Thread: Esteban Gutierrez confirmed as HAAS 2nd driver

Esteban Gutierrez confirmed as HAAS 2nd driver

I was just watching a pre-race show where they were interviewing one the guys with the team and he said that the second driver would be one of Ferrari's two reserve drivers.

Disappointed Since 2010

we already knew that

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    we already knew that
    Guess I'm late to the party then.

Disappointed Since 2010

They are gonna announce in Mexico, so it should be Esteban Gutierrez
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    we already knew that
    Who's "we?" Thanks Giallo, I didn't hear about that. So much for me wishing for Danica Patrick!

Esteban for sure

Esteban Gutierrez has been confirmed as Haas' second driver for their debut F1 season in 2016.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/279...river-for-2016

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Esteban Gutierrez has been confirmed as Haas' second driver for their debut F1 season in 2016.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/279...river-for-2016
    I knew Haas would go with Carlos Slim as their 2nd driver! I can't say I blame them. Good luck to Esteban and Ferrari/ Haas. More to look foward to next season, esp. with Seb pushing Lewis and Merc out of 1st place !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    I knew Haas would go with Carlos Slim as their 2nd driver! I can't say I blame them. Good luck to Esteban and Ferrari/ Haas. More to look foward to next season, esp. with Seb pushing Lewis and Merc out of 1st place !!!!
    And by the way there are a lot of Mexican's in USA that will relate to Esteban. I can't say they have the perfect line up in Grosjean and Esteban but its the best they can do i suppose.

I wonder if Grosjean made a mistake moving to Haas in the hopes of then getting Kimi's seat when available? With Esteban now also at Haas, Carlos Slim might just buy Kimi's seat seeeing how both drivers are with Ferrari/ Haas. The diff. being a few Million $$$. And as you say a lot of Mexicans in the USA will go right to being Ferrari fans if they aren't already. Money=F1 , F1= money, it's undeniable, just ask Bernie E !

I'm afraid Grosjean didn't think about the money aspect. Grosjean obviously has Ferrari talent but for business minds, Guttierez is the best choice for Kimi's seat. Of course, there are other drivers that I hope would race in red other than Grosjean but I'm completely fine with having him there! Gutierrez? Not so much.
    I really hope Grosjean didn't make a huge mistake and left Renault (which btw, hasn't officially signed Lotus yet)
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

I wonder if Grosjean made a mistake moving to Haas in the hopes of then getting Kimi's seat when available? With Esteban now also at Haas, Carlos Slim might just buy Kimi's seat seeeing how both drivers are with Ferrari/ Haas. The diff. being a few Million $$$. And as you say a lot of Mexicans in the USA will go right to being Ferrari fans if they aren't already. Money=F1 , F1= money, it's undeniable, just ask Bernie E !
    Yeah but Ferrari is a giant. They don't need Carlos Slim, and they don't have any problems with attracting sponsors. I have full confidence that Ferrari will get the best possible driver, not the one that can bring the richest sponsor.

I just don't think of Grosjean as a great driver. He stopped wrecking cars as a hobby but really isn't IMO up there with Alonso, Lewis ,Seb, Kimi, even Ricciardo. Esteban is good for Ferrari and I personally don't believe any team is going to look the other way with regards to Carlo Slim's money coming to them. Especially the fact that Esteban is a good knowledgeable driver , not just someone with a heavy sponsor.

I think guttierez is good choice for kimi's seat. As we don't want to disturb the calmness in the team, also guttierez is the reserve driver for us. So interaction with him for vet would b easy. Although it may take time for guttierez to become championship material, at least hope that he can give consistent points n get behind vet every time when there's such opportunity.

Just now saw the articles about Max verstappen... Where Ferrari & mercs would be fighting to buy him it seems according to Martin brundle.
    About Max ver...too early to judge his performances. He's too aggressive, one wonder how many times did he damaged TR (late breaking, driver error). Maturity level is not enough, his thinking process he wants to make wonders n show that he's a star. Just think about Sergio Perez, everyone praised him n went to mclaren n we all know his performances.
    John Eric vergne was fantastic driver too for TR, but he was left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Yeah but Ferrari is a giant. They don't need Carlos Slim, and they don't have any problems with attracting sponsors. I have full confidence that Ferrari will get the best possible driver, not the one that can bring the richest sponsor.
    Ferrari F1 is as you say a giant. It's the sponsors that makes Ferrari or any team strong $$ wise. Alonso brought Santander to Ferrari, they even paid Kimi to stay home! I'm sure your right about Ferrari never selling their soul for a not ready or just not a good driver; but a driver like Esteban would really fit the seat on both ability , familiar with Ferrari's ways and happens to have a " decent " sponsor .

