Thread: Interview on Globosporte.com

Interview on Globosporte.com

here is an interview from GLOBOSPORTE.com. (translated with google-translator so not very accurate). No important, exciting new news in it but, sorry.

The pressure, he says, was always there. Felipe Massa, however, admits that need further effort to make a comeback after a difficult season in 2010. Before leaving for Melbourne, Australia, site of the premiere in 2011, next week, the Ferrari driver answered some questions from the Brazilian press by e-mail. His biggest concern is, once again, with the tires. Massa says that with the new rubberized Pirelli, the crowd will certainly see a different Formula 1 this year.

- It is true that we see quite different from those races last year because tire wear is even more pronounced and increased grip on the first lap, which somehow I do not like taking into account the difficulties encountered in 2010, primarily with the front.

Still, Massa is confident. The Brazilian says it is ready, just as Ferrari, to fight for the title in 2011, while recognizing the favoritism of the RBR and the defending champion, Sebastian Vettel.
    - I know that things have not worked so well last year as we wanted, both the team and I, and we should improve in 2011. One certainty is that we will do everything to make it happen.

GLOBOESPORTE.COM: What we can already say the new tires and rules for 2011?
    Felipe Massa: The main novelty of 2011 is the new Pirelli tires. It is true that we see quite different from those races last year because tire wear is even more pronounced and increased grip on the first lap, which somehow I do not like taking into account the difficulties encountered in 2010, primarily with the front . For teams and drivers, the task is clear: we must adapt as quickly as possible to the new situation. As for the technical regulation, the biggest news is that moving the rear wing, coupled with the return of KERS should encourage overtaking. Until now we could only try it in testing, so never in race conditions. In Melbourne we will see how it behaves.

You always admitted the difficulty of properly heating the front tires last year. The new compound Pirelli confirmed its expectation? You expect to be more aggressive in qualifying?
    From what we've seen so far, do not believe that to regain the difficulties of last season.

You have claimed to feel more comfortable to attack with the new Pirelli tires, which compounds are softer than the Bridgestones last year. How to manage a more aggressive style of driving the rapid degradation of tires, especially with the softer version? Is that possible?
    This will be the key to the season, but we must differentiate between qualifying and the race. In the qualifying time will come in the first round, while the test will need to carefully manage the tires carefully.

Do you think the steering wheel equipped with several new buttons will further complicate the lives of pilots? Some pilots have warned of the increased risk of accidents. Do you agree with them? Because this can interfere with the races?
    I do not believe that changes in relation to what we were accustomed. When the machine was released we had to perform various functions with the steering wheel during a turn. Even last year, for example, had a flap front and moving the air ducts. As always, it's just a matter of habit.

Team orders are released from now. What is your opinion on this issue?
    The FIA ​​took a logical decision. Formula 1 is a team sport and internal orders have always been part of the history of the category.

Fernando Alonso may be considered the pilot hardest you've faced in the wings?
    I always had very strong teammates. Just remember that ran alongside four world champions: Alonso, Schumacher, Raikkonen and Villeneuve. Not to mention the qualities of Alonso because everybody knows.

What are your impressions of the new Ferrari 150 of Italy?
    We had a good preparation, testing everything that was planned. The car seems competitive, but I think it's impossible to say where we are in comparison with others. RBR seems to be very, Mercedes has evolved in the last test in Barcelona, ​​but we should not underestimate or dismiss McLaren a possible surprise, Renault and Williams.

There's Brazilian rookie in 2011 and to make matters worse, the country lost Bruno Senna, currently only a test pilot, and Lucas di Grassi. You think the small teams have become a business desk and it would be better if the big teams could line up with three cars, a view echoed by Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo? Do you really believe that Brazil will not have drivers in Formula 1 in the short or medium term, when you are retired and Barrichello?
    Surely, the possibility of a third Ferrari or McLaren - administered by another team, this is the proposal of President Montezemolo - would allow the smaller teams have a more competitive car without such heavy investment and attract sponsors. In this case, there would be no need for pilots who took money for the team. That goes for everyone, not just for Brazilians. Lucas is not running this year because he could not cash, which is a shame.

Like other sports, Formula 1 has connections and deals with countries where there is democracy and freedom of the press - China and Bahrain are good examples. Do you think the pilots should stand on these issues and press against Bernie Ecclestone races in countries with shady political regimes?
    I believe that major sporting events and sports in general can contribute to improving conditions in some countries and make them more open. I do not think it is right to say "we should not run here or there because they like it or that this or that country," because we can start a series of distortions and just finished running at home.

Most teams, it seems that all great, run with KERS and adjustable rear wings may also make a difference. Finally, we will have more overtaking in 2011?
    Yes, not only because of KERS and moving the rear wing. What could possibly facilitate overtaking will be mostly the difference in revenue from tires.

After everything that happened to you in 2010, believes that the season starts will be more important than the last?
    For me, every season since I started the race, have always been key. I never faced any of them as a break. I know that things have not worked so well last year as we wanted, both the team and I, and we should improve in 2011. One certainty is that we will do everything to make it happen.

Some pilots think that the greatest number of pit stops at races is not good for the big teams. Do you agree? More pit stops really reduce the advantage of them at the same time that the strategy will be highlighted?
    The increase of pit stops can even cause a few surprises and, of course, will favor the smaller teams that maybe can meet that condition of having nothing to lose and cause something unexpected.

RBR shined in the preseason, but other teams such as Mercedes and even STR, left a good impression. Who will be in contention for victory in Melbourne?
    The RBR is the defending champion, was very well in winter testing and is clearly the favorite. Then comes a group of teams - us, McLaren, Mercedes, Renault - very strong and do not discount nor a surprise that can come from Williams or STR. Who knows? We'll find out in Melbourne, but to have a clearer picture we need to wait at least the first three steps.

Sebastian Vettel showed you how strong contender for the title. You see yourself as a favorite? Who would include a list of potential champions in 2011?
    All riders of the big teams are able to fight for the title. But, as always, the defending champion, kept in a top team has to be the betting favorite.

Five winners - Schumacher, Alonso, Button, Vettel and Hamilton - are on the grid, which makes 2011 a single season. This also means that it will be even harder for you?
    No, more than all previous ones.
    Stehaufmännchen Felipe - Never give up!

Thank you, Anni

Thanks for posting Anni---- a lovely read.

Forza Jules