Thread: Abu Dhabi GP Ferrari news & quotes

Smile Abu Dhabi GP Ferrari news & quotes

Finally time to do the maths11.9.2010

Despite a difficult qualifying which left Fernando Alonso down on the third row of the grid in fifth place, the Spaniard produced another solid performance in Brazil on Sunday, to do what he has always said was required if he is to win the Drivers' championship and finished on the podium in third place. He has also been proved right in the statement he has stuck with for almost half a season now, namely that the maths would only be done at the very final race in Abu Dhabi. Now, just seven days on from the Sao Paolo race, that time has come and every member of Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro knows what it must do. "We must do the maximum we can," said Team Principal Stefano Domenicali before leaving Brazil. "It's clear that at this point we still haven't achieved the most difficult part of all but we will do everything that we can until the very end." Clearly, with only this final round in Abu Dhabi remaining, the maths that Fernando is so keen on are now simpler than ever, as a second place for the Spaniard on Sunday, whoever wins the race, will be enough to bring the Drivers' crown to Maranello. "What is clear is that, because we are leading, the others have to do more than us," reckoned Domenicali. "If we end up in the middle of the two Red Bulls it's clear that we will achieve the result we need. But as always, the key is to concentrate on our own efforts throughout the weekend and not worry about what the others are doing."

Last year in Abu Dhabi the Red Bulls were the dominant force, although by then, with no chance of taking the two titles which had already been assigned to the Brawn team and their driver Jenson Button, the Scuderia had ceased development on the 2009 car. "This time, clearly we have continued our development, so I'm convinced we'll be in there fighting," said Domenicali. "But let's not forget that Red Bull has won a lot this year and taken many pole positions and has already won the constructors championship. That proves they've worked better than anyone and they've made the quickest and most competitive car. But we are still there ready to fight at the last race for the drivers' championship." Indeed the Scuderia will be keen to shine this weekend, given that it has strong links with this part of the world, through its partnership with companies such as Mubadala and Etihad, while Yas Island is also home to the world's very first Ferrari theme park. Last year, it was very much still a building site, but now the spectacular attraction is ready for business.

Last year's inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was not a particularly easy weekend for the Scuderia, with Kimi Raikkonen finishing down in twelfth place while Giancarlo Fisichella was sixteenth. Felipe Massa will be making his debut here this year, as he missed the race in 2009, recuperating from his Budapest accident, although he was at the Yas Marina circuit as a spectator. The 5.554 kilometre circuit is certainly a spectacular venue and while Singapore can claim to host the sport's only night race, Abu Dhabi is home to Formula 1's only day-to-night race. The lights above the grid go out at 17h00 local time and as darkness falls around forty five minutes later, the artificial floodlights come on to illuminate the track. The circuit has several unique features, with the track passing underneath a hotel, while the pit lane exit is in a tunnel. Last year's race marked the end of an era in a couple of respects, as it was the final event to feature refuelling: Jarno Trulli had the "honour" of being the last driver to make an F1 refuelling stop when he came in on lap 42 of the 55 lap race and Abu Dhabi was also the final event to use the old scoring system, with just 10 points allocated to the winner.

The 2009 edition of this race also brought the curtain down on the season, but it was only the seventeenth round of the championship, whereas this year's second ever Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is the nineteenth time the twenty four cars have done battle. It has been a long and demanding season for everyone and this final leg has been particularly busy. The long trip from Brazil to the Middle East means that teams will have less time than usual to get set-up and ready for the first practice session on Friday. However, the facilities and working conditions - apart from the heat - are excellent in what is without doubt the most modern of any circuit in the world today. Those modern facilities will be much appreciated as the Yas Marina circuit will be home to the teams for a further week after the Grand Prix. The following Tuesday and Wednesday will see a "Young Driver Test Session" during which Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro's F10 will be driven by Jules Bianchi, the French youngster who is a student of the Ferrari Driver Academy and competed in GP2 this year. Then, on Friday and Saturday, it will be time for the teams to have their first experience of running on tyres provided by Pirelli, who will be the sport's sole tyre supplier as from the start of 2011, as Bridgestone leaves Formula 1 after providing invaluable service for the past thirteen years. So Abu Dhabi not only represents the final showdown of the 2010 season, it is also the starting point for the 2011 championship.

www.ferrari.com
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Reliability the number one priority for the Scuderia11.9.2010

Maranello, 9 November – The Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro crew split into two different groups after the Brazilian Grand Prix. The mechanics flew out of Sao Paolo on the night of Sunday to Monday and are now already on track at the Yas Marina Circuit. However, the engineers have made a brief stopover in Maranello where the usual post-race debrief took place this morning. The analysis of the Interlagos weekend did not throw up any particular suprises. In terms of performance, the aerodynamic updates introduced in Brazil produced the expected results but clearly, there is still a gap to our main rivals, at least in qualifying.

