Thread: Teams could choose their own tires after 2012

Teams could choose their own tires after 2012

Pirelli could allow teams to choose their own tyre compounds ahead of race weekends from 2013 onwards.

The Italian tyre manufacturer currently determines the two compounds that would be used for each Grand Prix but that decision may be handed to the teams in the future.

“These conversations are geared towards 2013 and we may let the teams choose compounds, but these are just discussion points,” said Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery.

“We received a memo from the drivers only, asking us to review the tyre allocation because at the end of each race the drivers still have a set of unused tyres – usually the harder of the two compounds,” he explained.

Red Bull’s Mark Webber is open to the idea but believes choosing tyres in advance could be difficult.

“It would not be easy to pick (the tyres) a month before, in terms of allocation and what specific venues might need,” said the Australian.

“But, yeah, not a stupid idea but obviously it needs a bit more thought to see how it would work over the course of a full season, and obviously for the lead teams to make the decision.”

Pirelli are currently designing new faster compounds for 2012 including a new rear and wet weather tyre but Hembery says there won’t be any major changes next year.

“We’re researching new compounds that could improve lap times by as much as 1.2s per lap, but that’s too much. We’re looking for a maximum improvement of 0.6s to 0.8s per lap and to meet that we’ve designed a new rear tyre.”

The colour of the markings, which distinguish one tyre from the other, may also be changed from next year to help increase visibility for spectators.

Please do not post all caps titles. Thanks

-TSN MOD

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

So then could it be that the push rod will be back on the 2013 car? might be the better option if Ferrari can always choose soft and super soft?
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So then could it be that the push rod will be back on the 2013 car? might be the better option if Ferrari can always choose soft and super soft?
    Not sure if Ron Dennis and Max Mosely will be willing, though

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Please do not post all caps titles. Thanks

-TSN MOD

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari_Fanatic View Post

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Whats the relation between pull/push design and the tire compound anyway?

Not sure if Ron Dennis and Max Mosely will be willing, though
    Oh..tires

Nevermind

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Whats the relation between pull/push design and the tire compound anyway?
    I was under the impression that Ferrari went with the push rod because they figured they would be smoother on the tyres and therefore not have as much tyre degredation therefore giving them more speed as the race went on.... whereas the pull rod was supposed to heat the tyres quicker but eat the tyres up faster.... I haven't been following suspension geometry very closely though lol as I've grown quite fed up of the incessant rule changes.... the mechanical details as to how that works is also beyond my realm of understanding lol.....
    Last edited by Tony; 14th September 2011 at 20:07.

Oh..tires

Nevermind
    LOL

Well, good. Teams should be allowed to pick what tyres they want to use over race weekend. Do it for next year.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I was under the impression that Ferrari went with the push rod because they figured they would be smoother on the tyres and therefore not have as much tyre degredation therefore giving them more speed as the race went on.... whereas the pull rod was supposed to heat the tyres quicker but eat the tyres up faster.... I haven't been following suspension geometry very closely though lol as I've grown quite fed up of the incessant rule changes.... the mechanical details as to how that works is also beyond my realm of understanding lol.....
    Ah, I see. Thanks

I don't know myself what's the real difference between them, only that people have been saying Red Bull are using it successfully.