Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aldo Costa return to Ferrari??

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Yeah... hopefully we will not share the faith of... you know... Alfa Romeo.
    Funny how yesterday first reviews of new Alfa Romeo Giulia came and were pretty glowing. Best recieved Alfa in last 30 years...Evo gave it 5*

Analysis: No Ferrari switch for Costa, but Key could be a target!

Formula 1's rumour mill exploded this week when talk of a major management revamp at Ferrari spread like wildfire across social media.

It was fuelled by a report in Autosprint that suggested that the Maranello team could be set for a major reshuffle.

The story speculated that technical director James Allison could replace boss Maurizio Arrivabene later this year.

That change would open up a vacancy to lead the car design, with Mercedes chief designer Aldo Costa returning to Ferrari from Mercedes.

No move

But despite the story generating a fair bit of interest, the rumours have been quickly dispelled.

Costa has made it clear that he has no interest in leaving his chief designer role at Mercedes, especially having recently extended his contract to remain at the Brackley-based outfit.

It is understood he deal is for another two years with an option for a third season included.

Furthermore, sources have made it clear that Allison does not have aspirations at the moment to step away from a technical role.

Following the death of his wife earlier this year, he has been trying to spend as much time as possible with his children in Britain, while there is still much work to do in turning the SF16-H into a winner.

Until Ferrari has got its season back on track, it is hard to believe the team would want another overhaul in its racing department.

Also, change now would be especially risky with the radical 2017 rules overhaul on the horizon and teams already working flat out in preparing the cars.

To compromise that effort at such a crucial period would make no sense for Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne amid his ambitions for quick success.

The Newey factor

The only individual in F1 who could prompt thought of such radical change at Ferrari would be Adrian Newey.

But amid Red Bull's return to form, and the freedom he has been given in designing Aston Martin's hypercar, there seems little reason to him to make such a bold move.

What is more likely for Ferrari - assuming that Arrivabene remains in place - is a season where the team looks to bolster its technical strength rather than revamp it.

Going back to former key figures like Pat Fry and Nikolas Tombazis (both now at Manor) would be unthinkable, but Ferrari is understood to have one clear target.

Toro Rosso impresses

In Arrivabene's notebook there is a name that has been singled out as of potential interest: Toro Rosso technical director James Key.

The Englishman has grabbed attention with the STR11, a car with several interesting aerodynamic solutions.

It shows that under his leadership at the Bicester wind tunnel that his team uses, good ideas are flourishing.

Ferrari will well know how the performance level of the 2015 059/4 engine compares to its current power unit, so will be aware of what the real performance level of the current Toro Rosso car is.

And with those figures having likely already been scrutinised at Maranello, the team's talent scouts may likely soon be on the prowl.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PadGeT View Post
    Ummm...

What about John Elkann?
    Hmm, you got a point He is definitely a plausible strong opposition for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mirafiori View Post
    So can you give some reasons why you don't like our president. It would be nice to know why you dont like him.??
    Oh yes I can. As Redarmysonja so eloquently put it "he's a bean counter" I feel he's out to prove that the race team is not showing a profit, which is what he's all about. So get rid of them.
    What he needs to look up is that even the dream team of Jean Tott, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne and Michael did not bring a win for Ferrari in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 but they won in 2000 and continued to win until 2004.
    So Arrivabene is in his 2nd year with us.
    Maybe LDM was more of a Ferrari man than our current president.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Without a doubt.
    Forza Ferrari

Yap. Like you said. Marchionne is a "bean counter" FCA man.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Funny how yesterday first reviews of new Alfa Romeo Giulia came and were pretty glowing. Best recieved Alfa in last 30 years...Evo gave it 5*
    Of course it's the best Alfa in 30 years, when it's the only Alfa in 30 years. (hyperbole, but you know what I mean)

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Oh yes I can. As Redarmysonja so eloquently put it "he's a bean counter" I feel he's out to prove that the race team is not showing a profit, which is what he's all about. So get rid of them.
    What he needs to look up is that even the dream team of Jean Tott, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne and Michael did not bring a win for Ferrari in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 but they won in 2000 and continued to win until 2004.
    Brilliant, you don't like Sergio Marchionne and you can't even say why with any facts, to say because you FEEL he is doing something is only your opinion and to say LDM was more of a Ferrari man than our current president is a poor excuse based on your opinion. It's like me saying I'am a bigger Ferrari fan than you. Sergio Marchionne as you mentioned is a bean counter, well you tell that to the people of Italy where factories are reopening in the the South, Central and northern cities giving thousands of people hope and prosperity and not forgetting opening new factories around the world. Sergio has done and is still doing miracles at FIAT, with continuous growth in all markets around the world. Sergio reputation in the car industry is second to none. Remember without a strong Fiat we won't have a strong Ferrari.