Ferrari F1 is as you say a giant. It's the sponsors that makes Ferrari or any team strong $$ wise. Alonso brought Santander to Ferrari, they even paid Kimi to stay home! I'm sure your right about Ferrari never selling their soul for a not ready or just not a good driver; but a driver like Esteban would really fit the seat on both ability , familiar with Ferrari's ways and happens to have a " decent " sponsor .
    Esteban proved that he is a bit above average, no doubt about that. But is he really a Ferrari material and a mega talent? Don't know. I wasn't very convinced he is when he was driving for Sauber. I guess he got enough time to prove himself at Haas. We shall see.

Esteban proved that he is a bit above average, no doubt about that. But is he really a Ferrari material and a mega talent? Don't know. I wasn't very convinced he is when he was driving for Sauber. I guess he got enough time to prove himself at Haas. We shall see.
    Stormy, we already have a mega talent @ Ferrari in Seb. If Esteban comes along he will fit right in that no longer reffered to as #2 seat. If Ferrari is so loaded with $$$ they can send Slims sponsor money to me.

Stormy, we already have a mega talent @ Ferrari in Seb. If Esteban comes along he will fit right in that no longer reffered to as #2 seat. If Ferrari is so loaded with $$$ they can send Slims sponsor money to me.
    Yeah when i think of it we don't really need a mega talent. We just need a consistent driver that can snatch points. You are right. We shall see if Esteban will fit well in Ferrari after his year in Haas though.

Yeah when i think of it we don't really need a mega talent. We just need a consistent driver that can snatch points. You are right. We shall see if Esteban will fit well in Ferrari after his year in Haas though.
    I personally think Esteban is an average driver.He didnt really show any kind of spark even once when he was with Sauber for 38 races.He being closest thing to American,having knowledge of the way Ferrari works and most importantly bringing along sponsorship from a huge market seems to have worked in his favor over JEV.Grosjean seems to have a better chance of taking kimi's seat.Ferrari doesnt really need the sponsorship when it comes to selecting drivers.Look at how much they are paying kimi !

Would have really liked to see JEV take that second seat.the guy might not be that fast in qualy but surely looked like a settled driver in the race

Quote Originally Posted by fadyferrari View Post
    I personally think Esteban is an average driver.He didnt really show any kind of spark even once when he was with Sauber for 38 races.He being closest thing to American,having knowledge of the way Ferrari works and most importantly bringing along sponsorship from a huge market seems to have worked in his favor over JEV.Grosjean seems to have a better chance of taking kimi's seat.Ferrari doesnt really need the sponsorship when it comes to selecting drivers.Look at how much they are paying kimi !

Would have really liked to see JEV take that second seat.the guy might not be that fast in qualy but surely looked like a settled driver in the race
    I agree. I prefer JEV a lot more then Esteban. JEV showed mad skills in Toro Rosso. A bit surprised he is not that mentioned as a possible Kimi replacement. Although i think Kimi may stay in 2017 also. Kimi is a huge part of the Ferrari family. Like it or not. I think he got a big role in giving feedback and stuff like that. Arrivabene likes him a lot. That gotta mean something.

Kimi is a good driver and a good teammate to Vettel. He is obviously not there to challenge for the WDC but there simply to help in WCC and support Vettel. Kimi has lost his ways and there is no doubt. Unfortunately i think he missed out on many WDC on his glory days.
    JEV could have been something. Esteben probably not. If any Mexican driver has passion and drive, it's Perez (who i don't care for too much). You guys know what i am going to say about Hulkenberg and Grosjean
    Esteban is just there to give Haas some financial boost if anything. He's very average and personally, there are better drivers that deserve a seat in F1 than him.
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

Very average and there are better driver. You just described Grosjean and 1/2 the other potential drivers. Like you say, the financial boost didn't hurt Esteban's resume.

I agree. I prefer JEV a lot more then Esteban. JEV showed mad skills in Toro Rosso. A bit surprised he is not that mentioned as a possible Kimi replacement. Although i think Kimi may stay in 2017 also. Kimi is a huge part of the Ferrari family. Like it or not. I think he got a big role in giving feedback and stuff like that. Arrivabene likes him a lot. That gotta mean something.
    Well one more season like this ,and kimi is definitely out.Wont matter even if Arrivabene is in love with him

Someone else (Vergne, Magnussen..) should of got that seat.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Someone else (Vergne, Magnussen..) should of got that seat.
    Agree. I think they signed Esteban because of commercial reasons. But we shall see. Maybe he will prove himself.