In race conditions however, the F10 is competitive at the highest level: if it had not been for the grid positions and the time lost in the dogfights with Hamilton and Hulkenberg, Fernando Alonso could have put the two Red Bulls under a lot more pressure. Felipe would also have had the potential to finish in the top five but the pit stop problem – a malfunction with the wheel gun when fitting the nut on the right front wheel – prevented him from proving what he could do.

Reliability was the main item on the engineers’ agenda. Clearly in a crucial race like the upcoming finale in Abu Dhabi, there can be no margin for error. It will be vital to avoid having any problems right from the start of the weekend, so as to prepare for qualifying and the race down to the smallest possible detail. Between this afternoon and tomorrow, the engineers will join the rest of the crew out in Abu Dhabi, with the drivers arriving in the evening on a direct flight from Sao Paolo.

Throughout the team, both in Maranello and at the track, everyone knows what is at stake, something they are well used to, given that in twelve of the past fourteen years the Scuderia has reached the final round having either already taken a title or still being in the hunt for it. Many elements and factors have changed within the actual team, but Ferrari is always there, at the top of the Formula 1 tree.

Domenicali: We still haven't done the difficult bit

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali has attempted to boost his squad's morale heading to the F1 season finale in Abu Dhabi, by insisting that the Scuderia still holds the upper hand in the championship battle.

While the numbers confirm as much, with Fernando Alonso eight points ahead of Mark Webber and 15 clear of Sebastian Vettel, everyone at Maranello knows that another 1-2 for Red Bull Racing along the lines of that in Brazil would be enough to deny the Spaniard a third crown.

Although Webber would be relying on positions being switched should the top three be running in the same order as they were at Interlagos, Ferrari is aware that it is in no position to complain about the tactic following this year's manipulation of the German Grand Prix result, but Domenicali is keen to reinforce its position of dominance in the points prior to Abu Dhabi.

"We must do the maximum we can," he told the team's official website, "It's clear that, at this point, we still haven't achieved the most difficult part of all, but we will do everything that we can until the very end."

Keeping to the mantra he has preached since forecasting a championship victory at Silverstone, Alonso produced another solid podium performance in Brazil, and his prediction that the title would not be decided before the trip to Yas Marina has come true.

With only the final round in Abu Dhabi remaining, the Spaniard's maths are now simpler than ever, as a second place on Sunday - regardless of who wins the race - will be enough land the title.

"What is clear is that, because we are leading, the others have to do more than us," Domenicali insisted, "If we end up in the middle of the two Red Bulls, it's clear that we will achieve the result we need. But, as always, the key is to concentrate on our own efforts throughout the weekend and not worry about what the others are doing."

Last year's Abu Dhabi debut was not a race to remember for the Scuderia, especially as Red Bull proved to be the dominant force. A 1-2 result - with Vettel ahead of Webber - provided the stepping stone to a senstational 2010 campaign, but Domenicali is keen to point out that Ferrari had already begun to look ahead, rather than bringing updates through to the end of a difficult campaign.

"This time, clearly, we have continued our development, so I'm convinced we'll be in there fighting," the Italian claimed, "But let's not forget that Red Bull has won a lot this year and taken many pole positions and has already won the constructors' championship.

"That proves they've worked better than anyone and they've made the quickest and most competitive car. But we are still there ready to fight at the last race for the drivers' championship."

Alonso's team-mate Felipe Massa will be treading new ground this weekend, having been forced to miss the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after his accident in Hungary, but would not have enjoyed the 2009 encounter as Kimi Raikkonen and Giancarlo Fisichella struggled to twelfth and 16th respectively.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/111120...icult-bit.html
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Sponsorship agreement with Kaspersky lab

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro is pleased to announce that it has signed a sponsorship agreement with Kaspersky Lab, which will cover the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

“Kaspersky Lab is a world leader in the IT data protection field and already this year, it joined the ranks of our partners, as an Official Supplier,” said the Scuderia’s Team Principal, Stefano Domenicali. “We are pleased that they have decided to become even more involved with us. We share similar values with Kaspersky Lab in the field of technical research, striving to be innovative with a strong desire to succeed in our respective areas of activity.”

