Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2012 Season

Congrats to Hector Barbara for basically ruining the championship.
    Great podium in terms of a tribute to Sic though - and Rea did really well, kept it on the track and held his nerve.
    Forza Jules

The excellent second place finish yesterday was taken as a starting point by the men of Ducati , which now will stop at Misano for another important day of testing ahead of the season finale. Valentino Rossi will be asked to test a new chassis , which is nothing more than a further refined version of what he has given us excellent results over the weekend went on stage on the path of Romagna. The structure should be very similar, with the differences that relate to the stiffness. 's team with which the Borgo Panigale will face this test will be very large: in addition to the "Doctor" there will be Nicky Hayden and tester Franco Battaini . What you have to understand, however, is whether the U.S. will be able to get on track, since the end of the race yesterday his right hand was very sore. notivà The last hour is the presence of Andrea Iannone: now that the Ducati has officially announced his engagement in 2013, she decided to keep him at Misano to allow him to continue his apprenticeship with the MotoGP and the Desmosedici .
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Congrats to Hector Barbara for basically ruining the championship.
    Great podium in terms of a tribute to Sic though - and Rea did really well, kept it on the track and held his nerve.
    Thats what i thought aswell. Thought it was building to be good fight between Dani and Jorge. Shame he had start at back and out of position to be in that part of the field. Well, Jorge has this title pretty much now. Impressed with Rea, hope gets seat still with HRC next year.

Magneti Marelli ECU available to all MotoGP™ teams from 2013
    Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Magneti Marelli will give all competitors in the MotoGP™ premier-class the option to utilise the Italian company’s Electronic Control System on their racing machines from 2013.
    This landmark four-year agreement will give all teams access to Magneti Marelli’s electronic control system, which includes an engine and chassis control unit with inboard datalogger, as well as the relevant tuning and data analysis tools, dashboard, handlebar toggle switch and inertial platform. This system, representing the highest technological option in Magneti Marelli’s portfolio, will be backed up by a permanent presence of its technicians on track, as well as continual development and evolution at its MotoGP-specific R&D centre as its Bologna headquarters, which will be set up specifically in light of this agreement.

Carmelo Ezpeleta, Dorna CEO, is thrilled with this latest cooperation: "I cannot hide the fact that I am very happy with this new cooperation with Magneti Marelli. The agreement reached with the Italian company merely validates MotoGP as a competition that incorporates and encourages the latest and most innovative technology. The experience of this company, which has spent many years at the highest level of competition in motor sport, represents a major step in the premier-class of two-wheel racing."

Roberto Dalla, Magneti Marelli Motorsport Managing Director, added: "We are very glad to share our know-how and experience in the motorsport field with MotoGP, in order to jointly achieve new objectives in terms of performance and technology development. The main aim is to provide top technology at affordable costs, which is Magneti Marelli’s mission firstly in racing and also in the field of series production. Magneti Marelli has been developing solutions in the electronics and electro-mechanics area for MotoGP teams for the last decade: this new initiative with Dorna represents a further strategic opportunity to enhance the development of our technology."

Another brilliant win for Dani today - he's really on it this season, such a shame we probably aren't going to see a really tight Championship battle.

The Hayden crash was scary, I've never seen anything quite like it.

And boo to Dovi for getting onto the podium just ahead of Cal.
    Forza Jules

How did Vale get on?

He touched Rea on lap 1 and ran wide off the track. He was dead last but worked his way back up to 8th.
    Forza Jules

Another brilliant win for Dani today - he's really on it this season, such a shame we probably aren't going to see a really tight Championship battle.

The Hayden crash was scary, I've never seen anything quite like it.

And boo to Dovi for getting onto the podium just ahead of Cal.

holy you know what, just seen the Hayden crash.

He touched Rea on lap 1 and ran wide off the track. He was dead last but worked his way back up to 8th.

Nicky Hayden confused by Casey Stoner's retiring from MotoGP

By Matt Beer Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 10:38 GMT

Nicky Hayden has admitted he is confused by his former team-mate Casey Stoner's decision to retire from MotoGP.

Reigning world champion Stoner announced in May that 2012 would be his last season in the sport.

That means he will walk away at the age of 27, after just seven years in MotoGP - although in that time he has won two titles and 37 races to date.

Hayden was paired with Stoner at Ducati in 2009 and '10 before the Australian left for Honda, where he won the championship at the first attempt

"I'm a little bit surprised, but Casey does things his way," Hayden told the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix's podcast.

