Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: US GP "Finacially devastating" for Organiser

Quote Originally Posted by TigerKing View Post
    Percentage-wise, 200,000 people in a country of 300,000,000+ is not saying much when Italy can gather 100,000 people in a country of about 60,000,000.
    It's the same case with India and China.
    Isn't Ferrari an Italian grown team? We need a Chevy engine in F1 for US to pay more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Isn't Ferrari an Italian grown team? We need a Chevy engine in F1 for US to pay more attention.
    Yeah, but an USA chassis is a great start. Maybe Ford as an engine parner will be interested in the near future?
    Last edited by Stormy; 9th November 2015 at 23:54.

Si! Parliamo Italiano. E tu?
    And Brembo, i did say "in general!" Since we watch F1 in the US i dont see us being the "general Americans!"
    Si, io parle Italiano e poco!
    President, Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver - The Official Passion
    http://www.scuderiaferrari.club
    denver@scuderiaferrari.club

Sounds rather dire in Texas!
    Funding dispute could end US GP

With resources apparently cut for the US GP at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, the race looks destined to leave the Formula 1 calendar

by GMM, 12/11/2015, 14:00

A dark cloud has moved above the future of the US grand prix in Austin.
    The local Austin American Statesman newspaper reports that the office of the current governor of Texas has dramatically slashed funding to the race from $25 million a year to less than $20m.

Speaking from Brazil, the scene of this weekend’s grand prix, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone confirmed: “If it’s changed, it’s going to be difficult to continue the race in Austin.”

And promoter Bobby Epstein agreed: “To use a technical term, I think we’re screwed.”
    A spokesman for the Circuit of the Americas, meanwhile, hinted that a legal challenge to the governor’s decision cannot be ruled out.

“An entire facility was constructed based on that deal,” he said. “If the calculation is changed now, that’s effectively changed the terms of the deal.”

GMM

Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    Sounds rather dire in Texas!
    not good, bye bye US GP, hello Qatar GP,
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I guess Mexico killed Austin's chances for survival. Hopefully the new USA team doesn't disappear along with Austin. Bernie my well be eyeing Cuba for the next F1 country.

Loosing a US GP again, the teams won't be happy. For manufacturers like MB and even Ferrari, its their biggest market.

I guess Mexico killed Austin's chances for survival. Hopefully the new USA team doesn't disappear along with Austin. Bernie my well be eyeing Cuba for the next F1 country.
    Given all the politics/greed/power trips around COTA and the USGP, with the owners screwing over the track developer, trying to milk the fans and trying to give the fans little in return, well it was bound to happen... I enjoyed it, but Monza, Montreal, Spa, and many more were much better for the fans and for the teams..
    President, Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver - The Official Passion
    http://www.scuderiaferrari.club
    denver@scuderiaferrari.club

Quote Originally Posted by GrndLkNatv View Post
    Given all the politics/greed/power trips around COTA and the USGP, with the owners screwing over the track developer, trying to milk the fans and trying to give the fans little in return, well it was bound to happen... I enjoyed it, but Monza, Montreal, Spa, and many more were much better for the fans and for the teams..
    Lets hope the new management will do its job better. I think F1 is still in Austin next year, they have a chance to fix things.

Maybe they should move it to Road Atlanta
    I know I'd go!
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

Maybe they should move it to Road Atlanta
    I know I'd go!
    Or Road America. Or the Glen.

Or back to Indianapolis.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

I have an idea. Since races don't last very long before locals get bored, why can't the U.S change locations every 5-6 years? Indianapolis, COTA, a modernized Road America, Port Imperial and then cycle back? That way there is a new crowd (Midwest, Southwestern, Northern and Northeast) that will refresh the experience. Seems expensive but other racing series can take full advantage too (ALMS/Tudor, WEC, Indycar, Formula Ford). I'm tired of Tilke projects and I can't believe the US will be a Tilkeproject like Turkey or Korea!

Back to Indy!

I've been a long time supporter of Indy being the prime circuit for the US GP. But I'll also say I don't have any objection to having 2 races in the USA. Indy and a rotation (as TigerKing suggested) might be a good idea.

I have to say I quite liked Hungary as a circuit, T8 there was one of my favorite corners of all tracks. The last race (well I think it was the last race there) was a bit of joke in terms of tires and DRS making a mockery of having to actually have race skills to pass competitors.

I think Tavo Hellmund, the guy that is reported to have drawn up the COTA track layout on a napkin & is credited with COTA, the Mexican GP revival & I think was/is involved in trying to get the NJ deal off the ground, is now working on a deal to get a venue in California.

This is the same guy who is currently attempting to put a deal together to buy Manor/Marussia!

Doesn't hurt that his dad, Gustavo, was a close friend of Bernie.

I could actually see him replacing Bernie, the guy is a multi-tasker deal maker on a grand scale
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

I remember at one point when Bernie cancelld the track contract, Tavo had to file a law suit against fellow investors and lost only to be squeezes out of the deal. So much for the 40 year relationship his father had with Bernie. I hope he can come back strong and theres hope for him and the US F1.

