Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Domenicali looking back and ahead

Thumbs up Domenicali looking back and ahead

Maranello, 11 September –It’s been a busy time today in Maranello. Yesterday evening, Felipe Massa tweeted his farewell to the Scuderia, which will come at the end of a twelve year saga and this lunchtime, it was confirmed that Kimi Raikkonen, who has already played a significant part in the history of the most successful team in Formula 1, is on his way back.

We asked Stefano Domenicali to explain exclusively to www.ferrari.com the reasons for the change.

“When you make a change, it’s always with the aim of improving and that is what we are trying to achieve by bringing back to Maranello a very experienced, talented and determined driver like Kimi. For a few years now, we have been working on a refurbishment programme in all areas- our buildings, organisation, work methods – and now we have in place another building block, in the structure of the Ferrari of the future. For the first time, we will have a driver pairing made up of two world champions, which in itself is already significant, as they are the sort to always try and win and they can help each other by aking valuable points off our rivals. Having said that, we are well aware that without a competitive car, not even Superman can win. So our priority on a daily basis is always the same, namely to give our drivers a car capable of always fighting for the top place.”

Some say that the Alonso-Raikkonen pairing is a Dream Team, while others reckon that it won’t work having two cockerels in the same hen house. Will something change in the way the team is run or in its relationship with Fernando?

Nothing will change in the way the team is run. Since the world began, our drivers have always started on equal terms. It’s always been that way and always will. Then, during the course of the season, if the situation is such that one driver can help the other based on the points table, it’s logical and right that it should happen. It’s happened in the past and will happen in the future, as all drivers who have driven a Ferrari have demonstrated. It occurred at the time of Fangio and Collins and more recently with Salo and Irvine, when the Finn gave up on his only chance of a win in Formula 1 to help his team-mate, as Raikkonen was helped by Felipe, before repaying the compliment and again with Felipe and Fernando. As for the Dream Team, I’m not in the habit of dreaming with my eyes open, as it’s not in my nature to do so. I would only say that the combination of Fernando and Kimi is the best one could have today in Formula 1, in terms of talent, experience, competitive spirit and the ability to move car development forward. As for the “poultry” question, it brings to mind football fans who are scared of rival teams because they have so many strong forwards and so they hope they will fight each other for the ball… For anyone thinking that the choice of Kimi is somehow an anti-Alonso choice, I can put their minds at rest: at Ferrari, everyone knows the interests of the team come first and only then those of the individual. Fernando is a key asset for this team and he will be for a long time. I’m sure he is the first to be happy with a choice made to strengthen the group, because he is too intelligent not to realise that a stronger team can only be an advantage.”

Other commonly held concerns about Kimi revolve around his ability to work with people in a Formula 1 world where communications are ever more important and also his talents when it comes to moving forward the technical development of the car.

“Some cliches refuse to die! We worked with Kimi for three years from 2007 to 2009 and we never had a problem. Sure, everyone has their own ways and you can’t expect a Finn to start telling jokes in Italian or playing the clown! Honestly, I think the combination of Fernando’s expressive and passionate latin character and the cool style, to call it that, of someone like Kimi, seems to appeal to many, including the youngsters and our partners are also in agreement with this. As for the technical side of things, not only do we know full well how much Kimi can contribute at an important time like this, when the technical framework is changing so significantly, but we also have first hand information from James Allison, as to how much the Finn has also progressed in this area over the past two years.”

A twelve year era with Felipe at Ferrari is coming to an end. Can you tell us how the relationship has worked out over the past few months?

