Thread: Grazie Felipe - A day to remember a life in Ferrari Red

Grazie Felipe - A day to remember a life in Ferrari Red

Mugello, 10 November – An unforgettable day. Felipe Massa’s farewell parade in front of the Ferrari crowd will always stay in the Brazilian’s heart. Over fifteen thousand turned up to give him a send-off, braving the less than welcoming weather, given that it rained heavily for much of the day. They turned out to see Felipe at the very same track where he had his first Formula 1 test, for Sauber way back in 2001. After twelve years, the end of an important page in the history books for Felipe the man and for the team he grew up with, is gradually coming to an end, as he still has the USA and Brazilian Grands Prix to race for the Scuderia.

“I’ve been lucky, I have had a great career with Ferrari, longer than I had ever dreamed of at the start,” said Felipe when he met the press. “When I began racing in go-karts as a kid, I had a red Ferrari suit and it’s always been the team I supported. Even when Senna was at McLaren and Piquet at Williams, I was cheering for Ferrari! We began our relationship in 2001 and I have raced for them for eight seasons, which is a very important part of my life. I have so many friends at Ferrari and I will miss them, as I will also miss the nice days I spent at the factory in Maranello. I am happy with the way my time with the Prancing Horse turned out.”

Yesterday’s tribute took place at the owners’ gala dinner at the Stazione Leopolda in Florence, which was opened by Felipe arriving in a Formula 1 car and ended with a ten minute standing ovation, while today it continued in front of all the fans at Mugello. “These are memories that will stay with me always, just like so many other beautiful moments spent together, starting with the wins,” continued Felipe. “For example, I think back to the wins at Interlagos, because for a Brazilian, to win your home race is something amazing. Sure, the dream just slipped out of my grasp, namely winning the world title in front of my home crowd, but that wasn’t the race where I lost the 2008 title: when you finish second by a point the key moment could have come at so many different places and I’m thinking of Singapore for example, or Budapest, or others still…”

It’s not just memories that Felipe will take home with him. At the end of his demonstration run at the wheel of an F10, which he drove alongside another veteran, Marc Gene, President Luca di Montezemolo, Vice President Piero Ferrari and Managing Director Amedeo Felisa presented the Brazilian driver with a special cup, engraved with the names of the eleven Grands Prix he won during his time in red. It’s a rather bulky piece of silverware, as the cup stands 120 centimetres tall, but we are sure Felipe will find it a prominent position at home and metaphorically in his heart.
    Forza Ferrari

Here's Felipe receiving the trophy:

Forza Jules

Awesome what a career Felipe can look back on, no matter what anyone says he has given Ferrari nothing but 100%.

I am really gonna miss his passion
    Forza Ferrari

Forza Ferrari

A very well deserved send-off for Massa. No matter what one's opinion about his performance is, no one can deny the passion and dedication Massa had for being in Ferrari. Despite all his ups and downs, driving in a Ferrari had always been what he wanted right till the moment it became impossible. Such passion for a team is rare.

Its unfortunate that he couldn't retire with Ferrari, but he'll always be one of the memorable drivers in Ferrari's history.

Thanks Suzie & Greg for the vids. Lovely and very touching.
    will Ferrari live to regret this?????????????????
    Oh I can't stop the tears
    Forza Felipe you will be sadly missed in red

Forza Jules

That is a trophy worthy of his time driving for Ferrari.

Disappointed Since 2010

Class act, all around!!
    Classy Massa!!
    Classy Ferrari!!
    Classy fans!!

Underneath it all, Felipe was just one of us. Maybe not ruthless enough or as talented as some, but he'd have driven for Ferrari no matter how good or bad the car was until the end of time if they'd let him.
    Forza Jules

Forza Felipe!

I really hope he can win his home race and his final race for Ferrari. A fitting end to his career at Ferrari.

Felipe Grande! Iam so gonna miss you

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Underneath it all, Felipe was just one of us. Maybe not ruthless enough or as talented as some, but he'd have driven for Ferrari no matter how good or bad the car was until the end of time if they'd let him.
    I couldn't have said it better myself Forza Felipe Forever

By this Ferrari has shown her tremendous respect and appreciation to the man Felipe Massa.
    He deserved it.
    Forza Ferrari, Forza Felipe. May you be friends forever.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Ultimate team man, great farewell. F2008 drive was icing on the cake.

Forza Felipe!

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Awesome what a career Felipe can look back on, no matter what anyone says he has given Ferrari nothing but 100%.

+1
    nothing more to say ...

hope he get's everything a calibre like him deserves wherever he is going ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    +2
    Well said Greg Me too

Forza Jules

With all the threads about Felipe I am beginning to choke a little, it seems he is likely to be missed more than any other driver that has gone before before even those who have won championships for Ferrari .

ENJOY YOUR FUTURE FELIPE

Its all in the name - FERRARI

Thank you for posting, it was great to see. Forza Felipe!
    "What I don't quite understand is how Massa gets the lap times he does when he so often misses the apexes of the corners. What really does impress me is the fact that he displays a determination not to be counted out, or overlooked, when it comes to fighting for the world championship." Damon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    With all the threads about Felipe I am beginning to choke a little, it seems he is likely to be missed more than any other driver that has gone before before even those who have won championships for Ferrari .

ENJOY YOUR FUTURE FELIPE

In my eyes he totally deserves all those threads There is no one like Felipe in my eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    In my eyes he totally deserves all those threads There is no one like Felipe in my eyes!
    It's our loss and Williams' gain

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    It's our loss and Williams' gain
    You're totally right

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

ENJOY YOUR FUTURE FELIPE

It's lovely to see
    I cried like a baby when Michael left, I am going to have to get my hands on some valium for Brazil I think 'cause this is going to be so much worse.
    Forza Jules

sad sad sad
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

I wish I could had understood what Felipe said in the video, But I think it shows how happy he is and how happy he has always been with the team.

Thank you Felipe for some great racing .
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

A short video with Felipe in Mugello -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PYBGO-PeZI

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    Felipe Grande! Iam so gonna miss you
    God this is emotional, what more can we say except Grazie Felipe, sei veramente grande!