Thread: Marlboro set to extend Ferrari deal

Big Grin Marlboro set to extend Ferrari deal

Marlboro is on the verge of extending its title sponsorship deals with both Ferrari and the Ducati MotoGP team, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The current deals run until the end of this season, but sources have revealed that negotiations are at an advanced stage for them to be renewed until the end of 2014.

It is possible that Ferrari's deal could be announced as early as its new car launch, which takes place in Maranello on January 28.

Although tobacco sponsorship had originally been expected to be eradicated from F1, and many countries ban the display of sponsorship logos, Marlboro has continued its high-profile association with both F1 and MotoGP.

A spokesman for Philip Morris, Marlboro's parent company, said that any new deal would be wholly within international law.

"We see no obstacles in the way of extension," said the spokesman. "Our relationship with Ferrari is a real partnership built over a period of over 20 years of constant, mutual support."

Last year Marlboro was forced to abandon its bar-code sponsorship design following suggestions it was a form of subliminal advertising. It has been replaced this year by an all new logo, which was sported by Ferrari personnel during last week's Wrooom media event.

Ferrari declined to comment on how close it was to a new deal, but suggested that there was no reason to believe a fresh sponsorship deal would not be agreed.

"All conditions (for extension) have been met," he said.

This year marks Marlboro's 40th season as an F1 team sponsor, with the brand having originally entered the sport with BRM in 1971.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88996

-----------

Great News!!!!
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Great news for sure! How they can get away with everyone knowing it's tobacco money not even disguised is beond me. Whatever the logo looks like, there saying it's Marlboro!

Quote Originally Posted by brembo man View Post
    Great news for sure! How they can get away with everyone knowing it's tobacco money not even disguised is beond me. Whatever the logo looks like, there saying it's Marlboro!
    Agreed with you! The new logo looks more Marlboro then ever
    Luigi only follow the Ferraris. Long live the Scuderia

Yeah. I think they are always keeping one step ahead of the litigation tbh. The bar codes (it was finally decided) were subliminal advertising. The white edged boxes they briefly replaced them with (it was quite quickly decided) were subliminal advertising. We can all see that the new logo is created to make you think of the top of a box of Marlboros but it will take time for someone to accuse them of that and force them to change it again. Value to Phillip Morris in the meantime though.

I know we get wads of cash from PM but at the end of the day we have to do as they say to get the wonga, regardless of how it dilutes our own brand image (seeing as we are now incorporated into theirs .)

I know it's the way it is but it doesn't mean we have to like it. In Ferrari logo terms (which it purports to be but which it is not) it's a poor design. It's weak and we could all think up more racy, passionate and strong Logos based on the Scudetto and/or the Ferrari font. However, this has nothing to do with selling fags so it's not really the goal. In conjuring up images of a fag packet subliminally however - it's EXCELLENT!

Forza Phillip Morris I guess

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

It is great news! I had heard this was going to happen, glad it is!
    President, Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver - The Official Passion
    http://www.scuderiaferrari.club
    denver@scuderiaferrari.club

They wouldn't have created the logo if it wasn't gonna happen i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    They wouldn't have created the logo if it wasn't gonna happen i guess
    no they wouldnt have. This is great news. Pleased about this, alot.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Good news, i think we get more than Mclarens 2007 fine from phillip morris every year

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Good news, i think we get more than Mclarens 2007 fine from phillip morris every year
    nice way of looking at it!

As long as tires are black and Ferrari car is red with white fragments on it, people will see Marlboro add there.