Thread: Stepney sentenced over spy affair

Stepney sentenced over spy affair

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87071

Nigel Stepney, the former Ferrari engineer at the centre of the 2007 spying scandal, has been sentenced to 20 months in prison for his part in the affair according to the Reuters news agency - but under the Italian legal system it is thought highly unlikely that he will serve the sentence.

Ferrari originally launched criminal proceedings against Stepney in June '07, shortly before the scandal broke. Stepney was accused of plotting to sabotage Ferrari's cars, and of passing confidential data to the team's main rival McLaren.

McLaren was subsequently fined $100 million and excluded from that season's constructors' championship, while the FIA encouraged teams to avoid working with Stepney and McLaren's Mike Coughlan, the other main figure in the scandal, although this was later lifted and Stepney went on to work in GT racing.

Although the FIA and the teams involved considered the matter closed, the criminal proceedings against Stepney continued. Reuters cites local media reports that Stepney's legal team entered into a plea bargain in a court in Sassuolo, and that today the jail sentence was passed along with a 600 euro fine.
    we're number one

not sure if already posted
    we're number one

He's the Techncal director of the Sumo Power Nissan GT-R's in the GT1 Championship now, he won't serve any jail time...

http://www.gt1world.com/teams/profile/116

They won at Silverstone and the qual race in Portugal binned it at turn 1 at Nurburgring though...

Ex-Ferrari engineer Stepney sentenced over 'Spygate'

Former Ferrari engineer Nigel Stepney, who was at the centre of the "Spygate" scandal, has been sentenced according to the Italian team.
    Stepney was sentenced to a year and eight months in prison and a £500 fine, though under Italy's legal system he is highly unlikely to serve time.
    In 2007 Stepney was accused of passing Ferrari data to rival team McLaren, who were fined £50m by the FIA.
    He had also been accused of sabotaging Kimi Raikkonen's car at the Monaco GP.
    The British engineer did not plead guilty but had entered a plea bargain, accepting his punishment.
    "We're satisfied, even if my client has always denied sabotage," his lawyer Sonia Bartolini told the Gazzetta di Modena website, after a hearing in Sassuolo near Ferrari's Maranello base.
    "We have to thank the prosecutor for agreeing to a plea bargain. Initially the sentence was much higher," Bartolini added.
    As well as being fined £50m, McLaren were stripped of all their constructors' points for the 2007 season by the FIA for their involvement.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/9045983.stm

He could have ended his career forever appreciated as one of the Dream Team. Instead he is remembered for being a traitor and a liar ready to sell his soul for cash. Even when found out he tried to further poison the water by trumping up some story about knowing where the bodies are buried as though he had dirt on Ferrari.
    The only dirt was him and Mclaren who used his information.

Why wasn't Mclaren investigated to see if they had done anything criminal. They could've been charged as accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakefade View Post
    Why wasn't Mclaren investigated to see if they had done anything criminal. They could've been charged as accomplices.
    I guess they have been punished by the FIA and also an apology to FIA Ferrari in 2008 stopped further investigation and proceedings, a $100m fine with loss of constructors is quite a bit in terms of financial penalty. Sadly, not all those involved were not punished by giving immunity

From Wiki:

Friday, July 11
    McLaren and Ferrari both issue statements saying that all disputes between the two teams are now over. McLaren offer to reimburse Ferrari the costs and expenses related to the case and also a concluding payment. Ferrari say that this money will be donated to good causes. In the Ferrari statement it is made clear they will continue their claims against Nigel Stepney.[48]
    Last edited by mad_ani; 30th September 2010 at 08:44.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_ani View Post
    I guess they have been punished by the FIA and also an apology to FIA Ferrari in 2008 stopped further investigation and proceedings, a $100m fine with loss of constructors is quite a bit in terms of financial penalty. Sadly, not all those involved were not punished by giving immunity
    IMO a crimes should be judged by public courts, that's not the FIA's job. Their $100m fine was punishment as part of their participation in the F1 Championship. I think Mclaren should be making monetary restitutions to Ferrari.

It's funny how when Mclaren steals blue prints from Ferrari, people (the usual lot of Ferrari haters) where angry because Mclaren got thrown out of the CWC. But Ferrari tells Felipe to move over for Fernando, and all of sudden Fernando's championship fight is "tainted".

