PDA

View Full Version : McLaren against knee-jerk SC changes

Ferrari_Fanatic
7th July 2010, 13:55
McLaren has urged the FIA not to make any knee-jerk changes to the rules surrounding the introduction of the safety car following the controversy involving Lewis Hamilton during the recent European Grand Prix.

The former world champion was perceived to have gained an advantage by not being punished soon enough after passing the safety car as it exited the pitlane, following Mark Webber's accident.

The team's managing director Jonathan Neale said that while the Sporting Working Group was evaluating the incident, he thought it would be unwise to introduce immediate changes to the regulations without considering them fully.

"I think we should be wary of knee-jerking in the reactions," Neale said during this week's Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in. "If history's taught us anything in rule-making in Formula 1, it's that lurching from one thing to another doesn't pay off. The rules are there.

"I would be wary of knee-jerking," he added. "There wasn't a lot wrong with last weekend [in Valencia] and I don't think we should be doing instant rule-making.

"But the Sporting Working Group are taking a look at what happened last weekend, with the FIA, and they'll have some kind of measures in response."

Neale said that he believed instances where the safety car was introduced to the race form part of the fabric of the sport and produced elements of unpredictability that are essential to the entertainment factor.

"I think that degree of unpredictability - although sometimes it causes us to smart depending on whether you just luck in or luck out - some of that factor I think is good for F1 and good for the sport," he said. "Whilst I don't think that F1 should ever become a lottery, I do think that weather and the unpredictability of what happens with the safety car and can you call your driver in at the last minute or...

"You can't predict accidents, you can't predict what's going to happen when the safety car comes out and you have to prepare yourself.

"I think that the teams with their strategists have to, as we do, look at various moments in the race and you have to then arm your driver with the knowledge that they may now be in the window and should they see a safety car board – because they will see it before we see it on the timing screen – then they dive into the pitlane."

credit autosport

Ferrari_Fanatic
7th July 2010, 13:56
they would be...won't be able to overtake the saftey car then ehh lewserr:lol

Tifosi
7th July 2010, 14:18
"I think that degree of unpredictability - although sometimes it causes us to smart depending on whether you just luck in or luck out - some of that factor I think is good for F1 and good for the sport," he said. "Whilst I don't think that F1 should ever become a lottery, I do think that weather and the unpredictability of what happens with the safety car and can you call your driver in at the last minute or...

yeah, it's always good for the sport when those that adhere to the rules lose out to those that don't. That sends a great message to fans and teams alike. i.e. screw the system! :roll

Fiondella
7th July 2010, 17:47
"I would be wary of knee-jerking," he added. "There wasn't a lot wrong with last weekend [in Valencia] and I don't think we should be doing instant rule-making.

Neale said that he believed instances where the safety car was introduced to the race form part of the fabric of the sport and produced elements of unpredictability that are essential to the entertainment factor.

"You can't predict accidents, you can't predict what's going to happen when the safety car comes out and you have to prepare yourself.

"I think that the teams with their strategists have to, as we do, look at various moments in the race and you have to then arm your driver with the knowledge that they may now be in the window and should they see a safety car board – because they will see it before we see it on the timing screen – then they dive into the pitlane."

credit autosport

What a joker! Depends what side of the fence your sitting on. The race outcome was completely distorted by SC and Hammy's stalling tactics

Liscia
7th July 2010, 20:18
Why is he so wary? Has someone already kneed that jerk Neale? If not then someone should
after his brilliant pronouncement!

bladeswing
8th July 2010, 00:51
its not a matter of them being prepared. its a matter of them and hamilton cheating :lou

Brakefade
8th July 2010, 03:22
Idot. What so "knee jerk" about fixing a blatant flaw in the regs? It's like getting shot at point blank and saying, "Wait. Let's make sure this guy here with the smoking gun, yelling profanities at us, is actually the guy that shot us. Let's not jump to knee jerk reactions"

ferrari4life
8th July 2010, 03:28
I am tired of listening to these smug McLaren idots. If we are not going to win I hope we team up with Red Bull and beat the living daylights out of those cheats. Hope they remember that the only reason they are still in the sport is because Bernie inter-weaned when they should have gotten a 2 year ban for sure.

Hornet
8th July 2010, 03:40
Nice to see them considering the SC as an element of entertainment rather than for *gasp* safety

nash929
8th July 2010, 04:06
Yeah, he's correct, there are rules in place. But the concrete sanctions isn't clear.

What is clear is that their driver overtook the Safety Car and to say 'theres not a lot wrong' is, well, a lot of wrong in itself.