Thread: 15 years later, Mika Hakkinen reflects on spectacular pass of Michael Schumacher

Thumbs up 15 years later, Mika Hakkinen reflects on spectacular pass of Michael Schumacher

15 years later, Mika Hakkinen reflects on spectacular pass of Michael Schumacher to win 2000 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa

Race car drivers not only have great talent behind the wheel, most have great memories and recall of some of the most spectacular moments in their careers.

Former Formula One champ Mika Hakkinen certainly falls in that category. And one of Hakkinen’s greatest memories was his incredible pass by Michael Schumacher to win the 2000 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa, which Hakkinen calls the “greatest circuit of them all.”

“Alongside Monaco and Suzuka, which in their different ways are also magnificent racetracks, Spa is the greatest challenge for a driver on the modern Formula 1 calendar,” Hakkinen wrote in a recent blog post. “It has everything – fast corners, blind bends, tricky crests, nasty dips – and I have to say I always absolutely loved driving there.”

To commemorate that amazing pass for the win, Hakkinen has penned a post on McLaren’s website that is so crisp in detail, it almost seems like it was just yesterday that it happened.

“My most memorable Belgian Grand Prix was undoubtedly the 2000 race. I had won the world championship in both 1998 and 1999, and in 2000 my McLaren-Mercedes was as quick as ever, albeit not always quite as reliable as it had been in the previous two seasons. Nonetheless, I arrived at Spa at the head of the world championship standings, and in an optimistic mood. My principal rival, as ever, was Ferrari’s Michael Schumacher, just two world championship points behind me.”

Hakkinen then replayed his last lap battle with Schumacher in extremely vivid and equally breathless detail:

By lap 40 I was on his (Schumacher’s) tail. As we sliced our way through Eau Rouge on that lap, we both lifted momentarily, and powered our way towards Les Combes. Eau Rouge was a majestic corner in those days, almost flat but not quite, a real test of man and machine. I had taken it well, perhaps a little better than Michael had, and, as he and I approached the braking area for Les Combes, I decided to try to outbrake him.

I thrust the nose of my McLaren-Mercedes alongside his Ferrari, and prepared to brake late. But Michael saw me coming, and chopped across me, at 300km/h (186mph), his right rear tire touching my left front wing endplate as I lifted so as to back out of the maneuver.

After the race, Michael received a lot of criticism for that high-speed chop, but, now, 15 years later, I have no problem with it. I massively enjoyed my Formula 1 career, and one of its highlights was my ongoing rivalry with Michael. I respected him, and I think he respected me. We raced each other hard, but for the most part we also raced each other fairly. He was a terrifically combative competitor, but you could say that about all the great champions. You do not win seven world championships by being soft-hearted, and Michael was never that; but he was a superb driver, one of the best in the history of the sport in fact.

As I drove the remainder of lap 40, I could tell that, although my left front wing endplate had been slightly damaged, my car was still handling beautifully. I knew the entry to Les Combes was going to be the only place where I was going to be able t0 pass Michael, but I also knew that I would have to make my maneuver a very decisive one, simply because Michael was not likely to give up the lead easily. He had made that abundantly clear already. So, as we began lap 41, I decided to take a risk.

It was a big risk, but it was a calculated risk. I was going to take Eau Rouge flat. In those days, taking Eau Rouge flat was not something for the faint-hearted. It was extremely difficult, and the penalty for getting it wrong was usually an enormous accident. Worse still, the track was still damp off-line, so I knew I would have to be millimeter-perfect – not an easy thing to be in the world’s most daunting corner, foot to the floor, powering through the apex towards a blind exit.

As I approached that (in)famous corner, I was right behind Michael. As I turned in, every fiber of my being was imploring me to lift. I decided to count to three, daring myself to keep my foot planted on the loud pedal as I counted, knowing that by the time I got to three I would either have taken Eau Rouge flat or would be in the barriers. There was no in-between, of that I was 100 per cent sure.

‘One,’ I said aloud, and the car began to tremble, assaulted by tremendous g-forces, both lateral and compressional. I knew I would have to fight the car if I was going to avoid a shunt, and I will be honest: I also knew I would have to fight my own fear.

‘Two,’ I gasped, sawing at the wheel as the car was pitched first this way and then that. For a split second, right in the middle of the corner, I thought I could not hold it. The car was absolutely on tippy-toes, but then it gripped, and clung on.

‘Three,’ I yelped, just as the car went scarily light on the exit of the corner. It is always a nasty feeling when a race car goes light at high speed, but, again, the car continued to hold on. I had done it. I had taken Eau Rouge flat, in a race not in a qualifying session, with only a very narrow dry line on which to do it.

Ahead of me on the straight, Michael had clearly not taken Eau Rouge flat, because I was now catching him at a rate of knots. As we approached Les Combes, ahead of us I spotted Ricardo Zonta’s BAR-Honda, which we were about to lap.

