Thread: Webber's future - top team or retirement?

Webber's future - top team or retirement?

Webber revealed that he will not be joining a midfield team next year - so he'll either be with a top team, or he will retire from F1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Webber
    "I’d need something competitive. It’s pretty clear that I’ve earned my stripes on the way through so I won’t be doing that on the other side — going the other way"

Source: http://www.f1zone.net/news/webber-to...or-2013/12586/
    Any ideas what his future plans might be?

2013 is a very interesting year for driver line-up's as you've got 4 drivers in the big four teams with contracts expiring at the end of this year (Webber, Massa, Hamilton, Schumacher). There are also some contracts ending in the midfield, so almost anything can happen. In Webber's case, he's already limited his options to Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren (Mercedes aren't in a position yet to match Webber's requirement of being "competitive").

Marko mentioned a few months ago that Webber will retire in 2012, although evidently Mark hasn't made this decision yet - so perhaps Marko meant that Webber wouldn't stay at Red Bull after 2012. This, in addition to the rumours that Vettel's teammate in 2013 will be Ricciardo or Vergne, make it very unlikely that Webber will re-sign with Red Bull. Going to McLaren also seems unlikely - McLaren have not expressed any interest in him.

So realistically, that leaves Ferrari or F1 retirement.

I don't want to start a "Massa should be replaced" discussion, but I think there's a good chance that he could come to Ferrari next year. Like most drivers, Webber dreams of driving for Ferrari so I'm sure that if given the choice, he would pick Ferrari over retirement - so then it's a question of whether Ferrari will want to sign him. What do you think? Is Webber the right man for Ferrari or should he retire?

Retire, thrashed by Vettel what's the point in him coming to Ferrari.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Like him a lot, but absolutely right.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I, like you, think the same thing. That there probably won’ t a spot for Webber at Mclaren because most likely lewser will remain at Mcscum, so webber will either stay at red bull for another ONE year contract, or there may be an option at Ferrari.

This will obviously rely on Massa’s form this year; if he’s able to perform really well and constantly be up there with Alonso on podiums and bringing in valuable points that the team needs, then I’m afraid that there won’t be a spot at Ferrari either, so Webber will be forced in retirement since he won’t be going to any midfield team.
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

I have a lot of respect for Webber and he's certainly paid his dues, but F1 is a cruel sport at times. His best bet might be going to one of the mid-pack teams like Williams and hoping they stage a comeback.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

If/when Felipe goes, should they not be replacing him with someone younger or at least of a similar age? I can't see how Mark Webber would be a step forward?
    I guess it's always a possibility, especially given that he seems to be pretty pally with Fernando; wouldn't personally want to see him at the team though.
    Forza Jules

Cool

Mark Webber has had a good F1 career and deserves respect, I can't see Ferrari signing him at this stage, they will go for a promising youngster to step up when Fernando goes. If Mark cannot stay with Red Bull in 2013 I hope he retires gracefully and doesn't belittle himself by getting frustrated driving for an alsoran team

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    If/when Felipe goes, should they not be replacing him with someone younger or at least of a similar age?
    Yes, and Domenicali has already said they'll go with a younger driver if and or when a current driver leaves.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    Yes, and Domenicali has already said they'll go with a younger driver if and or when a current driver leaves.
    Vettel

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

This is an important season for him, let's hope he can steal some points of Vettel this year.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

The first question on the future driver application @ Ferrari is, will you move over for Santander, Oh! I mean Alonso whenever ordered to do so? If yes, please continue. Webber IMO has proven that he is not a Yes man.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    2011 F1 standings

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 392
    2 Jenson Button McLaren 270
    3 Mark Webber Red Bull 258
    4 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 257
    5 Lewis Hamilton McLaren 227
    6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 118

mark Webber/ SV = 258/392 = 66%
    Massa/Alonso = 118/257 = 46%

Massa should retire coz he got trashed big time??
    Last edited by meh123; 29th February 2012 at 02:07.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo man View Post
    The first question on the future driver application @ Ferrari is, will you move over for Santander, Oh! I mean Alonso whenever ordered to do so? If yes, please continue. Webber IMO has proven that he is not a Yes man.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by meh123 View Post
    2011 F1 standings

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 392
    2 Jenson Button McLaren 270
    3 Mark Webber Red Bull 258
    4 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 257
    5 Lewis Hamilton McLaren 227
    6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 118

mark Webber/ SV = 258/392 = 66%
    Massa/Alonso = 118/257 = 46%

Massa should retire coz he got trashed big time??
    Same idea as if Massa leaves the team right now, and assuming that other top teams have a spot, would they hire him? But Massa and Webber are not leaving their teams yet.

I like Webber, but he's not better than Felipe.
    And I hope the fingerman wont join Ferrari - I really don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
    And I hope the fingerman wont join Ferrari - I really don't like him.
    Why?

My favorite driver Alonso did some heavy finger waving back in the day! I remember him using some great sign language passing the chin. So what! These boys are estatic when they win. That #1 finger is probably just a reminder to Webber, who's in charge. But anyway forget Vettel, he would never get passed quest. #1 on Ferrari's future driver application.
    [SIGPIC]

Lol true. But hey buddy, you seem way more than not being a schumacher fan, you are an ANTI-SCHUMI individual

Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post
    Why?
    He's not as good as people think (and his fans are really inadequate).
    His car is winning races, not him. He did nothing to speed of his car.
    And if he'll come to Ferrari he can just get a new fantastic car to dominate.

He 'll probably try go to Lotus, join Kimi.. I doubt tho he'll make it. I think he'll just retire.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post
    Lol true. But hey buddy, you seem way more than not being a schumacher fan, you are an ANTI-SCHUMI individual
    What ever makes you think that?
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    If/when Felipe goes, should they not be replacing him with someone younger or at least of a similar age? I can't see how Mark Webber would be a step forward?
    I guess it's always a possibility, especially given that he seems to be pretty pally with Fernando; wouldn't personally want to see him at the team though.
    Agree on point one. But in the event that our new young replacement is not yet 'ready' we might give webber a year. All this assuming we dont renew massas contract.
    He seems a fair enough guy, decent driver and relatively consistent. His arrival wont harm us in anyway.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    He 'll probably try go to Lotus, join Kimi.. I doubt tho he'll make it. I think he'll just retire.
    Most people cant retire from F1. Especially when they have been so close to winning a championship. Makes them want to keep trying. Look at Rubens, Trulli, JV, DC etc etc., I dont think Webber will retire should RB not take his option up for next year. He will drive for sure. Remains to be seen where.
    Silently, like a shadow

They may swap him with someone from Torro Rosso

I believe that 2012 is the last year for him in F1...

Webber, no way
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

Neither McLaren nor Ferrari are an option for him (one will renew drivers, and if Massa gets sacked when the season finishes the scuderia will look for a younger driver) and Red Bull seem to prefer a younger "teammate" for Vettel. Either a non competitive car or out of F1.
    Definitely his last year. Would be sorry for him.

He can always join Ruben's at Indycar...