Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton: Alonso is the Rival He most want to Beat

Hamilton: Alonso is the Rival He most want to Beat

Just read this from Yahoo Sports UK but they got it from Reuters.

Heres the site link http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1/.

The 2008 world champion told British reporters ahead of the Australian season-opener in Melbourne next weekend that he saw the Spaniard as the fastest on the starting grid and the one he wanted to be judged against.

The Briton said a duel with compatriot Jenson Button, the 2009 champion and Hamilton's team mate for the past three years at McLaren, did not really excite him.

"The rivalry between me and Fernando excites me more," added the 28-year-old, who made a sensational Formula One debut as Alonso's team mate at McLaren in 2007.

"He's the guy I want to beat. You also want to beat (Red Bull's triple champion) Seb (Vettel) as they are the ones with most titles.

"But Alonso's the fastest driver I can see. He's also one of the most experienced. Anyone would struggle to beat him. Trying to finish ahead of Alonso, in a Ferrari that is actually really competitive, is a really nice challenge. And I do think the Ferrari is going to be quick this year," said the Briton.

Alonso was overall runner-up last season in a Ferrari that started the season well off the pace, losing out to Vettel by just three points.

Hamilton - whose Mercedes may not be competitive enough to challenge for the championship this season - is the only team mate to have beaten Alonso, the 2005 and 2006 champion with Renault, over the course of a season.

The two finished level on points and with four race wins each at the end of 2007 but Hamilton was the overall runner up to Finland's Kimi Raikkonen, who scored one point more, due to his having more second places.

Their time together lasted only one bad-tempered season, with Alonso returning to Renault and then joining Ferrari, but any animosity between the two has long ceased.

Button scored more points than Hamilton over their time together as team mates.

In other comments, Hamilton made clear how much he wanted to return to the top, five years after his sole title to date.

"We all want to be the one," he said. "I was the one for a short period of time. Now it's toppled over to Sebastian. But I want to be at the forefront. People see (seven times champion) Michael Schumacher as a god and that's where I want to be."

Quote Originally Posted by redkid View Post
    Just read this from Yahoo Sports UK but they got it from Reuters.

Heres the site link http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1/.

The 2008 world champion told British reporters ahead of the Australian season-opener in Melbourne next weekend that he saw the Spaniard as the fastest on the starting grid and the one he wanted to be judged against.

The Briton said a duel with compatriot Jenson Button, the 2009 champion and Hamilton's team mate for the past three years at McLaren, did not really excite him.

"The rivalry between me and Fernando excites me more," added the 28-year-old, who made a sensational Formula One debut as Alonso's team mate at McLaren in 2007.."
    lol.. he is really rubbing button the wrong way. If perez now starts beating Button, he will sink into oblivion.
    Silently, like a shadow

The enemy of my enemy is my friend
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

Anyone besides me think this recent display of "mutual admiration and respect" is a public way of burying the hatchet
    that McLaren drove between Alonso and Hamilton in that first ill-fated season?

I bet a lot of the animosity between Fernando and Hamilton was caused by the atmosphere at Mclaren, clinical and very un-Latin, plus it seems that having two No 1s in a top team isn't necessarily the best way forward.

When you read between the lines is Lewis saying that he's got a fast car?
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    When you read between the lines is Lewis saying that he's got a fast car?
    Or... that he is with a team where he is "part" of the team and not just a "component"?

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    Or... that he is with a team where he is "part" of the team and not just a "component"?
    Componenti e pezza e la stessa cosa!
    [SIGPIC]

Lewis has more to prove than just beating Fernando, he wants to do with Mercedes what Schuey did with Ferrari and earn the same accolades. I hope it doesn't work but am a bit concerned that it might!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I bet a lot of the animosity between Fernando and Hamilton was caused by the atmosphere at Mclaren, clinical and very un-Latin, plus it seems that having two No 1s in a top team isn't necessarily the best way forward.
    Agree. Plus add to it the partisan nature of fair uncle ron. Hes done it before, he did it again with Fernando.
    Silently, like a shadow

I remember interview with Lewis where he stated that he didn't learn anything from Button during their rivalry in Mclaren! But he said that he learned much from Fernando during 2007 .
    He said that he watched Fernando's telemetry data and tried to do what Fernando did!
    There isn't better compliment than that!
    I don't think that Fernando and Lewis are trying to downplay Vettel's driving ability , they just don't think that he is in their league , and these guys know their knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by brembo man View Post
    Componenti e pezza e la stessa cosa!
    Bravo... ho fatto un gioco sulla parola e l'hai capito!!

May Lewis stop trading words with Alonso. These articles do nothing more than raising the imagination of people about the rivalry between these two. Kinda pointless lately as not only is it not obvious enough, but saying stuff like that does not change a thing. It's a waste of time to read.

Poor Sebastian! Nobody gives him a bit of credit.

You can't expect one of our main rivals to get much credit on this forum, Jack! Some of us will accept that he is gifted and won his championships in a superior car (hate to say it), but that's as far as it will go for most tifosi. We do try to be open-minded but there are limits and sadly, Seb is not our preferred subject!

We do try to be open-minded but there are limits and sadly, Seb is not our preferred subject!

I just love it.good one

Why bother hanging out on a Ferrari forum if you're not a Ferrari fan?

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I have neither a favourite team nor a preferred driver but I am a F1 fan. So this forum is as good as any other one as long as it smell like petrol and burnt tyres. That's enough for me.
    Last edited by Jack; 16th March 2013 at 00:55.

The real talented drivers in F1 are Alonso, Hamilton, and Kimi. The rest that have won are just above average drivers in the fastest car on the grid (Vettel and Button).

Vettel is way too talented, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Vettel is way too talented, dude.
    So talented he can only perform in an EBD car.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    So talented he can only perform in an EBD car.

Very true.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

'Scuse the ignorance, but what's an EBD car or am I being totally stupid? And Jack, stop winding us up please, we don't want too many references as to how good Seb Bieber is in an EBD car, whatever that is. Maybe you should go and take Heidi for a walk! Only joking, of course!

I am not winding anyone. I did a joke which apparently many did not understand.

And case you want to know my opinion about current F1 drivers just read Brakefade's comment. I agree with him at 100%

Hamilton's comments are in the same class as a lot of after match foot ball comments. his words are aimed at bigging up Alonso so that IF he beats him it will make the victory seem more worth while.

Oldest one in the book
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Hammie has had some media training I guess! You hear this useless comments in every sport nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    Hammie has had some media training I guess! You hear this useless comments in every sport nowadays.
    And he's now with BBC as a sport columnist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21793873

Haha redkid what a joke ! What will he do next ?!

Quote Originally Posted by redkid View Post
    And he's now with BBC as a sport columnist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21793873
    Won't be on my list of favourites!