Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austria steps up as Turkey's 2013 hopes fade

Exclamation Austria steps up as Turkey's 2013 hopes fade

Friday 7 December at 06:35 : Dec.7 (GMM) As Turkey's hopes fade, it looks increasingly possible that Austria will return to the F1 calendar in 2013.

This week, at Bernie Ecclestone's request, the FIA reserved a date for an unidentified additional European race next year.

Istanbul Park's new operator Vural Ak then announced he had reached an agreement "in principle" with the F1 chief executive, pending the Turkish government's support.

Turkey, however, has said no.

"There is nothing on the government's agenda about the return of formula one to Turkey," sports minister Suat Kilic told the Anatolia news agency.

"This is an issue that entirely concerns the private sector."

Earlier, Austria was suggested as a possible alternative to Turkey for the extra 2013 race date.

The A1-Ring, owned and recently refurbished and re-launched by the energy drinks company, is now called the Red Bull Ring.

And writing in Eurosport, leading F1 business journalist Christian Sylt said Formula One Licensing in 2012 registered a trademark to the name Austrian Grand Prix.

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/daily...opes+fade.html
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

No I want a race in Istanbul. A fantastic track! Not a race in the backyard of RBR

Mr .E will like that 1 as Red Bull would pay $$$ for it to happen. Be nice to go back there but with RB $$$$ could you imagine if we or Mclaren won? Be drive through penalties for Fernando, Felipe, Jenson, Perez , well all top drivers so SV n MW can run away and win the marketing dream for Red Bull. A 1-2 at their home track and that is owned by Red Bull aswell.

Yes I am afraid of that as well. They will do everything to make sure that RBR will win!

I like the A1 Ring, but I don't think it's acceptable to have races at circuits owned by F1 teams. With that said I think Imola would be the best choice.

If Bernie doesn't care about that, why not have an F1 race at Mugello, it's much better than A1 Ring.

Honda own Suzuka right? don't see why a team owning it would be a major issue.
    Forza Ferrari

Mugello doesn't have a high enough safety rating for racing, just testing, nor Imola I believe. Though I agree, I would love to see a race at Mugello. Beautiful circuit.
    Forza Ferrari!!

I would love to have a race at Imola as well. I liked the track so much always when I played it with Grand Prix 4 (F1 2001 game)!

Not a fan of The A1 Ring, but better that than only 19 races, makes no difference that Red Bull own the circuit, probably been really well refurb'd, like Greig says, Honda own Suzuka and Toyota owned Fuji when F1 went there a few years ago, it's irrelevant they own it...

Would prefer Istanbul though, just a better circuit... :xmassmile:

Yes I would prefer Istanbul also more than A1 Ring.

For starters i'm calling this circuit Zeltweg, second, please let them have their GP here, one more big bill to pay for Mateschitz, besides the team and some generous "donations" to the FIA, the sooner we get to the point where his accountants tell him, that the costs of F1 are way to high compared to the marketing benefits. (oh yeah, and the bill for getting Vettel in the ROC poule with Lorenzo and Doohan, both Motogp, can't have fingerboy loosing ofcourse)
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

I love the Austria circuit, 3 straights and a series of high downforce turns, much better for my taste than another technical circuit.:xmaseek: :xmastongue:

IMOLA! IMOLA! IMOLA!

OMG, Austria needs to be back in F1. The A1 Ring was amazing. I don't care if it is home to RBR, its a brilliant venue.

I would love to have both tracks back on the calender. But with Bernie still in charge that will never happen!

Maybe RBR just want an opportunity to do a Michael/Rubens swap on the finish line to rub it in?! I'd love it to be Imola, but as we're currently down to 19 races, either Austria or Turkey is better than nothing.

Until when can the FIA decide if there will be a 20th race and where it will be held?

Estoril?

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Maybe RBR just want an opportunity to do a Michael/Rubens swap on the finish line to rub it in?!
    And maybe Ferrari finishes 1-2 and humiliates RB on their home turf.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    And maybe Ferrari finishes 1-2 and humiliates RB on their home turf.
    that would be brilliant :xmasbiggrin:

I really hope that will happen! Would love to see all those faces of the RBR-crew and ''fans'' if that would happen in THEIR country

Red Bull open to idea of hosting F1 grand prix at revamped A1 Ring
    By Gerhard Kuntschik and Jonathan Noble Sunday, December 9th 2012, 00:31 GMT

Red Bull is open to the idea of Austria hosting a Formula 1 race next year at its revamped A1 Ring track.

The energy drinks company has overhauled the venue, now known as the Red Bull Ring, and its motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has revealed that he has been in touch with the FIA to make it aware of the opportunity available.

The FIA announced earlier this week that a European F1 race would be held on July 21 next year at an unspecified venue - with France and Turkey the favourites to secure the spot.

However, Marko believes the Red Bull Ring is more than capable of securing a return of F1 to Austria for the first time since 2003.

Marko said: "We made the FIA aware of the fact that there is the Red Bull Ring and it holds a full grade F1 licence."

Although the current 40,000 capacity for the Red Bull Racing would make it tough for the event to make a profit, Marko suggests that funding could also be forthcoming from the Austrian national government and the province of Styria.

And with Red Bull having renovated nearby hotels, as well as there being a high-speed toll road to the city of Graz, Marko says there should be no problem with accommodation.

"It worked in the 1970s and 1980s too," he said. "And we have a full amount of hotels in Graz."

Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz is currently on vacation and unavailable for comment about the possibility of there being an Austrian GP in 2014.

Austria has held 26 world championship races. An event in 1964 took place on a military airfield at Zeltweg before the Osterreichring was used from 1970 to 1987. The revised A1 Ring held grands prix between 1997 and 2003.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104767

I guess money will not be the problem. But 40.000 capacity is really small. Should be doubled at least.

In case anyone missed the fact that they own the place.

Narcissus can be proud.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

What an awful statue

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    I really hope that will happen! Would love to see all those faces of the RBR-crew and ''fans'' if that would happen in THEIR country
    I had a bad feeling when they told via media that F1 will never come back to Austria again ... even when it's now RedBull Ring.
    It is a a great enternainment park now ... a lot to discover --> Homepage

If the actual circuit would promise interesting races? ... I would doubt. I was also disappointed of the former A1 ring who was never able come on the same level of the traditional Österreich/Austrian Grand Prix .... And as far as i know the new RB circuit was never designed to be ready for F1 races again ...

Also the infrastructure would be quiet a problem ... and the environmental regulations too...
    And traveling from Spielberg to Graz is not far but also not funny for each day ...

It is funny that Marko now calls for public money as the region/state styria has some other problems. And if RedBull wants the race it should pay it without public interest support. Either it is a private place so why should the government help out? And what would be the benefit for the government as it is a private company who owns the project spielberg area.
    And how many Grand Prix end up in a positive result for the local operator ... as Bernie always gets his money nevertheless how many people are coming ...

But its F1 ... and F1 is Bernie and what Bernie wants Bernie gets ... and Bernie wants Money ...

Yes that's right. Bernie is full of bad ideas! I can't wait till the day he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakefade View Post
    IMOLA! IMOLA! IMOLA!
    Yeah.. ..IMOLA would be great!!!!!

What happened to the proposed Rome GP, anyone know if it's dead and buried?

Long time ago that I heard anything serious on that idea. Not nice because it would be awesome to have an F1 race in Rome!