The Kaspersky Lab logo will already be visible on the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro cars as from this Grand Prix, located on the nose, which is the position it will occupy for the next two seasons.

Ferrari confirm Bianchi as official 2011 tester

Ferrari have announced Jules Bianchi will take on the role of test driver for the 2011 season. Bianchi, a member of the Ferrari Driver Academy, will be in action for the Italian team at next week’s two-day young driver test, which takes place at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit from Tuesday following this weekend’s Grand Prix.

The 21 year-old Frenchman competed in GP2 this season, scoring four podiums and three pole positions on his way to third in the championship. In 2009 he juggled drives in GP2 Asia and British Formula Three, as well as winning the Formula Three Euroseries.

Ferrari also revealed that the top three finishers in this season’s Italian Formula Three championship - Brazil’s Cesar Ramos, Monaco’s Stephane Richelmi and Italy’s Andrea Caldarelli - will get to drive a Formula One car. The trio will be in action in an F2008 on December 2 at the Vallelunga circuit near Rome.

@F1Photographer: Word from Spanish journos is #Ferrari sim says #RBR 4/10ths quicker a lap. Might account for #Alonso's tetchy mood and picked cuticles?!

Hope this isn't true :(

Sounds like rubbish to me, we will see in the next days though!
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Abu Dhabi GP - Alonso: “Not thinking what will happen on Sunday”11.11.2010

Yas Island, 11 November – The biggest media crowd of the season filled the Yas Marina circuit press conference room this afternoon for the obvious reason that all four drivers still in the fight for the title were on the panel. Sitting in between his two Red Bull Racing rivals, Fernando Alonso said that Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro would base its strategy for Sunday’s season finale on its Friday and Saturday performance. “We could change our tactics depending on how competitive we have been up to then and where we are on the grid,” he said.

Asked to pick out the strengths of the Ferrari F10 package, the Spaniard felt there was nothing specific. “I do not think we have the corner speed of the Red Bulls, nor the straight line speed of the McLarens, but overall we are generally competitive over the whole weekend and I am relatively confident in the performance of the car. Whatever the outcome, I will look back at this year and think that, for the previous two seasons I was struggling to get into Q3 and Ferrari also had a tough time in 2009. But this year, we are here together fighting for the title against two Red Bulls, so whatever happens on Sunday, it will have been a great 2010 anyway. At the moment, I am not losing even one second of my energy thinking what will happen on Sunday. We must do the work on Friday and Saturday to prepare for our goal. On Saturday, we should be on the front row if possible, although pole would be welcome! In the race, our target is to finish first and second, but for now it is not our job to believe or not believe in what could happen.”

Fernando is hoping for the best possible race result for the Scuderia, not just for himself. “There have been some races this season, such as Germany, Singapore, Monza where the car has been competitive and we have had two cars on the podium,” he recalled. “If we can do that here, it would be a huge help for me and if Felipe had a perfect weekend, even winning the race, then that would be perfect for us.”

Of the four title contenders, only Fernando and Lewis Hamilton has experienced fighting for a title before, whereas the Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel have not. The Ferrari driver did not think this was much of an advantage: “I would rather have a new front wing at this race or some other performance advantage than have past experience!”

Abu Dhabi GP - Massa: “A really important race”11.11.2010

Yas Island, 11 November – Even though Felipe Massa is out of the race for this year’s Drivers’ title, he could still play a key role, by taking away points from Fernando Alonso’s rivals, which would be a great help to the Spanish Ferrari man “I hope we are going to have a competitive car to fight in what is going to be a really important race and more than that, finish in the front if possible,” Felipe told the media at this afternoon’s regular press meeting, held in the Yas Marina paddock. “Before thinking of that, tomorrow, my first task will be to learn the track, because of all the races I missed through my injury last year, Yas Marina was the only brand new track. I did a couple of days on the simulator back in Italy and I have now done some laps here on a bicycle.”

Although the Scuderia was criticised after the German Grand Prix, when Massa let Alonso pass him in the final stages which ended with the Spaniard taking the win, now the media is suggesting that if the race order in Abu Dhabi in the final laps is Vettel, Webber, Alonso, then the German would move over, in a carbon copy of the Ferrari move in Hockenheim, for the Australian to take the win and the title, otherwise it goes to the Spaniard. “My personal opinion is that both Red Bull drivers will fight to the end as they both have a chance to be champion,” reckoned Felipe. “But if it comes to the closing stages with Sebastian first and Mark second, then I am pretty sure they will swap places, because unless they do this, they are giving away the title to another team. But you need to ask them not me!”

