PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari bulletproof, Red Bull more reliable than McLaren

vcs316
14th August 2010, 14:04
The German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, an opinion leader in F1 circles, has published a table reviewing the finishing record of the Formula 1 teams in the season to date.

Ferrari comes out well on top with an astonishing 1471 racing laps covered, out of a maximum of 1474! Fernando Alonso’s engine failure in the closing stages of the Malaysian Grand Prix is the only blot on its copybook. Felipe Massa has a flawless finishing record.

And interestingly Red Bull has come out second, with 1,373 laps covered. This is despite a reputation for shaky reliability early in the season. Vettel had a retirement in Australia due to a wheel failure, but otherwise, there were occasions when things broke on the car and slowed it down, robbing it of a win, but didn’t actually force it to retire, such as the ignition issue with Vettel in Bahrain. He also had a raft of problems in Spain which consigned him to a 3rd place finish.

Beyond that he had niggly issues, such as the suspension problem in qualifying in Turkey which cost him the pole. They don’t really show on the records because he qualified, raced and finished, but they all add up in terms of points dropped.

There were of course the notorious accidents; Vettel and Webber’s collision in Turkey, which eliminated the German and Webber’s somersault in Valencia.

Mercedes are just behind Red Bull, with three retirements this season and one lap dropped when Michael Schumacher was lapped in Hungary!

Despite operating smoothly in general this season on all levels, McLaren has been more unreliable than its two key rivals. Lewis Hamilton lost a certain 18 points for 2nd place in Spain with a wheel failure, then in Hungary he had a driveshaft failure early on in the race. Even earlier in the Monaco Grand Prix was Jenson Button’s retirement with a cooked engine due to a bung left in the engine by a forgetful mechanic.

At the other end of the scale Sauber’s appalling early season reliability puts them at the bottom of the pile with only 854 laps covered, just over 50%. Kobayashi didn’t see the chequered flag until the fifth round of the championship, while De la Rosa has missed it on seven of the 12 races so far. Since the arrival of James Key as technical director, however, the relaibility and the performance have improved and Kobayashi has been in the points in three of the last four races.

Of the new teams Lotus has covered 1049 laps, six more than Hispania, which is a 71% record. Kovalainen has had six non finishes, of which one was when he was hit by Webber in Valencia, while Trulli has five.

As with the points scoring teams at the front, reliability is critically important at the back of the field. On days when cars in front don’t finish, the new teams can potentially score a result which could transform their championship finishing position and their prize money for the season. At the moment Lotus are ahead thanks to a single 13th place for Kovalainen.

So a 12th place for Virgin or Hispania, which would need quite a few retirements in the midfield, would change the game completely.
Virgin’s car wasn’t able to see the chequered flag in the early races as the fuel tank wasn’t big enough and since the larger car was introduced, Di Grassi and Glock have each had six finishes.

F1 TEAMS FINISHING RECORD, FIRST 12 RACES

1. Ferrari 99.8%
2. Red Bull 93.1%
3. Mercedes 92.7%
4. McLaren 91.4%
5. Renault 86.4%
6 Williams 86.1%
7. Force India 85.5%
8. Toro Rosso 80%
9. Lotus 71.1%
10. Hispania 70.7%
11. Virgin 65.2%
12 Sauber 57.9%

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/08/ferrari-bulletproof-red-bull-more-reliable-than-mclaren/

Timothy
14th August 2010, 16:15
Impresive record but we had a lot of unfortunate results that was not indicative of our true performance

Tifoso
14th August 2010, 16:32
True that,

Welcome aboard :wine

Rob
14th August 2010, 16:38
welcome Timothy.

yeah we had trouble first half season, where we lost valuable points. But hey, what a result that we have 99.8% finishing record. Great stuff.

hogo
15th August 2010, 06:43
The most reliable car, the best drivers, all we need now is the fastest car and both WDC and WCC will be ours!

Agron
15th August 2010, 08:01
The results don't show problems that made some cars ease up on race pace, Red Bull had some races where they had to nurse the car to the finish line, so I think McLaren are more reliable. Still of course, even with those problems those cars are so far ahead they should just had to defend 40s gaps to the next car once they discover they have a problem, not fall from 4th to 5th or things like that.

Impresive record but we had a lot of unfortunate results that was not indicative of our true performanceTell that to RB... their drivers should have double the points than everyone else.

Ste
15th August 2010, 11:17
Pretty impressive figures, just 3 laps missed for us.

Still, luck doesn't play a part in statistics and so the run of poor finishes we had aren't taken into account. As I've said before, without those, we'd be leading the championship/s.

Greig
15th August 2010, 11:42
We might have finished races but ain't we used a fair few engines compared to the others?

Rob
15th August 2010, 13:58
We might have finished races but ain't we used a fair few engines compared to the others?

yeah i think we have, have to check the numbers out.

Sempre_Ferrari
16th August 2010, 08:06
yeah i think we have, have to check the numbers out.

Welcome Timothy, good to see another fellow South African in here ;-).

Rob...We have used 1 more engine than the rest of the top teams so far (check the graph below)....so not too bad I think.

theforce
16th August 2010, 09:19
am I right in saying that Massa is the only driver this year without a DNF?:Hmm

Sempre_Ferrari
16th August 2010, 09:36
am I right in saying that Massa is the only driver this year without a DNF?:Hmm

looks like you are :-)

gvsnraju85
16th August 2010, 13:16
Rob...We have used 1 more engine than the rest of the top teams so far (check the graph below)....so not too bad I think.

The results do not take into consideration the fact that we used a new engine in the very 1st race after we found inconsistencies, and Alonso blew up 2 engines 1 in race and 1 in Practice.......and Sauber (who use our engines) are the last in the standings....i know that when it comes to reliability there area tons of things other than engines to be considered as well....but i still feel that the above rank may not be representative of real facts....and i feel mclaren are still the most reliable considering :
1. JB's DNF was caused by a mechanic's fault rather than a faulty engine
2. 1 of Hamster's dnf was bcoz of a pebble getting stuck in his tyres and causing a puncture (correct me if i am wrong)
3. Other was thanks to webber's antics

ring it (correct me if i am wrong) the other was thanks to webber's on track antics.......

Sempre_Ferrari
16th August 2010, 13:29
You quite right, Macca has been more reliable but remember that our engines had a basic flaw which is why Ferrari were allowed to make changes. Since then we have had no problems that I can think of and the Sauber engine problems were not all related to Ferrari engine problems. Sauber had and still have design issues which is what caused most of their engine failures...I could be wrong but that's how I understand it.

XXX132
17th August 2010, 04:36
Anyone know why Sauber's engines would be less reliable? They're the same (more-or-less) I thought?

Hope we don't get through many more, might really need them by the end of this season.

Sempre_Ferrari
17th August 2010, 05:28
Anyone know why Sauber's engines would be less reliable? They're the same (more-or-less) I thought?

Hope we don't get through many more, might really need them by the end of this season.

I think Sauber had hydraulic issues initially then they had electronic sensor problems which caused most of the engine failures so it seems they were more chassis specific rather than engine specific. Could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am.

The problems for us seem to have ceased since the FIA allowed us to make changes to the engine so I don't think we'll get through many more. However we will have to take care of them from now till the last race as we are one engine down for each driver in relation to our closest competitors.

goferrarigo
21st August 2010, 08:54
We have 2 new engines for the rest. Anyway now we sorted that problem in the beggining of the season we should be able to cope.:-)