Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massa told to 'stay calm' and 'improve his consistency'

Massa told to 'stay calm' and 'improve his consistency'

Stefano Domenicali has stressed that Felipe Massa must 'stay calm' and 'improve a bit in terms of his consistency in the races' in order to satisfy Ferrari's requirements of him – although he did hint that regardless of his results, the Brazilian's days at Maranello could ultimately be numbered.

To-date in F1 2011, Massa has tallied just 70 points to team-mate Fernando Alonso's 145 and has failed to take the chequered flag any higher than fifth – and it was not until the Hungaroring just over a week ago that he finally succeeded in out-qualifying the Spaniard for the first time this season.

Whilst reiterating that the 30-year-old is not in any danger of losing his seat in 2012 – despite persistent speculation linking the likes of Mark Webber, Jenson Button and the injured Robert Kubica to the cockpit of the #6 scarlet machine – Domenicali concedes that the 2008 F1 World Championship runner-up does need to further raise his game to help Ferrari accomplish its objectives.

“I have seen that he was clearly on the up in the last three races, and I am sure he will do very well in the second part of the year,” the Scuderia's team principal mused during the summer Wrooom event at Madonna di Campiglio in the Italian Dolomites. “Felipe has to stay calm and make the most of his talents, of which there are many.

“He is a very quick driver over a single lap, but maybe he needs to improve a bit in terms of his consistency in the races. It is definitely not easy being paired with someone like Fernando, but that should be a motivation for him, not an excuse. For us, it is vital for Felipe to be on top of his game, given that for at least another year-and-a-half, he is one of our drivers.”

Although that appears to assure Massa of his short-term future at Ferrari, the longer-term remains distinctly cloudy. After again mulling over the prospect of McLaren-Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton one day jumping ship to join the Prancing Horse, Domenicali went on to confess that the most likely strategy would be to partner Alonso with a young up-and-coming talent – ideally a member of the Ferrari Driver Academy such as current Sauber rookie Sergio Pérez, or GP2 Series ace Jules Bianchi.

“I am pleased he said, 'never say never' on the subject of Ferrari,” the Italian remarked of Hamilton. “In fact, it is logical that everyone aspires to come to Maranello sooner or later, given what we represent in the history of this sport. Having said that, I don't think the question will arise, neither in the short nor in the long-term.

“For the Ferrari of the future, I believe the right combination is to have one well-established driver with great experience, alongside a talented youngster on the way up. I do not think that, with the pressure we are under, we can consider having two youngsters in the team at the same time.”

“I am very happy to have Felipe as a team-mate and we work very well together,” added Alonso, contracted to Ferrari until at least the end of 2016. “If the day arrives when someone else was to come here, that would not be a problem for me – even if it was Hamilton.”

Is it just me or does it look like Stefano Domenicali want to get rid of Massa ?
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

Just you. At least I hope so.

Forza Jules

Massa will come good

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Domenicali
    For the Ferrari of the future, I believe the right combination is to have one well-established driver with great experience, alongside a talented youngster on the way up. I do not think that, with the pressure we are under, we can consider having two youngsters in the team at the same time.
    This sounds like a subtle way of saying Massa's current contract won't be extended, so we'll have a new Ferrari driver in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    This sounds like a subtle way of saying Massa's current contract won't be extended, so we'll have a new Ferrari driver in 2013.
    +1, unless he really comes through in 2012
    his future will depend totally on his performance in 2012, otherwise we'll see a youngster like jules bianchi along side Fernando
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

I think Luca di Montezemolo takes the decisions so what Domenicali says doesn't really matter. He could be out first.

Quote Originally Posted by justjesper View Post
    Is it just me or does it look like Stefano Domenicali want to get rid of Massa ?
    No it isn't, lol. See here's the thing.

Massa has a contract until next year, and Luca D has made it clear that that contract stays. So no one will be getting rid of Massa. Once that contract ends, then it just ends like any other contract. Massa would be free of any contractual bonding to any team, and that's that.

After that, Ferrari may or may not sign a new contract with Massa, if they do, its a new contract, but if they don't, its not Massa being kicked out because technically, he is a free driver after 2012. Massa will be free to decide what other teams who may be making offers to him that he should go to.

I don't think Ferrari is making any ultimatum to Massa. Ferrari have their own plans for the future, if they wants to continue having another experienced driver, then Massa is the logical choice. But if they wants to change their approach by having a new young talent, then obviously its not Massa, its not Lewis or Vettel. It would have to be someone younger than them, someone that's actually new and fresh. So its not to say Ferrari no longer wants Massa, but rather they need someone to fit the criteria of their new approach and you only have so many seats available.

I know that he has a contract, but I do not know if it is Massa that do not wanna be in the spot light or Ferrari that doesn't what him in it. But I hardly hear anything about him or it is bad. And when it comes from the team... makes you think.

