Thread: Tombazis speaks up

Is he saying that as a chief designer he has not worked much on cars from 2009 to 2014 and someone else did

Of course he is going to say it was not his fault and Ferrari should keep him.... Wouldn't expect anything else...

so 2015 car is his?

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...Alonso_and_me/
    but Tombazis, who claims he is now shaping up to return to F1, told Corriere della Sera newspaper that the apparent fruit of the revolution – the SF15-T car now raced by Sebastian Vettel – was actually designed by him.

“I was working until early December, when it was already in production,” he said. “I just wonder what they would have said if it had been a bad car rather than a good one.”

Quote Originally Posted by radosav View Post
    http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...Alonso_and_me/
    but Tombazis, who claims he is now shaping up to return to F1, told Corriere della Sera newspaper that the apparent fruit of the revolution – the SF15-T car now raced by Sebastian Vettel – was actually designed by him.

“I was working until early December, when it was already in production,” he said. “I just wonder what they would have said if it had been a bad car rather than a good one.”
    Based on the performance of Tombazis's cars in the past, I'm sure Allison had to start from square one when he took over.

Disappointed Since 2010

TBH SF15T is a good car, but its chassis is far from world beater. Improving engine dramatically is the reason why we are 2nd. We have a solid chassis, but there are at least 2 if not 3 chassis better then ours. Merc, RBR and STR. We were 1 second slower in middle sector at SPA to RBR even with their wing completely flat.

This cannot be continued anymore, so he was right to be sacked. If we are not at least close 2nd with the chassis, any hope of championship is a mere dream.

I think Allison himself said that this year's car is a write off and couldn't be developed further due to the fact he took over too late in the process when the basic car structure was already finalized... we'll have to wait until next year to see how a car under his design philosophy pans out :)
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

So we have two victories car and everybody say that is his contribution to those victories. FOr me that is very nice and I admire that. But who is in charge for non polesiter cars from 2009 to 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by zamlatuljko View Post
    So we have two victories car and everybody say that is his contribution to those victories. FOr me that is very nice and I admire that. But who is in charge for non polesiter cars from 2009 to 2015?
    It's not just the two wins. Vettel has consistently qualified third, occasionally split Mercedes in qualifying, and scored a large number of podiums. This is the most consistent car I've seen from Ferrari over the past six seasons.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    It's not just the two wins. Vettel has consistently qualified third, occasionally split Mercedes in qualifying, and scored a large number of podiums. This is the most consistent car I've seen from Ferrari over the past six seasons.
    I couldn't agree more ! This year still may have a few great Seb finishes. Ferrari is in it! I believe in all the remainder of 2015 every F1 fan will be watching where Seb is every race !

Sounds like a job application for McLaren.

This year's car and PU was worked on since last year, so I think we should give credits to those people who were in the team back then. It's impossible for the new team put together by the new management to suddenly design everything within 1-2 months.

What he is also saying is that on all those bad cars he made it was because the team started to late with them, which means they were focussing on the current car, eventhough we didn't improve to much to the end of the season, which means that he couldn't do the same thing other designers did..
    He needed a head start and even then...
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

And I agree that this years good results are because of our new PU, the car is good, but the PU makes up a lot
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Dont get me wrong, I am only focused on two wins, but we have podiums and almost one win from Kimi in Bahrein and 1-2 in Hungary. This year Ferrari is looking good and everybody want some credit for that...but for errors, mistakes, from 2009 to 2015 there is no one to sad ok we fu**ed up...
    All we hear and know is Canada upgrades from every season and then focus to next...
    Ferrari = 235 victories + 219 pole positions + 248 fastest laps = constructors championships 16

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    And I agree that this years good results are because of our new PU, the car is good, but the PU makes up a lot
    I think that on this point FERRARI made the biggest step out of all
    just remember about the fuel consumption problems we had - especially on tracks where you had a lots of stop and go and many accelerations to the max...

Probably the progress on the PU side surprised some in the factory as well.

Quote Originally Posted by erinha View Post
    Sounds like a job application for McLaren.

they have already HONDA to do this ... so no need for Tombazis ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

mr Ph.D I-am-now-the-responsible-for-sucsess forgot that HE was the chief engineer on F14 -T, the car witch supposed to have "superior aerodynamics" in era of engines.

The package as a whole is undeniably second fastest, but a lot of the thanks is due to the engine, which is getting close to Mercedes and miles ahead of Renault. In terms of pure chassis I'm not so confident Ferrari is second.