Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343546 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Barcelona Test 1st-4th Mar 2012 - news and pics

I don't get it, if Ferrari has decided to move the exhaust more inward, why are the Acer tubes still there?
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

The original exhaust on the Red Bull was clearly temporary, and never planned to be the raced version. Just look at all the insulation they had on the wishbones due to the original exhaust position. Newey would never design something with such a 'hack'. RB was hiding the true configuration to delay any teams duplicating their approach. Yes Sauber and Mercedes are similar, but the Red Bull looks to be a more advanced implementation.

Now we see the RB8 as it was intended from the start, and this points to the real advantage Red Bull has over Ferrari at the moment. Ferrari launched with its intended 'radical' exhaust, only to find it didn't work properly. They spent the first 2 tests trying different designs, running constant speed aero tests one after the other. Why? Because Ferrari is still lacking the ability to properly model (CFD) and test (wind tunnel) exhaust blown aerodynamics. They don't have good correlation between the design/test environments and the real world. Red Bull on the other hand is so sure they have it right, they don't even bother testing their true package on the track until the last two days of the test. They are that sure it will work. Until Ferrari reaches a similar level of analytical precision they will always be at a major disadvantage. With the very limited testing of modern F1, the team with the best data models will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Curbs View Post
    We donīt have the cuts in the diffuser anymore. Are we running the old diffuser again?
    yeah it looks like it. @Tony, Fry siad they intend to go back to the acer duct, and they are not done experimenting with exhausts yet.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Looking at the times of race sim i can't wait for the media to speculate Ferrari won't be making the 150% rule come Melbourne

Hey guys how is going so far for Ferrari?I couldnt follow the test today so i wonder everything is going ok or not?What updates do we bring today or will we bring them tomorrow?I read the article on this side we plan some updates called "RED".3 major updates coming really until first race?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I don't get it, if Ferrari has decided to move the exhaust more inward, why are the Acer tubes still there?
    My thoughts exactly.

Andrew Benson:
    Ferrari have cancelled their drivers' media interviews this weekend - don't want them being asked questions they don't know the answers to

Re Ferrari, many will consider that as close to an admission that they are in deep trouble as you're going to get

Quote Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post
    The original exhaust on the Red Bull was clearly temporary, and never planned to be the raced version. Just look at all the insulation they had on the wishbones due to the original exhaust position. Newey would never design something with such a 'hack'. RB was hiding the true configuration to delay any teams duplicating their approach. Yes Sauber and Mercedes are similar, but the Red Bull looks to be a more advanced implementation.

Now we see the RB8 as it was intended from the start, and this points to the real advantage Red Bull has over Ferrari at the moment. Ferrari launched with its intended 'radical' exhaust, only to find it didn't work properly. They spent the first 2 tests trying different designs, running constant speed aero tests one after the other. Why? Because Ferrari is still lacking the ability to properly model (CFD) and test (wind tunnel) exhaust blown aerodynamics. They don't have good correlation between the design/test environments and the real world. Red Bull on the other hand is so sure they have it right, they don't even bother testing their true package on the track until the last two days of the test. They are that sure it will work. Until Ferrari reaches a similar level of analytical precision they will always be at a major disadvantage. With the very limited testing of modern F1, the team with the best data models will win.
    I do see things the same way... Ferrari needs to update to a brand new wind tunnel I think, things like the original position of the exhaust imperfection should have been detected in the tunnel, what would be the point of a wind tunnel otherwise?

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    There was chatter before the unveiling that we were using hot air (other than the exhaust) generated by the car - when I first saw those Acer tubes I thought, perhaps, they were outlets for those (other) gases. The hotter the gas the more extremely it will expand as it meets the relatively colder ambient air. Just my guess.

