Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bahrain GP news 2016

Bahrain GP news 2016

Kimi Raikkonen and Diego Ioverno talk us through the challenges of the desert track

Ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix, second round of the Formula One world championship, Scuderia Ferrari’s driver Kimi Raikkonen and Race Team Manager Diego Ioverno describe the main features of a track that’s quite unique. For Kimi, last year bring some bittersweet memories: “I enjoy Bahrain, obviously it’s good itself, not the most difficult corners but still hard to make a good lap there and obviously conditions can change a lot because of the wind, it’s hot at midday and cold enough in the evening, but it’s a good place. Maybe I could have won last year, but it’s pointless to start guessing things, we were second and that’s it. It was not too bad, but I guess it could have been better.”

Such a hard-braking circuit puts a premium on the brake-by-wire system: “In an ideal word when all works it’s fine although obviously sometimes you can have issues, but we have a good system so far- This circuit is quite hard for practice, so some cars might run into problems with their brakes, but it really depends how much you are willing to push on the brake cooling if you have issues or not.”

Now it’s Diego’s turn to give a technical outlook: “First time for Bahrain GP was in 2004. Since then the circuit has been a challenging environment for all the Formula1 team, including 15 corners and a long combination of straights, kinks and hairpins. The Bahrain circuit layout normally suits quite well to medium-to-low downforce car configuration. The circuit is very challenging also for Power Units and for brakes because of the heavy braking points. So, it is really important to look after the cooling of the car, as it is important also to give particular attention to the mechanical setup for the kerb driving”.
    Sand and darkness also make this venue quite unique: “The circuit of Bahrain is in the middle of the desert. The sand in the past was a fact and we have been experiencing sessions heavily affected by the sand. More than this, in the last few years, Bahrain race was in night time, while free practice session were in the day. This has given another variable to the race weekend format, forcing teams to face cooling level changing during the whole weekend. So, this is another factor that makes the Bahrain race really challenging”.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Alonso will not race in the Bahrain GP

Fernando Alonso will not be racing in the Bahrain Grand Prix after he was not cleared following medical checks on Thursday.

The Spaniard was involved in a massive accident in the early stages of the Australian Grand Prix after crashing into the back of the Haas of Esteban Gutierrez.

The McLaren crashed into the wall and was then sent into a series of rolls before stopping upside down.

Alonso's car was destroyed, but the Spanish driver was able to climb out of the car on his own and reported no injuries.

The two-time champion underwent tests in the Bahrain medical centre for 90 minutes before coming out.

The statement released by the FIA read: "Following an examination undertaken this morning at the Bahrain International Circuit Medical Centre, it has been decided that McLaren Honda F1 Team driver Fernando Alonso should not take part in this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix.

"Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decided on safety grounds that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds.

"A repeat chest scan has been requested before the Chinese Grand Prix and the results will be considered before allowing him to race there."

Last year, Alonso missed the first race of the season after an accident during testing at Barcelona.

After the announcement, McLaren immediately confirmed that reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne will be making his F1 debut in place of Alonso.

The reigning GP2 champion is currently taking part in a two-day Super Formula pre-season test at Japan's Okayama International Circuit.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/al...ain-gp-683160/

broken ribs?

Sad for Fernando, but a great opportunity for Vandoorne.

The guy just cant catch a break.Seems to be stuck with some horrible luck since leaving Ferrari.Just wish to see atleast a few sparks of his old self before he retires

Quote Originally Posted by fadyferrari View Post
    The guy just cant catch a break.Seems to be stuck with some horrible luck since leaving Ferrari.Just wish to see atleast a few sparks of his old self before he retires
    that won't happen anytime soon mate....not in a midfield car like Mclaren...until they resolve their power unit issue and give ALO a competitive car to race with the BIG BOYS, you won't see any "sparks" coming from him...sad but true

Collapsed lung and broken ribs

For Stoffel this is a nice chance! I'll cheer for him alone as he's a fellow country men but not for his team.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

THURSDAY 31 MARCH AT 09:35
    RAIKKONEN ENGINE SURVIVED MELBOURNE FIRE

Thursday 31 March at 09:35 : Mar.31 (GMM) More reports claim Kimi Raikkonen's power unit has survived his fiery exit from the Australian grand prix.

The Finn retired in the pitlane as a marshal shot fire extinguisher fluid into his flaming airbox, but Italy's Autosprint said Ferrari was always confident the actual engine would survive.

"If we had seen on the telemetry that it was a problem with the power unit," said team boss Maurizio Arrivabene, "we would have asked Kimi to immediately turn it off rather than have him return to the box."

