Thread: Bernie Ecclestone predicting further cull of European races over the coming decade

Thumbs down Bernie Ecclestone predicting further cull of European races over the coming decade

Bernie Ecclestone has raised the spectre of "two or three more" European races being cut from the Formula 1 calendar as the sport continues its global expansion over the coming decade.

Whereas nearly 70% of the F1 schedule consisted of European rounds at the end of the 1990s, just 40% of this year's record 20 events are held in what has been traditionally considered F1's heartland.

With Spain's second race in Valencia having already been cut from next season's schedule, only seven European events survive on the calendar into 2013 - the lowest overall total since the late 1960s when seasons were far shorter.

And F1 supremo Ecclestone has indicated that the number is likely to reduce still further as the sport continues to seek out new markets.

Asked in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports F1's Martin Brundle where he envisaged F1 in ten years' time, Ecclestone replied: "We'll keep trying to move forward. We're a world championship.

Concorde Agreement stalls
    "We'll probably lose two or three more races in Europe as we have to sort of move on."

Put to him by Martin that such a move would mean there would be just four races left in Europe, Ecclestone somewhat more cryptically replied: "Who knows."

The scheduled inclusion of New Jersey on next season's calendar would have reduced the number of European rounds to just 35% - exactly half the number as in 1997 - while future new races have been mooted in Thailand, Mexico and South Africa.

Asked about Ecclestone's prediction by Sky Sports News' Craig Slater, McLaren and FOTA chief Martin Whitmarsh admitted he would prefer the current balance on the calendar to be maintained, but conceded that F1 needed to go where there was the demand and finances.

"Bernie's responsible for the commerical development of the sport," he said.

"But we can only race in European if people want us there and there's a lot of competition, a lot of places fortunately want to host grands prix.

"At the moment 20 races, now the majority are outside Europe is quite a hard slog for the teams. But I think it's Bernie's job to promote and develop the sport and I hope we stay with the same proportion of European races personally - but that's probably because I have to travel to them all!

"But, frankly, Bernie's got to go out there and get the deals where he can."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...-coming-decade
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

While I'm sure the teams including Ferrari want to expand to other country where there's a potential market for their cars like China, North America and Middle East, IMO at least 50% of the races should be held in Europe.

40% is too low, and Bernie is out of his mind if he thinks its ok for the ratio to go even lower.

Countries like Japan and Malaysia are popular among auto racing which is fine because you know the fans are there, but for countries like Korea or Thailand where motor sport is not that big of a deal, its really hard to sell an expensive racing event like F1 to them.

To be honest, F1 is global reaching now, race in South and North America, Canada, Middle East, Far East, Europe of course, and Australia, in my eyes that is global. Dont need to go to more places just to line Bernies and CVCs pockets with Goverment money for a year and then that track (Country, Region) struggles the next year to host it.

If it pretends to be global, I would like to see at least one race in sub Saharan Africa. South Africa for instance. I was born in Europe, but for a quarter of a century working in Africa and it changes perspective quite a lot. Since South Africa race at Kyalami was dropped from F1 calendar, F1 is absent in Africa. And Africa of 21st century is quite different and capable to do things like World Cups and F1 Grand Prix races as well.

South Africa, should have race. Forgot about there. Part of F1 history.

Quote Originally Posted by Voy View Post
    If it pretends to be global, I would like to see at least one race in sub Saharan Africa. South Africa for instance. I was born in Europe, but for a quarter of a century working in Africa and it changes perspective quite a lot. Since South Africa race at Kyalami was dropped from F1 calendar, F1 is absent in Africa. And Africa of 21st century is quite different and capable to do things like World Cups and F1 Grand Prix races as well.
    Yes, I agree with you completely. Bringing back South African GP on Kyalami would be really awesome.

The sport hasnt become global,its become Asian. We have multiple races in the Middle East(Bahrain,Abu Dhabi) and in East Asia(Korea,China,Japan). The only Asian races to have been genuinely successful are the Malaysian and Japanese GP's. I see no reason with persisting with the Korean or Chinese GP's. On the other hand,we are set to have 3 North American races,although the cynic in me says that the US races wont be as successful as forseen. Whereas there are no races being hosted in Africa and only 1 in the Central-East European region(Hungary). So how can Bernie claim that F1 is a global sport???