I remember at one point when Bernie cancelld the track contract, Tavo had to file a law suit against fellow investors and lost only to be squeezes out of the deal. So much for the 40 year relationship his father had with Bernie. I hope he can come back strong and theres hope for him and the US F1.
    I think Tavo was already out of the COTA group, he settled for an $18M payment, hard to say he 'lost' the way it's looking for COTA now! And that new deal that Bernie made with the remaining track investors does not have a lot of the "preferential treatment" clauses that the original one with Tavo had! The one that looms large right now is a "no competition clause" which would have protected COTA from other F1 races like the MexGP from being held.
    Funny that Tavo is the one responsible for getting Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez back on the calendar & somehow it gets slotted in one week after the USGP!
    Forza Ferrari !

I didn't think it was a good idea putting it in Texas in the first place, especially with a NASCAR race on the same day each year in the same state. Somewhere in the Midwest or Atlantic area would have been ideal.
    Also, there was no need to spend $100 million plus on a new race track when the US is graced with many beautiful and celebrated road courses. I think COTA shot itself in the foot when they constructed it. Indy, Road America and Road Atlanta (renovated) would have been better choices for the modern era.

Bernie had caused so much resentment with the George family who own Indy they probably want $100 million for a F1 race weekend. I agree with you Mexico & Brasil are not helping Texas or Nascar's schedule, but, " Any port in a storm !"

Future 'not looking good' for US Grand Prix F1 race at Austin

Circuit of the Americas chairman Bobby Epstein admits the Austin Formula 1 race's future "is not looking good" after a funding cut for the United States Grand Prix.

Since its GP debut in 2012, the Austin track has received $25million per year from the Texas state government based on the economic value of F1 to the region.

But following the arrival of a new governor earlier this year, the formula used to calculate the economic impact has changed and an audit of how the fund distributed was carried out.

As a result, the state feels F1 is worth 20 per cent less to Texas than previously believed and has therefore cut the funding to $19.5million.

This has hit COTA hard, especially considering falling attendances since 2012, an annual rise in the race-hosting fee and losses at this year's event because of bad weather.

Epstein told Autosport: "I'm concerned about the future.

"We did not know they would change how they calculated the funding. We just received a letter that they were going to do that.

"To cover the loss of funding, we have to sell another 30,000 tickets.

"But if we could have sold another 30,000 this year we would have. We didn't stop selling.

"So I don't think we're going to make our way out of it by selling more tickets.

"It's not looking good."

When asked what plans were currently in place to try and resolve the situation, Epstein said: "I'm not sure we have the answer right now.

"I have talked to Bernie [Ecclestone]. He has always been a very good business partner for us.

"I think he appreciates what we have created here, in trying to give F1 a suitable home in the US, and the fans are responding well and I want to see it continue."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121751
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I really can't understand why only Tilke design tracks in F1. Why can't there be a creative diversity from a bunch of designers. That way F1 will be more abstract. I'm not saying Tilke is a terrible designer, he made some really nice tracks. Like Austin, Malaysia etc. But we need to see some other creative input rather then Tilke, we need a new approach to some tracks. Why it has to be only Tilke. Where is the financial gain in all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I really can't understand why only Tilke design tracks in F1. Why can't there be a creative diversity from a bunch of designers. That way F1 will be more abstract. I'm not saying Tilke is a terrible designer, he made some really nice tracks. Like Austin, Malaysia etc. But we need to see some other creative input rather then Tilke, we need a new approach to some tracks. Why it has to be only Tilke. Where is the financial gain in all this?
    Tilke doesn't really have much business besides this and he and Bernie are friends. I really don't think they need to pay someone so much money for a race track. The best tracks are the ones that follow natural paths (New Spa, Silverstone (original through its evolution, Imola, Catalunya). People didn't sit on a desk and measure out the exact radius and length for a race track back then.
    Or we can save money and drive in Indy. There is a simple solution to all this!

Tilke doesn't really have much business besides this and he and Bernie are friends. I really don't think they need to pay someone so much money for a race track. The best tracks are the ones that follow natural paths (New Spa, Silverstone (original through its evolution, Imola, Catalunya). People didn't sit on a desk and measure out the exact radius and length for a race track back then.
    Or we can save money and drive in Indy. There is a simple solution to all this!
    Yes, there is a simple solution. Especially when it comes to tracks. So i really can't understand why do FOM make it that complex...

Well, I hope Epstein has more going on behind the scene than he's letting on! I thought there was some talk of a new track in California for a second US venue, may just turn out to be a replacement for COTA.
    Forza Ferrari !

I believe Bernie only wants to deal with oil rich nations where a F1 track and facilities, are mere pocket change going into his pocket. Whereas in the USA he has to deal with the likes of himself, folks trying to make a good deal for themselves also.

I believe Bernie only wants to deal with oil rich nations where a F1 track and facilities, are mere pocket change going into his pocket. Whereas in the USA he has to deal with the likes of himself, folks trying to make a good deal for themselves also.
    Yeah but will FOM do when the rich oil nations gets bored of F1 and doesn't want to use it as a PR tool for their country?

Actually the solution might just be that wily coot Bernie booked 1 race too many on purpose, as he probably knew at that time COTA was behind on ticket sales & Mexico IS the replacement!
    Forza Ferrari !