IMO a crimes should be judged by public courts, that's not the FIA's job. Their $100m fine was punishment as part of their participation in the F1 Championship. I think Mclaren should be making monetary restitutions to Ferrari.

It's funny how when Mclaren steals blue prints from Ferrari, people (the usual lot of Ferrari haters) where angry because Mclaren got thrown out of the CWC. But Ferrari tells Felipe to move over for Fernando, and all of sudden Fernando's championship fight is "tainted".
    If you do remember Italian police were at the Italian Gp in Monza in 2007 during qualifying questioning Ron Dennis. All those have been brought to a close. Nigel Stephney shared the blueprints and info With Mclaren's Mike Coughan. they however did not "steal" it. But, they accepted the documents with the designs being seen by certain drivers and employees of Mclaren in 2007.
    Last edited by mad_ani; 30th September 2010 at 09:23.

Ah I wondered when Mad_Ani would try and bring in Alonso

Some people never let go I guess, only posts to mention negatives, totally absent from any congrats to Ferrari in the last two races, says it all really about this fan of Ferrari
    Forza Ferrari

YEp No direct mention of Alonso in previous posts..AM awaiting a celebration when we win the constructors

Ah right so you are a all or nothing fan, only negatives.

Sadly, not all those involved were not punished by giving immunity
    But, they accepted the documents with the designs being seen by certain drivers and employees of Mclaren in 2007.
    We all know what you are aiming at, boring, tiring, repetitive and constantly negative about all things Ferrari. Schumi and Kimi are gone, get over it.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Ah I wondered when Mad_Ani would try and bring in Alonso

Some people never let go I guess, only posts to mention negatives, totally absent from any congrats to Ferrari in the last two races, says it all really about this fan of Ferrari

Power, Passion, Heritage, Beauty, Success = Scuderia Ferrari
    Magnum, Coke, Vodka = Kimi Raikkonen

It was a question of employed of Mclaren who were involved
    Nothing to do with Kimi or Schumi

Just curious as to why Italian justice is unlikely to make Stepney serve his sentence. Is it because he is a foreigner and not resident in Italy, with a prison sentence that they think is not worth bringing him back to serve, or is it fairly standard that sentences of this length are not considered worthy of carrying out the punishment even if you are Italian? In any event, it seems as if he has got off with a £500+ fine and, although he has had to change his racing series, has probably even improved his career earning potential.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift
    that's why its called the present

¡Cadena perpetua!

If you do remember Italian police were at the Italian Gp in Monza in 2007 during qualifying questioning Ron Dennis. All those have been brought to a close. Nigel Stephney shared the blueprints and info With Mclaren's Mike Coughan. they however did not "steal" it. But, they accepted the documents with the designs being seen by certain drivers and employees of Mclaren in 2007.
    It's likely the drivers, as the least involved in the technical part of the design of cars (they provide on-track feedback, they don't look at cad designs XD) were the last to find out, you shold try better at using the haters arguments against Alonso. All the drivers, not just two. Unless you suggest they put in jail 500 people before they consider judging the drivers, I think you should rethink those pitiful arguments.

But I guess if you were an important, respected and awesomely well paid employee in your company and someone provided inside information on other company, something you aren't responsible and wouldn't be punishable for, you would be the first to denounce at the small cost of becoming a traitor to all your co-workers and unable to work for any other company in the future. Aint we internet warriors righteous? : )

Quote Originally Posted by Tiz View Post
    Just curious as to why Italian justice is unlikely to make Stepney serve his sentence. Is it because he is a foreigner and not resident in Italy, with a prison sentence that they think is not worth bringing him back to serve, or is it fairly standard that sentences of this length are not considered worthy of carrying out the punishment even if you are Italian? In any event, it seems as if he has got off with a £500+ fine and, although he has had to change his racing series, has probably even improved his career earning potential.

I am wondering this, as well.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Agron View Post
    It's likely the drivers, as the least involved in the technical part of the design of cars (they provide on-track feedback, they don't look at cad designs XD) were the last to find out, you shold try better at using the haters arguments against Alonso. All the drivers, not just two. Unless you suggest they put in jail 500 people before they consider judging the drivers, I think you should rethink those pitiful arguments.