The fact that Felipe is no longer in the hunt for the championship title is down to him having a poor season, with a mixture of some bad luck and misfortune combining with poor qualifying performances. However, when asked about his future, the Brazilian felt the media did not fully understand the situation. “I know what I am able to do and I know I am capable of fighting for a title and for race wins, something I have done many times,” he maintained. “The problem with the media’s perception is that they only look at the present, never thinking about what happened in the past or what might happen in the future. But I am not bothered about comments from the press. I concentrate on what I am doing and I am sure that if I can fix the big problem I had this year, adapting to the tyres in qualifying as they were very different to the 2009 tyres, then I will be back in fighting form next season. I am very interested to see what next year’s tyres will be like, from our new supplier, Pirelli. It is bound to be something very different again.” As for sharing the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro garage with Alonso, this is no problem for Massa. “Fernando is a very strong driver, but I have always had strong team-mates, such as Michael and Kimi,” said Felipe. “I know how to be in this situation, I know how to deal with a very strong team-mate and I am looking forward to overcoming this year’s problems and fighting with him again next season.”

On to more off-track subjects and the Ferrari man was asked about his visit to the Ferrari World theme park, which sits alongside the Yas Marina track. “The rollercoaster is fantastic, really great, the best I have ever been on in my life,” said Felipe with enthusiasm. “It is different to most usual rollercoasters because it is all about speed and acceleration, which can reach 4.8G in acceleration while hitting 240 kph. In an F1 car, our acceleration reaches around 1.6G and braking is maybe 4.5. The feeling of speed is amazing and everyone who tries it will be impressed. The first time you have a go, it is really impressive and then, if you go a second and third time, the best fun is seeing the expression on the faces of people going for the first time ever! But the whole Ferrari World is great, because there is so much to do including great things like the simulators. It is fantastic for the kids and you can also learn so much about the history of Ferrari.”

www.ferrari.com

Abu Dhabi GP - An unexpected damp start

Abu Dhabi, 12 November – Just five days after the Brazilian Grand Prix, the Formula 1 engines were fired up once again at the Yas Marina Circuit, home to the nineteenth and final round of the Formula 1 World Championship. The two Ferraris of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa finished the opening session in sixth (1.44.121) and eleventh (1.45.160) places respectively. The cars did less laps than usual, because unusually for this part of the world, the track was actually slightly damp, with the occasional puddle, until over the halfway mark, because of rain falling unexpectedly in the late morning at this futuristic desert track. Quickest in this opening session was Sebastian Vettel in the Red Bull in 1.42.760, followed by the McLaren duo of Lewis Hamilton (1.43.369) and Jenson Button (1.43.785.)

Abu Dhabi GP - Alonso: “We have got off on the right foot”11.12.2010

“This weekend has got off on the right foot for us, as we gathered a lot of data which is now being evaluated by our engineers. The first thing to do on a Friday is to check that everything is alright and that the handling of the car corresponds to what we have seen in the simulations and after that you have to work on improving performance by changing set-up and aerodynamic downforce levels and that is exactly what we did during these three hours. We are reasonably pleased with the car’s level of competitiveness and the fact it feels easy to drive, but we know there is still more potential that can be extracted to go even quicker. I expect tomorrow’s qualifying to be very tight: let’s hope we can get closer to the Red Bulls than we have been in the past. There is no point in speculating over the possible scenarios that could unfold in the race: we have to concentrate on ourselves and on how to make the car go faster.”

www.ferrari.com

Abu Dhabi GP - Massa: “A shame about the last few laps on my debut day”11.12.2010

“Overall, it was a good debut for me at this track, where I was unable to race last year. My times came down progressively, both because of the changing track conditions and also, as lap after lap, I managed to learn where I could push harder. It was a shame I had a little problem towards the end of the second session which prevented me from doing my last series of laps with a heavy fuel load. I hope to be able to continue to make progress so as to be in the fight for the top places. The car seems to handle well: now we must analyse the data we have gathered to try and make the right choices in terms of set-up and aerodynamic configuration. I am sure that there is room to improve our performance level.”