"I'm just surprised because to be winning, to be on top, to have a team like that behind you, it seems like life would be pretty good.

"So I don't understand why he would [retire], but that's his decision and I respect it.

"He's given a lot to this sport. Casey, like him or not, it's not like he rode around and milked it. When he's on the track, he's given a lot. So I say he earned the right to do what he wants.

"I think it's a pretty good life going around the world riding these motorcycles, so it seems strange, but it's his decision.

"He probably doesn't understand why I want to keep doing it..."

Hayden recently extended his Ducati contract into a fifth year.

The 31-year-old has not won a race since his title-winning campaign with Honda in 2006, but still believes he can return to the top before he retires.

"I've been at Ducati now a couple of years and had some OK results, but I think my best Ducati years are ahead of me," Hayden insisted.

"We've had a couple of not great years but there's no reason why this team and this bike can't win.

"We have the resources, we have the sponsors, and they've won before. People forget - it wasn't that long ago that Ducati was winning races, and I believe it's very possible."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103010

Ben Spies to miss Phillip Island

Monday, 22 October 2012
    Yamaha Factory Racing rider Ben Spies will not attend the Grand Prix of Australia at the Phillip Island circuit this weekend following injuries sustained during the Grand Prix of Malaysia on Sunday 21st October.
    Spies fell whilst riding in extremely challenging wet conditions at the Sepang International Circuit. An initial check by the trackside medical centre found no serious injuries however further tests conducted today in Kuala Lumpur have revealed injuries requiring surgery.

The Texan will return to the USA tomorrow, Tuesday 23rd October, to receive treatment for an AC shoulder separation, a cracked rib in the upper chest area and bruising to the lung.

Yamaha Factory Racing will not field a replacement rider at Phillip Island due to time constraints.

Ben Spies

"I'm lost for words. We've had such a tough season with an unbelievable amount of bad luck. We have always gone out there to give it 100% and it was the intention of both myself and my team to continue to do so at Phillip Island. I took a really hard knock on Sunday and it's now clear from today's tests that I have some injuries that require immediate attention.

It's disappointing to be heading back to the USA now instead of to Phillip Island but it's obviously important to get the right treatment as soon as possible.
I'm sorry for my team and thankful for all the hard work they and Yamaha have put in so far; our current situation is not where we should be.”

Press release courtesy of Yamaha Factory Racing.

Lorenzo salvages second despite tyre choice
    Sunday, 21 October 2012

Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jorge Lorenzo endured a treacherous ordeal to take second in this afternoon’s Grand Prix of Malaysia.
    The Championship leader took the holeshot from pole on the wet track with closest rival Dani Pedrosa in pursuit less than half a second behind. Lorenzo maintained his lead until just before the last corner on lap nine where Pedrosa was able to pass. The rain increased at this point making riding extremely difficult for the entire grid, Lorenzo himself miraculously saving a near fall into turn 15. The red flags were eventually brought out to halt the race on lap 13 after a number of riders fell in the treacherous conditions. The second place finish means Lorenzo moves on to the final two races with a 23-point lead in the Championship.

Lorenzo’s teammate Ben Spies had dropped three places from the start grid, working hard to avoid another rider spinning off the line. As a result he went into the first corner in ninth position, then dropping to tenth on lap three. The Texan then found an impressive race pace matching the front runners and looked threatening to move up the field until disaster struck on the eighth lap as he became one of the many victims to fall in the incredibly slippery conditions. The DNF means Spies heads to the final two races of the season remaining on 88 points in tenth position.

Jorge Lorenzo

“If we were riding at 20km per hour it is easy to stay on the bike but it is very difficult to find the limit in these conditions. They made the right decision to stop the race, for us it was great because we might otherwise have finished on the ground and crashed. We used the soft rear where Dani and Casey used the harder one. When the conditions were ok they used less of the centre of the tyre so when the conditions became worse they had more to play with.”

Ben Spies

“What a shocking race, the water on the track was incredible. I’m really sorry for rubbing into Nicky, I thought I had enough space to brake; I’m relieved we didn’t go down together and he was ok. It was a close one at the start as well, Dovi spun off the line and we were lucky not to make contact. That was one of the wettest races I’ve had in a long time, my shoulder’s really sore from the fall but thankfully nothing too serious so I’ll be able to ride in Australia.”

Press release courtesy of Yamaha Factory Racing.