But I guess if you were an important, respected and awesomely well paid employee in your company and someone provided inside information on other company, something you aren't responsible and wouldn't be punishable for, you would be the first to denounce at the small cost of becoming a traitor to all your co-workers and unable to work for any other company in the future. Aint we internet warriors righteous? : )
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/6995240.stm

It was Ferrari's data what was being used and employees of Mclaren were using it..be it either the drivers, mechanics or engineers. Point is though, all these people were happy to use this information to improve their performance which amounts to industrial espionage, Although Mclaren did not break into Marenello to steal, or hack into Ferrari's servers, it was handed out by a disgruntled Ferrari employee and Mclaren willingly used it.

Atleast now NS has admitted he sabotaged Kimi's car in 2007

http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formul...errari+Stepney
    Last edited by mad_ani; 30th September 2010 at 23:59.

The theft of data was not confined to the blue prints. Have you forgot all the updates via text and phone that were proved, who knows how much other data was passed on that was not discovered. Coughan was Mclarens go between, the team used the data. They handled stolen goods knowing they were stolen goods and then as the texts proved ordered data to be stolen to order.
    Don't for an instance try and water down what they did, I got very angry with Ferrari haters who came up with every excuse in the book to try and make out it was nothing. Mclaren were pants until that year, their car has improved after that stolen data became there's, I don't believe that's coincidence. Just in the way they cannot work out RB and Ferrari's front wing this year, imagine how much better they would do if at the start of the season they had stolen RB blue prints?

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/24649.html

McLaren baffled by flexi-wingsMcLaren engineering director Paddy Lowe has admitted his team does not yet know how to replicate the flexible front wing set-up so successfully pioneered by Red Bull.

The legality of the front wings had been questioned by certain teams before last weekend's German Grand Prix but they were approved by the FIA after close scrutineering. The wings, that flex up to 25mm lower to the ground at high speed, produce more downforce as a result.

"I've seen a lot of pictures on that situation," said Lowe. "We believe, and we're not alone, that two cars - Ferrari and Red Bull - have wings existing at a much lower position than we're able to deliver.
    Imagine how much easier it would be for Mclaren this season if before the season started they had stolen RB blue prints and then got an insider to carry on supplying data to order via text and other communication. I think some forget just how bad Mclaren were between 2000 and 2007, even when they had a fast car it broke down. Then they steal Ferrari's blue prints, destroy Ferrari's legal flexifloor advantage by telling FIA they knew they had it but not how they found out and then all of sudden Mclarens car became reliable.
    No wasting time on research and finding solutions to problems themselves. They would have added RB's innovation to their car, the special front wing and the special exhaust plus the things under the bonnet we don't know about. Or they might not have bothered with the front wing but told FIA just how it works and get them to implement a test so its useless to RB, just like they did with our flexi-floor.

Mclaren should have had no fine just a two season ban. This would have ensured they had to start from scratch when they returned to the sport, after at least of year of paying their hundreds of employees a retainer until they were allowed to build F1 cars again. That would have hurt more than the big fine. For the advantage they got, the fine was worth it. Which big team would not pay £50 million for the blue prints to RB (assuming a crazy scenario that RB would willing sell them) once it was established how good the car was? And then get updates when more data was needed when RB was testing the car!!!!!!!!!!!!

McCheaters got off lightly
    Last edited by steelstallions; 1st October 2010 at 06:25.

Quote Originally Posted by steelstallions View Post
    The theft of data was not confined to the blue prints. Have you forgot all the updates via text and phone that were proved, who knows how much other data was passed on that was not discovered. Coughan was Mclarens go between, the team used the data. They handled stolen goods knowing they were stolen goods and then as the texts proved ordered data to be stolen to order.
    Don't for an instance try and water down what they did, I got very angry with Ferrari haters who came up with every excuse in the book to try and make out it was nothing. Mclaren were pants until that year, their car has improved after that stolen data became there's, I don't believe that's coincidence. Just in the way they cannot work out RB and Ferrari's front wing this year, imagine how much better they would do if at the start of the season they had stolen RB blue prints?
    Yes of course, text messages were involved between NS and MC. When I did mean "steal" , I meant it as a way of actually breaking into Marenello or hacking into our servers.