Abu Dhabi GP - Domenicali: “Taking the outcome with a pinch of salt”11.12.2010

A good first day of free practice for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the final and, at least in the case of the Drivers’ title, decisive race of the 2010 season. A small problem on the fuel injection system prevented Felipe Massa from completing his planned programme, while Fernando Alonso had a trouble free day. “As always you have to take Friday’s results with a grain of salt because there are too many variables at play to be able to draw a really precise conclusion,” commented Stefano Domenicali. “We are tackling this weekend with the same sort of approach that we have adopted throughout the whole season: we are well aware of our target and we will do our utmost to reach it, without spending too much time doing the sums. We can claim to have got off to a reasonable start, but there is still a lot of work to do. We are up against very strong rivals in Red Bull and McLaren and beating them will be very difficult, but we will leave nothing to chance. This is a special event for us: we have many ties to Abu Dhabi, a country in a state of rapid growth and which has become something of a second home for us. Coming here and being able to see a fantastic structure like the Ferrari World Abu Dhabi was really exciting: everyone should come and spend at least one day at it!”

Abu Dhabi GP - Dyer: “Many elements to make the right choices”11.12.2010

“The surprise today was the rain shower which hit the track just before the first free practice session! It’s not what one expects here in Abu Dhabi, but luckily, it did not upset our planned programme in any way. As for the rest, we can say that, at least from what we have seen, it was a Friday like so many others this season. Fernando had no problems and is reasonably pleased with the handling of his car on a first flying lap while there is probably still some work to do on a longer run, especially as at this track the tyres seem to suffer with higher degradation than we are used to seeing at other venues. Felipe had a problem with the fuel injection system, which meant he was unable to finish his programme, but the consequent lack of some data that he might have gathered does not constitute a serious handicap to the rest of his weekend’s preparation. We must try and up our performance level still further, especially as regards qualifying, which will be the crucial stage of this weekend. We have all the elements we need to make our choices.”

Abu Dhabi GP - Alonso third and Massa sixth in second free practice11.12.2010

Abu Dhabi, 12 November – The second free practice session has just finished for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix under the artificial lights of the Yas Marina Circuit. The final round of the F1 world championship is scheduled for Sunday at the futuristic venue in the UAE. The best time was recorded by the McLaren of Lewis Hamilton (1.40.888), followed by the Red Bull of Sebastian Vettel (1.41.145) and the Ferrari of Fernando Alonso (1.41.314). The other F10 of Felipe Massa was sixth in 1.41.583, but forced to retire a few minutes before the end of the session because of a fuel supply problem. For the team the set-up work on both cars provided precious new data for tomorrow afternoon’s qualifying. Then it will be particularly important, as today, to try out the change of light that will also occur during the race which starts at the same time on Sunday. Both Ferrari drivers tried out a rear wing with less downforce than the one they used this morning – and both tyre compounds, hard for the first two runs and soft for the last one.

The third and final free practice session is scheduled for tomorrow at 1400 local time.

www.ferrari.com

Alonso happy if Hamilton stays in front

Fernando Alonso is keeping his fingers crossed that title rival Lewis Hamilton can maintain his strong early form in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - because it will actually boost his own championship ambitions.

Alonso is well aware that if Mark Webber leads home a Red Bull Racing 1-2 at the Yas Marina on Sunday, there will be nothing he can do to stop the Australian taking the drivers' championship.

However, if Hamilton can keep himself at the top of the timesheets throughout qualifying and then win the race ahead of Webber and Vettel, then Alonso would only need to finish fifth to still take the title.

That is why Alonso seemed far from unhappy with his form during Friday practice - and especially that it was Hamilton who appeared to have an edge.

"I don't really care where Lewis is in the times table," said the Spaniard. "For us it was a good Friday because we managed to do a lot of laps and do some set-up possibilities that we need to analyse.

"Overall, it was a good Friday in terms of time on the track, but in terms of how competitive we are and how other people are we know that Fridays are not very competitive.

"For sure Red Bull are still favourites and hopefully McLaren can do a good job here and be on pole - but I guess Red Bull were not 100 per cent."

Although Red Bull has been the fastest team for the past few events, Alonso still thinks fortune will play a big role in the outcome of the title.

"Competitiveness of the car will be quite the key, but luck is also a big factor in F1 to decide a championship," he said. "Overall, if you are quick you can be on the podium. Hopefully we are competitive in qualifying and in the race."

Abu Dhabi GP - Alonso third and Massa sixth in qualifying11.13.2010

Abu Dhabi, 13 November – Fernando Alonso’s Ferrari will line up in third place on the grid for the finale of the Formula 1 World Championship tomorrow at the Yas Marina circuit. Starting from pole position in daylight, before the sun sets for the much of the race, at this futuristic desert track will be Sebastian Vettel (1.39.394) in the Red Bull, with the McLaren of Lewis Hamilton (1.39.425) alongside him.) Felipe Massa will line up on third row in the other F10, having set the sixth fastest time in 1.40.202.

The title-deciding race gets underway at 5pm local time tomorrow

Abu Dhabi GP - Massa: "I will try and do my best for the team"11.13.2010

“On my last out lap, I came up behind so much traffic and it was all very confusing, especially as Hamilton, who was ahead of me, had slowed a lot at Turn 14. At the end of the session, I was called to the Stewards to discuss this incident and also the one with Hamilton again in Q2: this sort of thing can happen as can be seen from the fact that no action was taken.I reached the exit of the final corner, I saw the red light and, instinctively, I thought I had not got there in time to do the flying lap. In fact, I had made it, but I did not push immediately as hard as I could have done, so I came back to the pits when I realised I would not have improved my time. It’s a real shame because I could definitely have done better and therefore started further up the grid. Tomorrow, I am expecting a very hard fought battle between three teams – us, McLaren and Red Bull – who are all very much on the pace. I will try to make up some places at the start and then to do the maximum for the team. However, in terms of performance, I think the situation is better than we could have expected. Fernando starts with a couple of aces to play, which in Poker usually signifies a strong hand.”

Abu Dhabi GP - Alonso: "Whatever happens, it's been a great year for me with Scuderia Ferrari"11.13.2010

“After a good Friday, during which we worked on the set-up, today along came a good Saturday, in which we secured a good grid position, especially in terms of where our main title rival finds himself on the grid. Now, we need one more day at this level and that should bring us closer to our objective. It was an important qualifying session, but you cannot call it decisive, because the race is tomorrow. Reliability and team work will make the difference, as is usually the case. The start? We will see what happens in first ten or twenty metres and then decide if it will be best to attack or wiser to defend. We have to keep in the mind that the world championship definitely does not get won at the first corner, but there is a chance of losing it there. We knew we could expect a difficult weekend, with Red Bull being strong as ever and McLaren at a very high level. Having only Vettel ahead of me, rather than both Red Bulls is positive. It was a very closely contested session, with the order changing all the time. Our first run in Q3 was not the best, because we had problems with traffic, but we knew we had the potential to do better and that’s how it turned out: I started the lap, also thinking about saving the tyres for the final sector so as to avoid the risk of getting there and finding myself in trouble. I am confident for tomorrow but I want to repeat one more time that, however it ends up tomorrow afternoon, it has been a great year for me at Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, where we enjoy a very special atmosphere together.”

Abu Dhabi GP - Domenicali: "A cool head will count tomorrow afternoon"11.13.2010

One car on the second row and one on the third: that was the outcome of the final qualifying session of 2010 for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro. Fernando Alonso was third fastest in Q3, Felipe Massa sixth at the end of a very closely contested session. “Overall, we can claim to be satisfied with this result, especially in terms of the Drivers’ classification,” commented Stefano Domenicali. “Fernando did a great lap on his final run, while unfortunately, Felipe had so much traffic on his out lap that he was not in the best of shapes when starting his final timed lap, so that he even decided to abort it and pit early. Tomorrow we can expect a very long and difficult race. The key parameters will be the same as always – reliability, the start, strategy, team work and the drivers’ ability at the wheel – but more than ever before, tomorrow afternoon, the main thing will be to keep a cool head. We have to stay concentrated on our work: if we can put together another perfect day, then we will have the opportunity to reach the target we have set our sights on.”

Abu Dhabi GP - Dyer: "The strategy paid off"11.13.2010

“A great qualifying from Fernando, which puts in a strong position for tomorrow’s race. I knew the Red Bulls were very quick and to manage to get ahead of Webber is really a nice result. We saw various strategies adopted in qualifying, but I think the one that we and McLaren adopted paid off best. Starting from third with Mark fifth is definitely positive in terms of the championship. A shame for Felipe, who was unable to get a second run in Q3. Considering the potential at his disposal, he could have ended up further up the grid. As usual, the start will be very important but here, more than elsewhere, it will be interesting to monitor the behaviour of the soft tyre in the first part of the race, given that degradation seems higher than we have seen at other tracks.”