Turun Sanomat, a Finnish newspaper reporting from the scene of this weekend's Bahrain grand prix, said the problem was traced to the turbo.

"Ferrari is pleased that an engine change is not necessary," it said, adding that Ferrari sources confirmed that the quick thinking of the fire marshal was instrumental to limiting damage to just the turbo.

Raikkonen finished second in last year's Bahrain race.

He said this week: "Maybe I could have won but it's pointless to start guessing things, we were second and that's it. It was not too bad, but I guess it could have been better."

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/artic...urne+fire.html

Why are they wearing the long sleeves and MA a jacket??
    Is it cold??
    In Bahrain???
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Bahrain has been one of Kimi's best circuits (seven podiums in ten races) so hopefully he'll get back on track here.

Speaking of Alonso, I just found out recently that he has Poland Syndrome - a birth defect which results in his having no pectoral muscle on the right side of his chest. It may be a contributing factor in his rib cage injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland...#Notable_cases

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Why are they wearing the long sleeves and MA a jacket??
    Is it cold??
    In Bahrain???
    There were rains and generally bad weather over there, yes. Tomorrow should also be overcast, but without rain and since saturday we should get the usual Bahrain temperatures :)

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    Bahrain has been one of Kimi's best circuits (seven podiums in ten races) so hopefully he'll get back on track here.

Speaking of Alonso, I just found out recently that he has Poland Syndrome - a birth defect which results in his having no pectoral muscle on the right side of his chest. It may be a contributing factor in his rib cage injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland...#Notable_cases
    no pectoral muscle? He wouldn't be able to move his arms in and out without pectoral muscles.
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerKing View Post
    no pectoral muscle? He wouldn't be able to move his arms in and out without pectoral muscles.
    I'd go with under developed pectorals

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    broken ribs?
    Probably, I was involved in an accident once at around 60-80kph (35-50mph) the airbag softened the impact for my head. But the seat belt did some damage to the right side of my chest. The pain lingered for 3 weeks I guess. Can't imagine the impact the side effects of an accident 4-5x faster than mine

Quote Originally Posted by TigerKing View Post
    It sounds crazy I know, but it's true. There are pics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Kapustina.html

Wow, I knew it seemed weird the way he lifted his right hand. I always thought it was part of his cool-guy swagger! Really interesting; i've never heard this syndrome before.
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

If we dont screw up on strategy, SV can win Bahrain. Or at least come 2nd.
    Kimi, i've stopped expecting anything from him. If he finishes in the top 5, we should be happy for the points.

As for Alonso- very sad he wont be able to race. Half the fun is gone for this GP. He seems to be jinxed with mclaren. Lets hope he recovers fully.
    Silently, like a shadow

Wow. Quite amazing. Never realised this was possible. But i would still go with under developed pects rather than no muscles at all.
    Makes his driving all the more amazing now.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    If we dont screw up on strategy, SV can win Bahrain. Or at least come 2nd.
    Kimi, i've stopped expecting anything from him. If he finishes in the top 5, we should be happy for the points.

As for Alonso- very sad he wont be able to race. Half the fun is gone for this GP. He seems to be jinxed with mclaren. Lets hope he recovers fully.
    Remember that last year Kimi did a MUCH better race at Bahrain than Seb.. Also keep in mind that in that race all focus was on Seb, so Kimi was held up a bit in the beginning and did'nt get to choose when to pit.
    I understand what your saying, but Kimi still has it, it's just a combination of bad luck and stupid mistakes..

Strategy will be very interesting. Will we be using the medium in the race? Will Mercs use medium in the race?

My main concern is qualy. Last race it all worked out for us, we were P3&P4 with only one lap in Q3. But if you look at Q3, everyone does one lap, the one who is last almost doesn't have a chance to improve. And if others don't react in time, they also. So everything depends on first Q3 lap. Which was OK for us in Australia, but there are so much thing that can go wrong. If we can start from second row there are possibilities, otherwise it will be difficult I think.
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Wow, the lengths some drivers will go to keep their body weight down!

Quote Originally Posted by mkable1370 View Post
    Wow, the lengths some drivers will go to keep their body weight down!
    Its not something he did.Its just a developmental anamoly

Gutierrez said,no problems with his car, and that Alonso made a mistake, that is it.

Oh dear.

Photoshop material .
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post

Oh dear indeed!!

Beautifull helmet !

I think he actually looks pretty OK, except the boat anchor & chain.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio