Thread: Bernie warns the 'worst circuit' in F1 (Brazil) to make 'significant improvements'

Bernie warns the 'worst circuit' in F1 (Brazil) to make 'significant improvements'

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/120820...rovements.html

“Long ago, in 1972, I believed in Brazil and brought F1 here,” the Englishman told the Estada de São Paulo newspaper, “but I can no longer be questioned by the teams about the worst circuit in the championship. The future depends on significant improvements.”

With the Football World Cup and Summer Olympics due to take place in Brazil in 2014 and 2016 respectively, Ecclestone added that he hopes the international spotlight that will necessarily fall on the South American country will act as an impetus to similarly update some of its other sporting pantheons – and if it doesn’t, then the contract ensuring Interlagos of a spot on the F1 schedule until 2015 could ultimately transpire to be worth little more than the paper it is written on.
    Surely there are better ways to tell Brazil to improve the track and facilities, but then I am not Billionaire who seems never satisfied what ever some of money he accumulates!

i acctually love the track 1 of my favourites!

one of my favorites too
    not gonna change my profile picture

Hmmm, let me guess.... ooh, I don't know.... Interlagos' F1 contract is up for renewal! Yes, that's what it is!

Remember Bernie's comments about Monaco a few weeks back?

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    Hmmm, let me guess.... ooh, I don't know.... Interlagos' F1 contract is up for renewal! Yes, that's what it is!

Cynic
    Forza Ferrari

leave the track as it is, thats why it so loved. Proper old school, how tracks should be. None of this 2 kilometer concrete run offs , and massive pit complex with a stupid long pit lane. Should be cramped close and have all the fans right there in front of the pit lane and track. 1 of my fav tracks aswell.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post

No. Interlagos is good until 2015. I think Bernie is right that the track infrastructure needs improvement. I think he's just giving them ample warning that if significant improvements aren't made by 2015, they might lose their date.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    No. Interlagos is good until 2015. I think Bernie is right that the track infrastructure needs improvement. I think he's just giving them ample warning that if significant improvements aren't made by 2015, they might lose their date.
    All depends on the small print. If there is a clause about matching a standard for facilities then this quote from the link is valid

and if it doesn’t, then the contract ensuring Interlagos of a spot on the F1 schedule until 2015 could ultimately transpire to be worth little more than the paper it is written on.
    Though old, articles like this don't help

http://www.grandprix.com/gt/gt00211.html

There are some countries that I enter with glee and others that I do so with dread.

Mexico, which one of my colleagues in F1 always used to call "Hell's Waiting Room", was always my least favorite port of call. Today I dread the trip to Brazil. Perhaps here are golden beaches and luscious jungly inlets but F1 never visits them. We go to the nether regions of the industrial dungheap called Sao Paulo. It has never been very pleasant (Rio de Janeiro was a lot more F1 in image) but this year the trip is looking decidedly frightening.

Last year when F1 visited the city there were several attacks on F1 personnel. Outside the paddock team members had to run the gauntlet back to their hotels, hoping that the traffic lights stayed green and that they did not have to stop too many times. The robbers wanted money and watches. They do not care whether they shoot you or not.

The organizers and the government say that there is tight security. It is so tight in fact that there were at least two robberies last year inside the F1 paddock at Interlagos, which is as hard to access as The Bank of England.

Interlagos is, of course, one of the worst places left on the F1 calendar in terms of facilities. Work is needed on everything to bring it up to what is supposed to be the established norm.

In the last few months kidnapping and robbery seems to have become a nationalized industry. In the course of the last 12 months kidnapping has increased by 400%. There is a new kidnapping five days a week and when the money does not come the gunmen have no qualms at all about murdering their victims. They kill politicians. They slaughter innocent people and the other day they even killed a woman hostage in front of her own house just to get their message across. It is horrible. Politicians are puffing about it and saying that there will be more policemen on the streets but it is hard to see how the problem will be solved when the hugely wealthy live so close to so many poor people.

Philosophically-speaking crime should not be an issue for F1. Grand Prix racing is a sport that goes all over the world for the greater glory of mankind.

We all know that this is rubbish. Formula 1 goes around the world, picking up the biggest checks on offer. The sport allows the city to bask a little in F1's associated glamour. The race in Sao Paulo survives because it is the only place in South America which hosts an F1 event. And the sport needs a race down there to maintain its credibility and keep the sponsors happy.

No-one with a brain wants to go to Sao Paulo and those who can avoid it, simply do not go. Those who must go do so with trepidation - and that was before the current crime wave.

Sport is not above crime. Just a few weeks ago one of the world's top yachtsmen was shot and killed during a robbery in Brazil. But I have no doubt that F1 will go back to Brazil as always, heading into the dark nasty forest like Little Red Riding Hood, skipping along saying "It will be all right" and whistling to make ourselves feel a little better.

But how are we going to feel when one of our number gets shot?
    Last edited by steelstallions; 12th August 2010 at 21:58.

What do Rubens and Massa have to say about this?

Quote Originally Posted by brembo man View Post
    What do Rubens and Massa have to say about this?
    Found this:

Bernie é um anão mau
    In Portugese, but I hope that helps.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Found this:

In Portugese, but I hope that helps.
    Translated, that means Bernie is a bad dwarf ! Did one of them really say that? They were being kind,

what really needs to be addressed is the way the airport in sao paulo operates.

On one of the F1 review DVDs (can't remember which year, sorry), they ask Rubens about Sao Paulo's reputation, and his response was basically "if you don't like it - don't come."
    Forza Jules

First Silverstone, now Brazil! Where next??

Quote Originally Posted by steelstallions View Post
    All depends on the small print. If there is a clause about matching a standard for facilities then this quote from the link is valid
    Very true.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

This is an awesome track, leave it as it is you senile old dwarf!!!

I cant see him getting rid of Interlagos just yet.
    Im sure he just loves to wind everybody up just for the hell of it.
    Interlagos & Monaco rank up there as most people's top 10 tracks which is probably the very reason why he has singled them out.Spa will be next,just wait & see.
    Can never be sure what he will do next but one thing is certain ,never underestimate the power of the wicked dwarf