive move. Problem is, he is trying to use this as a sudden blocking move, like what we saw with Kimi. He waited until Kimi has commit to a line, then he use his defensive move to block Kimi.

This is a dangerous thing to do. But I think from a technical regulation standpoint, it's still a grey area as the rules define you can only change your line once, which is what Max is doing. It doesn't define how late you can make your 1 move, which is what Max is exploiting.

It's a dangerous grey area that needs to be address.
    Really nice analysis and IMO spot on. this is where respect for others comes in. Wonder if the current F1 drivers have seen full metal jacket? there is a scene in the first half that the drivers could emulate that could get the point across to max (soap in the towel scene).

I read he is now called Crashstappen.

Any reaction from Italian media or Arrivebene?

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I'll buy you a drink if you're ever in New York.
    HA HA cheers man

I don't think he is that intelligent to exploit grey areas of the rules but just a bully like his father. But a bully teenager eventually gets a very sore nose, figuratively speaking. Hopefully nobody dies or gets injured in the process.

So our child in F1 rather drives both Ferrari's of the track also my god this kid needs to go back to school...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Maurizio Arrivabene: ” It’s such a pity. Today we probably had the pace for finishing the Grand Prix with both drivers on the podium. Unfortunately, the accident at the first corner ruined our race. The positives we can take is that, despite extensive damage, our car proved fast and resilient throughout. And this bodes well for our home Grand Prix next week at Monza. Also, the team behaved strongly and was united both on track and back at Maranello. So, starting from tomorrow, we’ll start preparing the Italian Grand Prix.”

Belgian GP
    Maurizio Arrivabene

Quote Originally Posted by phsyklone View Post
    Maurizio Arrivabene: ” It’s such a pity. Today we probably had the pace for finishing the Grand Prix with both drivers on the podium. Unfortunately, the accident at the first corner ruined our race. The positives we can take is that, despite extensive damage, our car proved fast and resilient throughout. And this bodes well for our home Grand Prix next week at Monza. Also, the team behaved strongly and was united both on track and back at Maranello. So, starting from tomorrow, we’ll start preparing the Italian Grand Prix.”

Belgian GP
    Maurizio Arrivabene
    That's the spirit!

I believe they should change the engine penalty rules so that teams can not stock up engines one weekend with effectively a single start from the back penalty.

If FIA don't like cascaded penalties, the teams should give engines to FIA and not use it anymore the rest of the season. For instance a team gets 6th engine on Friday and gets its penalty. If either intentionally or due an accident forcing the team to install the 7th engine the same weekend then they should decommission the 6th engine for good. If they keep both engines then they should get additional penalty for 7th engine applied next week.

Engines are very important component in performance. Otherwise instead of 5 engines to budget for the season, I would rather Ferrari take 4 additional new engines (FP1, FP2, FP3, Q) at a suitable venue mid season and start from the back once. It sounds like a good deal.

Sebastian Vettel: “Today I had a brillant start. I was in second place and half a car ahead, so I could dictate the way. I could hardly see Kimi, he was in my blind spot, with Max even further right and out of sight. So I don’t think what Max was trying to do would have worked. Obviously he didn’t allow Kimi to move into the inside, and that prevented both of them from clearing Turn One in a normal way. We all three touched and collided, and this was bad news for Kimi and for me. Of course, with hindsight, I would have given more room to the inside, but you want to make the corner and try to race, and I gave room to Kimi, but not to three cars. Max had a bad start, he was falling behind. I think we have seen in the last couple of years that if you really dive down the very inside,the track is falling off and you basically go straight. The cars ahead have priority, and this is something he needs to understand. In that regard there was no way he could have made the corner without making contact. I don’t think that me and Kimi have to change what we are doing, we respect each other and it’s a pity when two cars of the same color collide.”