I thought to myself, ‘Whichever way Michael goes, I’ll go the other.’ He went to the left, so I went to the right, braking as late as I dared, off-line, on a still-damp track, at 300km/h (186mph). As I turned in, I had done it; I had passed Michael; I had retaken the lead.

Through the next few turns Michael tried his best to harry me into a mistake, chucking his Ferrari around from left to right behind me, in an effort to unsettle me. As I say, he was always such a committed battler, a real racer in fact. But I held my nerve, whispering under my breath ‘Mika, keep calm, keep calm, keep calm.’

By the end of the 44th and final lap, I was still 1.1s ahead of him.

Job done. Great win. Fantastic day.”
    In a classy move, Hakkinen added a postscript dedicated to his longtime competitor, but more importantly, friend forever.

“I hope and pray that those encouraging signs are continuing still. No, he will never race again; no, he may never walk again; he may never talk again, for all I know. But, on the other hand, he may. Miracles sometimes occur, and I for one dearly hope that a miracle occurs for Michael some time soon. Keep fighting, my old friend.”

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...an-grand-prix/
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

FerrariSteve Guest
    I've heard Mika talk of that many times, to me that above looks like it was written by someone else, not Mika. I mean.. "sawing at the wheel"? no.. he didn't do that if you watch the onboard and I doubt he'd say that.

Not that I've watched F1 for a huge number of years, but for me, the competition between Schumi and Mika was the most exciting one I've seen.

I do hope we'll be able to witness such great rivalry in F1 again.

My blood pressure still goes up when I see that pass lol... after that race, I was certain MS was doomed for another year.... luckily it rained intermittantly at Suzuka though lol!!
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

I still don't think it was all that great a pass tbh.
    Forza Ferrari

I think this overtaking move has been rather over embellished over the years. Maybe it's the lapped car or maybe it's the only overtaking move I recall Hakkinen ever performing. Brundle even says on the commentary that he had a 10km/h advantage over Schumacher. I find it hard to feel anything but indifferent.

And still 15 years later that's the pass to beat.
    Eau Rouge was a degree or two harder to do flat out, with those cars and those speeds.

Over hyped

This is from before I started watching Formula 1. It was an entertaining pass, but I expected more based on the title.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I think what makes the pass so spectacular for Mika were the emotions behind it and what it meant for the championship.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Over hyped
    over hyped? better than anything we get today with DRS. Its the build up to that lap and overtake, he tried it before, but couldnt pull it off. Thats the exciting part of racing and overtaking. The build up. Not waiting to get into the DRS zone and press a button.

Wasnt a "great" move, but was one of the best.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

If I remember it correctly, Michael did have issues with his tyres at that point of the race, not to take something away from Mika's effort.
    However we do need to remember that was an era with no DRS and the drivers had more control over their cars and indeed I did enjoy F1 quite more.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Wasnt a "great" move, but was one of the best.
    Pretty much my thoughts, just that I used two words. If you want to see better overtakes, watch Senna on Mansel Spain 1991, Alonso on MS Suzuka, Gilles Vileneuve on Arnoux 1979
    Last edited by Rishu; 28th August 2015 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    If I remember it correctly, Michael did have issues with his tyres at that point of the race, not to take something away from Mika's effort.
    However we do need to remember that was an era with no DRS and the drivers had more control over their cars and indeed I did enjoy F1 quite more.
    I don't think it was a very special pass at all due to the top speed difference. I remember Ferrari being like was 7-8km slower on the straight. What made it unique and interesting was 3 cars being side by side on the straight, one passing the backmarker from left and the other from the right!

Pretty much my thoughts, just that I used two words. If you want to see better overtakes, watch Senna on Mansel Spain 1991, Alonso on MS Suzuka, Gilles Vileneuve on Arnoux 1979
    I have to agree on this. And there were no gizmos back then.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

that Mac was much much faster on the straights and Michael's car was setup for the rain and the track was dry at that moment and schumi's tyres were gone. Any top 25 driver would've passed Michael easilly in that mac.

did not look like that great of a pass. Was just lucky to run into that backmarker.
    we're number one

I don't rate that pass as anything really spectacular but the drivers did have more control in those days, and it was that rivalry between Ferrari and Mclaren which dictated that I would never support Mclaren as a team, it was like a red rag to a bull and still is!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I agree. They both stumbled upon back marker, and MS unfortunately chose wrong line. That's it!

That is a great overtake. It is very emotional to watch it over and over again after all these years.

Great rivalry between those two. One of the best passes for sure. One of my other favourites involved the same guys... Michael overtaking Mika at Monza 98 when coulthard's engine blows. good stuff.

Hungary, 89..Mansell in the F640...12th on the grid to win it? Senna at Donington in the wet..man o man...
    Ive always liked Mika...Remember the Top Gear when Captain Slow was riding w/Mika on a rally course and he mentioned that Shumy once said that Mika was the only driver that concerned him ( or something to that effect)?

this article is like hollywood version , with this yuck emotion stuff