I don't like this at all, scuderiaferrari twitter has stopped tweeting as well

EDIT: just tweeted same message about drivers in press meetings
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

Ferrari:

We've not very popular in the press room at the moment as we've announced that there will not be any drivers' press meetings at this test.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    No interviews from Felipe or Fernando this weekend... :(((
    Weird. Wonder why Ferrari is cutting off any press contact with them

Quote Originally Posted by NanoTheQuickest View Post
    I do see things the same way... Ferrari needs to update to a brand new wind tunnel I think, things like the original position of the exhaust imperfection should have been detected in the tunnel, what would be the point of a wind tunnel otherwise?
    Our wind tunnel is virtually new from last year. I think the problem with the wind tunnels is not how new they are, but, if I recall correctly, teams are limited is the size of the wind tunnel, 50 or 60% from memory.

Are they pretending things ain't looking good or things ain't looking for real!!!!

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

Probably because anything they say is used against them.

RAIN!!

Autosport:

14:25 We've had a visit from Ferrari's press guru Luca Colajanni, who informs us that the team's drivers will not speaking to the press for the rest of the test. 'It's better that they focus on their job', he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad-Ferrari View Post
    Probably because anything they say is used against them.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    Our wind tunnel is virtually new from last year. I think the problem with the wind tunnels is not how new they are, but, if I recall correctly, teams are limited is the size of the wind tunnel, 50 or 60% from memory.
    I know they have updated the tunnel last year but is it enough and is it sufficient? It ain't proving it so far!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Weird. Wonder why Ferrari is cutting off any press contact with them
    my theory:
    Ferrari don't want to show them their happy faces cos competition will get suspicious :). But seriously I don't think we are in trouble at all. Just look at RedBull, slow as a dog today but everyone ignore this fact. This is just testing guys, no reason to worry.

I dont think we have big problems with wind tunnel.This time last year the upgrades didnt work we put on the car because yes there was a correlation issue so any of updates worked.But they said that they sorted it out and in the first test if i dont remember wrong Fry mention the windtunnel is good but not perfect.I mean it seems reasonable and improvable.We try a lot of configurations and some of them were very agressive.Now we turn more tradational solutions.Accordingly, the resistance increased and we did a lot laps.

Ferrari

Race simulation is a bit affected by the rain

i kind of wish they hadn't done that. now, everyone will think they are done for...
    oh well, won't be going on any other forums for info now. i hope Ferrari know what they are doing.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    I dont think we have big problems with wind tunnel.This time last year the upgrades didnt work we put on the car because yes there was a correlation issue so any of updates worked.But they said that they sorted it out and in the first test if i dont remember wrong Fry mention the windtunnel is good but not perfect.I mean it seems reasonable and improvable.We try a lot of configurations and some of them were very agressive.Now we turn more tradational solutions.Accordingly, the resistance increased and we did a lot laps.
    Hope you're right mate!!! Time will tell, but there is one sure thing Ferrari is very confusing this year, I hope they're doing it on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by NanoTheQuickest View Post
    Hope you're right mate!!! Time will tell, but there is one sure thing Ferrari is very confusing this year, I hope they're doing it on purpose!
    well there are TWO explinations really, they either have NO clue of how to get this car set up and match the data they had in wind tunnel (hence corelation not matching), OR they are that confident that the car is quick and like you said they are doing this on purpose to throw everybody including the media OFF.

i sure hope is the later part and come Melbourne we'll shine.
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by hogo View Post
    my theory:
    Ferrari don't want to show them their happy faces cos competition will get suspicious :). But seriously I don't think we are in trouble at all. Just look at RedBull, slow as a dog today but everyone ignore this fact. This is just testing guys, no reason to worry.
    Yes but they are consistent.something is really wrong here..none of the updates we get seem to be working..the exhaust region of the car is just a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Fer12 View Post
    Yes but they are consistent.something is really wrong here..none of the updates we get seem to be working..the exhaust region of the car is just a mess...
    Jose Luis says they made some progress in that area with the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Jose Luis says they made some progress in that area with the floor.
    he has said a lot over the winter, none of it has seemed true on track.
    Forza Ferrari

Even this joseluis guy doesn no what those parts are or when they are getting them.

I think no interviews for the drivers is the reaction of the Ferrari press office to all that Ferrari bashing lately. And rightly so.