Brilliant, you don't like Sergio Marchionne and you can't even say why with any facts, to say because you FEEL he is doing something is only your opinion and to say LDM was more of a Ferrari man than our current president is a poor excuse based on your opinion. .
    As far as I know none of us are experts and only post our opinion as we see it on this forum. Some will agree with us while others think what we said is prosperous. No doubt where your vote lies!!!!!!
    Agreed Sergio probably has done great things for Fiat and probably that's where his strength lies!!!! Perhaps he should delegate a little and let others take full charge of the race team. F1 team principals need time to develop their team instead of being treated like football managers.
    You may be a bigger Ferrari fan than I am, hard to judge and the best we can do is agree to differ!!!!!
    This I do know Marchionne has not impressed me so far and he will not rebuild the team by changing his managers everytime Ferrari fails to win!!!!!
    In conclusion I believe you and I have said it all and it might be best to say I have my opinion and I am sticking to it.....the man is an accountant and he wants to see Ferrari make a profit (it's rather like our government who need to see services like health and education show a profit)

Forza Jules

I would like to see Sergio do a few miracles @ Ferrari like get Seb a car that puts him on pole where he's famous for winning from pole. Remember without a strong Ferrari we have no championships ! So far Sergio's reputation in F1 is second to Merc and almost Red Bull and Williams. His solution to get rid of Arrivabene will get us right on pole!

As far as I know none of us are experts and only post our opinion as we see it on this forum. Some will agree with us while others think what we said is prosperous. No doubt where your vote lies!!!!!!
    Agreed Sergio probably has done great things for Fiat and probably that's where his strength lies!!!! Perhaps he should delegate a little and let others take full charge of the race team. F1 team principals need time to develop their team instead of being treated like football managers.
    You may be a bigger Ferrari fan than I am, hard to judge and the best we can do is agree to differ!!!!!
    This I do know Marchionne has not impressed me so far and he will not rebuild the team by changing his managers everytime Ferrari fails to win!!!!!
    In conclusion I believe you and I have said it all and it might be best to say I have my opinion and I am sticking to it.....the man is an accountant and he wants to see Ferrari make a profit (it's rather like our government who need to see services like health and education show a profit)
    Yes I do like Sergio simply because what he is doing with the Fiat group and when LDM went from his position I was upset like many others but I could see Ferrari was loosing its way and change was probably needed. We now have Sergio at the helm and believe me he is a winner and he did say three years before Ferrari return to the top and I thought that was a very fair time scale considering where we were when he took over. In the first year (2015) big improvement from 2014 and now this year we have had a difficult start to the season but we have all the ingredients to push Mercedes from now on to the end of the season. I will give Sergio a chance and let's see what happens for the remainder of this year and into the early part of next year to see if Sergio words come true. Since Sergio has been president of Ferrari he has only had one team principal Maurizio Arrivabene, the same drivers, the most important technical staff are the same with some new arrivals, the engine department has been overhauled but after 2014 that was always going to happen. So all your talk of giving people a chance that is exactly what is happening, maybe you should learn from your own words and give Sergio a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    I would like to see Sergio do a few miracles @ Ferrari like get Seb a car that puts him on pole where he's famous for winning from pole. Remember without a strong Ferrari we have no championships ! So far Sergio's reputation in F1 is second to Merc and almost Red Bull and Williams. His solution to get rid of Arrivabene will get us right on pole!
    You should kiss Sergio behind for saving the American car industry. Sergio stole Chrysler from you and that was a great day for Fiat and Ferrari.

Sergio is an intelligent guy. He might have an agenda with what he is doing that still is hidden.

I am only speculating of course but it seemed tough on the team to go out and demand wins from first race. Why did he do that? Maybe to set expectations and he able to change a position in the team if they do not meet expectations and he has found a suitable candidate that is much better than current one.

Maybe to put political pressure on Bernie and Fia.

I found it quite weird that Arrivabene went out and claimed that Ferrari is jyst 1 tenth off the pace. Why did he feel the need to do that? Earlier he has said Ferrari will do their talking on the track.

I think Arrivabene does an excellent job. I cannot see many alternatives that could be better for Ferrari but of course they do exist.

I wouldn't question what Marchionne has done for Fiat-Chrysler and I'm happy about that, Ferrari is now partly publicly owned but it should never be forgotten that Scuderia Ferrari (and what went before it) is the heartbeat of F1, not just a business opportunity. Arrivabene appears to have re-injected the team with some of the passion that we all feel as tifosi, and I understand the comments from racingbradley, mirafiori and Brembo completely, I'm sure we're all batting for the same team despite having slightly different perspectives!!