I know that he has a contract, but I do not know if it is Massa that do not wanna be in the spot light or Ferrari that doesn't what him in it. But I hardly hear anything about him or it is bad. And when it comes from the team... makes you think.
    Felipe will come good. Wait and see but he might want to work for a team where he has a chance at the WDC again.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    +1, unless he really comes through in 2012
    his future will depend totally on his performance in 2012, otherwise we'll see a youngster like jules bianchi along side Fernando
    I agree with that.

As for the youngster, it has to be Sergio Perez. I can't see Ferrari hiring a complete rookie (which Bianchi will be).

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Felipe will come good. Wait and see but he might want to work for a team where he has a chance at the WDC again.
    So Ferrari is not good enough for Felipe now? charming....or are you saying he is not allowed to race Alonso? even though Massa himself admits his performances have not been good?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    So Ferrari is not good enough for Felipe now? charming....or are you saying he is not allowed to race Alonso? even though Massa himself admits his performances have not been good?
    Neither actually!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Edit but he might want to work for a team where he could be lead driver and therefore have more chance of fighting for a WDC again. I know what I mean't.

You may say he has more chance at Ferrari than ANother. I think Felipe has lost confidence and may need a change. Just my humble opinion no more sinister than that!!!!

Forza Jules

Agree. It's better for him to leave if things doesn't get better in 2012. But I believe they will.

Good luck to him finding another title challenging team then

I doubt he has lost any confidence, and I doubt he wants to take a massive step down, which going to any other team would be
    Forza Ferrari

You never know Did any of us think Brawn would take the championship. I think no one would had thought that. I for sure didn't.
    I think racingbradley and F2008 are right. Felipe would have a hard time getting a chance at Ferrari. It is clear that Ferrari is fully behind Alonso.

Sadly, It has been clear for some time for me. And out of pure passion for Felipe I also think it's time for him look elsewhere after next year.

This is no critic of Ferrari or Alonso. As they seem to be enjoying each others company. And that is great for them.

You never know Did any of us think Brawn would take the championship. I think no one would had thought that. I for sure didn't.
    I think racingbradley and F2008 are right. Felipe would have a hard time getting a chance at Ferrari. It is clear that Ferrari is fully behind Alonso.

Sadly, It has been clear for some time for me. And out of pure passion for Felipe I also think it's time for him look elsewhere after next year.

This is no critic of Ferrari or Alonso. As they seem to be enjoying each others company. And that is great for them.
    Maybe a lot was lost in translation, mate--but you just said, and not with a little bitterness (it would seem), that Ferrari have essentially screwed Massa over and that the only way Felipe will have success is with another team. Is this accurate?

If he thinks he can win a title with HRT or Virgin then by all means he should leave us and go for it for sure If he really has no chance at Ferrari and he is ambitious to win the title then why is he staying another year before leaving?

Seems like we have gone full circle with Massa fans now claiming Ferrari do not give him a chance, just like the Kimi fans said in 2008 and 2009.....weird that
    Forza Ferrari

You don't understand Greig. Currently he has no chance at Ferrari because Alonso is simply too good. So the only option to ever win a championship would be elsewhere. But he shoudn't give up after only 2 years with Alonso and he still has a contract.

Barrichello was beaten by Schumacher for 6 years in a row, but got his best chance at winning a title after he left Ferrari.

I would imagine that the above posts are just observations not criticisms!!!! mine certainly was
    None of us know what goes on inside Ferrari and Felipe is probably just as happy as when he first donned red. We don't know.
    All we do know is that he has arguably the best driver in F1 as his teammate and I think what we are trying to say is that his chances against Alonso are slim. I agree it makes sound sense to back your strongest player!!!!!
    Maybe he's happy to push hard all weekend and have no2 status.
    I do not think for one moment that there was an animosity in any of the above posts.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by F2008 View Post
    You don't understand Greig. Currently he has no chance at Ferrari because Alonso is simply too good. So the only option to ever win a championship would be elsewhere. But he shoudn't give up after only 2 years with Alonso and he still has a contract.

Barrichello was beaten by Schumacher for 6 years in a row, but got his best chance at winning a title after he left Ferrari.
    Brawn was a freak season, I don't see anything like that happening again, certainly not something Felipe or his fans should be assuming will happen, even with Rubens, he still got beat anyway I imagine Felipe certainly does not feel that Alonso is too good, MS was not too good for Massa and neither was Kimi.

But if he does feel that way then really he is defeated before a wheel is turned and he would be better to leave Ferrari as you fans of him suggest, which IMO would be a massive mistake for him and he will never have a better chance of winning races and titles.

From all I have read it seems Ferrari are still happy with Felipe as the driver, but if Felipe is really unhappy at Ferrari then he should make it known to them as an unhappy driver really is not going to work, and I am sure his contract would not be a issue just as the Kimi contract was not an issue.
    Forza Ferrari

From all I have read it seems Ferrari are still happy with Felipe as the driver.
    You are probably right and it's just the starvation of an F1 fix on a Sunday afternoon that gets the mind wandering!!!!!!
    I'm sure by Friday morning all these musings will be forgotten.

Forza Jules

Brawn was a freak season, I don't see anything like that happening again, certainly not something Felipe or his fans should be assuming will happen, even with Rubens, he still got beat anyway I imagine Felipe certainly does not feel that Alonso is too good, MS was not too good for Massa and neither was Kimi.

But if he does feel that way then really he is defeated before a wheel is turned and he would be better to leave Ferrari as you fans of him suggest, which IMO would be a massive mistake for him and he will never have a better chance of winning races and titles.

From all I have read it seems Ferrari are still happy with Felipe as the driver, but if Felipe is really unhappy at Ferrari then he should make it known to them as an unhappy driver really is not going to work, and I am sure his contract would not be a issue just as the Kimi contract was not an issue.
    I always keep in mind that if Hamilton could match Alonso, Massa should be able to do the same

Massa told to 'stay calm' and 'improve his consistency' = stay calm its not your fault Alonso goes faster even driving straight. Improve your consistency to get more WCC points for the team. If not your out.

Quote Originally Posted by F2007 View Post
    Massa told to 'stay calm' and 'improve his consistency' = stay calm its not your fault Alonso goes faster even driving straight. Improve your consistency to get more WCC points for the team. If not your out.

They got rid of Kimi because he was slower than Massa
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

What I wrote was : "This is no critic of Ferrari or Alonso. As they seem to be enjoying each others company. And that is great for them."
    There was nothing saying that Ferrari screwed any one over. I might not have been clear to you, but Your making up your own story now.

If he thinks he can win a title with HRT or Virgin then by all means he should leave us and go for it for sure If he really has no chance at Ferrari and he is ambitious to win the title then why is he staying another year before leaving?

Seems like we have gone full circle with Massa fans now claiming Ferrari do not give him a chance, just like the Kimi fans said in 2008 and 2009.....weird that
    First of all I think Massa can get a much better seat then at HRT or Virgin. But that is only my opinion
    Second of, No one here is saying that Ferrari is not giving him a chance. We are nearly looking at what is going on and reflecting on it.
    Massa needs to just get in there, on and off the track. I will take a lot from him to get thru and might be easier in a new team to Blossom.

In other words, at least for me, it looks like Felipe is not enjoying him self that much atm.

To beat Ferrari he would need to be no1 at Red Bull or McLaren, and in the nicest possible way I do not see either of them offering Massa that role, if he really is not happy at Ferrari then he would leave I guess, seems you are just guessing really
    Forza Ferrari

Ferrari, Red Bull, and McLaren pretty much have the front row locked down. In terms of driver's standing, they've pretty much secure the top six, just look at the results.

Ferrari is Massa's best chance at getting good result, unless he can secure a seat at RB or McLaren, which at the moment seems unlikely. If Massa were to leave Ferrari, he will be out of the top 6 with any other team.

Merc, Renault, these teams have their own good aspects, but they never get it together, and more importantly, they do not have the resources or capabilities to keep up with the top team as the season progresses. They only show some promise at the start, but they quickly gets left behind as the season progresses. And this is something nobody should be surprised about.

I think Massa knows this and he's perfectly fine at Ferrari, this is his chance to do well and rather than wishing he was elsewhere, I think Massa would rather focus on this and next year.

To beat Ferrari he would need to be no1 at Red Bull or McLaren, and in the nicest possible way I do not see either of them offering Massa that role
    No, me neither, and my feelings about Felipe are pretty clear!

I doubt he's unhappy given that he's driving for the best team, Ferrari was his dream and he has achieved that. I would never think that Ferrari aren't giving him 'a chance'. Rob was on the radio at the weekend and said the whole thing about a team building a car specifically for one driver was a myth - the bottom line is that a team simply has to make a car that is FAST, period. At the end of the day if Felipe wants a chance at the WDC then Ferrari would gladly give him it I'm sure, if he was beating Fernando.

But even if he is unhappy I'd hate for him to leave - I'm greedy and I like my favourite driver driving for my favourite team thanks very much. Felipe without Ferrari and Ferrari without Felipe would make me like both a little bit less I think.

To be honest, I do expect 2012 to be his last season with us. I'm assuming a younger driver like Perez will replace him and Felipe will go to a midfield team. I really don't ever see him at Red Bull or McLaren. I will be absolutely gutted but he will have had 7 seasons in a Ferrari race seat by the end of next year and that's a pretty good innings for someone who so many people think is crap.

(When it happens I will in no way be this philosophical about it.)
    Forza Jules

I doubt his points is representative of his skills.

No way he's not even half as good as Alonso.