How about a Russian GP under snowy conditions?!.....that'd truly test the internal elements of a car!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    South Africa, should have race. Forgot about there. Part of F1 history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso84 View Post
    Yes, I agree with you completely. Bringing back South African GP on Kyalami would be really awesome.
    That would be fantastic to have a South African race, but Kyalami is a mess and they will have to rebuild all the track facilities. The track is unable to properly support large numbers of spectators currently.

Maybe a street circuit somewhere in the Cape will be a better option.

True. Kyalami is out of question at the present state. But I remember a few years ago around 2004-2005, if I am not mistaken, we were discussing here the news of prospective investors in SA who wanted build a brand-new track somewhere in SA (was it a Cape Town, I am not sure though). Then the rumors died out. Now it's silence. I am not sure if they killed the idea or what. Maybe member of TSN from South Africa could help with the clarification.

True. Kyalami is out of question at the present state. But I remember a few years ago around 2004-2005, if I am not mistaken, we were discussing here the news of prospective investors in SA who wanted build a brand-new track somewhere in SA (was it a Cape Town, I am not sure though). Then the rumors died out. Now it's silence. I am not sure if they killed the idea or what. Maybe member of TSN from South Africa could help with the clarification.
    I believe the track was going to be built in the Durban area, but the investors wanted the government to provide the land and help fund the FOM hosting fees. The gov decided agains it because they felt that F1 don't have the potential to become popular among the larger racial groups of SA and can't contribute to the "people". In other words, they don't watch it themselves so don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    While I'm sure the teams including Ferrari want to expand to other country where there's a potential market for their cars like China, North America and Middle East, IMO at least 50% of the races should be held in Europe.

40% is too low, and Bernie is out of his mind if he thinks its ok for the ratio to go even lower.

Countries like Japan and Malaysia are popular among auto racing which is fine because you know the fans are there, but for countries like Korea or Thailand where motor sport is not that big of a deal, its really hard to sell an expensive racing event like F1 to them.
    Thailand is catching up on Motorsports.

Plus, RedBull has a huge following in Thailand so I think most likely Thailand will be in the mix if the $$$ is right.

Malaysia has a big stake in F1, we will be on for a long while... $$$

Singapore a huge market for car manufacturers and its the 2nd most glamourous track after Monaco, again ka ching ching $$$

In the end, sad but true, its all going to be $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    To be honest, F1 is global reaching now, race in South and North America, Canada, Middle East, Far East, Europe of course, and Australia, in my eyes that is global. Dont need to go to more places just to line Bernies and CVCs pockets with Goverment money for a year and then that track (Country, Region) struggles the next year to host it.
    I very much concur, its already a global sport, keep the ratio and should not be an Asian dominated sport just because there is $$$ readily made available.

What next Hong Kong / Macau

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Macau
    Even though that street circuit is nice, an F1 car won't be able to make that sharp hairpin in the closing sectors of the track. A Jordan was tested there back in 2004 and that's what happened IIRC.

Source http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...torsport.html#

FCC Construcción, the Spanish firm behind the tracks in Jerez and Valencia, and local company Alun Griffiths Ltd have been appointed to deliver a mountaintop 3.5 mile circuit, built to FIA (Federation Internationale de l’Automobile) and FIM (Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme) standards, near the Brecon Beacons National Park in South Wales.
    While Formula One has not yet been mentioned, the Heads of the Valleys Development Company released a statement saying that the Circuit of Wales will be designed to host “international events such as MotoGP, World Superbikes, World Motocross and World Touring Car”.
    That would threaten Silverstone’s control of elite motorsport events in the United Kingdom.
    “The people of Wales, and Blaenau Gwent in particular, should be really excited about what will be built,” said Michael Carrick, chief executive of the Heads of the Valleys Development Company.
    “Having seen the work that our construction partners have done in the past, I’ve no doubt that the Circuit of Wales will be a diamond in the British sporting landscape.”
    Good for British racing but will Bernie ever want to run a a F1 gp there ??
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Like you i once was
    Like me you will be.

The part in the script which says "a £250 million Low carbon Automotive Centre of Excellence ", Hardly sounds F1 friendly

So if that is the case what other motor sports will attract thousands of visitors at a time ??

That said it would be good to see another 1st class track in the UK
    Its all in the name - FERRARI