Thread: Things that you have done to watch a race?

Things that you have done to watch a race?

There was a channel blackout at my place, cable guy told me tht it's not gonna resolve for the entire weekend, so I travelled 300 Kms in 4 hrs to catch qualifying! I think it was for Imola 2006. My family was upset thinking that I was an addict of F1 but for some reason I felt good, any else with similar experiences or am I the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by roddick_andy View Post
    There was a channel blackout at my place, cable guy told me tht it's not gonna resolve for the entire weekend, so I travelled 300 Kms in 4 hrs to catch qualifying! I think it was for Imola 2006. My family was upset thinking that I was an addict of F1 but for some reason I felt good, any else with similar experiences or am I the only one?
    Nice story! I can't remember something like that because I had the luck that I could watch almost every race until now. Even on holiday when it was 36 degrees Celsius I watched it on the camping site while everyone was at the swimming pool. Is that crazy?

That's good spirit mate, I fly a lot to USA I have changed hotels and locations just to be able to watch the race and the quali :)
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Two years ago I was travelling back to UK from Lake Como via Milan/Bergamo and had to take the train via Monza on GP day without going to the race....gutting, but did make it to Bergamo hotel to watch it. Hardly the real thing after being SO close!

Alienated friends and family by choosing to watch F1 rather than spend quality time with them
    Forza Jules

lied multiple times to my co-workers, family, boss and friends, pretended that i was sick many times, lied that i have some obligations at home when i was supposed to be in church camp and there's certainly pleanty of more
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Alienated friends and family by choosing to watch F1 rather than spend quality time with them
    Sounds familiar I did even once secretly watch the quali/race (not sure) on my mobile phone during my uncle's wedding

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Sounds familiar I did even once secretly watch the quali/race (not sure) on my mobile phone during my uncle's wedding
    Nice story That's dedication!

When my daughter lived at home I had to resort to tuning in to the race on TV then "losing" the remote control so she could not watch the East Enders omnibus on the large screen.
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Hahaha! the reason why I'm single...!

Some people just don't understand!!
    Die Perd se naam is pegasus abdel kader schrikt der woestijnen van bagdad tot dakar, seun van benedictus ernius quintus magnus van nassay en irma vor schimmelpernning von appeldoorn van tahiti in die heilige eg verbind kragtens die ewige edik uitgevaardig deur keiser tertius tillius theorodus en biskop merkenzein de mont saint allegonde van die vatikan.

I was traveling two and a half hours to watch F1 race on TV . Not a bad record

Cancel birthday parties etc. to watch F1, the worrying thing is, this is also for practice sessions. Adapting my holidays to F1, so I make sure i can watch F1 at home or in my hotel, but I'm never "on the road". Skipping class for FP..
    Is it sick? I don't know, I just think it's passion.
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Getting up at 7 or 8 o'clock sunday morning to watch races during Asian part of season ,knowing my parents will get up soon and go to church!
    And always same look and question : You can get up for 'that' and you can't for Jesus?
    Right answer would be : I would if Jesus would drive F1 car !!! But of course i never say it at loud !

Quote Originally Posted by radosav View Post
    Getting up at 7 or 8 o'clock sunday morning to watch races during Asian part of season ,knowing my parents will get up soon and go to church!
    And always same look and question : You can get up for 'that' and you can't for Jesus?
    Right answer would be : I would if Jesus would drive F1 car !!! But of course i never say it at loud !

Only alarm clock I have is my self phone, my phones battery was almost empty and I forgot charger to my workplace. So no option, had to stay awake whole night for not to miss
    race at 9 am. That happened before Korea race 2 weeks ago.

Living in South America implies all races are early in the morning and during the'Asian' part, races are at 3 or 4 in the morning.
    While on honeymoon, I woke around 3 o'clock to watch Adelaide 1986 (Mansell's tyre blew and Prost was champ).

Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    Living in South America implies all races are early in the morning and during the'Asian' part, races are at 3 or 4 in the morning.
    While on honeymoon, I woke around 3 o'clock to watch Adelaide 1986 (Mansell's tyre blew and Prost was champ).
    Yes except for honeymoon incident that's my life too, 7 am for races in Europe and 1am for races in Asia.
    Canada Brazil USA and soon Mexico have great hours for us.
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    your wife was happy, i guess

Everyone should invest in TIVO ! You wake up and turn on the race. And you can save the whole season for the break time.
    [SIGPIC]

no, no, no! the joy of watching live race, follow live timing and moan in the same time makes absolutly every sacrifice done worth it

Felt actually really really bad about this one. 2 years back, while my ex was living/studying in another city than the one i've lived/studied. The only time we could spend was on the weekends, with one of us going on 2 hour train ride to the other city on saturday and then going back on sunday. Was the final 2011 race and we had not met for 2 whole weeks! Quali and race time was exactly when the train had to leave and come back. Guess you can guess who called in sick

that is almost acceptable

Actually, i'm rather sure, if she had known why i didn't go, the relationship would have ended at right that moment It lasted for over half a year afterwards. Eventually it ended. Now got a GF whose in to this sport, so no problems for mua of this kind Won't mention whose her favorite driver, otherwise i'd get burned alive here

It's Vettel

you won't get burned alive, she however... for me f1 is my private fun, can't share it with other people next to me though..

Howabout things you've done to not watch a race?

In 2009 I went on holiday to the US and missed the Singapore and Japanese GPs. For Singapore I was in San Francisco and it was on breakfast time there but the hotel I was in didn't have it. I was recording the races at home anyway so that was fine. The following weekend I was in Las vegas for the Japanese GP. As you can imagine you can get anything in vegas but because I hadn't seen the previous race I didn't want to see this one incase they referred to the last one so, there was I, Saturday night sat in Cesars palace with my back to the TV screens so I didn't accidentally see anything.
    When I got home a week later I sat down and watch both races without knowing the result of either

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    no, no, no! the joy of watching live race, follow live timing and moan in the same time makes absolutly every sacrifice done worth it
    Ok, but I zip through all the commercials and slow motion the start and the whole first lap. With the onboard cameras I watch Alonso over and over cut through the traffic ! It allows me to stop on the live timing info and read it . I just can't break down and go to the finish!
    [SIGPIC]

Is there somewhere on the internet that one can watch the F1 season? I am in South Africa and the only channel that has F1 is hideously expensive. When the F1, WRC and V8 Supercar season ended there are only reruns to watch. They don't air LeMans in any comprehensive manner and have discontinued ESPN which at least carried some motorsport. I have cancelled my subscription and will have to renew in March next year if there is no alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Is there somewhere on the internet that one can watch the F1 season? I am in South Africa and the only channel that has F1 is hideously expensive. When the F1, WRC and V8 Supercar season ended there are only reruns to watch. They don't air LeMans in any comprehensive manner and have discontinued ESPN which at least carried some motorsport. I have cancelled my subscription and will have to renew in March next year if there is no alternative.
    Yes, here: http://www.streamhunter.eu/
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI