Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

I don't think that the DRS is our problem. It might be one of the problems, but certainly not the biggest problem. In my view, our DRS system has been working just fine. It's the lack of downforce that's keeping us down. The way both our drivers were slip 'n sliding in India shows exactly our deficiencies in the downforce department. When you compare our car's on-track behaviour to RB's then the difference is just huge. RB's car looks exactly like it's driving on rails, no twitching and no unnecessary corrections needed while driving it. Everything is just so smooth and effortless. And that's exactly where we lose the most time compared to them. Getting some extra downforce on our car is absolutely essential.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi_kaka View Post
    Or does it also mean that in order not to lose out in terms of straight-line speed, the team runs a smaller angle at the rear wing, which affects the downforce hence generated?

If DRS is working effectively with 10 kph gain, we can run the rear wing at a deeper angle to increase rear end downforce hence improve cornering performance.
    I think that is exactly the point. If they can get a more efficient DRS system then they can run higher downforce and still benefit at the top end from the DRS. Even better, with more downforce setup they can use the DRS on more of the track during qualy to gain those few tenths.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    I don't know if Ferrari would wish to remove downforce if downforce was available, even to reach a higher top speed. Less downforce = less grip = more tyre wear. And then we get into the realms of drag if we run a greater angle on the rear wing. And I don't know what any of this means anymore Whatever updates we bring, I hope we edge a little close to the competition.
    that's wrong less downforce means less tyre wear if the balance of the car is good.you often hear that cars with low downforce stress their tyres more but that has to do with either over/understeer or both.less downfoce=less speed in to the corner=less load on the tyres

I have been reading that there will be another minor upgrade for abu dhabi this weekend, with a further upgrade scheduled for usa. I am praying that Mclaren can start to help us a bit by getting in the mix with red bulls on days where Fernando is unable to fight for victory. But what i want to know is more about the red bull upgrades that seem to have gained them like 1 second per lap. Something is telling me that they are up to no good!

Forza Ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by cokata View Post
    that's wrong less downforce means less tyre wear if the balance of the car is good.you often hear that cars with low downforce stress their tyres more but that has to do with either over/understeer or both.less downfoce=less speed in to the corner=less load on the tyres
    I think Rossa Corsa is right, less downforce means the cars have much more lateral movement through corners, and use much more mechanical grip from the tires which creates lots of tire wear, more downforce means the car is more planted and there is far less lateral movement hence less tire wear...
    Same as one car following another, the car in front relies much more on aero grip hence is much more gentle on tires, the car following has much less aero grip so has to rely on the mechanical grip of the tires hence the following car will have a higher tire wear...

lets hope the F2012 handles like this in Dubai

The wing can only be part of an over all solution.

More down force = more drag = slower speeds but less tyre wear.

Less down force = less drag = higher speeds but more tyre wear as the tyres scrub over the surface of the track when conering.

Therefore if more down force is created for cornering then there needs to be better airflow around the car to reduce the drag when on the straights.

The Aero boys and girls in this racing format really earn their pay sorting out the gains and losses depending on the circumstances required for each track layout.

Bet they consume a lot of head ache pills
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by cokata View Post
    Wrong... more downforce = less tyre wear... you will get less wheel spin and less skidding like what happens with the ferrari sometimes... Bear in mind that the tyre compound play a large role in their as well.

What is this? sensors?

d12abu523.jpg

Yes, they look like sensors. Looks like a new diffuser too. EDIT - Actually, it looks like the diffuser Alonso ran with in India.

Abu Dhabi

India

Alonso went into a little more depth about Ferrari's preparations this weekend, but stopped short of naming exactly what the updates would be.

"The changes have been mainly for set-up work and adaptation to the circuit. Abu Dhabi is quite different to India, especially with the last sector being so complicated and demanding for the car. There are also some new parts arriving from Italy to improve the performance but, as I said, you cannot change the car from black to white in just five days."
    Maybe they have brought updates to improve the car in slow corner..
    I Will End My Career At Ferrari...

Maybe a hole?:

Last edited by Hombre B; 2nd November 2012 at 07:10.

i guess, its just different angle of view, they still looks the same exhaust

Mai Dare Sulla Speranza, Forza Ferrari!!

https://twitter.com/ianparkesf1

Ferrari clearly pushing to the limit as for first time this season they broke the curfew last night which started at 4am. Ouch! Late one!

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    New parts from Maranello finally arrived... :)

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    New parts from Maranello finally arrived... :)
    are u sure?

Well if its not that than its some big trouble cos you dont open your garage at 4 AM unless you're drunk, have some new parts or are in trouble :)

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    Well if its not that than its some big trouble cos you dont open your garage at 4 AM unless you're drunk, have some new parts or are in trouble :)
    just hope the former

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    breaking the curfew could mean that either Ferrari had to make some important changes to the car or fitting newly arrived updates to the car..

Maybe we will get some very visual updates and they didnt want their opponents to see it untill FP...

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    breaking the curfew could mean that either Ferrari had to make some important changes to the car or fitting newly arrived updates to the car..
    Does breaking the curfew before the FP and/or Quali result in a penalty?
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Does breaking the curfew before the FP and/or Quali result in a penalty?
    No. You can break it I think 3 times per season without a punishment.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Oh cool, thanks for the clarification :)
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Oh cool, thanks for the clarification :)
    Glad to help, only think I am not sure of is the number, but it certainly is OK to break it once

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Glad to help, only think I am not sure of is the number, but it certainly is OK to break it once
    its 4 times a season..

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1

Gary Anderson reports Ferrari have a new front wing with 6 elements on other outer span #bbcf1

EDIT: The end plate looks like the one tested in Germany but it is different. The upper cascades look like older version. Looking forward to see the FW from other angle.
    Last edited by wacc; 2nd November 2012 at 09:21.

6 element FW, similar to germany:

EDIT:
    6 element wing from Germany is much more different. The main plane is now divided into 1+3 sections and the flap has further 2 sections. The germany version has 3 in the main plane and 3 section in the flap. Also the shape of the side is different. It is much more sharper. The leading edge of the main plane is also different.
    Germany FW:

Last edited by wacc; 2nd November 2012 at 13:10.

Can anyone tell me what updates Ferrari have brought to the rear of the car, maybe some details of the rear wing, Thanks.

Source : Auto-motor-und-sport.de

Fernando was testing : new frontwing with old rear wing.
    Felipe was testing : old frontwing with new rear wing.