Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 328394041424344454647484950515253
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1590

Thread: 2016 F1 Pre-Season Testing

Analysis: Did an unnoticed Raikkonen lap reveal Ferrari's true pace?

By: Jonathan Noble, Formula 1 Editor
    12 hours ago

Was it an under-the-radar lap from Kimi Raikkonen during this week's Barcelona testing that prompted Mercedes to fear that Ferrari is very close? Jonathan Noble investigates.

Nico Rosberg surprised a few people at the end of Formula 1 testing with his claim that his Mercedes team did not know if it was behind or ahead of its Italian rival.

For the message speaking to teams up and down the pit lane – judging by the remarkable efficiency by which Mercedes had completed nearly 20 grands prix distances over the two weeks – was that the Silver Arrows were in a league of their own.

But while test two at Barcelona had begun surrounded by doubts about Ferrari's pace and reliability, by the end of it there emerged some cautious optimism from within the Maranello outfit itself about where things were at.

Sebastian Vettel is not a man to let excitement get the better of him, but even he reckoned that Ferrari was closer - it just did not know how much closer.

“Obviously we’ve tried to close the gap, it’s been quite big across the last year,” Vettel said as he rounded off testing.

“I think we’ve done a good job across the last season to get a little bit closer and now I think the new car gives us the chance to close the gap. How much? We need to be a bit more patient for a few weeks at least.”

Benchmarking times

Naturally, it is always hard to draw definitive conclusions from testing, because there are multiple factors that come in to play when best lap times are delivered.

On a base level, there are the tyre compounds and fuel loads, but nowadays there are also engine settings to contend with, allied with the fact Barcelona is invariably quicker in the mornings than it is in the afternoons when the wind picks up.

The only factor that we can know for sure is on what tyre compound each driver set his quickest time, which will then allow us to get a slightly clearer look at where things stand.

So to get a better judgement, let's aggregate the best times of the week to give us a theoretical time that each car could achieve.

Pirelli's estimates of the time difference between the compounds was that there was an average 0.65 seconds difference between the ultrasoft and the supersoft, a 0.5 seconds difference between the supersoft and the soft, and a 0.95 seconds difference between the soft and medium.

Pirelli was quite eager to point out that the challenging Barcelona track was not ideal for the ultrasoft and supersoft, so we will base our calculations around a theoretical or real soft compound time.

Using the fastest times of the test, we can then add 1.15 seconds to the ultrasoft times, and 0.5 seconds to the supersoft times to balance things out.

This then gives us a final top ten ranking of the week that stands like this:

Pos. Driver Team Time
    1 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m23.022s
    2 Felipe Massa Williams 1m23.193s
    3 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1m23.352s
    4 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m23.622s
    5 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m23.915s
    6 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso 1m24.284
    7 Valtteri Bottas Williams 1m24.379s
    8 Nico Hulkenberg Force India 1m24.401s
    9 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1m24.427s
    10 Max Verstappen Toro Rosso 1m24.532s

That would appear to show that while Ferrari and Williams have closed the gap to the front (pending fuel load variability, of course), but Mercedes still appears to have a decent edge.

The hidden lap

But finding answers in F1 is all about the details, and it is by digging a bit deeper into what the teams have done that throws up a fascinating insight in to the relative pace of Ferrari.

For, while Kimi Raikkonen's best ultra soft lap on Thursday will go down as the best lap overall of the week, it is the not the lap that shows us what Ferrari is fully capable of.

Just before he left the track on Thursday night, Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene was instead raving about another lap that Raikkonen had done that same day.

“Kimi got his best time with ultrasoft tyres [1m22.765s] but the lap that impressed me the most was one with the softs [1m23.009s],” Arrivabene told Motorsport.com.

“We know that when he used the softer compound [ultrasoft] he complained about the presence of a strong wind on the track, and probably did not use all the speed potential in the tyres.”

The message was clear. Raikkonen's best ultrasoft lap may have been good enough for the fastest time overall, but it wasn't actually anywhere near what Ferrari could have delivered.

So instead, if we compare Raikkonen's best soft lap effort with Rosberg's, we end up with the Finn edging out the Mercedes by 0.013 seconds.