HAYDEN FOURTH, ROSSI FIFTH IN MALAYSIAN RAIN

Nicky Hayden and Valentino Rossi finished fourth and fifth, respectively, in the Malaysian Grand Prix, which was marked by very wet conditions.

Rain had already fallen during the Moto3 race, which saw German Sandro Cortese take the win and the title, and it had an even bigger influence on the Moto2 race, which started late and ended early. But it was the MotoGP race that was most affected, with delays, crashes and eventually a premature finish. Nicky Hayden passed the chequered flag in fourth place, having lapped at a competitive pace and avoided mistakes.

After an excellent start from the fourth row, Valentino Rossi was fifth at the end of lap one, and until eleven laps from the end, he was involved in a fight with Dovizioso and Stoner for the third step of the podium. With the rain increasing in intensity, he ran long in turn 7, dropping to ninth place as a result. From there, he once again advanced as high as fifth place, when the red flag fell seven laps before the scheduled finish. With the rain only falling harder after that, the decision was made not to restart the race.

Nicky Hayden (Ducati Team) 4th
    “Those were really tough conditions. I got a good launch, but when Dovizioso got sideways in front of me, I shut off the throttle and lost positions. I was able to recover, but I lost some confidence when the rear tried to come around a couple times. I had to be really patient in the beginning, but once I got rolling, I had good rhythm. It was clearly the right decision to call the race. There was a lot of water those last couple of laps, and it was almost impossible to see, although the rear lights on the bikes helped a lot. In dry conditions, I would’ve been thrilled with fourth, but I know our potential is higher in the wet. It would’ve been amazing to give my guys a podium today, but it’s a decent result. Hopefully, it can help me come out of the difficult period and give us something to build on.”

Valentino Rossi (Ducati Team) 5th
    “Our race wasn’t bad because I got a great start despite being so far back, on the fourth row, and then I managed to be pretty fast. I was riding with Dovizioso and Stoner, when unfortunately I started having some problems with my visor fogging, and in those extreme conditions, with low light and a lot of water, it was very difficult. I made a mistake in turn 7, and I was lucky not to crash because it was the same point where Dovizioso, Spies and then Bradl went down. Without that mistake, I could have finished fourth because honestly, Stoner was a bit faster than I was, especially in T2. In general though, it didn’t go bad. Of course I would’ve liked to finish the full race, but there was really too much water. I think the decision to stop was correct because in these conditions, the bikes can aquaplane and you can go down in any corner.”

Vittoriano Guareschi, Team Manager
    “It was certainly a strange Sunday, with conditions that we hadn’t ridden in the whole weekend. We started with the tyres as an unknown and opted for the hard rain, which in the end turned out to be a good choice. Both Nicky and Vale were very good because they brought home a good haul of points in an extremely difficult situation that cost many others. Our bike performs very well in wet conditions, and both riders took good advantage of that.”

Pedrosa brings title within reach in thrilling rain-hit Malaysia race
    Sunday, 21 October 2012

In a dramatic race hit by torrential rain and a raft of crashes at the Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix in Sepang it was Repsol Honda Team’s Dani Pedrosa who put in a wet-weather master class to take the win ahead of Jorge Lorenzo and Casey Stoner.
    In a race that was declared wet from the start, it was Yamaha Factory Racing’s Lorenzo who got the holeshot ahead of Pedrosa. Ducati Team’s Valentino Rossi got a good start from 11th to move into fourth within the first lap. Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Andrea Dovizioso, who had a bad start, was carving his way through the pack and soon got past Rossi into fourth to chase down Repsol Honda’s Casey Stoner in third.

Lorenzo, having opted for the softer option wet rear tyre, had a small margin over Pedrosa with 18 laps to go, who had the harder rear tyre. All Yamahas on the grid as well as Cardion AB Racing’s Karel Abraham had opted for the soft-rear, hard-front combination, with all others running with hards front and rear. A lap later however and Pedrosa was breathing down Lorenzo’s neck having closed the gap to a fraction of a second.

Further afield Stoner was leading a group, about five seconds off the leading duo, with Dovizioso, Rossi, LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl, Ducati Team’s Nicky Hayden, San Carlo Honda Gresini’s Álvaro Bautista and Tech 3’s Cal Crutchlow. With 12 laps remaining, Pedrosa was continuing to stick to Lorenzo’s rear wheel as the pair looked locked in a stalemate out on track. Further back on the same lap, Yamaha’s Bes Spies suffered a heavy crash out of tenth place, putting a premature end to his race. He was taken to the medical centre to check on a shoulder injury.

