PDA

View Full Version : How will we do in Hungary?

Jose Lorca
26th July 2011, 12:26
The Hungaroring is a track full of medium and high speed corners and a place where top speed is not important. The pit straight is the only realistic place for overtaking and even there it's difficult. In theory, it sounds the perfect track for Red Bull, but is it?

Looking at qualifying from Germany, Webber was in another league in Sector 2, where downforce was most important, but we were second behind them. So my expectations for Hungary were simply to finish on the podium and be in positions where we can take advantage of Red Bull errors. Then I read Mark Hughes' BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14285593.stm) which gave me hope not just for Hungary but for the rest of the season. It says:

McLaren bounced back resoundingly for Lewis Hamilton to win the German Grand Prix after two relatively uncompetitive races. The question is, how?

At the Nurburging, the MP4-26 reverted to the sort of form it had displayed at Barcelona, Monaco and Montreal, when it was arguably the fastest Sunday car of all. The difference in Germany was that Hamilton transcended its natural level in qualifying, usually the car's weakness.

The difficult races that followed Montreal - Valencia and Silverstone - resulted in a dip in form by McLaren but there are specific reasons for each of those.

The ebb and flow during the season of the relative competitiveness between the top three cars - Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari - is largely down to the differing way each of those cars uses its tyres, and the implications of that on specific circuit layouts and track temperatures.

Very high track temperatures on a traction track hurt McLaren at Valencia but had relatively little to do with the poor form at Silverstone; that was all about how adversely affected the car was by the one-off limitation on the use of exhaust gases to generate downforce there.

From Germany, Formula 1 reverted back to pre-Silverstone regulations, the track temperatures were very cool and suddenly the McLaren was right back to where it had been before. It is not quite as black and white as that but that is the essential underlying picture.

The other contributory factors were: Hamilton's stupendous personal performance, particularly in qualifying; the way the very low track temperatures hurt the Ferrari; and the way the long, high-speed curves of the middle sector - combined with the Red Bull's big downforce - seemed to overwork its rear tyres, leaving it strategically vulnerable towards the end of the stints.

And one more thing: McLaren's perfect tactical calls on a day when that was a very difficult thing to do.

The Ferrari remains the easiest of the three cars on its tyres - and that was the main reason why it was struggling in qualifying and in the early parts of a stint.

Felipe Massa tends to struggle with tyre temperature even more than Fernando Alonso but on Saturday even Alonso's tyres were found to be about 15C below their optimum level. They would get into the correct window eventually but only after several laps.

The Ferrari is much improved in this respect since its Silverstone aerodynamic upgrade but the basic trait is still there and the low track temperatures of an unseasonably cool Nurburgring just brought that out quite acutely.

This characteristic paid back late in the stints - as Alonso showed with an in-lap for the second stops that was 0.7 seconds faster than either Hamilton's or Mark Webber's - but it meant it was invariably playing catch-up.

The Red Bull is the hardest on the tyres and were this still a tyre war formula, with teams able to choose and develop specific tyres to suit their cars, it is likely the Red Bull would be untouchable on both Saturday and Sunday rather than only in qualifying.

But with the current Pirelli control tyres, Red Bull's downforce advantage tends to overwork the rears if the corners are long and fast. There was a similar pattern on race day at Barcelona and Silverstone.

At the Nurburgring, the car seemed to be on the cusp of accessing a sweet spot in that regard, showing race-dominating potential with Webber on Friday afternoon race-simulation runs but that was not to be repeated in the race.

Webber has usually been harder on the tyre than Sebastian Vettel and, with the German having a rare off weekend, perhaps that just made the combination of pace with tyre preservation all the more difficult for the team.

The ideal car at the Nurburgring on Sunday - a track with a middle sector of long-duration fast corners but with very low track temperatures - was something that was quick to warm up its tyres but did not then overuse them. Something with good but not overwhelming downforce: a McLaren in other words.

But the weakness of McLaren's DRS overtaking aid rear wing - which does not shed as much downforce as it does on other cars - always tends to leave the team struggling on Saturday when that feature can be used freely.

Hamilton's fantastic performance then - gained in the two major braking areas into Turn One and the Turn 13/14 chicane - overcame that, laying the foundation for a great victory.