Mclaren knew exactly when Kimi was gonna pit in Australia thru NS. They knew we were using Nitrogen in our tires.they knew we had flexi floors then..Accepting technical know how as a competitive advantage is industrial espionage

Yes of course, text messages were involved between NS and MC. When I did mean "steal" , I meant it as a way of actually breaking into Marenello or hacking into our servers.

Mclaren knew exactly when Kimi was gonna pit in Australia thru NS. They knew we were using Nitrogen in our tires.they knew we had flexi floors then..Accepting technical know how as a competitive advantage is industrial espionage
    I understand what you mean about breaking into Maranello, but sorry to be pedantic, you are wrong. Though they physically did not have their own employees access the factory, the mere fact they accepted the first blue prints from Stepney and then more information they requested on demand thereafter makes them in law as guilty as the thief.
    Handling stolen goods is obtaining goods from the thieves who stole it, then telling the thieves to steal more, makes you an accomplice. You are in it together and Stepney is as good as your employee as he is acting on your instruction.

No, we were not using Nitrogen in our tyres. That was the excuse the Ferrari haters use, "Oh it's not big deal. Everyone already knows the benefits of using Nitrogen in the tyres". Well it was as specific mixture of CO2 with other gases, not Nitrogen.

If this had been tried in US courts, Mclaren would be writing checks to Ferrari for the next 20 years. Mclaren was interfering with Ferrari's bread and water. Car sales and sponsorship are the two main sources of income for Ferrari. And both of those things are dependent on Ferrari's performance in the F1 Championship. You don't mess with a person's car/house, significant other , or their money. Mclaren messed with Ferrari's money. They are very lucky Ferrari let them off the hook. If it was me, I wouldn't stop until Ron was in jail. He is ultimately responsible for everything Mclaren and Mclaren employees do on behalf of Mclaren.

What they should have done is, told the FIA, Ferrari, and public authorities of what Coughlin and Stepney were doing. But no, they used the info, and cost Ferrari the 2008 WDC, plus who knows how many other victories they've achieved through the use of stolen intellectual property. For sure this whole thing has been profitable for Mclaren. They paid $100m in fines, but they have gained way more than that through tainted victores and championships. And by the same token they have cost Ferrari a lot of money. This is why, I will never any sympathy whenever Mclaren has a bad race. Keeping my fingers crossed for 8 straight DNFs for Hamilton and Button in the last 4 races.

No, we were not using Nitrogen in our tyres. That was the excuse the Ferrari haters use, "Oh it's not big deal. Everyone already knows the benefits of using Nitrogen in the tyres". Well it was as specific mixture of CO2 with other gases, not Nitrogen.

If this had been tried in US courts, Mclaren would be writing checks to Ferrari for the next 20 years. Mclaren was interfering with Ferrari's bread and water. Car sales and sponsorship are the two main sources of income for Ferrari. And both of those things are dependent on Ferrari's performance in the F1 Championship. You don't mess with a person's car/house, significant other , or their money. Mclaren messed with Ferrari's money. They are very lucky Ferrari let them off the hook. If it was me, I wouldn't stop until Ron was in jail. He is ultimately responsible for everything Mclaren and Mclaren employees do on behalf of Mclaren.

What they should have done is, told the FIA, Ferrari, and public authorities of what Coughlin and Stepney were doing. But no, they used the info, and cost Ferrari the 2008 WDC, plus who knows how many other victories they've achieved through the use of stolen intellectual property. For sure this whole thing has been profitable for Mclaren. They paid $100m in fines, but they have gained way more than that through tainted victores and championships. And by the same token they have cost Ferrari a lot of money. This is why, I will never any sympathy whenever Mclaren has a bad race. Keeping my fingers crossed for 8 straight DNFs for Hamilton and Button in the last 4 races.
    may not be nitrogen, but something similar to reduce the moisture effects. Well the information had penetrated thru the entire system at Mclaren at that time, their test driver and racing driver were happy to try out Ferrari's weight distribution. They along with the rest of the engineers are all conspirators in the spygate saga. FIA did ensure that no tech know how was passed onto 2008 car, but its very hard to judge that

Keeping my fingers crossed for 8 straight DNFs for Hamilton and Button in the last 4 races.
    Get in!!!

The future is RED