Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Indian GP 2013 : Qualifying Thread

Indian GP: Qualifying Thread

Agree that this cutting the track thing is ridiculous. Even Alonso has started doing it slightly now but Webber and Rosberg and taking the .

How on earth does Charlie Whiting think you don't gain an advantage? It's utter rubbish. Webber was all four wheels off the circuit four times alone in the middle sector at one stage and did the fastest middle sector of all.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Strange tactic by Ferrari, and I don't see how it could pay back
    The times in FP3 looked reasonable for Fernando on the softs, whilst Vettel destroyed his after 3 laps.

Hopefully the boys in the garage crunched the numbers well and know that, with a good start, Alonso can plan a good race. Don't forget that he can always switch to yellow after the first stint.

At least we have a question mark to look forward to in the morning, unlike the last few races, where I struggled to wake up in the morning to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    Should go for position they are racing merc and looked faster in a straight fight so why do opposite strategy you only risk messing it up. i can understand if merc were quicker but they were not. in the past we have had similar issuesthat soft tyre will not work and come the race the alternate strategy does not work look at vettel in china. shame but will see tommorrow.
    Yep. We had the best qualifying speed since... I don't even know since when and they decide to do this.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

I like that the team has the balls to go with different strategies. Let's hope it goes good, but I guess it could go wrong for one of our drivers.

I think the strategy is good. Remember guys, our target is Mercedes and Lotus!
    Anyone knows top speed of first 10??

F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio

So, Lewis, just to confirm, it was a RedBull in the way, it was Vettel, not Webber?" Lewis, "Yeah, it was him" Re:"Ok, we'll have a look"
    No Risk, No Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Agree that this cutting the track thing is ridiculous. Even Alonso has started doing it slightly now but Webber and Rosberg and taking the .

How on earth does Charlie Whiting think you don't gain an advantage? It's utter rubbish. Webber was all four wheels off the circuit four times alone in the middle sector at one stage and did the fastest middle sector of all.
    It's madness, you don't have to slow down fully for the corner... You just go over it, at a faster speed than you would be, what's the point in corners eh? If drivers don't even have to do them

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Its a joke, if there was barriers or grass there they wouldnt do it. Also, what is getting my back up is, FIA now helps run the WEC, and rules. Yet in Spa, Silverstone this year drivers AND teams were being cautioned and i think 1 team got a penalty for running all 4 wheels of the track.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

i think we aim for victorty this weekend - it may sound a like a joke, but our race pace is not too bad compared to bulls and we all know that Vettel will come in early in the first stint and potentially got held up by the traffic (car beyond 10 places probably will favor starting on prime). Is Vettel able to earn a gap (15-20 secs) before the first stint? if we know our race pace is not bad, we can afford taking a 4th row because overtaking is relatively easier on this track. if we try a similar strategy to Vettel, the maximun we can get is the podium finish. finger crossed for another epic race tomorrow

Annus horribilis
    ...........or
    Annus ridiculum?
    Addio Signor Enzo. Ciao Gilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Its a joke, if there was barriers or grass there they wouldnt do it. Also, what is getting my back up is, FIA now helps run the WEC, and rules. Yet in Spa, Silverstone this year drivers AND teams were being cautioned and i think 1 team got a penalty for running all 4 wheels of the track.
    You get an advantage if you do it In the race, and a penalty... So why should you be allowed to do it in Quali?! It's so annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    We were way way better on softs (didn't punnish them so much) then them. This doesn't make any sense. They just ***** it up badly. Once again.
    But red bull is better on medium tyres, if we don't use soft tyres for max possible laps we are on the limit with medium tyres too!

I think the harder tyre first is an awesome strategy by Ferrari. Who knows behind who the Merc will stay after their first pitstop, who knows how quick after the start of the GP their first stop is going to be?

Considering everything, Mark and Fernando probably have the better chance to leapfrog those in front of them in the race.

Just a shame that Tilke is not smart enough to design his tracks so that racing will actually happen on the track.