However, Hamilton is concerned about Hungary: a traction track likely to be very hot - a little like Valencia, except the corners are longer duration, putting the tyres under even more strain.

That sounds like perfect Ferrari territory. Except for one thing: current forecasts say it is going to be wet...

With suboptimal tyre temperatures we were 3 tenths slower than Red Bull in qualifying which is a mighty achievement by Fernando Alonso. As Red Bull and Ramilton heat up their tyres quickly, we were at a huge disadvantage but still it was only 3 tenths. Is that why Alonso was so happy after qualifying? He would have known if his tyres weren't up to temperature.

The second point of interest in Hughes' article is about Red Bull and it's use of the tyres. Hungary could hurt Red Bull in this respect, with Mark Webber will be hit hardest. I expect Ramilton to struggle with tyre management as well.

Looking at Hungary we should have higher temperatures and softer tyres. Everything seems to suit us perfectly while hurting Red Bull and McLaren. In theory McLaren could be quite far behind here, at least in qualifying. I think we could be even stronger here than we were at Silverstone. It might be close in qualifying but I'm pretty sure Alonso will thrash Vettel with an equally matched car.

The weather forecasts are still early. The Hungarian Grand Prix is ours to win! Forza Ferrari!

Homan13PSU
26th July 2011, 12:27
We're on the softs and super softs this weekend if I'm not mistaken. I think its going to be a GOOD weekend for the Scud.

Rob
26th July 2011, 12:43
Think we will have another good weekend. But, RBR were stunning last year through sector 2 at Hungaroring aswell, as that has some fast corners.

We can do it again this weekend. Cannt wait.

Suzie
26th July 2011, 13:29
Given how pessimistic we were after quali last weekend and how good we were in the race, I think there is every reason to be optimistic. Crossing my fingers for a double podium.

epiclyaddicted
26th July 2011, 14:05
If I remember correctly, we were as much as a second a lap quicker through Sector 2 (Maggots, Becketts) at Silverstone through most of the weekend, even quicker than the Red Bulls! So with that in mind, I think we have a great Hungarian Grand Prix in store. :-D

PURE PASSION
26th July 2011, 14:10
Judging from the 2nd sector in silverstone witch was pure aerodynamics with almost flat out corners,then i'm pretty sure that we will be quit strong here!!!!!

PURE PASSION
26th July 2011, 14:11
sorry mate!!!!Didn't see yours when i was writing mine!!!!

scuderiafan
26th July 2011, 14:29
15C below optimal??? :-E thats a massive difference. how the hell was Ferrari only that far away when their tyres were that cold??

:-D

FerrariF60
26th July 2011, 14:34
If I remember correctly, we were as much as a second a lap quicker through Sector 2 (Maggots, Becketts) at Silverstone through most of the weekend, even quicker than the Red Bulls! So with that in mind, I think we have a great Hungarian Grand Prix in store. :-D

I too see us do really well in the Hungarian gp; I personally think that if we did so good in Silverstone in sector 2 where ONE would need maximum downforce, I think we’re gonna be on PAR with red fools or maybe even better…:pray

Fiondella
26th July 2011, 14:44
Hamster was bragging after the race about how he had looked after his tyres :roll his chin strap needs tightening and lowering

NJB13
26th July 2011, 14:49
If our tyre temp was really that far below optimal, and if we really were on a rain setup, then we must still have a fair amount of work to do in the tyre temp dept.

mm154
26th July 2011, 17:44
We also went quite well in Monaco, (and that was before our major upgrades) and the Hungaroring is know as "Monaco without houses"... I think our chances are really good for this weekend.

Ferrari2183
26th July 2011, 17:50
The Hungaroring is far from being Monaco without houses. The second sector has some fast and medium speed corners where aero downforce is premium. Ferrari pretty much matched Red Bull in the fast stuff around Silverstone, so I see no reason for them not to go well around Hungary.

Just hoping for decent weather.

Homan13PSU
26th July 2011, 17:53
We also went quite well in Monaco, (and that was before our major upgrades) and the Hungaroring is know as "Monaco without houses"... I think our chances are really good for this weekend.

