Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Abu Dhabi: Friday & Saturday Free Practice Thread

Ferrari have given up on this season some time ago, so I think it's to be expected for us to slip back as teams like Mercedes and Lotus tries to push for the WCC standing.

For teams like Lotus, getting 2nd in the WCC is a huge deal in terms of money so they are probably still putting more effort into the current season. For Ferrari, we best put 100% and more into 2014

Amazing how far we have fallen back its worse than 2012. How can Lotus out class us as well again? The team seems lost. next year is make or break for us to prove we are a top team otherwise its over for many years imo.

Quote Originally Posted by pluto View Post
    Amazing how far we have fallen back its worse than 2012. How can Lotus out class us as well again? The team seems lost. next year is make or break for us to prove we are a top team otherwise its over for many years imo.
    Yeh, I remember how people here discarded Lotus at the beginning of the season, saying they won't keep up with the development... Turned out it was us.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Yeh, I remember how people here discarded Lotus at the beginning of the season, saying they won't keep up with the development... Turned out it was us.
    What developments have Lotus brought compared to us?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    For last race they brought the longer wheelbase car which is quite big and also made them much quicker.

Kimi however used the shorter wheelbased car in todays pracs while Romain used the longer wheelbased car.

Yes, I remember that too. I too was somewhat confident that we would outdevelop them over the season because of our resources compared to Lotus. What's most striking here is that Lotus are having cashflow problems to the extent it is affecting their drivers being paid on time, influencing their choice of drivers for next year and Kimi not being reassured enough about further future payment problems. It was bad enough for Kimi that he decided to jump ship and sign with us. Let's not forget there were stories of Lotus workers taking strike action for not being paid too.

Despite all of their problems they are still outdeveloping us even though we have hired a few talented people from their team.

There is something seriously wrong at Ferrari and I have a feeling that Ferrari are too proud to admit that. Instead we seem to find excuses to cover our failings.

Forget looking at points table this year. Last year we did a much better job in developing the car. 2011 we were a bit uncompetitive but staying more or less the same in terms of our performance. 2010 we were competitive. So taking all of that into account this year has been our worst year perhaps in terms of being able to improve the car over the course of the season. So looking at it on a year by year basis we are getting worse. I'll come out and say that if it wasn't for those tests in Mugello last year we would have been completely lost. Our main weakness has been that we have trained ourselves to be really good at improving our car in conjunction with track testing. But to improve using virtual tools we are probably one of the worst teams at it. I'm not sure whether just hiring Allison and a bunch of other technicians will solve the problems. It seems much more widespread.

Even if we happen to be really strong next year, other teams will quickly catch up with us.

It's very concerning because we are the only F1 team on the grid that is almost purely a manufacturer of sports cars but don't know how to improve our cars. We should be very good at this. The other manufactures don't just do sports cars and McLaren although of a sports breed are using the Mercedes-Benz engine.
    Last edited by shamim179; 1st November 2013 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    For last race they brought the longer wheelbase car which is quite big and also made them much quicker.

Kimi however used the shorter wheelbased car in todays pracs while Romain used the longer wheelbased car.
    I thought they used that in Monza?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Time to tweak Alonso's ear again, the car is clearly great.

some might say that this is refusing to work ...

What a shock that we are not very fast, unbelievable!!!! not like we should be expecting it......
    Right!
    We should be more surprised if we're fast ...

can it be that some of our aero guys (engineer would be too far) might have worked at the army with tanks and other heavy armour-plated transporters before they came to support Ferrari? Would explain how good car can be turned into something like this ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

No must haven been later ... don't no where I read it but think it was only 1 or 2 races ago ...

Here a google translation of german article about the longer Lotus version ... 06. September 2013 - 19:27 Uhr
    For a long time the upgrade was planned and in test use, but also for the race at Monza, the Lotus team has now decided according to the 'Autosport' against the longer wheelbase at E21. Kimi Raikkonen had driven in training for the Grand Prix of Italy by ten centimeters longer cars, but only came on Friday at the exact same time as team-mate Romain Grosjean.

For the rest of the weekend we now opted for the safe option and grabs the longer wheelbase back into the mothballs. But in the future Lotus wants to continue to work on the specification, so that they can use in the race. Kimi Raikkonen said after practice that the longer wheelbase making up a big difference for him.
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

found it

Lotus had already announced some time ago to try to prolong his car, the use of the revised chassis but repeatedly postponed. South Korea since the car longer and the result comes in the race used: a double podium in Yeongam and a third place at Suzuka - Red Bull is just faster. Ten centimeters are front and rear tire recently further apart, so for example, the weight is shifted slightly to the rear. Actually, the update was intended primarily to collect data for 2014 - but now the positive side effect.

They did use it at Monza though?
    Forza Ferrari

They did use it at Monza though?
    Only testing ... not in the race ... see above

Maybe that's why they can't pay their driver! Seriously, we're an embarrassment at present, and I wouldn't blame F&F for tweaking everyone's ear, we've completely lost the plot and I feel for our drivers.

Lotus going with two different wheelbases could be a stroke of genius. In Abu, it clearly looks like the shorter car is faster. Where as the longer car was better suited to Japan and Korea. It must be nice to have choices from track to track and driver to driver. Why didn't the big budget teams think of that?

They did and decided to stick with one wheelbase. Use of two wheelbases tell that they are probably not exactly sure which one to use.

Now going to watch FP sessions, but what im reading i think we should wish the end of the season to come quickly. We have fell short since Silverstone, either tyres/developments not working or coming quick enough or both. We must, and im sure up our game for March next year. We need to win again, win many races and WDC WCC again, plus F1 needs us winning again.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Now going to watch FP sessions, but what im reading i think we should wish the end of the season to come quickly. We have fell short since Silverstone, either tyres/developments not working or coming quick enough or both. We must, and im sure up our game for March next year. We need to win again, win many races and WDC WCC again, plus F1 needs us winning again.
    You must be really bored

I don't know what they brought, but they are clearly faster than us. So while we didn't manage to keep up with pace, they are near the top for all season long (with few exceptions).

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    You must be really bored
    bored?

2013 Abu Dhabi: Friday & Saturday Free Practice Thread

Tomorrow we will improve some settings used today. Feel confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iam ready for FP3 hopefully we are more competitive today. Forza Ferrari

Hope both cars will reach Q3 today

Is that Fuoco in the Ferrari garage?

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Maybe that's why they can't pay their driver! Seriously, we're an embarrassment at present, and I wouldn't blame F&F for tweaking everyone's ear, we've completely lost the plot and I feel for our drivers.
    Very well said! But maybe it was worth it. Even Grosjean looks good up front! More proof that it's 85% car. Money well spent for sure by Lotus, or Kimi , it depends on how you look at it!
    [SIGPIC]

Is that Fuoco in the Ferrari garage?
    Yes it is.

Moving camera also in Kimi's car I see.

Moving camera also in Kimi's car I see.
    Only on his car. It is off the Alonso's car based on what guys on Sky said.