www.ferrari.com

Abu Dhabi GP - The penultimate step is a good one11.13.2010

Yas Island, 13 November - Of course, pole position would have been better, but given the exceptional pace of the two Red Bulls, Fernando Alonso’s third place achieved in qualifying this evening for tomorrow’s Abu Dhabi finale is a great boost to Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro’s hopes of clinching the Drivers’ Championship title. Better still, although two cars out-qualified our Spanish driver, only one of them, Sebastian Vettel on pole, is a Red Bull. The second fastest time was set by Lewis Hamilton in the McLaren. In fact, Fernando is the meat in a Woking team sandwich as Jenson Button was fourth, which relegated Alonso’s closest challenger, Mark Webber to fifth on the grid. The Australian will start alongside Felipe Massa as our Brazilian driver was plagued by traffic and was twice slowed by none other than Hamilton. It was all in the heat of battle and no penalties were issued, but it was annoying all the same. Felipe had to back off to give himself a clear run for one final flying lap, but then thought he had not crossed the line before the red light to end the session. Instinctively backing off the throttle pedal for a split second prevented him from doing better.

Tomorrow’s final race of the season promises to be a tough one, because even if a major part of it takes place at night under floodlights, the temperatures do not drop much. It should be a fascinating end to what has been a very exciting season, not just for race fans the world over, but also for those taking part. However, it is quite likely that the name of the race winner might not be the most important one tomorrow, as the Drivers’ crown will not necessarily depend on who stands on the top step of the podium. There are numerous scenarios which could see Fernando Alonso bring the title home to Maranello. Here they are:

If he wins or finishes second, he is champion whatever other drivers do.

He can finish third or fourth if Vettel wins the race.

If neither Red Bull wins then he can take the title with a fifth place.

Alonso in sixth place is still champion, if Webber does no better than third and Vettel does not win.

If the Ferrari man finishes seventh or eighth, he takes the title if Webber is not in the top three and Vettel does not win.

The rule about the highest number of race wins comes into play if Fernando finishes ninth, with Webber fifth or lower and Vettel third or lower.

Fernando would also be champion if Webber is outside the top five and Vettel is third or lower.

He can even be champion if he fails to score points in the race, but only if Vettel is out of the top two, Webber is out of the top five and Hamilton does not win.

Ferrari's championship leader Fernando Alonso hopes McLaren's Lewis Hamilton can aid his title bid by winning Sunday's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel took pole ahead of Hamilton and Alonso, whose closest championship rival, Vettel's team-mate Mark Webber, was fifth.

Vettel needs to win with Alonso out of the top four to be champion.

Alonso said: "Hopefully Hamilton can have a good start, overtake Vettel and win the race."

All four men are in title contention, with Alonso ahead of Webber by eight points, Vettel by 15 and Hamilton 24. There are 25 points for victory.

Equally, if Alonso finishes fifth or worse and Vettel wins then the title would go to Webber's German team-mate.

Hamilton must win the race and hope Alonso finishes out of the points to stand any chance of the title.

If Hamilton wins, Alonso would then only need a top-five finish to guarantee the title.

"I feel happy, very happy with how things went in qualifying," added Alonso.

"Our main worry coming here was a very dominant Red Bull Bull, first and second in qualifying and then in the race increasing the gap every lap.

"With (them) first and fifth we can be a little bit more confident.

"But we need to see how the race pace is, the pit stop. Many things can happen, but I feel confident."

Alonso was down in fifth place after his first of two runs in final qualifying, but he produced a storming lap to grab third at the very end of the session. But he played down his efforts.

"We knew there was some potential there to improve the lap because we had traffic in the last sector in the first run," he said.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said: "It was a tense qualifying but considering the situation it was OK. But now is the most difficult part of the job.

"We know Hamilton is very fast and he will attack because he has no choice. We don't have to do too many calculations, we need to be smooth and clean and we will see."

Luca di Montezemolo: “Our morale is low after the conclusion to this season, but that’s sport. We had everything in place to win the title with Fernando but today, things did not go our way. All the same, I want to publicly thank the team for being capable of getting to the final round still in the fight for the Drivers’ title, staging a fight back which back in July, almost everyone considered an impossible task. We believed in it right to the end and today’s result should not cancel out what we have done this season. In all but two of the last fourteen years, Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro has reached the final race of the season either in the fight for the title or having already won it. Fernando has had an extraordinary season, demonstrating his strength and determination, always being close to the team and making an exceptional contribution. Domenicali has done a great job, keeping the team united at all times, even in the toughest moments. It will take us a little while to get over this disappointment but we have to keep our heads up and be proud of what we have done. Finally, I want to thank our fans, who have always believed in us: when one sees so many Ferrari flags and so many people coming to visit our park here in Abu Dhabi, I am happy that Ferrari is still operating at a high level, especially for them.”

Stefano Domenicali: “There is a great sadness at this moment, because to come so close to our goal and to see it slip away for just a few points really hurts. We made a wrong decision in terms of strategy for three reasons: we marked a rival with two cars, we were unduly concerned about the wear rate of the soft tyres and we did not take into consideration the difficulty of getting past other cars on the track. Now, there is no point in discussing the whys and wherefores of how we arrived at this choice: win or lose, we do everything together as a team. At this time, I would like to thank our fans who have always demonstrated their great affection. This was probably the worst race of the season, but when you lose by just a handful of points, it’s clear that the title was not lost here, or at least not just here. I want to congratulate Fernando, who is an extraordinary driver and an extraordinary person. He demonstrated powers of leadership from both inside and outside the cockpit and we will do all we can to give him and Felipe an even better car next year. I wish to thank the team for the great effort they have always put into their daily work, at the track and at home: few people outside the company would have thought in mid-July that we would have made it to Abu Dhabi leading the world championship. Sure, and I repeat myself, now we are sad, but we have to keep our heads held high. We are Ferrari which means we are condemned to having to win, so a second place is a defeat: but this is also part of sport and we have to accept it. Finally, congratulations to Vettel: he had the quickest car and in the end, he was the best, which the points table proved.”

Felipe Massa: “It’s a real shame the way things went in this race. We had decided to pit early to try and stay ahead of Webber, but we did not manage it and we were then stuck in traffic for almost the whole race, both myself and Fernando. Unfortunately, the cars ahead of us were very quick in a straight line and it was impossible to overtake. At a fantastic venue like this, it’s a shame that overtaking is so difficult. For me, it has definitely not been a great season, as I had expected a lot more out of it. Now we need to react and try to prepare as well as possible for the next season. We made mistakes and we must try not to repeat them. Already, we have two days of testing next week with the new tyres: I am curious to see how they behave.”

Fernando Alonso: “It’s a shame to get to the end of the season and then lose the title at the final moment, but that’s racing, that is sport. Everything went wrong today, from the start itself to the strategy. With hindsight, it would have been better not to pit so soon, but it’s easy to say that when you have all the facts: however, it was definitely not an easy decision. I want to congratulate Red Bull and its drivers: over the course of the season they have had a little something extra than us and they deserve to be where they are today. I had said it over the past few days: this is still a great season. There have been some very intense months and I found myself in a team that has an amazing atmosphere. Now there is some sadness, but I am sure that in a few hours, with a clear head, we will begin to appreciate better what we have achieved. We have to continue like that, staying united and determined. We have to face next year with the same will to win which has characterised this one and, something I learned very quickly, is also in the Ferrari blood. We must improve the car and ensure that the mistakes that all of us – we drivers and the team – have made during the year, are not repeated.”

Chris Dyer: “We are all very down at the moment. We had the car, the team and the driver with which to win the title but we did not manage it because we made the wrong decision in terms of strategy, and there is no point in making excuses. We concentrated too much on what Mark was doing and we then were left bottled up in traffic and that cost us the title. You could say we looked too closely at what was going on behind us without seeing what was in front of our nose. It’s a shame because losing like this hurts, it hurts a lot.”
    Forza Ferrari

Chris Dyer: “We are all very down at the moment. We had the car, the team and the driver with which to win the title but we did not manage it because we made the wrong decision in terms of strategy, and there is no point in making excuses. We concentrated too much on what Mark was doing and we then were left bottled up in traffic and that cost us the title. You could say we looked too closely at what was going on behind us without seeing what was in front of our nose. It’s a shame because losing like this hurts, it hurts a lot.”

I am happy to have brought home points for the team in a race that was always going to be tough, on what has been a very difficult weekend for us. Given the gap to the top four, I certainly couldn't have done more. Starting from further back, we knew we would find ourselves in traffic, therefore having done well at the start, I tried to overtake as much as possible. When we saw that we were always behind another car, it became impossible to think in terms of a single stop and it was clearly better to switch to two and attack. As the mediums were holding up quite well, we thought we'd use the softs for a short stint to try and do a series of quick laps

Event Supplier Companies Abu Dhabi

Please no spam.