Fernando can not beat Vettel even with this strategy. I am sure fans would rather see him taking P2 and team memebers would want to see that too.
    They are taking strange decision at strange moments.

this strategy is a make or break (considering the risk of starting at 8th place when we are into first corner).

at least, it offers a chance..no matter how slim it is

Quote Originally Posted by ManFromMilan View Post
    I think the harder tyre first is an awesome strategy by Ferrari. Who knows behind who the Merc will stay after their first pitstop, who knows how quick after the start of the GP their first stop is going to be?

Considering everything, Mark and Fernando probably have the better chance to leapfrog those in front of them in the race.

Just a shame that Tilke is not smart enough to design his tracks so that racing will actually happen on the track.
    on the Tilke tracks.

We do stand good chance with Fernando, good strategy call. But we saw split tyre startegy in Barcelona, and people who started on softs were the runs rewarded in the race. Lets hope that doesnt apply tomorrow. Felipe could/can get good start, and hope he can get up with Mercs and hope Vettel and spoil them for few laps.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

We were way way better on softs (didn't punnish them so much) then them. This doesn't make any sense. They just ***** it up badly. Once again.
    We run the race to our best, not what Red Bull do. I have no idea how you can decide it is wrong considering how little data and info you actually have compared to the team?
    Forza Ferrari

IMHO this is a good strategy. Almost everyone outside top10 will start with mediums tomorrow, so you'd get into heavy traffic pretty soon. Without any first corner/lap incident and with a good start (which both Ferraries usually does), he is in a decent place to fight for podium.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Fernando can not beat Vettel even with this strategy. I am sure fans would rather see him taking P2 and team memebers would want to see that too.
    They are taking strange decision at strange moments.
    He could not beat Vettel with any strategy, what's the point in starting P2 to fall down? You think Alonso has not taken this decision with his engineers?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    We run the race to our best, not what Red Bull do. I have no idea how you can decide it is wrong considering how little data and info you actually have compared to the team?

So true.

Mark is known to sometimes drive the life early out of his tyres in a race. That could give Fernando the chance to pass if the Ferrari is holding up better.

We only have to wait and see tomorrow

Anyone knows top speed of first 10?

Quote Originally Posted by hrc5555 View Post
    Anyone knows top speed of first 10?

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    This is not good!
    Alonso must take Hulkenberg at start...

He could not beat Vettel with any strategy, what's the point in starting P2 to fall down? You think Alonso has not taken this decision with his engineers?
    How would he fall down? Why? He was the best of the rest this time, which has not been the case for some long time. He had very good chance to beat Mercs and Lotus on the same strategy. Starting from first row could motivate the team.
    Hope, they can make a strong race with this strategy tomorrow.

Simple logic. We could have started 2nd! Easily. Now we are stuck almost in midfield. If we were 1st on mediums, it would be kinda ok, but we are not. So while Alonso could lead the race after turn 1 or after the first long straight thanks to his magnificent starts and to try to keep Seb behind with our better tyre management, we won't see any of that and we will not have even a chance to get to the 1st place, because Webber is 4 places ahead of us, so there is a really little chance to jump him. Ugh, long sentece.

Fall down? Thanks to who? Mercedes? It looks we are faster. Lotus? The faster one is at 17.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Starting from first row could motivate the team.
    Motivate exactly for what? Being 0.7 behind Vettel and only 0.2 in front of Webber who is on the harder tire?
    The best motivation is to have a good result in the end and be on the podium ...

I do really think that they had very good reason for going that way ...

Maybe it is the best opportunity for bringing Felipe on the podium if strategy for Alonso fails ... so let see it as chance for Felipe also ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Simple logic. We could have started 2nd! Easily. Now we are stuck almost in midfield. If we were 1st on mediums, it would be kinda ok, but we are not. So while Alonso could lead the race after turn 1 or after the first long straight thanks to his magnificent starts and to try to keep Seb behind with our better tyre management, we won't see any of that and we will not have even a chance to get to the 1st place, because Webber is 4 places ahead of us, so there is a really little chance to jump him. Ugh, long sentece.
    We are not racing Vettel, but rosberg, hamilton and raikkonen. This is good strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by hrc5555 View Post
    We are not racing Vettel, but rosberg, hamilton and raikkonen. This is good strategy!
    We are not. But the higher you can end up, the better even in the Merc fight. And Starting from the front row with a possibility of leading the race doesn't seem so bad for a start.