Thread: Fry: Priority is to be the second best team

Fry: Priority is to be the second best team

The day after Ferrari and Stefano Domenicali part company, Technical Director Pat Fry admits the Italian team faces a major challenge moving forward.

Other than the fact that Domenicali was hugely popular, and many see him as the sacrificial lamb, even if the team had achieved little under his leadership, his replacement, Marco Mattiacci, is an unknown quantity and while he has proven himself as an 'Automotive Executive' this doesn't necessarily mean he can cut the mustard as the boss of an F1 team... especially a team where the expectation is so great.

Putting a brave face on things, at a time when many are wondering where the axe will fall next, Fry is aware of the task ahead of him and his teammates.

"We are naturally working as hard as we can on closing the gap to the top teams, with Mercedes having a reasonable lead over the rest of the field," said the Englishman.

"Currently, our first priority is to establish ourselves as the second best team," he admitted. "We are looking at all areas of the car, power unit, aero, suspension.

"We are trying to make as big a step as we can for each and every race. Since Bahrain, it's been a very busy time for us, as we examined all areas of car performance from the power unit to suspension configurations and aerodynamic improvements."

http://www.pitpass.com/51368/Fry-Pri...ond-best-team?
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Our team is going through a very tough and trying phase. We must extend our support rather than ****** about the people in it.

Any monkey can tell you the car is not upto expectations this year. Crying about it is not going to help anyone.
    Last edited by Rob; 16th April 2014 at 17:40. Reason: please filter (star out) all the swear word thankyou.
    Silently, like a shadow

These are going to be very hard times... How know how long it will last...

Title of this article is misleading, it doesn't reflect the fact that Fry wants to become the second best team immediately, then push on to becoming the best. Makes it sounds like his vision for Ferrari is being the second best team.

Fry isn't our TD!!

F1 show biz 2016 :
    Toto - "Ferrari are a real threat" .... Nico - "Awesome, everything is just awesome" .....Lulu - "Mental strength man, lifestyle man, I'll drive at 400% as ever man".... and then suddenly a wild Bull out of nowhere slams into a Ferrari.

It is a big goal to achieve in this season so it is realistically positive statement.
    ||||||||||||||||||||||

Well at least Pat Fry agrees with what Domenicali kept saying, but I'm not convinced that it means any more than a vain hope that improvements will come thick and fast and we can suddeny be second best team. Our drivers must be tearing their hair out wondering what the rest of the season may bring, so let's just hope that something works for us in China, otherwise we may suffer some more unexpected exits. Has Mr Fry actually been of great value since his arrival?

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Well at least Pat Fry agrees with what Domenicali kept saying, but I'm not convinced that it means any more than a vain hope that improvements will come thick and fast and we can suddeny be second best team. Our drivers must be tearing their hair out wondering what the rest of the season may bring, so let's just hope that something works for us in China, otherwise we may suffer some more unexpected exits. Has Mr Fry actually been of great value since his arrival?
    The last time he wasn't at a race was Spain 2013. Which Ferrari won
    Forza Jules

No Pat, our priority is to be the absolute best, number 1 team, always. Striving to be the 2nd best is just what the current situation has forced us into, unfortunately.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    No Pat, our priority is to be the absolute best, number 1 team, always. Striving to be the 2nd best is just what the current situation has forced us into, unfortunately.

Quote. Very disappointing comments.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Jeesh, so many pilloried SD for the stay calm, we will be at the top kind of rhetoric, now Fry states the obvious, something akin to "we need to learn to walk before we can run", maybe take some heat off what the team as a whole is feeling & everyone is going to jump all over it!
    Can't wait to hear what reception Marco's first remarks elicit from the crowd here, will anything less than a list of who he has relieved of their duties likely draw criticism? Well it is a forum after all, but I'll wait a couple more races (like the team said before the start of season) for updates before I decide who needs hanging... er, dismissing!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

I think he meant this year, cause first is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbannable II View Post
    I think he meant this year, cause first is unlikely.
    Yes, I know that he meant this year, but a great legendary team like Ferrari should always strive to be #1 the BEST and not settle for anything less, no matter how bad the situation is. We all know that in reality catching Merc is going to be a very tall order, but that doesn't mean that we should accept being 2nd best and just concede defeat. That's not the Ferrari way. Our number one priority must still be getting to the top as quickly as possible and none of this "second best team" nonsense. If you don't strive to be the best then you'll never be the best. I mean I can accept Ferrari losing, but what I can't accept is Ferrari losing without a fight and just settling for being the second best.
    Last edited by Nero Horse; 17th April 2014 at 01:15.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Yes, I know that he meant this year, but a great legendary team like Ferrari should always strive to be #1 the BEST and not settle for anything less, no matter how bad the situation is. We all know that in reality catching Merc is going to be a very tall order, but that doesn't mean that we should accept being 2nd best and just concede defeat. That's not the Ferrari way. Our number one priority must still be getting to the top as quickly as possible and none of this "second best team" nonsense. If you don't strive to be the best then you'll never be the best. I mean I can accept Ferrari losing,
    but what I can't accept is Ferrari losing without a fight and just settling for being the second best
    as a long time Ferrari fan myself, i couldn't have put it in any better words myself....Ferrari is and has to fight until the last corner of the last lap of the last race of the calendar....that is the Ferrari i used to know which never used to give up...

"giving up" should NOT be words in our vocabulary...

i too know realistically that we may never have a chance this year, we should work hard at it giving 120% all the time especially since all this knowledge will transfer and benefit us next year as rules will pretty much stay the same more or less for a few years to come
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I have no problem with the 2nd best comment. It's the truth. Let's look at 2009 as what this year is going to look like. We only had a couple points after the first few races. However Kimi was able to string together a few podiums by later in the season. We can turn it around. If we end up having a year like McLaren's last year I will be upset. If we can be fighting for podiums though I will feel better. It will be hard though in the near term. Just gotta keep the faith. People have waited for far longer times for far more important things than F1. Let's stay strong.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Pat Fry never said we aim to forever be 2nd best. But right now, we are still far from being 2nd best, lets not even talk about how far we are from Mercedes. Naturally we need to slowly work our way up the rank again, 2nd best is probably a good aim for this season, if not a little optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Pat Fry never said we aim to forever be 2nd best. But right now, we are still far from being 2nd best, lets not even talk about how far we are from Mercedes. Naturally we need to slowly work our way up the rank again, 2nd best is probably a good aim for this season, if not a little optimistic.
    If we are 2nd best in China I'd be quite happy, 2nd best by Spain wouldn't be as good, but I'll still take it. Everyone going on about the Mercs has already forgotten who has won the last 4 seasons & I don't think being an also ran is sitting too well with them, so I'll consider being ahead of them an accomplishment 4 or 5 races in
    I'm a little surprised we haven't heard more from the new TP, will he be with them in China?
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio