Thread: Gilles Villenuve?

Gilles Villenuve?

Just picking up on a thread from another part of the forum that mentioned the legend that is Gilles Villeneuve.

For me Villeneuve was the start of the love affair that is Ferrari - I remember my Dad bringing home Motoring News and reading Gilles' exploits in the 126C2 and the shock of his death at Zolder in 1982 - a black year for Ferrari with the San Marino race where Gilles felt betrayed by team-mate Pironi that spurred him on to take one too many risks at Zolder. A year that also saw the end of Pironis career at a wet Hockenhiem and an emotional win for Patrick Tamby.

Villeneuve is a legend not only in the eyes of the Tifosi but in F1 in general.

What other memories do people have of this great man? The wheel to wheel racing with Arnoux? The sight of him trying to reverse his car (312T5 I think) out of the barriers to continue racing even though the car was destroyed??

FORZA GILLES!!

Awesome post/thread!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

The wheel to wheel racing with Arnoux. I have seen this video more than 1000 times and every time i get goose bumps. Only Gille can do those wheel banging race..

Totally Awesome,can you imagine gilles wheel to wheel with the likes of alonso,hamilton & co.

"...Villeneuve is a legend..." you've quoted so correctly

Quote Originally Posted by grinchy View Post
    Totally Awesome,can you imagine gilles wheel to wheel with the likes of alonso,hamilton & co.
    They don't make them the way they used to..
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    Gilles...
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by grinchy View Post
    I think the question should be: Can you imagine Alonso & co in those cars?

I am always wondering why his son (Jacques) seems not to like Ferrari so much. Is it because he blames Ferrari for his father's death ? I don't know. What do you people think?

a few years ago he drove his father's car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFpkHIERNT8

Jacques didn't want to be compared with his father too much I believe. Also Ferrari signed Michael in 1996 so after that it wasn't possible anymore.

I think Ferrari have a rule lately that they only get drivers who have already proved themselves in F1. Gilles Villeneuve was possibly the last exception.

I'm a Ferrari fan but I liked it when Jacques became world champion in 1997 instead of Michael. It was his fathers dream and he made it come true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua70zL52pt0

Sadly, this battle is almost forgotten, eventhough everyone knows what happened in the end.

Great fight from Gilles, Pironi and Arnoux! Sadly, Gilles was robbed at the end :(

Gilles now is relaxing in heaven together with Enzo!! I'm sure they are very pround !! Their passion still exists, showing the way to win. I'm very proud being a follower of this team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sav_pap View Post
    Gilles now is relaxing in heaven together with Enzo!! I'm sure they are very pround !! Their passion still exists, showing the way to win. I'm very proud being a follower of this team!!!
    Im sure that Gilles is right now racing with Ayrton and Jim Clark to see who is the fastest :)