Hi
    Ferrari have problems every week this season not normal.Please ask question Ferrari use new spec of engine wich they use 3 token?
    thanks for replaying

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    I read he is now called Crashstappen.
    Excellent...Unless someone gets hurt...Which I really hope doesnt happen...
    Didnt he learn proper driving techniques from the lower formula's?
    Kimi is right..someone is going to get hurt..If you remember DeCesares, he was hard
    to pass, but he never that Ive seen did a sudden move like Crashtappen has been doing.
    Even Coulthard, ex rb driver and ex hard to pass racer criticized his moves!!
    This really does nothing for the image of F1 unless u r a moron and like this sort of thing.

If rb is encouraging this simply to beat Ferrari, they can get out of the sport.
    Whatsamatter Horner..this is making u look bad. Get control of your drivers.
    Thats what I thought crashem derby's were for.

For me the race ended in turn 1. You get 6 points or 1 point or no points its the same. Could've had at least a podium. That stupid kid and vettel ruined that for us. Really upset about Seb, he has the experience to not pull stunts like this on HIS TEAMMATE. If they were fighting for the WDC than maybe we could have understood this ego and recklesness, but when you are together in something, you should only pass when sure. As for Crashstappen, last on the grid next GP. That should have been the penalty for what he did in this race.
    He will cause an accident sooner or later

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    For me the race ended in turn 1. You get 6 points or 1 point or no points its the same. Could've had at least a podium. That stupid kid and vettel ruined that for us. Really upset about Seb, he has the experience to not pull stunts like this on HIS TEAMMATE. If they were fighting for the WDC than maybe we could have understood this ego and recklesness, but when you are together in something, you should only pass when sure. As for Crashstappen, last on the grid next GP. That should have been the penalty for what he did in this race.
    He will cause an accident sooner or later
    Vettel left plenty of room for one car on the inside, but not for two. As far as I know he is not obliged to do that.

Aggressive but fair racing is great, but late change of direction at 330+ kph is not.

Lauda said Verstappen (or Crashtappen) belongs in the psychiatry... and he is right.

I am really starting to hate Verstappen! Never liked him and his father but my feeling gets stronger every day! I (from the Netherlands) will be in Monza next sunday to support Ferrari and cheer them to great results! Forza Ferrari and Verstappen!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

[QUOTE=wisepie;921437]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    wow max's interview!!!! just said he delibertly went more aggressive towards ferrari because of the 1st corner incident.

I just want to say that max is very talented but damn his immaturity, in my opinion it is a 50:50 chance he will be WC or a murderer on track. and that is taking into account the increased saftey in mordern F1.[/QUOTE

If that sums up his mentality, then I worry for the other drivers around him. It's suicidal to move around like that at those speeds and the stewards should surely have penalised him for those direction changes in front of Kimi. I despair of the lack of continuity in F1 policing.
    I heard Verstappen on the dutch television! He literally said i rather push the Ferrari's of the track then let them pass me! Stupid moron he is!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

I don't blame vettel. As someone else stated, he has too leave room for one car. The one he can see and he did. If you watch the start, rodberg takes an even tighter line into turn 1 than vettel Max should have been patient and not tried his pointless.dive. he was off track and I think he was at fault. He was at getting passed and couldn't stand to be stuck behind. Stupid immature move that is very reminiscent of a young Grosjean and Maldonado.

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    I am really starting to hate Verstappen! Never liked him and his father but my feeling gets stronger every day! I (from the Netherlands) will be in Monza next sunday to support Ferrari and cheer them to great results! Forza Ferrari and Verstappen!
    I don't hate him, but I don't like him at all !!

I saw the turn1 accident from the grandstands opposite the pit-area and saw Max diving into 'no-space'.

Seeing Vettel coming to a halt in La Source and Raikkonen on the big screen falling back..Pff...race gone after a few seconds like Senna/Prost Japan '90

That really hurts..

But both Seb and Kimi have been fighting till the end and it felt very good Max didn't collect the last point to be gained. Thank you Felipe

Wish you a great race in the beautiful park overthere!! Forza Ferrari
    Last edited by wappad; 28th August 2016 at 22:46.

what is it about the Belgian GP and Ferrari? back in 2012, we had Crashjean , now it's Crash-happen