“At the start of the summer, we had a meeting to assess the situation and I reiterated that renewing our agreement was one of the options on the table, maybe it was even the most likely. Then came a series of difficult races, for him and for the team and in the end, we realised the best choice, for both parties, was to make a change. I think that, even for Felipe, the time had come to look outside what had become his home for twelve years and which, to a certain extent, will always be his home. You see, I saw Felipe arrive in Maranello when he was just a kid and I will see him walk out of here a grown man. Together we have lived through some great moments and some dramatic times, which has made the personal rapport between us something special. Obviously, the biggest disappointment is that I didn’t get to see him become world champion, which he almost did in 2008. That day and indeed that whole year, there were some incredible incidents which went against him. The lesson in sporting dignity he gave the world that day on the Interlagos podium and also the maturity he displayed while talking to me last night will always stay with me. I am proud to have worked with him in our team for so many years and I’m sure he will know how to do some great things outside the Maranello environment.”

- See more at: http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/dom....BowOD8Vv.dpuf
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

He also said this...

The car is looking much more competitive for the next race. We expect great thing in this race from both Fernando and Felipe. We seem to have made a good step forward. We expect Alice to find her way out of the looking glass at any moment. When she does, we will ride our unicorns out to meet her in person. Ron Dennis is a very intelligent man. The sky is purple. We are looking for a steady supply of walnuts for Kimi and flan for Fernando.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    He also said this...

He also said this...
    you just made my evening even better
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    you just made my evening even better
    And for the second time this evening my wife is looking at me with that strange expression on her face......
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

He also said this...
    Is this supposed to be a joke of somekind? Cause I honestly don't get it. What is up with you and the influx of sarcastic comments towards Ferrari lately? Really strange.
    You used to be a lot more positive person.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Is this supposed to be a joke of somekind? Cause I honestly don't get it. What is up with you and the influx of sarcastic comments towards Ferrari lately? Really strange.
    You used to be a lot more positive person.

It was a joke.

I have, however, written off this year for the titles. I am not saying that we can't/won't win races. Yet.

I am very confident that we will trounce RedBull and win both titles in 2014.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

It was a joke.

I have, however, written off this year for the titles. I am not saying that we can't/won't win races. Yet.

I am very confident that we will trounce RedBull and win both titles in 2014.
    Well I must say that it was the kind of comment I wouldn't expect to come from you.

And don't write off anything just yet, as long as winning both titles is still mathematically possible it isn't over. As Ferrari fans, we shouldn't give up hope that easily.

Well I must say that it was the kind of comment I wouldn't expect to come from you.

And don't write off anything just yet, as long as winning both titles is still mathematically possible it isn't over. As Ferrari fans, we shouldn't give up hope that easily.
    You know what? I stand corrected. You are absolutely right.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

You know what? I stand corrected. You are absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    And for the second time this evening my wife is looking at me with that strange expression on her face......
    maybe she thinks you are watch something dirty.. oh wait
    not gonna change my profile picture

The car is looking much more competitive for the next race. We expect great thing in this race from both Fernando and Felipe. We seem to have made a good step forward. We expect Alice to find her way out of the looking glass at any moment...
    I still believed it was a true quote at the end of that sentence, although it seemed odd that Domenicali changed his racional and technical approach to more poetic one. And I was happy with what I read untill the next sentence when it became obvious it was some sort of desperate joke.

Oh come oon, it was really funny! Try and have some sense of humor! I for my part think that a certain amount of sarcasm is healthy and can help you when times get tough. Maybe you should try it out some day!

Nobody is asking you to give up hope, but don't be too disappointed if it wont change the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Oh come oon, it was really funny! Try and have some sense of humor! I for my part think that a certain amount of sarcasm is healthy and can help you when times get tough. Maybe you should try it out some day!

Nobody is asking you to give up hope, but don't be too disappointed if it wont change the outcome.
    I do have a great sense of humor and I can be quite sarcastic as well, as you probably know, but when it comes to Ferrari, then that's where I draw the line. As Alonso fan it's obviously difficult for you to understand that, but I'm sure you wouldn't like it either if I started making negative sarcastic jokes about Alonso.

And if you want to give up hope on winning championship titles then that's your choice. I personally still very much hope and believe in Ferrari's chances of winning both titles (as should every true Ferrari fan) and there's nothing that you or anyone else can say that will change my beliefs. Giving up the fight is not the Ferrari way, and as long as there is even the slightest of chance to win WDC and WCC, then there is always hope. Have a nice day!