[QUOTE=mirafiori;912900]
    Since Sergio has been president of Ferrari he has only had one team principal Maurizio Arrivabene, the same drivers,

I looked at the title of this thread Aldo Costa returns to Ferrari. You and I have been off topic and I guess it has not gone unnoticed by the mods!!!!
    Anyhow I had decided to say no more. We are both entitled to our own opinion but maybe you were a little out on your dates.
    Sergio appeared on the scene after Monza 2014 when Alonso was one of our drivers and Marco Mattiacci was manager!!!!!
    I quote

Marco Mattiacci,
    Mattiacci showed political bravery - triggering the push for engine freeze relaxation that prompted a major battle over power unit regulations, and chasing a wider overhaul of F1, with testing and fan engagement on the agenda.
    But in the end, it was not enough for Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne.
    LETTER OFFERS INSIGHT
    Marchionne is known for decisiveness, and the call to drop Mattiacci for Maurizio Arrivabene was entirely his.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116930

No need for further comment.

Forza Jules

[QUOTE=racingbradley;912928]
    Since Sergio has been president of Ferrari he has only had one team principal Maurizio Arrivabene, the same drivers,

I looked at the title of this thread Aldo Costa returns to Ferrari. You and I have been off topic and I guess it has not gone unnoticed by the mods!!!!
    Anyhow I had decided to say no more. We are both entitled to our own opinion but maybe you were a little out on your dates.
    Sergio appeared on the scene after Monza 2014 when Alonso was one of our drivers and Marco Mattiacci was manager!!!!!
    I quote

Marco Mattiacci,
    Mattiacci showed political bravery - triggering the push for engine freeze relaxation that prompted a major battle over power unit regulations, and chasing a wider overhaul of F1, with testing and fan engagement on the agenda.
    But in the end, it was not enough for Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne.
    LETTER OFFERS INSIGHT
    Marchionne is known for decisiveness, and the call to drop Mattiacci for Maurizio Arrivabene was entirely his.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116930

No need for further comment.
    Autosport magazine is like reading the Beano, You know very well Alonso and Mattiacci were gone and Vettel was Ferrari bound way before Sergio took over from LDM and I repeat before disliking our president give him a chance and if he does not deliver in his current role then I will want him out the door to but for now I will support our team leader becacuse he deserves the time and the respect he surly deserves.

[QUOTE=mirafiori;912933]

give him a chance and if he does not deliver in his current role then I will want him out the door to but for now I will support our team leader becacuse he deserves the time and the respect he surly deserves.
    At last you speak some sense.
    That's all I want for Arrivabene
    As for the timeline I remember when LDM was ousted..............Sergio was in place straight away.`

My final words on the subject.

Forza Jules

You should kiss Sergio behind for saving the American car industry. Sergio stole Chrysler from you and that was a great day for Fiat and Ferrari.
    If you say so, I'll go along with you that Sergio is a crook, I wasn't aware he stole. I believe it's around 80% of the Ferraris sold are to USA customers right here . Ferrari was smart enough to use California as the name for one of their models. Lets see if Sergio can take a break from as you say stealing and save Ferrari's rep. @ F1 with a few wins. Forget about Chrysler, we have Ferrari here in the USA !

Sergio didn't save the American car industry. Ford has kicked the crap out of everyone else on the planet in sales of automobiles and didn't take any bail out money. As for it being a great day for FIAT (FCAU) do you own any stock? All of FIAT are under performing on the stock market, and I know because I own lots of FCAU and RACE. It was a great day for the Agnelli family, but for the rest of us, we are still waiting for the profit.
    President, Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver - The Official Passion
    http://www.scuderiaferrari.club
    denver@scuderiaferrari.club

Ferrari California was used long before any of these guys worked at Ferrari, it was created by Luigi Chinetti here in the states, Ferrari NART. Luigi also created the Spyder as Enzo refused to build a convertible...

1960 Ferrari California 250 LWB Spider Competizione,
    http://cdn.gmotors.co.uk/news/wp-con...ne-650x408.jpg

If you say so, I'll go along with you that Sergio is a crook, I wasn't aware he stole. I believe it's around 80% of the Ferraris sold are to USA customers right here . Ferrari was smart enough to use California as the name for one of their models. Lets see if Sergio can take a break from as you say stealing and save Ferrari's rep. @ F1 with a few wins. Forget about Chrysler, we have Ferrari here in the USA !

Quote Originally Posted by GrndLkNatv View Post
    Ferrari California was used long before any of these guys worked at Ferrari, it was created by Luigi Chinetti here in the states, Ferrari NART. Luigi also created the Spyder as Enzo refused to build a convertible...