Of course, endless variabilities (fuel loads, engine settings, test programme, track conditions) means that the pace change could put either car ahead by a margin, but it means there is definitely no guarantee Mercedes is in a complete class of its own either.

That Raikkonen lap may have prompted Rosberg's comments on Friday night; but equally Ferrari is not taking anything for granted.

“We have not seen all the resources of Mercedes,” added Arrivabene. “So it is still early to draw conclusions. We must always keep our feet on the ground and continue in our work programme.

"Having said that, we are happy with the feedback we have had from the track.”

There will be more number crunching over the next few days, but it will not be until Saturday afternoon in Melbourne – when everyone is on the same fuel, same tyres and same track – that we will know for definite whether it is game on for the 2016 F1 title battle or just another year of Mercedes dominance.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...ce-677597/?s=1
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

T2 TESTING AT MONTMELÒ – 4 MARCH 2016

T2 testing at Montmelò - 4 March 2016

Sebastian Vettel: “I am happy and I think that even with Kimi we have been successful so far. We were able to do quite a lot of laps, going through our program well, so I think it was a good test. We have to see if this car can be a winner, but I think that the first impression was good and everything we have built is positive. So, overall, I am happy with the feeling in the car. And we are happy with the step we have made. In terms of reliability, though, Mercedes seems to be very strong, irrespective of the issue they had today. I think “Halo” is ok, even if I believe that this system can be improved in terms of both aesthetic and visibility and I think we will see an evolution of it very soon. In principle, I think it doesn’t look very nice but if it can help saving lives, and if thanks to it at least the two drivers who died recently could still be here with us, then I think it can be the ugliest system, but nothing could justify not having it fitted. We try to close the gap to the cars in front, which has been quite big last year. I think we did a good job during the last season and now I think that the new car can close the gap even more, but we have to be patient a little bit longer, for a couple of weeks at least. In terms of show and sporting rules, I think that Formula1 is doing fine, I also think that it is important that the sport remains a sport so that the fastest driver comes up on top. This has been the DNA of Formula1 since ever.”

Circuit: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya – 4.655 km
    Driver: Sebastian Vettel
    Car: Ferrari SF16-H
    Weather: Air temperature 10/17°C, Track temperature 11/26°C. Sunny
    Laps/Km completed: 142/661
    Fastest time: 1.22.852
    Tyres used: Soft, Supersoft, Ultrasoft, Medium, Hard
    Programme: Set-up test, tyre test, race simulation
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
    I believe they are not allowed to copy the chassis or take parts. Besides, different engines (sorry Power Units) means different solutions.
    However I do believe they share much data, meaning they (TR) work with RB ideas, having to adapt them. It will be interresting to see how they fare. Sad they have last years engines, else we would be able to have a better picture of where Ferrari stands compare to Renault Power Unit wise. But that doesn't matter anyway. RB (and Renault) are not in the picture. We would need to compare with Mercedes...
    Hey thx 4 the comeback.. I am very interested to see what TR does w/the Ferrari unit..Theyve already gone better than RB, so although they r using last years Ferrari power, that power did win 3 GP's lets not forget.
    I was asking about the chassis simply because I am interested to see how the chassis would be doing if Ferrari did decide to supply RB. I do remember now that u mention about the chassis sharing though. I am hoping that Sauber has a much better year than last 4 sure.

Since we are postig pictures...Here is a pair from our drivers.

Last edited by darkchild; 6th March 2016 at 01:50.

All this talk means nothing imo. The fastest car will be revealed on Saturday afternoon in Melbourne. The best driver on Sunday
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I think that might be one of the first things Hamilton said that I like.
    Drivers didn't like the HANS device or helmets for that matter when they were first introduced, now they'd be looked at as mad if they crusaded against using them.
    I remember I disliked when the driver's position changed so much until just the top of their head was visible. It took me a long time to be OK with it! I think back now & feel I was just being rather selfish, worrying more about what I thought was visually appealing & not considering driver safety much.
    Now my logic is if it is safer, at least give it a go to see if it helps, I'll get used to it!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

In the meantime, let's all remain calm while waiting.
    Forza Ferrari

Usual fantastic images, grazie tifosi!

Just two more weeks!!!!!!!!!!