I do have a great sense of humor and I can be quite sarcastic as well, as you probably know, but when it comes to Ferrari, then that's where I draw the line. As Alonso fan it's obviously difficult for you to understand that, but I'm sure you wouldn't like it either if I started making negative sarcastic jokes about Alonso.

And if you want to give up hope on winning championship titles then that's your choice. I personally still very much hope and believe in Ferrari's chances of winning both titles (as should every true Ferrari fan) and there's nothing that you or anyone else can say that will change my beliefs. Giving up the fight is not the Ferrari way, and as long as there is even the slightest of chance to win WDC and WCC, then there is always hope. Have a nice day!
    I have heard and read quite a lot of negative sarcastic remarks about Fernando and i can still laugh about some. So just don't stop yourself. I have actually heard it all.

That a good sense of humor can help through difficult times is my personal opinion and is has next to nothing to do with me being an Alonsofan. So please don't accuse me of being unable to understand hurt feelings just 'because you are an Alonsofan'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    I have heard and read quite a lot of negative sarcastic remarks about Fernando and i can still laugh about some. So just don't stop yourself. I have actually heard it all.

That a good sense of humor can help through difficult times is my personal opinion and is has next to nothing to do with me being an Alonsofan. So please don't accuse me of being unable to understand hurt feelings just 'because you are an Alonsofan'.
    Well I'm not going to make any sarcastic jokes about Alonso, because I have too much respect for him to do that and as long as he's a Ferrari driver he's like a family member to me. And yes I know that I have made a few negative remarks about Alonso here before, but that was when I thought that he was going to turn his back on Ferrari. As a Ferrari driver I will always love him and respect him, just like all the other Ferrari drivers.

I need to admit that Ferrari as F1 team has not been my number one favorite ever, but still among the top 3 always.
    What at Ferrari inspires me is their sports cars, which are most beautiful in world in their own class!

Nice words about Felipe from Stefano, but he did mention Felipe's future outside the Maranello environment, which sounds a bit too final to me. A great pity if that's the case and I'm sure emotions are running high enough to make the remainder of the season very special.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Nice words about Felipe from Stefano, but he did mention Felipe's future outside the Maranello environment, which sounds a bit too final to me. A great pity if that's the case and I'm sure emotions are running high enough to make the remainder of the season very special.
    I agree with you wisepie! I want to see Felipe back at Ferrari sometimes in any role! He is 100% Ferrari so he knows how the team works in every way! I would like to see him at Ferrari in the role of first man of the LMP1 program if that really is going to happen. That would be fantastic for Felipe and he deserves it definitely! Maybe if Felipinho has the talent of his father we will see Massa back

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    I agree with you wisepie! I want to see Felipe back at Ferrari sometimes in any role! He is 100% Ferrari so he knows how the team works in every way! I would like to see him at Ferrari in the role of first man of the LMP1 program if that really is going to happen. That would be fantastic for Felipe and he deserves it definitely! Maybe if Felipinho has the talent of his father we will see Massa back
    It would be so awesome and wonderful to see Felipe driving a Ferrari LMP1 racecar in the 24h of Le Mans and then winning it!

And hey yea, who knows maybe we will see Felipinho becoming a Ferrari F1 driver in about 20 years or so. It wouldn't surprise me at all actually.

Wow all the plesant words and good byes and well wishes here for Massa a fine brazilian driver leaving Ferrari. Reminds me of when Rubens left, how we all wished him well. True Ferrari fans, nothing less.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by brembo man View Post
    Wow all the plesant words and good byes and well wishes here for Massa a fine brazilian driver leaving Ferrari. Reminds me of when Rubens left, how we all wished him well. True Ferrari fans, nothing less.
    For all the bitter remarks rubens made about ferrari, at least professionally he never stopped working on the car with the team, there was never a sense of " i have nothing to do here" from rubens, even when things weren't going his way, he always gave his technical feedback, and i think that this was a big reason for him to stay so long at ferrari despite being vocal about how he thought he was treated unfairly sometimes.