Not exactly. Monaco is pretty much entirely low speed corners that don't require a great deal of downforce (hence the weakness of the 150th was hidden). Hungary has a fair deal of high and medium speed corners that will stress good downforce from the car and heat in the tires. Thankfully in England and again in Germany we were able to show good pace through those corners meaning good things to come this weekend.

Alonsomaniac
26th July 2011, 19:17
I'm quite positive about Hungary. The car as it is now can do well there - as long as the weather cooperates.
Webber and Hamilton are too hard on tyres there, Vettel has just had a sort of mental blow so yeah, the Scuderia looks good -and if everything falls into place... good enough for a one-two maybe....?
The one I am most concerned of interfering with my scenario is actually Button.

Nick Singer
26th July 2011, 19:22
Hope we can put Shamilton (and the Red Bulls..) back in their respective boxes!

:-P

SilverSpeed
26th July 2011, 19:39
When we stop we must change some airflow mechanically that allows us to heat the tyres quicker and after 5 laps we turn it off :-D.

FER
26th July 2011, 19:48
Monaco is quite a different track compared to Hungary. The first one is a typical stop-and-go track where aerodynamics is nothing and mechanical grip - everything. Hungary is a typical fast speed track where aerodynamics is everything, but since we had that fantastic race in Silverstone I dont worry anymore about our aerodynamics.

raylinds
26th July 2011, 20:21
:wineI am very optimistic for Hungary! :wine

theforce
26th July 2011, 21:44
Only concerned about the weather, hoping it doesn't put us on the back foot. Ferrari win is on the cards this weekend.

Jose Lorca
26th July 2011, 21:54
Only concerned about the weather, hoping it doesn't put us on the back foot. Ferrari win is on the cards this weekend.

Temperatures could ideally be 10°C higher, but other than that the forecast doesn't look so bad for now:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5004

Brakefade
27th July 2011, 00:39
F1 website forecasts wet Saturday, but dry the rest of the weekend.

NJB13
27th July 2011, 02:09
Most optimistic I've been for any race this year (and anyone that knows me knows I'm always damned optimistic :-) ). Perfect tyres for us, and now the weather forecast is looking really good for us....
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/spankyham/weatherBudapest.jpg

Anything sunny and over 25 is almost perfect for us IMO. We wont have problem heating the softs while the likes of Macca and RB will have problems making their tyres last. Could be the 1-2 we always dream about in our "wishes" thread might just come true this weekend.

Yeah baby!!

Stormsearcher
27th July 2011, 06:27
Oh. Great news. Sunny and hot is what we want. :-)

If we can pull off a 2 and 4 in Nurburgring... Hungary should be as good. if not better. Looking forward to the race now. :-D

sav_pap
27th July 2011, 07:25
We shall win!!! It's for sure.:thumb

epiclyaddicted
27th July 2011, 08:19
How will we do in Hungary?

We are going to kick some Red Bull backside! :-D

nash929
27th July 2011, 09:27
Just taking a look back at our pts scoring from last year and this year after 10 races :

2010 : FA - 98 ; FM 67
2011 : FA - 130 ; FM 62

For me, it isn't a bad season after all :)

Rishu
27th July 2011, 09:46
Just taking a look back at our pts scoring from last year and this year after 10 races :

2010 : FA - 98 ; FM 67
2011 : FA - 130 ; FM 62

For me, it isn't a bad season after all :)

Yes, it isn't bad but what about the Championship leader?

2010 : SV - 121
2011 : SV - 216

After 10 races, FA was 47 behind the leader, now he is 86. But I know it'll be stupid to rule Alonso out of this Championship.He can still do it.

nash929
27th July 2011, 09:50
Yes, it isn't bad but what about the Championship leader?

2010 : SV - 121
2011 : SV - 216

After 10 races, FA was 47 behind the leader, now he is 86. But I know it'll be stupid to rule Alonso out of this Championship.He can still do it.

I was trying to ignore what SV has done (or RB for that matter) :), as this is the mentality of the team. Focus on the team's performance, not the others :d.

Corey
27th July 2011, 09:55
If Massa starts matching Fernando and Mclaren be ahead of RB, all happening consistently. Then we might still have a chance.