Rossi also dropped from behind Dovizioso back into ninth, as his teammate Hayden fought his way up to fifth. A lap further on and it was drama for Dovizioso as he also slid out of the race, which continued to be pummelled with rain. It was in the final turn of this lap that Pedrosa made a move stick on Lorenzo to take the lead just over the halfway point and the Repsol rider instantly looked more comfortable in front pulling a small gap. In the meantime, NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Colin Edwards retired with a mechanical option.

As the grid headed into lap nine there were further crashes in the final turn as Crutchlow slid off, followed almost instantly in the same place by Power Electronics Aspar’s Randy de Puniet. It was a crash strewn lap, with Bradl also losing the front of his satellite Honda, and Avintia Blusens’ Iván Silva also crashing out. Back on track Rossi looked in his element as he squeezed past Bautista into fifth. Things were also getting interesting at the front as Lorenzo was being not only dropped off by Pedrosa, but also being closed down by Stoner at a very quick rate.

The rain was coming down heavily with 15 laps left, and Lorenzo suffered a very scary moment, where he saved a near crash just seconds before the Red Flag was shown due to safety concerns. After much deliberating as to whether a re-start would be possible, conditions deteriorated, and the win was awarded to Pedrosa, with Lorenzo and Stoner completing the rostrum. This now puts Pedrosa within 23-points, less than one race-win, of title rival Lorenzo, with 50-points still up for grabs in the final two races. Hayden recorded a fantastic fourth, ahead of Rossi, Bautista, Barberá, De Puniet’s teammate Espargaró, Paul Bird Motorsport’s James Ellison and Abraham.

Forgot all about the Moto GP race yesterday.

Good race??

Not a classic! Lorenzo and Pedrosa sped off into the distance as per usual - Stoner was catching the pair of them towards the end, but once there was a red flag that was that.
    Lorenzo also had to make a massive save of the bike when the rain got really bad; amazed he got away with it.
    Forza Jules

Thanks Suzie, i look up that Lorenzo save in abit. Vale sounds had good ride.

MotoGP 2012 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Thanks Suzie, i look up that Lorenzo save in abit. Vale sounds had good ride.
    Vale was up in fifth from 11th but fell back four places with a mistake that wasn't broadcast (or mentioned). Then with a few falls, he moved back up. Could've been fourth for him.

Jorge WC.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Congrats Jorge...

Stoners bows out on a high with successive six at Phillip Island
    Sunday, 28 October 2012

Repsol Honda Team’s Casey Stoner rode a flawless race today as he romped to his sixth successive victory at his home track at this weekend’s AirAsia Australian Grand Prix.
    Fans came out in droves to say farewell to Stoner with a record attendance at the popular track. And despite not making the best start, Stoner was in the lead within three laps and dominated until the chequered flag. This was his fifth win of the 2012 season and the 45th of his career, with 38 of them in MotoGP.

Casey Stoner

"It was very important for me to win a race before the end of the season and I'm really happy to do it here, at home, in front of the huge crowd. My biggest worry was to be fit again and competitive for this race, but we managed it and we had something over everyone else and this was the perfect way to say goodbye here. I was pretty nervous going into the race but the conditions were fantastic for a Phillip Island race! When I knew I only had a few laps left and a big lead, I was watching the crowd and it was fantastic to see everyone cheering me on, it made me very proud to be Australian. My biggest congratulations to Jorge, he's ridden an almost perfect season finishing 1st or 2nd when possible and I'm just disappointed not to be in the championship fight, but I made my own mistakes and this is how things go. My condolences to Dani - I saw him crash out in front of me - but he had to push today and go out and win the race to keep his championship hopes alive. It was a small mistake, easy to do in this corner and I feel very sorry for him. Thanks to everyone for coming down and showing their support!"

Just a shame he i retiring end of the year.

Yamaha Management reacts to Lorenzo’s title
    Sunday, 28 October 2012

After Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jorge Lorenzo clinched the world title today in Australia, Yamaha’s top management were quick to congratulate.
    Mr. Hiroyuki Yanagi, President of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.