1960 Ferrari California 250 LWB Spider Competizione,
    http://cdn.gmotors.co.uk/news/wp-con...ne-650x408.jpg
    Correct ! Like I said and everyone knows it was smart of Chinetti, "Ferrari " to name the California. FF to 2016, Sergio has to get Ferrari F1 to win races, forget about Chrysler, Fiat for now. Or quit, leave Arrivabene , bene @ Ferrari.

Sergio didn't save the American car industry. Ford has kicked the crap out of everyone else on the planet in sales of automobiles and didn't take any bail out money. As for it being a great day for FIAT (FCAU) do you own any stock? All of FIAT are under performing on the stock market, and I know because I own lots of FCAU and RACE. It was a great day for the Agnelli family, but for the rest of us, we are still waiting for the profit.

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

The Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver has many of the NART boys on our board or directors.. We are a living legacy of Mr. C.

Correct ! Like I said and everyone knows it was smart of Chinetti, "Ferrari " to name the California. FF to 2016, Sergio has to get Ferrari F1 to win races, forget about Chrysler, Fiat for now. Or quit, leave Arrivabene , bene @ Ferrari.

your response sounds like you give no credit to Fiat and with no effect to the American car industry and your effection for Ford shines through. FCA has had 6 years (72 months) of continue growth, every car segment has increased car sale no end. When Fiat took over in 2009 Chrysler was on its knees and its future was in the balance, Fiat came in and completely transformed the whole set up, from the tools to make cars, for example new robots were added for efficiency and reliability, by the way the robots used are made by Fiat (Comau) which of course you would know that anyway. Then Fiat had the task to upgrade all the the components within the cars, gas guzzling polluting engines, poor gear boxes, suspension systems and the list goes on. American cars are outdated and overrated hence why Fiat had to change so many components. Sergio saw the situation and the potential and he set about the transformation of Chrysler which is now a huge success story and is getting better every day. 77,000 workers now have a secure job and for me that is saving the American motor industry. My last words on your beloved Ford, When Fiat produced the new highly acclaimed Fiat 500 in 2007 it cost Fiat one billion pounds, Ford at this time wanted a modern chassis for a small car and with limited know how asked Fiat if they could buy the Fiat 500 chassis and Sergio was more than happy to do that for one billion pounds and of course Ford excepted and now you have the Ford KA thanks to Sergio and Fiat. I could go on and tell you where Fiat got the one billion pounds in the first place to produce the Fiat 500 but I don't want to upset any GM car enthusiasts.

Actually I have no affection for Ford and Chrysler is not the entire American car industry, in fact it is made up of all the has beens in the American car business and the reason FIAT has had to spend so much money to get them back to par. Yes, FIAT has done a bang up job, but FIAT did not save the American car industry, in fact if FCAU left the planet today, the other two of the big three along with Toyota and others would pick up the slack. You see if you look at the annual reports, FCAU only does 122.8B a year, where as GM does 152B a year and Ford does 149.6B a year in revenue which means that FCAU is responsible for less than 1/3 of the American automobile industry. Less than 1/3 of the industry did not save the American automobile industry, especially when you consider Toyota produces cars here in the United States and employs more US Citizens than the other three combined. Again, FIAT didn't save the American industry, not even close.. BTW, don't forget about GM and Ferrari having the technology swap agreement, where Ferrari got the magnetic ride shocks, etc.

your response sounds like you give no credit to Fiat and with no effect to the American car industry and your effection for Ford shines through. FCA has had 6 years (72 months) of continue growth, every car segment has increased car sale no end. When Fiat took over in 2009 Chrysler was on its knees and its future was in the balance, Fiat came in and completely transformed the whole set up, from the tools to make cars, for example new robots were added for efficiency and reliability, by the way the robots used are made by Fiat (Comau) which of course you would know that anyway. Then Fiat had the task to upgrade all the the components within the cars, gas guzzling polluting engines, poor gear boxes, suspension systems and the list goes on. American cars are outdated and overrated hence why Fiat had to change so many components. Sergio saw the situation and the potential and he set about the transformation of Chrysler which is now a huge success story and is getting better every day. 77,000 workers now have a secure job and for me that is saving the American motor industry. My last words on your beloved Ford, When Fiat produced the new highly acclaimed Fiat 500 in 2007 it cost Fiat one billion pounds, Ford at this time wanted a modern chassis for a small car and with limited know how asked Fiat if they could buy the Fiat 500 chassis and Sergio was more than happy to do that for one billion pounds and of course Ford excepted and now you have the Ford KA thanks to Sergio and Fiat. I could go on and tell you where Fiat got the one billion pounds in the first place to produce the Fiat 500 but I don't want to upset any GM car enthusiasts.
    Last edited by GrndLkNatv; 17th May 2016 at 17:41.

The magnetic shocks is a brilliant product and Ferrari are lucky to have it. I will give you that one. I respect what you say.