PDA

View Full Version : Rome Inks Five-Year Race Contract

vcs316
11th September 2010, 04:43
Rome will host a Grand Prix, possibly as early as 2012...

A five-year contract for a Formula One street race in the Italian capital was signed at Monza on Friday, Rome Grand Prix officials have announced.

Ahead of Italy's existing race near Milan, they said that Rome would also be featured on the calendar in 2012 or 2013, after the agreement was signed by Bernie Ecclestone and organizer Maurizio Flammini on Friday.

"Congratulations for the results he (Flammini) has delivered," said Rome mayor Gianni Alemanno. "I hope Rome's Grand Prix can start in 2012."

The only obstacles are the objections of residents of Rome's EUR district, and opponents who are fiercely protective of historic Monza remaining the only Italian F1 event.

Alemanno insisted: "The Monza race will remain - it won't be destroyed by Rome's."

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-rome-inks-five-year-formula-one-race-contract/

Ant Raikkonen
11th September 2010, 07:40
:clap

steelstallions
11th September 2010, 08:34
Initially you imagine a race that incorporates going around the Colosseum and using the Circus Maximus again. What a joy that would be.

The reality is far from that.

No Roman Gladiatorial Chariot racing for 2012 but another track that could be anywhere on the planet with no identifiable features of the place its set in.

Stop messing Bernie!!!

hogo
11th September 2010, 12:29
Rome will host a Grand Prix, possibly as early as 2012...

Alemanno insisted: "The Monza race will remain - it won't be destroyed by Rome's."

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-rome-inks-five-year-formula-one-race-contract/
Great news then! :clap Rome could replace Valencia.

vagos
11th September 2010, 13:20
wow that is great!!!!!!!!

RedRebel40
11th September 2010, 13:54
sucks, not a citytrack again

bkircher
11th September 2010, 20:41
WOW!!! Could you imagine a F1 race with a Ferrari driving in front of the Coloseium?? Man wouldnt that be a site!

996 GT1 Lover
11th September 2010, 21:34
Great news then! :clap Rome could replace Valencia.

This was my biggest fear, as well (and I'm sure it was the same for pretty much everyone else, haha).

brembo man
11th September 2010, 23:29
WOW!!! Could you imagine a F1 race with a Ferrari driving in front of the Coloseium?? Man wouldnt that be a site!

Pope Benedict will have a great view from his balcony. And be able to bless the Ferraris as they pass! And a quick blessing on Michael for sure! This is great for F1.

NJB13
12th September 2010, 03:23
I love the idea of another GP in Italy, but there are too many street circuits. I'd prefer Imola

mad_ani
12th September 2010, 04:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iItzJc-NHI4

If u havent watched this already

mad_ani
12th September 2010, 04:28
I love the idea of another GP in Italy, but there are too many street circuits. I'd prefer Imola

+1

The circuit has been remodeled and rebulit...one of the best circuits previously...

PEN_F1
12th September 2010, 13:42
Have they finally got the upgrades to Imola done ???

Aussie
12th September 2010, 13:59
as long as the FIA keel australian F1 i dont care