Thread: F1 teams set for fresh talks to break 2017 rules deadlock

F1 teams set for fresh talks to break 2017 rules deadlock

Formula 1 teams are set for fresh talks on Tuesday over new rules being planned for 2017, in a bid to break a deadlock over car changes.

Pirelli had already arranged an informal meeting for tomorrow in Milan at which it plans to talk with Bernie Ecclestone, Jean Todt, drivers and teams over future tyre philosophies.

However, the meeting has taken on a new significance with efforts to frame 2017 car changes – aimed at making cars up to five-seconds per lap quicker – having stalled.

Sources have also suggested that during the day, the six team bosses who comprise the Strategy Group could hold informal discussions with Todt and Ecclestone, in what could be seen as an impromptu meeting of the Strategy Group.

No consensus

After teams had backed away in December from the original idea of a five-second speed increase, amid concern that F1's tyres could not cope with that leap, there is no consensus on where changes should now come.

In particular, there remain philosophical differences about the approach needed, especially with regard to the levels of downforce that should be increased.

A Technical Regulations Meeting at Heathrow on Friday had failed to make much headway in agreeing a plan to deliver faster cars for 2017, amid dispute among key players about what direction the regulations should be heading in.

With a March 1 deadline looming after which only unanimous support will allow the 2017 rules to come into force, there is now mounting pressure on the sport's chief not to let the idea to improve F1 fall completely away.

Sources have revealed that Ecclestone has now decided to make the most of a team gathering in Milan with tyre supplier Pirelli to try to push things forward.

He has asked team principals – including Strategy Group members – to be present so that the meeting can try to push on with nailing down the 2017 rules.

It is hoped that some common ground can be reached, which will then allow a formal Strategy Group meeting on February 23 to rubber-stamp proposals.

Tyre focus

The crux of the problem is that the push for high downforce and faster laptimes has effectively hit a stumbling block, with Pirelli confirming that tyres would have to run at such high pressures to cope, that the resulted low grip would in effect cancel out downforce gains.

The challenge for Pirelli is made more complicated by the fact that it faces restrictions on testing and cannot run on track with a package that properly simulates 2017 downforce levels.

One F1 insider told Motorsport.com: "Pirelli have effectively derailed the Strategy Group mandate by saying that they can't provide tyres that can take the extra downforce required to go five seconds a lap quicker.

"Plus, even if they could, we have no way of testing them on track as the only way to test them is with a high downforce 2017 car. So we have a stalemate situation which needs new input from the Strategy Group."

Pirelli said last week that it was looking forward to the Milan meeting, because it welcomed input from teams and drivers about exactly what tyres they wanted for 2017.

The company said in a statement: "The meeting will be to discuss target tyre performance guidelines in the light of the 2017 regulations.

"Pirelli sees this meeting as being of vital importance in order to further consolidate the close collaboration that got under way last year with the FIA, FOM, and the drivers.

"Of the more than 250 championships in which Pirelli takes part worldwide, Formula 1 is the biggest challenge. In 2017 the technical aspects will become even more complex, so Pirelli is even more convinced of the need to carry out more on-track testing."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...adlock-670936/
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I think I should go into the meeting instead of Bernie and tell my ideas (ground effect df, more standardization of parts like gear box). Also to get rid of Pirelli. I'm sure they're completely incapable of thinking about either ideas
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

I read where enclosed cockpit for 2017 getting serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    I read where enclosed cockpit for 2017 getting serious consideration.
    If it is, it will be that horrible "halo" that, Merc came up with. Thats what the FIA like, apparently. All this talk of enclosed cockpits in F1 to make "safer, what about all the formale? GP2 GP3, or is it F3 now? go-karts? Formula Nippon, etc etc so many open wheel/cockpit series.

F1'S BIG NAMES ATTEND KEY MILAN MEETING

Wednesday 3 February at 08:35 : Feb.3 (GMM) A landmark meeting starring the biggest names in formula one took place in Milan on Tuesday.

Pirelli had sent out the invitation to the sport's leading authorities and figures and also disgruntled F1 drivers, who want key changes to the tyre characteristics for 2017.

F1's official tyre supplier, in turn, is pushing for the drivers' support in ramping up track testing this year, arguing that better tyres will require extensive running on the limit.

"That's what they have asked for," Bernie Ecclestone confirmed to the BBC a few days ago, "a top team with top drivers, not a team that can't push to the limit and certainly not a driver who can't."

Sky Italia reports that at the Milan meeting, the main news to emerge afterwards is that the sport's stakeholders did indeed agree to Pirelli's request for more testing.

It is a clear step forward for F1 as it eyes major regulations changes for 2017, even if the plan for radically-faster cars hit a roadblock at an earlier Heathrow meeting.

Amid a now-looming end of February deadline for the 2017 rules, and the lack of clear progress in London, F1 took the opportunity to ramp up the importance of Tuesday's Milan meeting.

Bernie Ecclestone, Jean Todt, Sergio Marchionne and many other leading F1 chiefs were there, Sky Italia reported, along with driver representatives including Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen.

Also there were Nico Rosberg, Daniel Ricciardo, Felipe Massa and Daniil Kvyat, Sky Italia added.

"The important news," the Italian report revealed, "is that Ecclestone supported Pirelli's request to schedule testing, and within a month there must be an agreement on the new (2017) rules."

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/artic...n+meeting.html

I'm way too confused of all the 2016 regulations etc. but IMHO everything is way too complicated and frankly too artificial. I feel one needs a university degree to understand even the tyre regulations when it could be quite simple ie. choose to compound from available ones and race.

I hope they find the direction F1 needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    I'm way too confused of all the 2016 regulations etc. but IMHO everything is way too complicated and frankly too artificial. I feel one needs a university degree to understand even the tyre regulations when it could be quite simple ie. choose to compound from available ones and race.

I hope they find the direction F1 needs.
    Agree 100% Ed, these constant rules and regs changes and tyre issues are doing my head in, it's supposed to be motor-racing not strategy-based bingo.

Well, nothing too much seems to have happened, but they have decided to scrap the token system altogether for 2017. I like that!

Two encouraging statements on the tyre 'dilemma' -

- "One positive aspect that does appear to have come out of the Pirelli meeting though was a greater appreciation of the need of F1's tyre supplier for testing."

- "F1's drivers were also believed to have been quite eager for Pirelli's tyres to edge away from high degradation in the future and better able to cope with being pushed."
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

"F1's drivers were also believed to have been quite eager for Pirelli's tyres to edge away from high degradation in the future and better able to cope with being pushed."

This..

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...ter-tires-2017

Halos are coming. As are faster tyres!

Of course the teams would love the idea of the halo. It would provide more aerodynamic downforce. If they make it look good, i think it could work. My only concern is how lightweight it will be so that the driver can remove it within 7 seconds along with the steering wheel and the HANS.
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.