Vettel had interview with Rai yesterday
    http://www.circusf1.com/2016/03/vett...a-volevamo.php

Sergio Marchionne, the Ferrari president, wants to start the season on a high: you have to win right away. Sebastian also focused on this: "There is still much to do, but the base is very good. We've made ​​quite a leap forward . More roses in my expectations start at least a podium in Melbourne, maybe on the top step. Initially, however, we want to keep our feet on the ground, go step by step. We know what is the ultimate goal we have set, we want to become world champions. But the road is long and hard. "
    After a year of acclimatization Sebastian certainly has a better relationship with the whole team, as he himself confirms: "After a year we know well, in depth. The initial nervousness there and there is perfect harmony with the mechanics on procedures and troubleshooting. In 2015 we were further back, there was confusion and Eve had no idea of our position. Today we know we have a great package, competitive and ready for a profitable development. We are in the starting position we wanted . "
    What is important, though, are the feelings that a driver in the car: he was in fact driving the car. If the rider has a good feeling and a good feeling, the car will go stronger and the four-time world champion has wanted to linger this aspect: " The car is faster, has more cargo and more grip. It drives well and it is easy to handle. It has more quality in all areas, from the engine to aerodynamics, the front suspension to the chassis. The reactions to the change of set-up is immediate and sincere, and the direction of development is clear and promising. The first impressions were good from the start. The car will be competitive both in qualifying and in the race . "
    Sebastian is also a very precise person and willing to get involved to help the team is known, now, his devotion and dedication to Ferrari and does not miss the occasion to the track to help the team, writing in his notebook the sensations and the feeling with the car. A factor not to be missed, because it may be important for engineers in the development of the car, as he himself says: "During all of last year I took notes and I communicated his impressions to the engineers behind the wheel, what was wrong or that you he could improve. they listened to me.

Vettel and Rosberg dragrace down the straight and both using DRS!!

By the way. Did SV gave a name to SF16-H?

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I was just going to ask the same exact question!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by cokata View Post
    Vettel had interview with Rai yesterday We are in the starting position we wanted .
    Kimi did say that too. What does that mean? They want to be ahead Mercs, that is for sure, are they both saying that they are ahead Mercs?

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Kimi did say that too. What does that mean? They want to be ahead Mercs, that is for sure, are they both saying that they are ahead Mercs?
    you would have to ask them to get the real answer but i belief they both mean they are in a good position and hopefully ahead of Mercedes.
    Life might be hard, Concrete is a lot harder

If hope it will be Vicky, from Victoria-victory!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    If hope it will be Vicky, from Victoria-victory!!
    Good one

Can someone please explain this to me:

Merc didn't use SS and US.
    I get it that these tyres aren't good at Barcelona, so there's no point in it. But on the other hand, now they haven't driven on these 2 tyres so they will have to wait till they are available.
    For instance: the US will be available in Canada, they haven't driven them so they need to do it in practice to test, so they need more sets of US for that race.
    What's the point?
    Or perhaps they don't plan onusing them?
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Vettel and Rosberg dragrace down the straight and both using DRS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoVTceoJ-4Q
    What is Red Bull doing trying to overtake us? Faster tyre maybe?

I'm likng the optimism from Vettel, makes me feel more confident

http://planetf1.com/news/vettel-very...tep-weve-made/

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    What is Red Bull doing trying to overtake us? Faster tyre maybe?
    Different fuel loads

Seb has said he will talk with the mechanics this week about the name of the new challenger.
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Vettel with his mechanics gives the name of his car at a restaurant in Melbourne on Thursday or Friday before the race weekend. It's a tradition.
    I think there is a certain restaurant, but I'm not sure which.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    i would say they are saying that the goals they inteded from the off season is accomplished. The car is hitting the speeds/times they were planning.
    Now its just a matter of how much the Merc gained. If they gained more that Ferrari planned for then we are behind. If they did not then we are ahead.
    we're number one

All aboard the hype train.
    IhAtuPU.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cokata View Post
    All aboard the hype train.
    IhAtuPU.jpg
    Hope this whould be SF16-H's nick name from the way it takes the corners!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DIEK View Post
    Who is that Ferrari crew member at 0:24 sec mark, he looks like the prototypical movie "bad guy"
    Forza Ferrari !