It comes as a no brainer the reason he stayed so long driving f1 cars, when he had the best car on the grid and when he had the worst, he would stay as long as needed to work on it, the technicians, engineers, mechanics and bosses always loved that.

I am surprised he is not working for any F1 team atm, won't surprise me when that happens.

T
    he art isn't in never falling but in always getting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeistes View Post
    For all the bitter remarks rubens made about ferrari, at least professionally he never stopped working on the car with the team, there was never a sense of " i have nothing to do here" from rubens, even when things weren't going his way, he always gave his technical feedback, and i think that this was a big reason for him to stay so long at ferrari despite being vocal about how he thought he was treated unfairly sometimes.

It comes as a no brainer the reason he stayed so long driving f1 cars, when he had the best car on the grid and when he had the worst, he would stay as long as needed to work on it, the technicians, engineers, mechanics and bosses always loved that.

I am surprised he is not working for any F1 team atm, won't surprise me when that happens.
    Rubens was in the Ferrari garage at Monza. Wearing full Ferrari gear if I remember correctly. I'm not saying he will work for the team, just that he is still around.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

I really like it that Rubens still comes to F1 races in the Ferrari garage. But I don't like the words he said when he just left Ferrari. I guess it was also in his contract that he had to play second fiddle so he knew what was expected from him. Eddie was also not a number one driver but he never complained.

Well they do start getting into F1 at younger ages nowadays, I hope I'll still be on this planet when Felipinho makes it to F1!! But Felipe in a LMP1 Ferrari would be great, but I'd love him to find a seat in an F1 team for 2014 and show that he's still a force to be reckoned with.

It would be so awesome and wonderful to see Felipe driving a Ferrari LMP1 racecar in the 24h of Le Mans and then winning it!
    That would require some element of good luck and the chance of a fairytale happening to Felipe; neither of which is ever likely to happen. See also: him doing well at Brazil.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    That would require some element of good luck and the chance of a fairytale happening to Felipe; neither of which is ever likely to happen. See also: him doing well at Brazil.
    Never stop dreaming and hoping Suzie! I think we all want Felipe back at Ferrari in some role and hopefully as a racing driver

I really like it that Rubens still comes to F1 races in the Ferrari garage. But I don't like the words he said when he just left Ferrari. I guess it was also in his contract that he had to play second fiddle so he knew what was expected from him. Eddie was also not a number one driver but he never complained.
    Austria 2002, Indy 05, even when the chin had no shot. Ross got Rubens good again at Brawn making him pit 115 times so Button could win.[ Just joking, it was 3xs.] I'm sure Rubens contract didn't read, whenever we feel like it you have to let him pass even for just the hell of it. What words did you want to hear? Hey Todt, Ross, Chin thanks for everything especially offering me on the podium that trophy you stole of me. OH YEA! THE CONTRACT!
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by brembo man View Post
    Austria 2002, Indy 05, even when the chin had no shot. Ross got Rubens good again at Brawn making him pit 115 times so Button could win.[ Just joking, it was 3xs.] I'm sure Rubens contract didn't read, whenever we feel like it you have to let him pass even for just the hell of it. What words did you want to hear? Hey Todt, Ross, Chin thanks for everything especially offering me on the podium that trophy you stole of me. OH YEA! THE CONTRACT!
    Have you ever heard Felipe complaining after Germany 2010 or Austin GP last year? I didn't so I mean that's who Rubens could have reacted as well not?

Rubens had a real car, fast etc. He got team ordered for the hell of it, just in case the chin needed a point or two down the line. or not just for points. That's the difference. Todt, the chin, and Ros, the Curley, Larry, and Mo of F1. well not really stooges, just three bums. Austria 2002 never happend to Massa. The disgrace of F1.
    [SIGPIC]