"I want to convey my heartfelt congratulations to Jorge Lorenzo for clinching the 2012 MotoGP Championship title at the Australian GP with one round still remaining in the season. I would also like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to all the fans, the sponsors and other people involved who have supported Jorge and the Team. This championship title has value that goes above and beyond the great achievement of a second MotoGP title for Jorge Lorenzo. This was the first season under the new 1000cc regulation and, in that sense, made for a new and greater challenge for all of the riders and teams competing. I believe winning the title in such a new realm was made possible thanks to the combined strength of the riders, the machine and the team’s management.
Let me say that I am very proud to have a rider like Jorge Lorenzo, who continues to adapt and grow steadily with such success, as a member of the Yamaha family. I look forward to his achievements in the 2013 season to come."

Masahiko Nakajima, General Manager Motorsport Development Division, Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd

“I am very happy to be able to congratulate Jorge Lorenzo for taking his second premier class MotoGP World Championship title with Yamaha whilst still in Phillip Island and with one round remaining.
This would not have been possible without the hard work of the Team, YMC MotoGP Group and all Yamaha Motor Racing staff so I have to thank them all for their efforts.
All of us at Yamaha are proud to have witnessed his performance from the beginning of the season to now, always pushing at the front and fighting to this point to become 2012 World Champion.
This season’s results add to his already successful career with Yamaha, I believe we can look forward to more success in Valencia in two weeks time.”

Lin Jarvis, Managing Director, Yamaha Motor Racing

"I congratulate Jorge on his second MotoGP World Championship title with Yamaha. He has been faultless all season. To be able to achieve 1st or 2nd in every race he finished is an extraordinary performance of a dedicated perfectionist and a true champion.
To be able to produce these performances Jorge relies upon the support of a huge network of people. I would like to give my thanks and congratulations to the Yamaha Motor group, all Yamaha Factory Racing Team staff, our technical partners & suppliers, our sponsors, and also to Jorge’s personal staff. Without the efforts of all of these people this fantastic result would not have been possible.
Having won the championship with one race to spare we go to Valencia to try to crown this already excellent season with a race victory in front of his home fans and to enjoy a much deserved celebration all together."

Pedrosa crashed out on the second lap in a race he was pushing to win, despite the incredible domination his teammate Casey showed throughout the weekend. The Spaniard had taken the lead on the first lap, overtaking Jorge Lorenzo in Turn 4, and in that same turn, a lap later, he lost the front and his race and title hopes were over.

Dani Pedrosa

"It's a sad feeling more than disappointment; I pushed as hard as I could; I did what I had to do and I have no regrets for my riding, especially this season. I feel very proud of my team and of my performance throughout the year. I think after what happened in Misano, we showed a very good attitude, skill and power. So, there is some sadness because we've been closer than ever to take the title, but also proud for all we achieved. Concerning the crash, it was nothing strange; I just went wider on the corner, I had some chatter and lost the front; maybe the tyre was not warm enough as well, but it's like it is. Congratulations to Casey for his sixth win at his home Grand Prix and to Lorenzo because he deserved the championship, as well as Marc Márquez in Moto2.”

Anyone else looking forward to seeing how Marquez does in MotoGP next year?

Got bored after few laps started watching F1 2008 review and Lorenzo out, what happened? Like see Casey on podium today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Got bored after few laps started watching F1 2008 review and Lorenzo out, what happened? Like see Casey on podium today.
    You should've kept watching! Bradl went out, then Jorge and Cal was looking good for second but then he ended up in the gravel as well. Gutted.
    Casey got past Bautista to snatch 3rd. Great performance from Dani - both he and Jorge have been fantastic this season but I'd have given the WDC to Dani, to be honest - only by the tiniest margin mind you.
    Forza Jules

You should've kept watching! Bradl went out, then Jorge and Cal was looking good for second but then he ended up in the gravel as well. Gutted.
    Casey got past Bautista to snatch 3rd. Great performance from Dani - both he and Jorge have been fantastic this season but I'd have given the WDC to Dani, to be honest - only by the tiniest margin mind you.

Team Spain have been brilliant all season, so few mistakes from either of them. Incredible form they have had.

I did turn back to it with 12 laps left i think it was. Felt for Cal in strong 2nd and the front just went under braking. Been good season.

Rossi reunited with Yamaha... Don't miss it!
    Valentino Rossi was spotted getting reacquainted with Yamaha on Monday, on the eve of his first test with the 1000cc Yamaha YZR-M1 at Valencia. Follow his comeback with Yamaha live on motogp.com on Tuesday morning from 10.30 local time!